As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying a Blackberry versus Buying an Iphone -- A few Questions

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
Wasn't sure which forum to put this in (Help/Advice forum or this one), but thought that it's kinda a stupid technology post.

My wife and I have been using dumb phones and have decided to move to smartphones. Problem is that we have no idea what to get. We think we have narrowed it down to either Iphone's or Blackberry's (Bold for me, Curve for her).

I've talked to alot of people about this already and usually I hear people say that if you are a multimedia guy and want to browse/play games then get the Iphone. If you are a text/email/messenger person then Blackberry's are the way to go.

Problem is that I'm both ... I love texting and I love browsing. I looked at my brother's Iphone and although he can type really quickly on it, the whole tap on the touchscreen thing I'm not so sure I could get used to typing out that way. I really like the Blackberry's tactile feel with physical keys -- also have alot of friends on BBM.

The Iphone on the other hand I'm interested in the Apps and particularly the mobile gaming aspect of it -- wondering though would playing games online use large amounts of data?

Anyways long story short I'm thinking about maybe getting Blackberry and Ipod Touch as an alternative to one or the other (Iphone only or Blackberry only). Not to thrilled about having to carry around two devices instead of one but I'm not sure what else to do.

Bamelin on

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is sort of difficult to answer. You're in the realm of personal preference. All I can really suggest is trying both of them out. I know what you mean about wanting a physical keyboard. I'm not very experienced with touchscreens, so I'm not sure if I could ever type as efficiently on one as I do on my Nokia E71. Every time I try to type on a touchscreen, it's a rather imprecise, messy experience for me. But, I assume one can learn to use it. You are right that Blackberries are more communication devices, while iPhones are definitely more multimedia focused. Though, I'd probably argue that the iPhone is a better compromise. It's not like you'll miss out on any critical messaging capabilities by going with the iPhone. But, until Blackberry OS 6 comes out, Blackberries have much more of a "strictly business" vibe to them. Touchscreens are really just better suited for the more entertaining side of a mobile phone (do NOT take that as an endorsement for the Blackberry Storm 2).

You might also consider an Android phone... one with a touchscreen and a slide out physical keyboard (like the Milestone/Droid). That would quite readily cover the multimedia as well as the messaging. Though, you might be a bit limited in choice depending on your carrier. Telus has the Milestone, but I'm not sure about Rogers or Bell.

If you can, maybe give it a few months. Blackberry have a touchscreen and full hardware QWERTY slider in the works, as well as a new operating system. It might be more to your liking, providing less of a one-sided device. The nice thing about mobile phones, is that a bit of patience is often rewarded. If exactly what you want doesn't exist now, it might well in a few months.

Edit: If you're on Telus, you could also look at a Nokia E72. The browser they use is quite a lot better than the Blackberry browser (though, again, that will change when Blackberry OS 6 is released). If it's anything like my E71, it should also be quite capable for music, video, and all that.

floobie on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't think there's anything to the rumor that Blackberry is better at browsing or texting. I mean, it might be better at texting purely for the reason of different keyboard.

I will say that the Blackberry platform is a clusterfuck. There is more steam out there in the web side of things for the iPhone, and with faster hardware underneath the hood you'll end up with a better web experience in the long run.

To me, the only question you have to ask yourself is how comfortable are you with a touch screen keyboard

Jasconius on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would suggest checking out the Android phones with hardware keyboards as well. Android is reallly a nice mix of iPhone app capability and also having models with keyboards so you can get that tactile feel of a physical keyboard like a Blackberry. Though currently a lot of devices are being released with v2.1 and 2.2 should be available on a lot of them in a few months or less.

Also, in 6 months or so, you'll be seeing the new Windows Phone 7 OS released as well as Blackberry OS 6. Both of these OS releases are going to bring a lot of new changes to their respective phones. BBOS6 might be the perfect mix of Blackberry and multimedia that you are looking for. WP7 probably won't be what you're looking for, as it's looking to be a bit limited at release, but has a lot of potential for future development.

Unless you're really itching for a new phone, I'd say wait. Right now is the lull before the big releases for the fall. There are a lot of new Android models and new Blackberry and WP7 devices slated to come out in the next few months that may make your decision to buy a Bold/Curve feel like a mistake. Though I can't say I'm too familiar with the specific release schedules for Canadian providers.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm thinking I may hold out for the eventual release of the Blackberry 9800 which has slider with keyboard and touchscreen (and will also no doubt have BBOS6 installed.

I was interested in Android phones but unfortunately they are not well supported by Rogers Wireless. I've been with Rogers for years and can get really good (by Canadian standards) retention plans so I'm not willing to switch carriers.

Bamelin on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just want to pop in this comment. Blackberries can be great for browsing. However, do not rely on the crappy blackberry browser. Download Opera Mini.

ransim on
  • floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything to the rumor that Blackberry is better at browsing or texting. I mean, it might be better at texting purely for the reason of different keyboard.

I will say that the Blackberry platform is a clusterfuck. There is more steam out there in the web side of things for the iPhone, and with faster hardware underneath the hood you'll end up with a better web experience in the long run.

To me, the only question you have to ask yourself is how comfortable are you with a touch screen keyboard

The way some people swear by them... there must be something to it. I know a lot of people who buy Blackberries specifically for the Blackberry Messenger service. I've never used it myself... but, I have to admit, for a pure communications device, I do like Blackberries. The form factor is great, the size is great, and having a hardware (portrait) qwerty keyboard is just awesome. And they seem to be really well made, considering how long people seem to hold onto them for.

And yes, I'm glad someone mentioned Opera. I totally forgot. As far as mobile browsers go, it rules. I use it on my E71, and it is really fast, and renders pages really well. That says something, considering the processor on the E71 is far from the fastest these days.

But yeah, given your carrier and all... wait a bit. But, do still go try a few phones out in the mean time.

There are a few phones I'm sort of keeping my eye on to replace my E71:

- If Apple ever releases a 64gb iPhone, I'd be all over it. It would FINALLY represent a phone that can replace my iPod entirely. I'd be willing to sacrifice a hardware keyboard for that. This probably won't happen until next summer, though.

- The Nokia N8 is looking awesome. It'll be running a new version of Symbian (finally), and sports a 12 megapixel camera which can also record 720p video (and an HDMI port to output 720p video). All for about half the price of an iPhone 4...

- There's another Nokia rumored to be released soon. Basically an N8, but with a slide out QWERTY keyboard.

- And the aforementioned Blackberry 9800 slider.

floobie on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FWIW, my wife has a slightly older Pearl and she hates it. The phone itself just hasn't held up over the past two years (service/calls are getting sketchy, messaging won't work right, etc). She can't wait for my contract to be up next month so we can switch to something else.

Mugsley on
  • LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My dad went through this, brought home several different smart phones to demo with the prospect of using them at work. It all sort of fell through, and his current phone is some old blackberry, the crappiness of which cannot be overstated. I assume they have nicer models, but this one sure isn't anywhere close to an iPhone.

The Droid's browser kept freezing on a google search and it took me ages to figure out how to kill it for real to get it unfrozen. That was hilarious. I found it slightly more difficult to use than an iPhone 3 GS, and significantly slower. Some people like the hardware keyboard, while I found it more difficult to use than the touch screen due to its relative flatness / stiffness.

The iPhone 3 GS, on the other hand, basically represented such a drastically refined and snappy user experience that I couldn't really see getting anything else, walled app garden notwithstanding. Typing on it is really surprisingly easy. And I assume the iPhone 4 is much better.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is you gotta try 'em all, but I think you are likely to corroborate my finding that the iPhone user experience is head and shoulders above even its direct competition, for media or other uses. (whether it has all the features or apps you need is a different matter I suppose)

LoneIgadzra on
  • KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Typing on a touchscreen is very easy and very fast

I'm not sure why people think they're so weird. The iPhone 4 is really rather unbelievable and, IMO, eons ahead of a Blackberry in every respect. You owe it to at least look at the screen and try using it. Preferably someone that has fun games etc

Karrmer on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's the lack of tactile feedback that causes issues with people and touch screen typing. I typo like a bastard on touch screens constantly no matter how much practice I have.

DekuStick on
  • Jimmy5150Jimmy5150 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I make all sorts of typing errors on a touchscreen as well, but it is worth pointing out that the auto-correction/auto-complete on my iphone 4 is good to the point that I haven't really had to worry about typing accuracy, and putting the keyboard in landscape mode seems to work well for anything longer than a twitter post. I haven't had any experiences with swype or other android keyboards, but the consensus seems to be that the stock android keyboard is complete garbage.

Jimmy5150 on

jimmy5150-wide.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you should probably try out an iphone keyboard for a bit to see how you like it (and whether or not you'll get better at it)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Go to a shop and try them out dude, it is the only way to be sure.

Just like guitars.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • LeoniusLeonius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm going to throw my vote in for Android as well - it's got lots of apps, and more and more are being ported to the Android platform. The browser is solid, and can use Flash if you're running 2.2 (which the Droid 2 is rumored to ship with next month), and the browser with 2.2 loads faster than the IPhone's. I'd at least give the X a try if you're buying before then - and remember that when it gets 2.2 it will probably run 2-3 times quicker.

If Android isn't a choice I'd vote IPhone hands down, I used to have a 3G and aside from having issues with AT&Ts network, they are solid for texting/browsing/and pretty much can't be beat for ipod style use.

Leonius on
    steam_sig.png
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Software keyboard was one of the reasons I was reluctant about the iPhone when it firs came out. Honestly though I was wrong. It took about four days to get used to and is at least as good as the hardware keyboards I used on older phones.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I've always viewed it from the standpoint of, if it's a personal phone, get an Iphone. More apps, more functionality, more user friendly. (Caveat, I have one).

If it's for business use, go blackberry to handle the work documents since the iphone isn't so good about that. Most business users I've spoken do avoid the iphone for this reason.

Also, android, the first platform that lets apps make silent calls to toll numbers where you do not know about them until the bill shows up. Just sayin. Free marketplace is both good AND bad.

I obviously prefer the iPhone, but I also looked at some other smartphones and if it doesn't just 'work,' I want no part of it. I can probably dink with it to make it work, and enjoyed such things in college, but I have no time for it anymore, and the rest of my family isn't as technically inclined. Heck, my son, who's older now, could play games on my iphone at 3. Even my 1 yr old daughter does some simple animal things and color things on it.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Playing with Android phones of friends has also shown me that Android versions of apps are often much less feature-complete than their iPhone counterparts. Not in all cases, and I'm sure the devs are working to close the gaps, but I think if apps/games are a selling point for you than iPhone is the way to go.

I can understand why someone who wants to mess around with customizing appearances or widgets or whatnot would want an android phone, but to me the iPhone still presents a superior experience and has better software.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • blackranger3dblackranger3d Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I personally like the BB more but that suits me and my life. For example

- I don't play any games on my phone (I deleted them all)
    - I don't need an app store with 200K apps, I have like five apps that I use on a regular basis and they do what I need them to do
    - and BB has BBM I couldn't survive without my BBM

When it comes down to it they both do about the same stuff with one being slightly stronger than the other in the various areas (music, video, email, document viewing etc etc). The only definite plus from one to the other is that the BB has BBM and iphone has nothing similar, it can't.

Anyway screw all of us on here.

Find a friend with an Iphone, beg borrow or steal it from them (well don't steal it that’s not cool) and test the "f" out of it.

See what U like and don't like.

Then do the same with a BB.

If you are still not sure buy one of each (figure out the return policy first) and spend a day with each device. Return the one you don't like.

Re the touchscreen.

To realy evaluate one you need to use one. I thought I would hate it too, but it is super easy to use. BUT as fast as I am on a touch screen I'm now blazing fast with a physcial KB.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
    edited July 2010
    I've since heard the Blackberry 9800 should be out shortly with August 15th being the date thrown around:

blackberry-bold-9800-about_engadget-3-431x575.jpg

After watching some vids of Blackberry's new OS6 I think this will most likely be the phone I go with. As I said before, Android phones are great but not well supported by my carrier in terms of OS upgrades.

Still mulling over the Iphone 4 as well, but will likely go with the blackberry. I have to admit the whole antenna issue is scaring me away from the Iphone, and above and beyond that, Iphone plans tend to cost a significant amount of money more than Blackberry.

edit: and I appreciate all the advice guys. I actually have had a chance to fiddle around with my buddies Blackberry Curve and my brother's Iphone. I really liked them both but for entirely different reasons.

Bamelin on
    edited July 2010
    Out of curiosity, what's the deal with Blackberry Messenger that makes it a dealmaker? Isn't it just a IM client?

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think the main issue is it's proprietary and integrated. So it works great out of the box, but you can't bring your BBM contacts with you if you move to a non-BB phone.

Mugsley on
    edited July 2010
    I think BBM doesn't use (cost) any data either .... My buddy got a Blackberry with no data plan but he can still use BBM.

Bamelin on
    edited July 2010
    DVG wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what's the deal with Blackberry Messenger that makes it a dealmaker? Isn't it just a IM client?

Features
    - instant commuication with any other BB user, regardless of there cell provider (need to know there pin)
    - can send pictures and voice notes
    - messeges are using your data plan and there is no extra charge (except for data overages or roaming)
    - data sent and recieved is super duper tiny so no realy worries except for roaming
    and not sure if iphones can do this
    - I can turn off mobile network log on to a wifi network and still send and recieve bbm's and get my e-mail (i did this last time I was away, stayed in touch and avoided crazy charges)

My inlaws are in China and I can talk to them and send them pictures instantly over BBM. Its great for quick converstaions anywhere.

BBM is the default method of communication between BB users its quick and free.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA
    edited July 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    I think BBM doesn't use (cost) any data either .... My buddy got a Blackberry with no data plan but he can still use BBM.

It does use data. It doesn't cost anything to use BBM, unless you go over your data limits. beaten. And I forgot roaming.

DekuStick on
    edited July 2010
    From how I understood it with my carrier they did not count BBM against data charges ... but it might be rolled into some type of unlimited social networking package that includes BBM, Facebook, Twitter, etc

Bamelin on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah it looks like rogers offers unlimited email and im with blackberry only data plans.

DekuStick on
    edited July 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »
    From how I understood it with my carrier they did not count BBM against data charges ... but it might be rolled into some type of unlimited social networking package that includes BBM, Facebook, Twitter, etc

Hmmm I would have sworn that it cost data, but your explanation seems feasable too. Well no matter the amount of data is miniscule.

blackranger3d on
    BOOM SHACK A LAKA