As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got 99 Problems But The Bench Ain't One

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    His power comes from the dick tattooed on his chest.

haha wtf is that tatoo, I never did get that.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's an ornamental norse dick sword. Vikings used to carry them into battle.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's an ornamental norse dick sword. Vikings used to carry them into battle.

It's a pretty GD terrible tatoo. And I've seen some bad ones. I have a friend who has 'drama' in grafitti on one arm, a friend with random dragons tatoo'd all over his body for no reason, and I've seen countless bar codes and chinese lettering on random people at the gym.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My inspiration for deads today:

[ul]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1MgbRluFGQ[/url]

mmmm nosebleeds

Jesus christ, that dude is like 100% back muscles

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    His explanation is that it's to help him remember a bad time in his life. I think it's to remind him of the time he got drunk and had a dick tattooed on his chest.

Peen on
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My goal now is to only ever lift enough weight to give me a nosebleed.

Probably won't take 360kg to do that, though.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh God hitching 360kg seems like a bad idea. I cannot conceive of how strong his lower back is to take that abuse.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The fun part about doing the Atlas stones is you have to round your lower back to hook them and get them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZHrc_4JzNc

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Again, on phone so can't post it but there is a great video of ed coan grinding out a squat in the mid 900s and the camera zooms in on his face to show his nose pissing out blood. Love watching that man lift.

t peen- I know i'm pretty much a shill these days but i'm feeling pretty good on superpump

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks everybody, I'll see what's what in the store. I know I'm going to get a mountain of shit for this from my wife (mocking, not mean) because she already thinks drinking protein shakes is silly so I'm gonna try to find the thing with the least outrageous and neon container.

Peen on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I put mine into a tupperware container and threw the original out asap. Supplement packaging is always just the most awful thing ever.

Actually, second most awful thing ever next to supplement advertising.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Check out the traps on guy.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok so I read this, is the advice good
    working out is starting to become like leveling up in a RPG and I need the best guides
    http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/why_when_you_should_have_a_protein_shake/

Edit: Also I heard fasting after a protein shake is good, for up to 3 hours, confirm/deny

Franko on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Picked up some superpump today, and I was prettied satisfied. After all my travelling and a week since my last time in the gym, I was pretty happy to nail 3x5 175lb squat and 3x5 145lb bench. And even though the weight was about the same, using 35lb DBs for bench felt better than 15kg ;p

tehmarken on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Franko wrote: »
    Ok so I read this, is the advice good
    working out is starting to become like leveling up in a RPG and I need the best guides
    http://www.exercisebiology.com/index.php/site/articles/why_when_you_should_have_a_protein_shake/

Edit: Also I heard fasting after a protein shake is good, for up to 3 hours, confirm/deny

That study seems kinda bizzare, because generally Creatine and Protein don't get taken at the same time. From what I've heard, Creatine is good pre and post workout, and Protein is good to have through the day and especially before sleep.

And the fasting thing, I don't know. Prolly good for keeping you from adding too much body fat along with the muscle. It prolly depends on how many calories are in your protein shake.

tehmarken on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ya I just read even more stuff, kind of answered some of my questions
    obviously I try to take most things with a grain of salt, considering the fact it all comes from the internet and protein pushing advertisers

would any of you bulkers mind posting your daily diets, weight and what your daily protein/calorie intake

Franko on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    tehmarken wrote: »
    Picked up some superpump today, and I was prettied satisfied. After all my travelling and a week since my last time in the gym, I was pretty happy to nail 3x5 175lb squat and 3x5 145lb bench. And even though the weight was about the same, using 35lb DBs for bench felt better than 15kg ;p

read this as superdump and was like wow! Now thats a product. :P Reality did not meet my expectations.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Free HotelFree Hotel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How is ~4-5g of beta alanine (split up throughout the day) and 5g of creatine daily for supplements on a weight loss plan?

I did box squats yesterday to try and reset my squat form yesterday and found it immensely helpful. I think I fixed my problems and am going to start back at 155 lbs for squats next week.

Free Hotel on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ba and creatine will help you get you through your workouts better and be able to go at it harder.

You might experience some water retention with the cr but it will be minimal.

I say its worth it.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Things I found out at the gym today:
    -I don't like front squatting.
    -The weight stacks on the pulley towers are in Kg; I put 35 on for my cable upright rows and was totally confused about why it was so heavy.
    -I still like push pressing.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    front squats fucking suck

never liked em, never will

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Front squats are awesome wrapped awesomeness. There's only two things more fun than front squats. Box front squats. And Zercher squats. I loves me them Zercher squats.

And if you're working on upping your push press, put some time in on the front squats.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kako you know this means we must battle

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was dicking around with push pressing, I don't think I'm really going to add it as a serious thing. And Kak I'm weak man, I'm not going to advertise my weakness by pulling Zercher squats with an empty bar.

I think you guys should have a workout battle set to cloying 80s pop music.

Peen on
  • Options
    TourmaletTourmalet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't mean to detract too too much from the bigman thread, but have any of you read anything by one Mark F. Twight? He is very well known in the endurance sport community (he is a champion alpinist and all around badass).

The lifting is less for the sake of lifting, but more for achieving certain athletic goals (his clients range from NFL Players to amateur-almost-professional cyclists, to pro rock climbers and UFC fighters). The interesting thing about it is that he uses the same lifting techniques and principals for each one of the people he trains but he varies the weight. I find it fascinating that whatever lifting program he prescribes translates so well to such a range of different sports.

He is also the guy who trained the entire cast for 300 and made them look sexy for the cameras.

Anyways, here is a link if anyone is interested. Great for inspiration when I don't feel like training that day.

http://www.gymjones.com/index.php

Tourmalet on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Front squats rule, strong quads are useful and and the ab work and so forth is great. Best I have done is 315#x3, though it was an easy triple and I might have gotten away with another 10-15# on the bar. Huge carryover to push presses and the olympic lifts.

The best workout supplement in the world is ice cream. If you aren't eating and sleeping plenty, all the powders and pills don't mean shit.

big l on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Smoothest muscle-up I have ever seen, 17 seconds in. Just sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q8KMnWUsvg&feature=player_embedded

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    big l wrote: »
    If you aren't eating and sleeping plenty, all the powders and pills don't mean shit.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Front squats just don't meet any of my needs right now. So therefore they must be bad.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    King NadaKing Nada Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    big l wrote: »
    Front squats rule, strong quads are useful and and the ab work and so forth is great. Best I have done is 315#x3, though it was an easy triple and I might have gotten away with another 10-15# on the bar. Huge carryover to push presses and the olympic lifts.

The best workout supplement in the world is ice cream. If you aren't eating and sleeping plenty, all the powders and pills don't mean shit.

Why ice cream? Seems counter intuitive.

King Nada on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    King Nada wrote: »

Ice cream tastes awesome and has a lot of calories per serving.

If your goal is to gain weight, then I'm not seeing how ice cream is counter-intuitive in any way

Herkimer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Herkimer wrote: »

If your goal is to gain weight, then I'm not seeing how ice cream is counter-intuitive in any way

Yeah I don't get it either. Weight sure, but that's a LOT of sugar, I'd think you'd be putting on a lot more fat then you would staying with clean eats.

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did dead lifts for the first time today. I never did them before because I have lower back issues.

It was okay during, but afterwards my lower back felt like I had pulled it.

It is alright during squats, though makes itself noticed on occaision.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    milehighmilehigh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey, long time lurker of this and the (now dead) H&A fitness blahblahblah thread.

Wondering if anyone here has experience with lifting and sciatica. Just got the word from my doctor that I do in fcat have sciatica, and anything that could potentially compress the nerves in the back is a no-no. So I just lost deadlifts, squats and lunges in my leg workout and am thinking I may need to switch away from super heavy dumbbells to barbells (as they don't require picking up and moving). Also any high impact cardio is out, but I am considering taking up swimming.

Basically looking for any general advice because it seems as though this is a pretty common thing. I'm seeing a physical therapist next week and going to see what he says about a lifting routine. I feel like my legs just lost any chance they have of becoming super massive. Though I'm content with the size I'm wondering what other lifts I could put together that wouldn't aggrivate my back (if any) to keep them in decent shape.

milehigh on
  • Options
    FarthingFarthing Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    spazmojack wrote: »
    Farthing wrote: »
    Hey bigman thread.

chipped my tooth during press yesterday! Hit my chin on the way up because i was talking to my friend.

but it did prompt me to check/fix my form. So silver linings and such.

were you on warmups or somthing?

usually while i'm benching, the only sounds coming out of me might be something like "hurrrrrrrrRRRrrr!!"

everything else is focused on not dropping a big stack of iron on my face.

Yeah, this was push press. Perhaps I should have been more specific, I said something to my friend, then started raising the bar not thinking about form. Silly me.

And my working weight for push press isn't really at "hurrrrrrrrRRRrrr!!" standards, at any rate.

Farthing on
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    farthing: gotcha, was just curious is all, more-so when i thought it was bench-press you were referring to and what kind of crazy form that would have been to knock your jaw.

milehigh: i'm by no means a PT nor a medical expert, but i would think that doing exercises that don't involve back muscles would be counterproductive. i.e., they would atrophy and be less capable of supporting the weight on your frame, thereby increasing the strain on your spine. of course you wouldn't be doing exercises with extreme weights and you'll probably have to stretch a lot more often, but i'd be interested in hearing what your PT will have to say.

spazmojack on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »

You're great and all J.

But my money's on Kako.
    Assuming he can catch you. :lol:

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Jyardana wrote: »

You're great and all J.

But my money's on Kako.
    Assuming he can catch you. :lol:

Hah. Only if Jyar's in the Masters division. And I've been just been on a low volume maintenance program lately with how busy work has been and the damn colds.

Milehigh, wait and see what the PT says. What's the source of the sciatic pain? If it's a herniated or bulging disc, you need to really watch the lifting so you don't cause permanent damage. Other sources can almost always get treated by therapy.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Yeah I don't get it either. Weight sure, but that's a LOT of sugar, I'd think you'd be putting on a lot more fat then you would staying with clean eats.

gonna expose myself here as OMG TEH HERETIC:

I have never seen any solid evidence that "eating clean" offers any difference in body composition over eating "dirty," so long as protein intake and total calories are the same.

Health differences? Yeah maybe. And certainly "clean" food tends to be high in fiber, which can blunt hunger. I'm not saying that shit's a useless concept.

But the leanest I ever got (around 8%, visible 6 pack and the top two were starting to come out), I was murdering a pizza and a six-pack at least once a week.

Herkimer on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

I have never seen any solid evidence that "eating clean" offers any difference in body composition over eating "dirty," so long as protein intake and total calories are the same.

That's the big if there. But there is nothing wrong with carbs, pizza, junk food as long as you don't overdo it and stuff your food hole to the brim with it.

It's harder to get too many calories from say, broccoli or brussel sprouts than candy and soda. That's the advantage from eating "cleaner", is you don't have to watch quantities so much.

I personally don't like refined carbs just because I don't like the way it spikes my energy. If I'm eating something with them, I'm fine. But that's just personal preference.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

gonna expose myself here as OMG TEH HERETIC:

Health differences? Yeah maybe. And certainly "clean" food tends to be high in fiber, which can blunt hunger. I'm not saying that shit's a useless concept.

But the leanest I ever got (around 8%, visible 6 pack and the top two were starting to come out), I was murdering a pizza and a six-pack at least once a week.

What were you doing that let you keep a 6 pack while drinking beer? Bike messenger?

Joe Chemo on
This discussion has been closed.