As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    on peaceful you get no hostile enemies except blobs

normal = fucked to death

Raneados on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Where is this difficulty setting? It does not show up in the downloadable client. :(

I currently have to flee up a mountain top where I've built a wooden platform and just stand around doing nothing for the entire night... and I can't have the game running in the background either, because it automatically pauses if I alt-tab away from it...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    press ESC and then go to options

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eobet wrote: »
    Where is this difficulty setting? It does not show up in the downloadable client. :(

I currently have to flee up a mountain top where I've built a wooden platform and just stand around doing nothing for the entire night... and I can't have the game running in the background either, because it automatically pauses if I alt-tab away from it...

Options, yo. Might have to do it from the title screen though. Not sure if you can mess with the difficulty mid-game.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    eobet wrote: »

Should be under options.

And as for waiting, craft yourself a craftbench, then open the craft window and then alt tab. Then you can wait FOREVER, as crafting doesn't pause the game.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    O_O

I did not know that

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you can also just press "i" for your inventory and it'll run in the background

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    this is wonderful news

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    pabh wrote: »
    also I found http://www.echidnatribe.org/Minecraft/crafting.php as that seemed to have more stuff in it. (like boots)

Thanks! Added this one to the OP because it has stuff like monster drops and a few other useful things in it.

I should learn how to set up a farm in this game.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apparently water in Alpha doesn't work the same way it does in Classic. I had a tunnel and suddenly decided to dig upwards. Apparently I was below the sea. While water did get in, it was nowhere near flooding my entire tunnel and cave, which is what I had expected.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Creative mode is basically an older version of the game, which is why the water behaves so weird there I guess.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yea, he hasn't updated it since at least December, thats when I started playing and its exactly the same as it was then

whereas the alpha gets weekly updates so >_>

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Ok... when I asked if anyone had built a Zelda map yet, I apparently wasn't thinking on a grand enough scale...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh... wait, THAT'S stone? Yeah, I'm an idiot. I have millions of that. I assumed that I was looking for some kind of special deposit (smacks forehead). heh... =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, say I want to start farming. Do I have to keep my farm near a water source, or is there a way to move water to the farm?

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i'm not sure if you need to have water near your farm, but yeah, make a bucket

Raneados on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    damns... i tried playing minecraft on my work computer, it does not like it as much as my gaming rig, what the hell am i supposed to do all day now D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think running a LP Minecraft game similar to the one in SE++ could be fun. The premise is that all participants take turns playing a few in-game days in Minecraft Alpha, safe their progress when they are finished and then hand their save file to the next user and post a short summary of what they've done. Obviously cheating or destroying someone else's work is strictly forbidden. I still need to figure out how to export and import the saves and then we can get started!

edit: Ok good I found this post.

I'd say we basically do the same, except that I suggest we scrap that 24 hours restriction and have an unlimited player pool. You give the save file to the next on the list after one play session or whenever you feel like it, does that sound fine? I mean, if people are interested in this that is.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, that's quite a diversion. Barely even noticed the hours pass by. I popped into the PA server, explored the place a bit. I particularly enjoyed the floating upside-down house and the difficult to reach underground wang temple. Found a nice, fairly untouched patch of cliffside and carved myself a nice little cavern, complete with library and external greenhouse. Also there may or may not be a secret passage :wink:

Mars on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm having quite a bit of trouble dealing with hidden lava pockets. One moment you're building a nice spacious room for your underground lair and bam!, a lava leak which you patch up too slowly and which floods several of your tunnels.

At least it's logistically easier than building floating skytowers

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh man you guys, I was used to playing Minecraft on minimal settings on my old computer. Now I can see forever, and watch as the creepers come to destroy everything I love.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Using the downloadable client (alpha?), how do you build one block down from where you are standing? Just to build a bridge on the same level as where I am standing requires me to carefully balance on the edge for each block with constant risk of falling down. Fun, but man it takes a long time!

eobet on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh boy, I get to build my house around a waterfall.

Edit: Eobert, I don't know any other way besides precariously perching on the precipice of your last block.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mars wrote: »
    Man, that's quite a diversion. Barely even noticed the hours pass by. I popped into the PA server, explored the place a bit. I particularly enjoyed the floating upside-down house

The red-brick one? That's mine. :D

Although I got bored as soon as I flipped it, so it doesn't have any furnishings or anything. Then I got the alpha and haven't been back to creative since.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do you guys grow trees indoors? I have a pretty rockin' greenhouse going that fills up with wheat easily but I can't seem to get any trees to pop. Hopefully it doesn't involve growing the trees and building the structure around them or I'll never be able to seal myself off from the surface world and live underground like a Morlock.

zilo on
  • Options
    JordanthehuttJordanthehutt Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    How do you guys grow trees indoors? I have a pretty rockin' greenhouse going that fills up with wheat easily but I can't seem to get any trees to pop. Hopefully it doesn't involve growing the trees and building the structure around them or I'll never be able to seal myself off from the surface world and live underground like a Morlock.

Basically you need a lot of torches and a good bit of dirt. I think trees need at least 3 blank pieces of dirt between them and anything else.

Like this:

DDDDDDD
    DDDDDDD
    DDDDDDD
    DDDTDDD
    DDDDDDD
    DDDDDDD

And then basically just plant torches all around it underground, or have a direct skylight window from the sun.

Jordanthehutt on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Aha! That's my problem, my dirt patch is only 4 wide for irrigating wheat.

zilo on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Duck, I say that is an awesome idea and you should get right on it.

Edit: Also, game just updated - slimes no longer appear on Peaceful.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zilo wrote: »

Basically you need a lot of torches and a good bit of dirt. I think trees need at least 3 blank pieces of dirt between them and anything else.

Like this:

DDDDDDD
    DDDDDDD
    DDDDDDD
    DDDTDDD
    DDDDDDD
    DDDDDDD

And then basically just plant torches all around it underground, or have a direct skylight window from the sun.

Trees DO NOT require 3 spaces in between each other.

They can be built with just one space in between, the only requirements are light, time and earth.
    trees.png

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I was trying to plant mine in clumps of 4 to make them into one huge supertree, clearly that's not a good idea.

zilo on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why cant i try the alpha? I thought it was free to play survival mode

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    First you have to close the gap in the wall where the water comes in, then you have to fill every last water block with another block - and I really mean all of them - and then you remove them again. At least that's how do it, when working below sea level. Tell me if there's an easier way.

Not sure if it was mentioned since I haven't read the rest of the thread. There are two types of water blocks. Springs, and lakes. Springs represent unlimited water, while lakes can be dumped out. The ocean is made entirely of springs, and will be like that until overwritten with another type of block. When a spring flows down, the trickle blocks are lake. So in your example, if someone were to break the glass and let some water in, it wouldn't fill up the bubble because there is air in there now. When the water is let in, it wouldn't turn the whole inside into spring again. Some water would come in from the spring blocks directly adjacent the leak, but all the water inside would vanish as soon as the leak was plugged.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

No, the alpha is the current, up-to-date version of survival mode. You can try http://minecraft.net/survivaltest/

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BabbleBabble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is this game quickly becoming a sort of first-person Dwarf Fortress? When I first saw it, the game was fairly basic, good for building small stuff. But it appears to have progressed greatly since then.

Babble on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

No, the alpha is the current, up-to-date version of survival mode. You can try http://minecraft.net/survivaltest/

thanks

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

That's not the same, though. That survival test doesn't even have an inventory.

Peewi on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

The only way to play is to pay the $10 or download an illegal copy. Which is illegal and will make everyone mad at you if you reveal you have it.

rayofash on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i just had a slight orgasm when i thought about if toady worked with the minecraft dude and merged their games

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think running a LP Minecraft game similar to the one in SE++ could be fun. The premise is that all participants take turns playing a few in-game days in Minecraft Alpha, safe their progress when they are finished and then hand their save file to the next user and post a short summary of what they've done. Obviously cheating or destroying someone else's work is strictly forbidden. I still need to figure out how to export and import the saves and then we can get started!

edit: Ok good I found this post.

I'd say we basically do the same, except that I suggest we scrap that 24 hours restriction and have an unlimited player pool. You give the save file to the next on the list after one play session or whenever you feel like it, does that sound fine? I mean, if people are interested in this that is.

I'd be up for this. Are there any issues regarding moving savegames between the mac and pc client?

pabh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Would it fall by the wayside once multiplayer survival is released? I expect it might.

Finally, a snow map! Fortress of Solitude, here I come. Is there a more reliable way to get snow bricks besides punching snow for the rare snowball and combining 9 of them in the workbench?

zilo on