Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4e PbP] The Serpent Swallows its Tail (IC)

1212224262732

Posts

  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Free Action:
    Toman chuckles, "Здається, що гнів світла недостатньо"

    Translation (Dark Speech)
    Spoiler:

    Wight is up
    DeBaron is on deck

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Mage wight shifts foward half the distance to the pit. The shadows briefly coalesce around him before bursting out in all directions from his body. The shadows converge and swirl around Kallas, ripping at his body before emerging to form two wispy shadows by his side. The wisps strike at Kallas again separately and he tumbles to the ground bleeding from many wounds.

    Toman moved to H,31 because I, 31 and I, 25 are the same square.

    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Initiative:
    Spoiler:
    Combat Actions:
    Spoiler:
    deBaron is up Toman is on Deck Kallas is at 0 and stable?

  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As Kallas crumples under the mage wight's magical assault, the scruffy halfling rushes forward, nimbly hopping over the felled human. The small warrior rebounds off the far wall with a yell and launches himself at the undead spectre, bringing his ichor-covered long blade swinging down in a brutal slash.

    The blade slices through the undead mage with enough force to crack the stone floor, taking a sizable chunk of sickly flesh with it. The undead horror turns on the halfling with a vile sneer and foul magicks dancing on it's fingertips, but deBaron was already heaving his blade back upward with vicious force. The sword cleaves through the wight's torso in spray of brackish blood and ichor.

    As it falls, the creature continues screeching foul curses and writhing madly until it is silenced by a crushing blow from the halfling's heavy, metal-shod boot.

    "Ey, yer boy's bleedin'."

    Spoiler:

    Toman is up Rolan is on Deck

    <3
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Toman follows the newcomer past the wisps, ignoring them completely, and he seems disappointed when the halfling's blows finish the wraith. He smiles faintly at the boistrous warrior, "ми не любимо вас гучний, але не набагато."

    Toman turns back to face the party, his eyes still glowing faintly. Whatever has grasped the boy this time shows no signs of fading away as it has done in the past. "So... AiMos," a voice that is not quite Toman's echoes from the warlock's lips, "WhO sHalL we KilL neXt?"

    Translation Dark Speech
    Spoiler:
    Actions
    Spoiler:
    Rolan is Up

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rolan prepares his spell destroy the mage wight, but before he can finish the incantation he watches as deBaron kills the beast. Trying to turn the power of the spell towards one of the wisps he can't maintain his concentration and sends the bolts flying harmlessly past everyone watching them slam into the wall behind everybody.
    Spoiler:
    Valanthriel is up

    Spoiler:
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Deathchill wisps each strike with dangerous efficiency at the unusually beefy halfling. Both swarm his body, ripping at it.

    Attacks: 1d20+5; 1d20+5 = 24, 18 (vs reflex, hit hit)
    deBaron takes 8 Damage.

    Valanthriel eyes the newcome halfling with some interest, ignoring the wisps.
    Amos is up

  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Amos throws a suspicious look towards Toman, "Toman...just kill the wisps, I've got to attend to Kallas." With that Amos hops to the stairs behind Kallas, kneels down and begins wrapping his wounds, just as he had been taught at the Temple. Surveying his slipshod tourniquets, Amos cocks his head to the side, "Not bad for the first time I've ever actually had to do that, I guess..."
    Spoiler:

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Athletics

  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...crit the hop. b/c what other time could that roll have POSSIBLY come in handy. Amos hops stairs like a champ. Up or down, no stair can stand before Amos' uncanny ability to hop. Call him the Stair-Master.

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...crit the hop. b/c what other time could that roll have POSSIBLY come in handy. Amos hops stairs like a champ. Up or down, no stair can stand before Amos' uncanny ability to hop. Call him the Stair-Master.

    Don't feel bad - it's the Wisps turn, maybe they will push you off the stairs!

    Wisps are up, DeBaron is on Deck

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Power doesn't state if Wisps are conjurations or not, but I'm gonna rule they are. They die when the Mage Wight does.

    So, the shadows holding the Wisps together fall apart at the death of the Mage Wight and disperse from whence they came.

    Feel free to act with no initiative, get to know each other, RP, loot, pillage, plunder, etc.

  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Toman chuckles as the wisps fade away, "ThEy aRe GonE nOw, AiMos" He rubs his hands together as he looks around, then darts to the crypts along the southern wall. He begins searching and poking about.


    Move to P18
    Search area from P18 to P13 unless something interrupts
    Perception: 1d20+6 22

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Yes, I can see that..." Amos says, still wary of Toman's new countenance. After making sure that Kallas was still breathing, the cleric calls to Valanthriel, "Come down here, Valanthriel, are you ok?"

    ...

    Shortly after checking on Valanthriel, Amos clears his throat loudly, "I'm calling a meeting. Things are getting out of hand around here, and we need to straighten this out. Points of order: You there, short one, identify yourself and your business here. Toman, what in the name of Amaunator happened to you all before we got down here? Valanthriel, why didn't you tell us you were a competent mage?" as he asks the last question Amos allows his eyes to set on Rolan for just a moment. Then he continues, "And there is also the matter of...ahem...funeral rites for Xan-kyri and Radulus."

    Mid, any chance that a 22 religion check would let Amos know any more about who he may be talking to?

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The halfling gives the unmoving wight another stomp with his heavy boot, then rolls the creature over with a rough kick.

    After he was satisfied that the wight was not in possession of anything particularly interesting or edible, deBaron turns on the human cleric. The halfling warrior slides his blade back into his shoulder sheath as he approaches, spitting a wad of red tinged spittle on the stone near Amos' feet. Being so close, the cleric's nose wrinkled at the overwhelming smell of alcohol.

    "deBaron's my name, an' I'm in this damned hole chasin' spiders. Big enough to eat a man whole, an' enough of 'em to clean out a village. I'm bettin' the only reason they haven't already made a meal outta the lot of you is ya'll bein' too skinny to be worth the trouble."

    <3
  • KorsahnKorsahn Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Kallas coughs, breath filling his lungs painfully as the death chill fades slowly.
    Panting heavily he attempts to rise, but his body is set ablaze with pain and he falls back gasping again.

    "T-thank you...Amos." He rasps, eyes closed.

    As he lays there listening, hid body stiffens minutely and his mind goes blank for a moment.

    If healing is not forthcoming, I'll spend a bunch o' surges.

    Spoiler:
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Now I'm at the point where when I lose, I feel like I was fairly outplayed; except for [FACTIONS I LOSE TO], those guys are assholes.
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As Kallas speaks, Toman looks up briefly from his inspection of the crypt, "ThAnk thE gOds, You'Re AlivE!" A scowl of puzzlement at his own words crosses his face, then he returns his atention to searching the area with a shrug.

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rolan laughs, "You're calling a meeting? Thank but I think I'd rather take my chances with the dark one over there..." and he points to Toman, walking past deBaron he looks at the halflings sword and smiles, "Nice pointy sword you got there". As he nears the wight he glances at it in case deBaron missed anything and then begins to search the area for any traces of magic.
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Acknowledging the elf with a grunt, the unshaven halfling frees the blade from it's scabbard once more. "Better than my old hunk o' iron, anyway. Damned thing almost fell on me 'ead while I was huntin' through the lower tunnels. Twas all glowin' like some sword o' da gods, but I ain't been able to make it do that trick since it went out. Figured me head was playin' tricks, I was a might bit sloshed at da time."

    deBaron casually works the blade through an obviously well-practiced routine of attacks against some imagined foe, before sliding it back into it's unadorned shoulder sheath. The halfling's briefly slides along a second, heavier blade sheathed lower on his back. A hint of a smile plays at across his face.

    "The ol' chopper still comes in handy now an' again, though."

    <3
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A Reminder, you just slept upstairs in the Goblin Warren. Everyone has full powers/APs unless you used it in this fight. After you awoke, during your discussions of plans, Toman disappeared. Rolan disappeared after him. You all began to hear the low drone of chanting coming from somewhere far below you. You hurried down the stairs to find Toman, Rolan and this battle. The whole time, the chant has continued somewhat muffled from somewhere below. For squish's benefit, Valanthriel is a dirty female elf. Though dirty she's still very easy on the eyes. She's wearing some kind of dark shimmery animal skin as a togaish outfit, and wielding a finely carved bastard sword. Though after you came into the battle she really didn't do anything effective.

    The situation strikes all of you as odd at some point. Standing here on this stairwell, introducing yourselves and pillaging, fresh out of a battle with a shared foe. While two dead lay at the bottom of this pit. The whole while an ominous chant continues from below you.

    Valanthriel stays close to Amos and Toman during the exchange after a brief look of concern over Kallas' wounds.
    (In Elvish) "Because, I want to kill that goblin for that he's done to me. And I figured if you thought I could do it, you wouldn't let me get close until you talk to him. But I couldn't just stand back there and let everyone die. You just lost two friends! Besides, I'm not a competent mage. That's the only thing I can do."

    To Everyone who is searching:
    Spoiler:

    Rolan:
    Spoiler:

    Map:
    Spoiler:

  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rolan walks towards the coffin and examines the runes for any ritualistic meanings, either religious or mystical. Then he steps closer to the coffin so he can examine it and it's magical aura more closely.
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
  • KorsahnKorsahn Registered User
    edited February 2011
    The rigidity of body disappears from Kallas' body and as his eyes open you see the strange glow fading from them.
    He pulls himself to sitting, a lot less pained than before, and them slowly stands up using his staff heavily as support.

    A long sigh escapes him as he stretches his aching limbs out, before he addresses his comrades, "Well that went well." He says, matter-of-factly before asking, as if more pained by this than the deathly assault just minutes ago, "Do we know of Zan or Radulus' fate yet?"

    Spend four surges to bring me to full HP and 4/8 surges remaining.

    Spoiler:
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Now I'm at the point where when I lose, I feel like I was fairly outplayed; except for [FACTIONS I LOSE TO], those guys are assholes.
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At the mention of Zan and Radulus, Toman stiffens visibly. "We mUst dEscEnd, nOw!" He strides toward the stairs, "ThEy mAy yEt stIll bE AlivE." He pauses at the top of the stairs and cocks his head, listening, "And jUdging bY thAt пекельний chAntIng, thERe is sOmethIng bElow thAt will tAste mY wrAth."

    Am I correct in assuming it has been long enough for a short rest?

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "I hate to say this, but...Toman...may be right. If there's a chance that they are alive we need to go down and see. When Rolan finishes meddling with that coffin we will head down. Can I assume you will coming with us, halfling? There may yet be more spiders...also, strange thing about that glowing sword. Must have been harrowing."
    Spoiler:

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We did discuss this, but I'm going to defer to Midrealm for the official clarification, since I believe he originally posted the rule. Your Healing Word power is times per encounter. When used outside of a combat, an encounter is considered....5 minutes, i think? Mid, clear me up here. So if you used it, you'd have to wait 5 minutes before going on if you wanted it for the next encounter.

  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rolan carefully examines first the runes on the floor of the tomb, but also the sarcophagus that sheds light through a cracked sarcophagus lid.

    Rolan:
    Spoiler:

    The Coffin is of medium size and solid; of superior stonework craftsmanship, as is the rest of this room and most of the complex you've discovered so far (save the goblin's dug-out warren). The effigy on top is of a Richly dressed dwarf. Nobility, possibly, or a wealthy Merchant. A large crack runs down the middle of the Sarcophagus' lid and a portion of the lid has obviously been moved and shifted back. From the crack in the lid streams forth a flickering light, the equivalent of a torch, or a lantern.

    Rolan:
    Spoiler:

    With the aid of the jaw droppingly strong halfling, you're able to shift the lid of the sarcophagus. Inside sits a lantern giving off light.

    For the sake of moving along, It is a Lamp of Discerning. Normally I'd like to give you the opportunity to interact with magic items, but I know I didn't post yesterday so I don't want to hold things up another night with this.

    You continue down the stairs to the bottom. As you descend the chanting reaches a crescendo and then stops altogether. You're not sure what that means, but you're guessing it can't be good.

    To the side of you is what seems to be the bottom of the VERY long drop you walked on the precipice of for half of your last battle. The blood, gore, and twisted metal that you all are expecting to greet you at the bottom is, however, absent. No glowing sword tossed from the lip above, no Radulus in the twisted, mangled remains of his scale armor, and no Zan-Kyri, body crackling with releasing pent up storm energy. In front of you, the hallway continues 2 man wide for 45' before ending in a crude, dirty curtain hung across the hallway.


    Map: (Place yourselves in the yellow semi-transparent box)
    Spoiler:

    If any of you want to examine the bottom of the pit before moving forward, let me know and I'm happy to do so.

  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rolan smiles at the halfling and lifts the lamp, "Oooh, another magical bobble. Would you mind if I held onto this?"

    Without waiting and wrapped up in the lure of the magical device Rolan turns around and strolls off, clearly not thinking about much other than examining his new magical "artifact".

    As he walks down the stairs Rolan peeks over into the darkness, holding up the lamp to get a better view.
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
  • KorsahnKorsahn Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Sombrely, Kallas moves down the stairs expecting the worst and is visibly shaken to note the lack of corpses.
    He is, however, careful to waylay impromptu and likely vain hope stating dourly, "As much as I yearn to see our companions alive and well, we should not expect this. I have dealt only briefly with the undead and their machinations, but..."

    He trails off, stifling a lump in his throat. The light shines in his eyes and his resolve is evidently hardened as he readies his equipment, "Let us put an end to this foul blight, this darkness of the world."

    His eyes remain burning brightly, but with a gleaming vengeance of righteousness, and he steps off the stairs to confront the enemies of light.

    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Now I'm at the point where when I lose, I feel like I was fairly outplayed; except for [FACTIONS I LOSE TO], those guys are assholes.
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "I'll let you fellas tag along with me for a while, if'n you've got some rations to spare. Been livin' off rum an' goblin meat for the last few days. Damned gobs are just about the only thing that smells better comin' out the other end, I tells ya."

    As he continues casually relaying the intricacies of proper goblin meat preparation, the muscular halfling moves to the front of the formation, and once again brings his long blade free of it's scabbard.

    Place deBaron at AG9. Also, spent one healing surge during the short rest to return to full hit points. btw, I am on vacation for 'til Sunday, so my interneting time will be limited. If you need any skill checks or initiative rolls from deBaron, feel free to roll it for him.

    <3
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Snowdown wrote: »
    We did discuss this, but I'm going to defer to Midrealm for the official clarification, since I believe he originally posted the rule. Your Healing Word power is times per encounter. When used outside of a combat, an encounter is considered....5 minutes, i think? Mid, clear me up here. So if you used it, you'd have to wait 5 minutes before going on if you wanted it for the next encounter.

    Yes-
    Any power limited by an encounter recharges at the end of a short rest or after five minutes.

    In addition spending surges to heal yourself (other than powers or second wind) also happens at the end of a short rest, so if we want kallas to be full health, we have to wait a minimum of five minutes.

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Toman mutters to himself softly for most of the journey down the stairs, he occasionally twitches and keeps looking around nervously speaking in a mish-mash of three different languages (elvish, common, and the dark speech), any who care to listen catch references to 'rescue' and 'vengeance'

    As the party reaches the bottom of the stairs, Toman responds to deBaron's comment, "So SoRrY, no bodies... mY bOmbAstiC плоті щит, they must be alive... bUt AimOs tOok mY lAst ApplE," He smiles at deBarron with an unsettling grin, "SoMe wOulD cOnsiDer EatIng thE FlEsh oF a hUmanOid rAce tO bE aN Act of cAnnibAlism." He looks pointedly at Amos and riases his eyebrows as if waiting for further comment.

    Toman takes up position at AH12, and spent two surges duing the short rest

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    "Yes, most of us WOULD consider that cannibalism Toman. Can I have a word, privately?" It would seem that the last question was more an order than a question if it weren't for the fact that Amos literally grabbed Toman's robe, and pulled him to the back of the group, muttering Chandothan curses. When they were behind the rest of the group the cleric pulled his face close to Toman's and hissed, "I have put up with your crap with a smile until now. Zan-kyri and Radulus may be dead or they may not be, but either way we need your head on straight when we find out. Toman, if you can hear me, you better get your act together and get this thing under control or so help me I will exorcise it myself. And you will NOT enjoy that."

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Toman leans close to Aimos and has a whispered conversation* that ends suddenly when Toman shouts, "NA!"
    Toman appears visibly shaken, but relieved as he lays his hand on Amos's shoulder. "Thank you... we shall talk later I suppose; but for now, let us find our allies."

    Toman turns to the assembled group, "My appologies for my behavior as of late." He bows his head toward Valanthriel, takes her hand and kisses it gently, "Especially to you, eich mawrhydi. Proper introductions will have to wait," he looks back toward Amos and nods toward the passage ahead, "on your lead."

    Elvish
    Spoiler:

    * DC 29 Perception for anyone other than Amos to make out the words
    Toman whispers to Amos;
    Spoiler:

    Toman resumes his position at AH12
    Side Note - That shout probably gave away any chance we had of surprise.

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As Amos walks back to the front of the group, he stops for a second at Toman and Valanthriel. Slapping Toman almost good-naturedly on the back, "Just keep your yourself together from now on." Turning to address Valanthriel, he says "I'm terribly sorry you had to see that, m'lady." The cleric took his position beside deBaron and announced, "Well, whatever's down here knows were here now. Stay together and stay grounded and we will all make it out of here alive!"
    Spoiler:

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As your group slowly creeps down the hallway towards the curtain, different visions of what you'll find flashing through each of your heads, you hear two distinct voices coming from beyond.

    The first, a small high pitched voice, obviously that of a goblin.
    The second is much larger and deeper.

    The deeper voice begins, "Ahhh, at last you have found a way to bring me back my minions. I had my doubts."
    The smaller voice continues "The Tribe of the Troll King follows a new master, My lord....No, No! Don't Kill me! Maglubiyet has returned to us and it is through him you have been restored! Maglubiyet wishes you to visit Greypeak Citadel to receive a gift. There you will find the path to him."

    Map: Roll Initiative

  • Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rolan quickly puts away his lantern and gets into his battle position.
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
  • KorsahnKorsahn Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Focusing on the voices coming from the room, Kallas moves slowly forward, weapons poised and mind hardened.
    Spoiler:

    Spoiler:
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Now I'm at the point where when I lose, I feel like I was fairly outplayed; except for [FACTIONS I LOSE TO], those guys are assholes.
  • Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Spoiler:

    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________
  • MidrealmDMMidrealmDM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Toman winces at Amos's slap on the back, but hold his tongue and readies himself for the matter at hand.

    Spoiler:

    Toman Cincer - Dark Pack Warlock
    Spoiler:
    Campaign Languages
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The halfling watched Amos drag Toman off with mild interest before becoming distracted by the discovery of a half-full bottle of cheap wine in his pack.

    By the time the two had finished their hushed discussion, deBaron had already the bottle turned up to his lips and had begun to stroll confidently down the corridor. He seems to take no notice of the odd voices coming from further down the corridor. Whether he hadn't heard them or just didn't care, he continues forward heedlessly with a soon-to-be empty wine bottle in one hand and his brilliant long blade dragging behind in the other. The blade rings softly as it bounces off the dungeon floor.
    Spoiler:

    <3
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From behind the curtain you hear the deeper voice call out “Is that your guards behind the curtain, Shaman? Tell them their clatter bothers me.”
    The smaller voice squeaks out “I have no guards beyond the curtain.”


    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Initiative:
    Spoiler:
    Combat Actions:
    Spoiler:
    Toman is up Rolan is on Deck

Sign In or Register to comment.