As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fairskinned Lad Looking for a Sunhat

SamyazaSamyaza Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've made a terrible mistake. I've lost my hat, and I'm not getting it back. I'm looking to replace it with one that's as similar as possible, but I'm really having no luck. The most difficult part is that I don't know what I'm searching for; the material (some type of coconut fiber?), style, and where it was from are all unknown to me. I do, however, have some pictures of it in better days.

Can anyone tell me where to get a hat like this, or what I should be searching for?

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

It was easy to clean, easily reshaped when it got crumpled, kept the sun off my head, and generally did all the things hats are supposed to do, and I miss it very much.

Thanks in advance, kind Helper & Advisers.

Samyaza on

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Something like this?

coconut-fedora-hat-jason-mraz.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Try this or this?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    As an aside, because you're so pale, that white hat is not doing you any favors (colorwise). Go for something along the lines of what Joshofalltrades showed you.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That first hat is also available on that site I linked to in my second post. They have a bunch of really cool looking hats there.

Kinda pricey, though, but it looks like they are well-made anyway.

Holy shit, I may have to make a purchase there sometime :o

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions, Josh. Those Bailey Barnett open-weave straw hats are the closest thing I've seen on the internet so far, but boy, 55 dollars takes the wind out of my sails. The old one just seemed so floppy and cheap, that was part of the appeal. The band on the outside was just printed on, and the brim was just the material of the crown doubled over so that it wasn't so floppy as to fall in your face (and to block the sun a little better?). I think it might have been an item that's too low quality to find on these online hat stores, I might just have to wait around until I see it at a dollar store or something. I think it's fairly common, as I saw at least two hats like this on locals while I was traveling.

Samyaza on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Samyaza wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestions, Josh. Those Bailey Barnett open-weave straw hats are the closest thing I've seen on the internet so far, but boy, 55 dollars takes the wind out of my sails. The old one just seemed so floppy and cheap, that was part of the appeal. The band on the outside was just printed on, and the brim was just the material of the crown doubled over so that it wasn't so floppy as to fall in your face (and to block the sun a little better?). I think it might have been an item that's too low quality to find on these online hat stores, I might just have to wait around until I see it at a dollar store or something. I think it's fairly common, as I saw at least two hats like this on locals while I was traveling.

Well, good luck to ye. I'm a hat guy who notices a difference between a $2 ball cap and a nice under armor cap that breathes during a long tennis match, so I don't really bat an eye at the $55 mark, but I can see how someone might not be too happy about that price.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's odd, normally I'm the one that is crusading for paying more for a better, higher quality product. I know that a fine Panama hat can run hundreds of dollars, but that's just not what I need (even if I do want it.)

In my personal search, I think that the material I'm looking for is called hinoki (perhaps hanoki?), but google is coming up dry. I'll keep my eye out.

Samyaza on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CREAMY-WHITE-TRILBY-PANAMA-FEDORA-STRAW-LOOK-UNISEX-HAT-/180521429545?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a07ea6a29

Just go on ebay and type in panama hat, or trilby hat, and sort the list by "Price + Shipping, Lowest", and click "Buy it NOW only". Lots of stuff comes up under 10 bucks.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.