As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's more info floating around.

Basically, the plan is to show the REAL game at e3. This was an early test build, and not indicative of the final product at all.

There are a few glaring holes in the gameplay right now. First up, Tekken characters have NO LINKS, while the Street Fighter characters have theirs. This means that not only is it nearly impossible for Tekken characters to hit confirm into combos, but even something like c lp. is about worthless, since it can't even chain into itself.

Ono was blathering about how Tekken players could use the 4 button Tekken controls and Street Fighter players can use 6 button Street Fighter controls, and it was unclear what he meant. It's not quite that: Tekken characters still need all 6 buttons to access their moves, but whenever a Tekken character has what is basically a target combo, in Street Fighter terms, but is really one of their standard Tekken strings, the execution of it is done through the equivalent of Tekken's 4 button setup. For example, Kazuya has 1,2,2 in Tekken, so in Tekken x Street Fighter he has lp, mp, mp.

Right now the tag cancels are pretty much a surrogate for FADCs. They cost 1/3 of the super meter and allow the character to cancel any move and tag in their partner. Used on a block move, like an SRK, it would be about the same as what you get in Street Fighter 4: an unsafe move is made safe by cancelling out of it before it can be punished.

Each character has a SINGLE special move they can charge; they can't do it with every special move. So, Ryu can charge his fireball, but not his SRK. Charging the move to level 2 makes it ex for no meter, charging it to level 3 makes it a super for no meter. Charging to level 3 takes several seconds and is totally impractical. In fact, it many of the charge moves are impractical. Ryu can charge his fireball and use that to change the timing, which is great for him, but someone like Kazuya gets to charge their EWGF, which means they're standing in place, completely vulnerable.

This will be important to a lot of people: Ono has said that the full roster will be as good or better than the biggest rosters in fighting games today. Tekken 6 and Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition are both 40 characters (Tekken 6 is over 40 with clones). Discounting Tekken Tag Tournament 2, what he's saying is that Street Fighter x Tekken will probably have a minimum of 20 characters per side. He's also said that he's choosing Tekken characters not based on how easy they'd be to transfer to Street Fighter, but on how difficult or obscure they are, so expect some surprises. Unlike Marvel vs Capcom 3, the characters will be announced in batches, not pairs. Probably 2 per side.

The other glaring hole in the gameplay is that there is no comeback system in place, something that's now standard to Capcom and Tekken games. What we see in the current vids is not what the game has planned for launch: there will be additional systems in place, and one of them will be a comeback system, something other than Rage or Ultras, but the direction the game is going I'd put money on something like Tekken Tag Tournament 1's partner rage system, where if the legal character took a certain amount of damage, the untagged character would become enraged and when tagged they would get a damage boost. Maybe a partner Ultra or something; it will have to do with tagging.

I was also right about the ground techs. You can use a roll to completely avoid a meaty cross-up, but you can punish rolls with sweeps, and they're vulnerable during recovery.

That's all I remember right now.

One last thing: The game IS NOT coming out for PC. That was a mistake.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    *Gasp!* Guile... actually looks... fun... to play as!

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this game looks weird. everyone seems to be cooked in bacon grease.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is bob?
    Is that a new Tekken 6 character?
    I still need to pick up 6.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yep. Rufus' design was was inspired by Bob.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2LgFy4IbM&feature=player_embedded

WHO THE FUCK IS THAT!?

Why the fuck would you give us such a hard teaser capcom?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Antihippy wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN2LgFy4IbM&feature=player_embedded

WHO THE FUCK IS THAT!?

LOL. I'm amazed she got picked. I mean, I like Cammy but...well, I dunno I figured Sakura would be a more likely candidate with all the school girls running around in Tekken but...yay?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    WHO THE FUCK IS THAT!?

Hakan confirmed for SF X Tekken!

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea why anyone wouldn't think that cammy wouldn't be in this game.

Also I have no idea why capcom would do this elaborate teaser trailer and make it so flipping obvious instead of giving us something we want. Like gameplay.

Antihippy on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah. Cammy is probably one of the better fits for this game. Can't say it's much of a teaser.

Dragkonias on
  • SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    maybe someone we haven't been able to play before like karin or elena would justify a trailer like that

Sillender on
    edited May 2011
    Antihippy on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

It wouldn't be a Street Fighter game without every possible combination of fireball/uppercut characters.

Walt on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, whos blurry arm...thing...is next to bob on the right?
    24_sfxtscreen02.jpg

Also apparently Ono plays MK9.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Finally, a reveal for the other side:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwCdTzZugs

Wearingglasses on
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm hoping for blanka. Not likely though, is it?

hadoken on
    edited May 2011
    Julia vs T. Hawk.

Round 1

FIGHT

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hadoken wrote: »

I'd be very surprised if Blanka isn't included.

My worry is that all the Street Fighters will just be from #4.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    edited May 2011
    hadoken wrote: »

My worry is that all the Street Fighters will just be from #4.

Have they said or hinted at how big of a roster theyre aiming for?

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2011
    I can't access the article on SRK because of the revamp, but Ono did a interview with French website Jeuxvideo that mentions 35 characters.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hmmmm... as far as Rufus goes I can't tell if he has a high chance or a low chance.

I mean on one hand he and Bob are so similar that it would be even more redundant having the two of them than Ryu and Ken.

On the other hand the dev teams have a heated rivalry and I can't think of better characters to represent that than Rufus and Bob. And lets face it, they would make the perfect team or rivalry... like a two piece puzzle.

I wouldn't take that bet one way or the other. I would love to have a Rufus/Bob team though.... although the last thing the world needs is another earthquake. I may have to main Bob Sagat though.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm looking forward to seeing Ryu and Sagat finally team up.

BTW, anyone notice that in the first trailer, there are two partially obscured fighters that appear next to Sagat and Hworang's character art? Can anyone make them out?

T-Danger on
    edited June 2011
    I think so far people have found lili and asuka in the trailer.

Antihippy on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I think the Street Fighter gang should sit down with Dr. Phil and you know... talk it out. Get to the root of these anger issues, find out why they feel the need to fight everybody ever

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Team Bob Sagat will be popular. :P

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing Ryu and Sagat finally team up.

BTW, anyone notice that in the first trailer, there are two partially obscured fighters that appear next to Sagat and Hworang's character art? Can anyone make them out?

The character next to Sagat is Dhalsim, and the one next to Hwoarang is Steve Fox.

I downloaded a high quality trailer version of that trailer. I'll try to take some pics.

EDIT: Here we are.

dhalsimsfxtk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

stevefoxsfxtk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Nice catch :^:

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Baka_ShadeBaka_Shade Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Haha, according to an interview with Ono, the only character not being considered for the game is Dan, because Kazuya straight up killed him in that first trailer.

Also, the music playing in both gameplay trailers are remixes of Heihachi's theme, one from Tekken 2 and the other from 3. Not that he wasn't a sure bet to begin with.

Baka_Shade on
    kanpilgrimsigfinal2.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Baka_Shade wrote: »
    Haha, according to an interview with Ono, the only character not being considered for the game is Dan, because Kazuya straight up killed him in that first trailer.

Also, the music playing in both gameplay trailers are remixes of Heihachi's theme, one from Tekken 2 and the other from 3. Not that he wasn't a sure bet to begin with.

Team Gen/Wang vs Team Fei/Law would be an entertaining thing to see.

I was going to put "Fei Lawng" but thought that might be going too far.

Taramoor on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is that Kunimutsu in the background there in that Julia Chang and Hwoarang gameplay trailer? I miss that character.

BloodySloth on
    edited June 2011
    Baka_Shade wrote: »

Screw Ono, Dan is the best character. It'll probably be alright though. He'll probably turn up in SFXT2. He'll have just been knocked unconscious only to have Ryu mistake him for dead.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited June 2011
    I like how Hwoarang's movelist is copied wholesale from King of Fighters.

And nobody talking about the Infamous guest character?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is that Kunimutsu in the background there in that Julia Chang and Hwoarang gameplay trailer? I miss that character.

That is indeed Kunimitsu hanging out with Ibuki.

Dunxco on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Page- wrote: »

He'll be banned from competitive play, so I'm sure there's not much going on about him.

Morvidus on
    edited June 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

He'll be banned from competitive play, so I'm sure there's not much going on about him.

He'll be banned if he's console exclusive.

Which I guess he would be. I don't know anything about Infamous.

Page- on
    stream
    edited June 2011
    Yep, Infamous is a Sony IP. He has a 0% chance of getting on 360.

Not that I would really care anyway as not having a PS3 I have no attachment to the character.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Isn't he only exclusive to Vita anyway? Inwhich case, he's exclusive to a handheld, which completely bans him from tournaments. Although perhaps he can be "transfarred" (not a typo) to the PS3 version.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Bah, he's not a Konami product so he can't be transfarred.

Also, I think I saw Seth Killian say he was PS3 in an interview somewhere. Can't remember for sure though.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Anyone else getting tired of "guest" characters in fighting games? It just seems so weird that they would do that for this one especially since its a versus game.

Also I think Ono is trolling again because there is no reason to ever not include Dan in any game whatsoever! I still have hopes for my Dan/phoenix team!

Luthon on