As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

eBay Problems

Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been selling things on eBay for a few months now. Recently I sold a large amount of picture frame nails. Approximatively 80,000 of them to be precise. These nails are much like normal nails in that they come in strips. In the shipping box there were twenty smaller boxes (10 in another larger box, the remainder circling it) filled with these rows of nails compacted tightly. Outside of that was a thin layer of bubble wrap, as much as I could fit. As you can probably assume, this box was basically a big heavy brick.

Yesterday I receive an email from the buyer that he has received garbage. That only a few of the boxes were intact, and the remainder were empty and there was a big plastic bag filled with "broken" nails, and that there was no protective packing material. He makes careful attention to mention that the outer box was undamaged, as if to pin as much of the blame on me and remove any that might be on his shoulders for not bothering to ask about buying shipping insurance.

So basically, this guy probably ordered the wrong size for his nail gun, and is now trying to get me to give him his money back as well as pay return shipping for a box of broken nails he no doubt spent hours smashing with a hammer.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of thing? I have several hundred sales, all at 100%, yet so does he, which makes this situation all the more baffling. I would not mind taking a hit on my rep, but if eBay finds his case compelling they can force the money out of my pay pal account.

This whole situation is absolute insanity

edit: He left a number. Tomorrow I think I am going to try calling it and see if I can see what is really going on here. Also call up eBay support, as the last time I tried emailing them they completely brushed me off

Foolish Chaos on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i don't think calling him and telling him he's lying is the best way to get LESS trouble

Raneados on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    did you put "AS-IS" in the ad? did you give the option of shipping insurance and he declined? if so, you're in the clear as far as Ebay is concerned.... but he might give you a poor feedback rating, which you can't really avoid now that only the buyers can leave feedback

illig on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah, eBay. Where it's all the seller's fault the buyer didn't know anything.

Do you have pictures of the nails near the time you shipped them? It really just sounds like either this guy fucked up and he's making shit up, or he's trying to get something for nothing and is a scammer.

How much cash are we talking about here?

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was selling the nails as individual boxes, so I had a quantity and my pictures were just reflective of one box. He bought and payed for all of them.

I did not ask him if he wanted insurance, but we had correspondence before he payed the final payment, so I would think that it would still be his responsibility to pony up wouldn't it?

And really, there are very few scenarios where-in this guy isn't lying.... there wasn't even anything remotely resembling a bag inside that box, so unless some wizard decided to scramble up 80 thousand nails and turn the bubble wrap into a plastic bag, something fishy is going on.

We are talking around $300

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I know this doesn't help you today - but if an auction ever goes for more than you're prepared to lose, just pony up the extra couple bucks for signature confirmation and insurance. Its really not expensive and saves you from crap like this.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    How am I supposed to call up ebay support.... I called their corperate number and the automated voice told me to click on the "live help button on the upper right of the ebay home page". This button does not exist, lest my eyes fool me. And clicking on "contact us", just has me ask a question which they have pre-determined. There is absolutely no question which resolves around the buyer falsifying info, just questions for sellers falsifying.

ugh :?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Would the package have gone through customs?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Nah, it was just from one US state to another.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Good luck with this, down here I have to use Mercadolibre, which is owned by Ebay or at least it's a partner.

I bought a used hard drive from some guy with a very high rep, and when it came in the mail, it was defective. Lo and behold, this person did the same thing to around 30 or so people. He decided to quit Mercadolibre with a bang by selling broken hard drives en masse and not giving a shit about his/her rep.

What was ML's response? They will only step in if I didn't receive the item. The fact that I actually received something in exchange for my money, they were absolved from all responsibilities and I had to contact the local police if I wanted to get my money back.

I hope Ebay doesn't do something similar here saying that his statement is the absolute truth.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Most likely he will open a claim with Paypal for "item not as described". They will then freeze your money and have him mail the item back to you with tracking information. Once they see that you received the item, they will refund his money.

So really he could put a brick in the box and send that to you.

eBay and Paypal know they've got sellers by the balls since so many rely on them for income. So they consistently ramp up buyer protection and lessen seller protection.

darqness on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I did not ask him if he wanted insurance

Did he pay for insurance?

Because really you can be a dick and say o well because it's really his fault fo rnot knowing the size and paying for the insurance

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

Because really you can be a dick and say o well because it's really his fault fo rnot knowing the size and paying for the insurance

Won't work. eBay now requires that all items are shipped with full insurance. Generally UPS offers $100.00 of free insurance however. If it was shipped via UPS, then you could try putting in a claim with them.

darqness on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    darqness wrote: »

Won't work. eBay now requires that all items are shipped with full insurance. Generally UPS offers $100.00 of free insurance however. If it was shipped via UPS, then you could try putting in a claim with them.

They do not require items to be shipped with insurance at all I have no idea where you getting that info
    If it's the new user one it's not to be used until September

The more I look into it there is nothing about how the item is shipped other than it was shipped

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    darqness wrote: »

They do not require items to be shipped with insurance at all I have no idea where you getting that info
    If it's the new user one it's not to be used until September

The more I look into it there is nothing about how the item is shipped other than it was shipped

I was slightly mistaken. While eBay does not directly say that the item must ship with insurance, they do say that you are not allowed to charge for it.

From eBay:
    What you're not allowed to charge:
    Insurance: You can't charge a separate fee for insurance, although you still need to make sure your item arrives as described.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html#shipping

darqness on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Out of curiousity were you selling these as part of a business or as a way to free up space by selling things you never use?

You're really in a tough spot with this situation, everyone's heard all the horror stories about e-bay and paypal. Worst case scenario is the buyer ends up shipping you back a bunch of 'garbage', paypal fully refunds his money and you end up with nothing you can sell or some portion of the nails you originally sold to then put up again. Best case is obviously that the buyer drops the whole deal, but that's unlikely.

The best thing, IMO, that you can do now is avoid having ebay or paypal involved. Try coming to a compromise where you give him a partial refund so you can avoid his money being fully refunded with shipping plus you'd end up receiving a package of possibly little to no value of damaged nails.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png