As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Minecraft] - rock is my life (multiplayer survival out now)

• DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gonna take a break from multiplayer until we can stop relying on bugs and workarounds to actually make the game work properly. Don't know whether it will be Vic's that I play on when multiplayer becomes stable, if not someone make sure to look after my church and make sure bastards don't steal the torches.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • LandeydaLandeyda Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm hoping for a fresh, no hand-outs server when it truly has all the same features.

Landeyda on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daius wrote: »
    Gonna take a break from multiplayer until we can stop relying on bugs and workarounds to actually make the game work properly. Don't know whether it will be Vic's that I play on when multiplayer becomes stable, if not someone make sure to look after my church and make sure bastards don't steal the torches.

I do hope we get mobs in the next update. I want to make a cloth fortress

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Landeyda wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I have started the single player, and I'm not seeing any monsters. I waited for night, and I made sure I wasn't on peaceful difficulty, I just don't get any monsters trying to eat me.
    :?

If you have a bunch of torches around your base monsters won't spawn there.

I have no torches around me. I guess they're just afraid of me.

Rizzi on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    With the new restart system it is hard for me to tell how well the server is working. Have any of you been playing during the last eight hours?

Vic on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Landeyda wrote: »
    I have started the single player, and I'm not seeing any monsters. I waited for night, and I made sure I wasn't on peaceful difficulty, I just don't get any monsters trying to eat me.
    :?

If you have a bunch of torches around your base monsters won't spawn there.

I have no torches around me. I guess they're just afraid of me.

Start digging

Peas on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think one aspect of being terrifying is that the world is custom, and you have to dig to find the cave systems. So you find these enormous caves and you have no idea what's going on - the game might've put nothing in there, it might've filled it with horrors.

electricitylikesme on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think one aspect of being terrifying is that the world is custom, and you have to dig to find the cave systems. So you find these enormous caves and you have no idea what's going on - the game might've put nothing in there, it might've filled it with horrors.

No, the game filled it with horrors.

It always fills it with horrors.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I built a whole minecart route between two of my forts, with the plan of using powered minecarts to do the bulk of the work. What a disappointment. Way too slow, and they seem to run out of fuel very quickly.

Metallikat on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah go find a natural cave and go spelunkin'.

Thar will be monsters.

SniperGuy on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There will be slimes.

IMO the infinite-slime-spawn system notch has going is terrible. I do think that every expedition into the bowels of the earth should carry a risk, but not because you are swarmed by more slimes than your computer can support and crash to desktop.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Metallikat wrote: »
    I built a whole minecart route between two of my forts, with the plan of using powered minecarts to do the bulk of the work. What a disappointment. Way too slow, and they seem to run out of fuel very quickly.
    Do not despair! Notch said something about powering up furnace minecarts in the near future.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited August 2010
    So during the day, when I man up to turn up the difficulty, easy or normal? Is there a vast disparity?

SniperGuy on
    edited August 2010
    Vic took away the /iron command, but furnaces seem to get half-way through smelting and then stop.

electricitylikesme on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vic took away the /iron command, but furnaces seem to get half-way through smelting and then stop.

I was told they're broken again. Used them last night and they worked.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seeing as this thread has almost reached 100 pages, I'd like to know if anyone else wants to make the next thread. I'm not really spending much time with Minecraft at the moment, well until the SMP received a few patches.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jarth wrote: »
    Does anyone else see this as the best survival horror game ever?

It would be if the option to put the game on Peaceful didn't exist (you could just select a difficulty mode when you start a world and be unable to change it later). Whenever I put the game on Peaceful I feel guilty.

Hexmage-PA on
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Seeing as this thread has almost reached 100 pages, I'd like to know if anyone else wants to make the next thread. I'm not really spending much time with Minecraft at the moment, well until the SMP received a few patches.
    I have one nearly ready back home. Thing is, I probably won't BE home for a few more days. Can we keep this one going for a bit longer than 100 pages?

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited August 2010
    Seems the furnaces were working after all, I was just using them wrong.

electricitylikesme on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lot of crashes today. Gives me a sad.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Did Vic's server star again? I can't get in.

Rhan9 on
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yesssss finally found some diamond.

How hard will this ruin every other kind of mining pick for me? I have a feeling even iron stuff is gonna feel like a nerf bat after I get used to it.

UnknownSaint on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    you can mine quite a bit with a diamond pick.

and i mean quite a bit.

also the bug where you throw your tool on the ground to restore quality is awesome

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited August 2010
    New plan for night! Build giant 1 block tower by jumping and placing block under my feet. View world, look at zombie swarm.

SniperGuy on
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Cant use coal. It has to be wood.

Lux782 on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    New plan for night! Build giant 1 block tower by jumping and placing block under my feet. View world, look at zombie swarm.

Die like a pincushion if you don't build it high enough...

Phoenix-D on
  • JaltosJaltos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can someone PM me vic's ip? I wanna hop on his server! "Pm Vic to get the IP" doesn't work in the adress bar!

Jaltos on
    edited August 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Die like a pincushion if you don't build it high enough...

Oh it's pretty damn high. and the zombies and skeletons don't seem to notice me up here. So no arrows have come a flyin' quite yet.

SniperGuy on
  • CabbsCabbs Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vic's server seems to be down right now. For me at least.

On another note, is there any way for a player to get the map from a multiplayer server for cartographer purposes? without the server host uploading the thing for you, I mean.

Cabbs on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nope.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    sooo my computer froze and i rebooted it, now my minecraft doesn't see my world... just has a bunch of empty slots

i know for a fact it is there because i went to C:\documents and settings\user\application data\.minecraft\saves and it is definitely there

the game just doesn't see it any more

i hope there is a fix because i've put too much into this world :(

edit: i tried renaming it by the way

FOR ANYONE ELSE THIS HAPPENS TO, I FOUND A FIX:

you go into the save and delete level.dat, then rename level.dat_old to level.dat... it might roll you back to the last time you paused the game (because thats when it saves) but it is better than losing everything.

secondly cool stuff: when it told me all the world slots were "Empty" starting a new game in an "Empty" slot that was in the same slot as your world will place you in your world, with all buildings intact, but since it is a "new" game you have nothing in your inventory and have a new spawn location. it could in fact spawn you ANYWHERE because the first time i did it i was like "oh this world is new and pretty cool i guess..." i loaded it up in cartographer and lo and behold my tower and fortress were miles away southwest of where i had spawned!

but i could NOT go back to regular picks after my diamond pick so i just kept on looking for a fix (plus a bunch of stuff i was holding), a bunch of people seemed to have this problem in the minecraft official support forums and one guy mentioned you could load an old save state by using the level.dat_old

people seem to have this problem any time their game is unexpectedly shut down while unpaused - power outage, or in my case, computer froze and i had to hold in the power button, etc

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, as promised, more pictures from my second world:
    I decided that the best way to make things a little bit more exiting was to build something to secure my spawn point and then sail off into the distance.

Leaving my spawn point at sunrise
    03-EarlyStart.png

And after sailing I found a wonderful natural harbor that I built up as a secondary safehouse.
    10-Harbor.png

I also built a large underground farm to keep my health up since I'm playing on Hard.
    13-UndergoundFarm.png

Then I found a great place for my new village.
    04-Clearing.png

First thing I did was build a storage shed out of Obsidian to protect my Iron, Diamond, and Redstone from Creepers.
    07-ObsidianStorageShed.png

Then I went through and began laying out the foundations for all the buildings in town
    12-TownPlanningComplete.png

I've planned a Gatehouse, two watchtowers, a house, a blacksmith, two storage sheds, a garden, a grove, and a fountain. I'm also probably going to build a beacon on top of the mountain to the right.

Overhead view of where I am right now.
    14-AerialViewofTownLayout.png

gjaustin on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    does this game remind anyone else of RPG World Online? it was this free "mmo" that i played a while back, it had land claims, mining, crafting, all that stuff, but it was top down and 2 dimensional with only the surface of the world and one underground plane to mine. had a lot more in the way of combat and magic, though.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Courtesy of Lux782, here is the full resolution version of the latest map:

Edit: I am the terriblest

http://www.0x5eeded.com/pa_minecraft/map5-obliqueangle-day.png[/QUOTE]

Vic on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I have one nearly ready back home. Thing is, I probably won't BE home for a few more days. Can we keep this one going for a bit longer than 100 pages?

Perhaps you should pm a moderator, but I somehow doubt it. Maybe we should just stop posting in here for a while. :P

Or just copy the op and change it later on.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So during the day, when I man up to turn up the difficulty, easy or normal? Is there a vast disparity?

During the day it doesn't matter unless you go into a cave or something that's unlit; peaceful auto-heals you, but above that, the only difference in difficulties is to increase the number of mobs spawned in dark places, which is the only place they spawn.
    Vic wrote: »

Link

This is requesting username and password for authentication, :?.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Argus wrote: »

During the day it doesn't matter unless you go into a cave or something that's unlit; peaceful auto-heals you, but above that, the only difference in difficulties is to increase the number of mobs spawned in dark places, which is the only place they spawn.
    Vic wrote: »

Link

This is requesting username and password for authentication, :?.

He linked to the ftp. What you actually want is:

http://www.0x5eeded.com/pa_minecraft/map5-obliqueangle-day.png

Lux782 on
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for some of those random spikes off into the sea. They end when my boat falls off the currently generated ocean.

EDIT: YES!

If you zoom in on the spike going straight down (on your screen), the island just up from the bottom has "EQ" (or it looks kind of like "GO") upside down on it.

NEW GOAL IDENTIFIED.

electricitylikesme on
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A couple of new pics from the Gents SMP server:
    Things go incredibly wrong for donhonk attempting to redirect a lava flow down the stairs of Kris_xk's skull tower
    minecraftdonhonk.jpg

Sun pool outside the new Castle 2.0
    minecraftsunpool.jpg

IdolNinja on
  • dumbmanexdumbmanex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Errrr, I spent a couple hours last night bulding a work outpost a ways from my fort, one building for work related crap, one large building to house my Operation Hell Dig site, where I go straight down as far as possible.

The building, complete with skylight and mini watch tower.
    All the way down.

I made it all the way with no natural caves, monster attacks, or lava. I managed to break about even on metals, but scored a crap ton of that red rock stuff. Now that I have this gaping hole in the ground, I though I'd dig toward the water, see if I can lower it any, tired of staring at that icy field all the time. :x

Also, gold pickaxes are functionally turds on a stick.

dumbmanex on
    Shark it up! Action/Arcade = The Great White Destroyer (August sale, half off! ShaShaShaShaShark Month!)
    Snowballs in peril! Action/Puzzle = Snowball's Chance E1 (it's free now!)