As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4e PbP] The Serpent Swallows its Tail (IC)

• Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The make whole ritual takes 10 minutes, in the mean time, the rest of the party will be in the green tankard.

The Green Tankard:
    A sign with a green-painted tankard of ale proclaims the nature of this establishment. The tavern’s large common room holds a gregarious group that includes townspeople, riverboat folk, merchants, farmers, and one or two individuals wearing the badges of the Loudwater Patrol.

There are two people here who stick out from the norm.

The first is a short, jovial halfling. He is currently sitting in front of a large hearth, chair tipped back and feet propped up on the table in front of him, a small ornate pipe at his lips as he weaves some ornate yarn for the people around him.

The second would stick out in nearly ANY crowd. A stereotypically laughable Wizard, he is. Middle aged with a long black beard, a dark robe stitched with stars and moons, a pointed hat atop his head, and a gnarled staff capped by a fossilized raven skull. He sits in a corner by himself with the patrons giving him quite a berth.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Snow, will you let me know when 10 minutes are up so I know when I enter the bar?

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    SquintsSquints Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Zan eavesdrops on the Halfing (perception?) as he walks by, then heads to the wizard.

Perception: 1d20+0 14

"Curuvar. I am Zan. I have been hired to get rid of some goblins - perhaps you noticed the... incursion, some time ago? They were apparently after a horn, or dagger, you brought to Garwan. Any idea why?"

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The wizard looked up suspiciously, and slowly chewed the mouthful of food for a bit before finally speaking.

"A genasi, eh? Stormsoul by the looks of it.", he gestures lazily "we don't see many of your kind around here. Curious. Curious indeed."

"Goblin attack, did you say? I heard the commotion outside. Weren't no reason to leave, they never came in here."

"I did indeed sneak into the Barrow. The Barrow of the Ogre King, some call it. You wouldn't believe what a dull race goblins are. My wizardry easily incapacitated them. However, I didn't find what I wanted so I took the horn as a Souvenir. Obviously they want it back, but I couldn't tell you why."

"I'll tell you what - I left a matching skull totem in the Barrow. If you bring me the matching skull totem that I left, I'll tell you the truth about the Ogre King."

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "Indeed. From Airspur, where Genasi are more plentiful."

Zan then listens to the offer.

"I!-... hmm. I guess every favor requires a favor." The Genasi manages to subdue a bit of her racial propensity to over-react. "There is a wizard traveling with me there. I think he wants to talk to you. But I will bid you farewell, and return if... when I get your totem back."

Once again, Zan seems comfortable with relaying the information to everyone else.

Squints on
  • Options
    AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This wizard guy strikes Thogg as a shifty sort. A veteran of shifty things, Thogg tries to get a read on this Curuvar fellow.

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thogg:
    You're pretty sure Curuvar is telling the truth about how he obtained the totem and not knowing why the goblins want it back, other than the fact it was taken against their will. He does seem a bit callous regarding being the cause of the attack, but that could easily be personality. You know, and are/were friends with plenty of people who wouldn't bat an eyelash at doing something that resulted in people they don't know getting killed. You get the idea that he could easily go get the skull totem himself if he wanted it, but for some reason provided incentive for your group to go instead.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    "So, it looks like we have another reason to head after those goblins and their... 'barrow.' Although I don't like the idea of an Ogre King."

Squints on
  • Options
    WoogityWoogity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Approaching Curuvar from the back of the newly forged pack of adventurers Radulus pipes up..."The journey that seems laid before our feet appears to be one of much peril. Having, already ventured to this Barrow of the Ogre King, any information you could provide us would be greatly appreciated, and would likely assist in the recovery of your lost totem, should we decide to take up your offer of course..."
    I apologies for my absence, i should be back to checking several times a day this weekend.

Woogity on
    Rad Anvilspit hp 23/29 surge value 7 surges 1/10 17:ac 16:fort 12: ref 13: will

Henry Teach, human cutthroat

the game assassino_O
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Curuvar's response is both soft and short "It's to the south, under the boughs of the Southwood. It's an Ancient Crypt once part of lost Ammarindar. The goblins now use it as their barrow."

Anyone with History can give me a history check. And let me know what you all want to do next, either move out now, or do something else in the town.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    History: 1d20+9 15

"If anyone needs provisions, get them now. I'm planning on heading out by noon."

Assuming it's still a bit after morning.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'll go under the assumption that it's been at least 10 minutes and the ritual is done

Rolan arrives at the tavern after it appears that everyone has already talked to the wizard.

When Rolan's eyes meet the old wizards Rolan feels like he is at one with the arcane arts and can see the wizard in a new light.
    Arcana check on the wizard. Try to see any extra magical information about him, how powerful he is, what magic he possess (both items and abilities), and checking out the staff as well: 1d20+11 = 30 I see how magical his underpants are!

Bowing his head formally, "Good day wizard. It is nice to meet another practitioner of the arcane arts"

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    CP, the arcana skill doesn't really work that way. To ID the properties of a magic item you'd have to actually hold it for at least a few minutes while trying to make the check. With your check, you're able to tell that he is indeed a Wizard, of some power, and that his staff is indeed magic of some sort, or at least a really good fake.

Curuvar looks up from his food, slightly agitated at being interrupted again.

"Mmm?"
    "Yes, I suppose it is."
    "Will you be going to the Barrow of the Ogre King with the others?"

I'll have the next part of the adventure posted up in the morning.
    If you want to purchase items, I'll let you do so for a short time after the next leg is up.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    With a wry smile the elf nods, "I don't think I'm as powerful in the arcane arts as yourself, so I can't go alone to retrieve the horn by myself. So, yes, I will be going with the others into the Barrow of the Ogre King, would you happen to have any advice for myself or for the group as whole before we go to retrieve your missing skull, and the horn for the dwarf?"

Edit: Also sorry should have explained better...I wasn't trying to get the exact info on the wizards items. I was just trying to get an average idea of exactly HOW powerful this guy is, and why he's paying us to do something that he can do by himself, for free.

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    KorsahnKorsahn Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Having listened to everything, Kallas is very disconcerted by the wizard's attitude. With his patience tested by the man's callousness, he attempts a more direct approach.

"Considering that the watch have offered a reward for the venture, and that you are more than capable of reclaiming the totem, for what reason do you require us to take on the mantle?"
    Kallas look annoyed as he speaks, betraying his disdain for such an immoral character.
    "Perhaps if we had a powerful wizard such as your fine self, the group will not be subjugated to any risks?"
    Diplomacy check? 24

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    CP: The why would be an insight check, Thogg rolled one, but didn' determine exactly why.

Curuvar's patience tested, he calmly allows Kallas to finish.
    "Because, my hot headed friend, there are much more dangerous threats around here to deal with than goblins."

"This parlay is over."

And with that, Curuvar disappears.

((Rolan, you can now tell he's at least on par with your father))

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kallas frowns as Curuvar leaves, then he turns to the others.
    "As much as I smell trouble, more than simple goblins, I'm ready."

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It is still mid-morning when you set out from Loudwater. The light dusting of snow from the night before has burned off with the day's sun, though the wind's chill bites deep.

I need a total of 2 endurance checks, 2 nature checks, and 2 perception checks. Anyone can contribute but please do not contribute to more than 2 rolls. Please post the results here.

Also, I'd suggest anyone who hasn't spent healing surges, do so

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Whilst older than most of his companions, Kallas hails from a rugged land and has travelled far in his time. He trudges on doggedly.

"So where is everybody from? I heard you're from Airspur, Zan-kyri. Can't say I've ever travelled that far. How about you Rolan? Let me guess...Oh, maybe Myth Drannor?"
    He seems unphased, clambering over any rough patches with ease, even a little joviality.

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Zan offers his Endurance to help everyone keep up.
    Endurance: 1d20+5 18

"Yes, not many travel to Airspur - or this far away from it. Especially if they have problems with 'elementals.' What about you, Kallas?"

Obviously, Kallas' display of rugged endurance has warmed Zan to offer conversation while they trudge ahead.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Seems a little taken aback by Zan's insight into his prejudice.
    "I'm sorry if I've come across badly...in Impiltur we have...problems let's say. Not everything is as clear cut as here in the Grey Vale..." he says with more than a little amount of sadness, and plenty of ill concealed bitterness.

He recomposes himself as he climbs onto a small boulder, "I'll cease my negative talk, Pelor has given me faith and purpose. Impiltur has its good sides, though they are often hard to find. I remember when I was 13, I wandered off exploring the land around my village. We were always warned about various perils, but being young I cared not. I'd walked for hours, before I came across an amazing sight. I'd found an old waterfall, no longer flowing yet still magnificent. Standing at the top, I saw for miles... I got attacked by an owlbear, one of the most terrifying experiences of my life."

He pauses, reminiscence and fear playing across his face. Glancing back at Zan he resumes, "When I thought I was done for, I heard swift hooves and witnessed a majestic creature save my skin. A unicorn it was, it crashed into the side of the brute, driving its horn deep and flinging the howling owlbear over the edge of the falls. Then it turned to look at me, just for a moment before leaving me alone again.
    Suffice it to say, I never went out of the village alone again..."

He smiles, before hopping down and continuing onward.
    "Tell me of Airspur, if you will, Master Genasi. I can always appreciate a good yarn."

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Zan was probably referring to the general reaction to him in the area, although he may have taken noticed of Kallas reaction. "Don't worry about it; there are other things to think about. Us Genasi are very brash, like the elements we harness. Not to mention the... Abyssal Genasi."

History: 1d20+9 26

"You cannot imagine Airspur - you must see it. The city floats between cliffs, suspended by elements and crystals. It was practically destroyed when worlds collided, and the Genasi used it for shelter after we broke free of the Karshimis. Since then, we have built up a great city led by a Queen, then her daughter. The city is mostly my kind, although we also house some Half-Orcs. Even though the Genasi appear to be welcoming to all, they have their own prejudices - almost all centered on Dragonborn.

"Still, Airspur is a land without religion, which manages to stop most prejudice in its tracks. We have laws against the construction of temples, but we allow priests and the like to come in and try to convert who they wish. We have Stewards of Earth, Fire, Sky, and Sea in the government below the Queen."

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rolan smiles, "No nothing quite as unique as that. I'm from a small village in the Toril forest. My father was my mentor in the arcane arts..." Rolan's voice trails off as he absently picks at some bushes, he grabs a couple berries and pops them into his mouth one at a time chewing on them as they walk throughout the day.
    Nature check 1d20+10 = 22
    Also spending a healing surge to get back to full-health.

As Rolan walks along the path listening to Zan talk about his homeland Rolan keeps his ears open to what Zan is saying, but he keeps an eye out on the sides of the pathway. Growing up in the forest Rolan knows full well that danger can be around any corner.
    Perception check 1d20+5=15

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It's entering into afternoon by now. In another few hours you'll need to begin thinking about somewhere to spend the night, unless you intend to travel through it. You're deep under the thick canopy that is the Southwood now. Soft light filters through the trees casting many shadows. You smell it first. Something burning, smouldering. A few minutes later one of you spots the thin trail of smoke lazily drifting upwards through the trees from something up ahead.

Map:
    4837672655_fd2861e50f_b.jpg

Anything green that isn't the ground is shrubbery/bushes, and poses difficult terrain to pass through.
    Anything Brown and circular is a tree trunk.

I need you to tell me where you'd like to be placed on the map. You're coming from the east, and probably shouldn't be TOO spread out. I'll also need perception checks from everyone.

Radulus, you could probably use a healing surge. spend one before you roll perception, or lose your chance ;)

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Rolan's eyes are uniquely tuned, and he has no problem spotting anything that is out of place. Slowly stepping through the forest Rolan feels at home.
    Perception Check:1d20+5=23

Moving to (H,22)

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to be in F18, if possible. P.S.: Nice map!
    Perception: 1d20+0 9

Zan gets a nice line of sight to the fire, but can't make out anything.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thank you, I've been messing around with maptools for the past 2 days or so...downloaded a HECK of a lot of artwork, lots of it high quality although the only thing higher quality on this map is the shadow overlays for the groundcover. Also f-18 puts you halfway in a bush, but if Zan is cool with that, so am I.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Er, E18. Although that would explain the perception ;)

Initiative: 1d20+0 20 o.O

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You might as well roll initiative too while you're at it, JUST IN CASE.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Still amazed at his uncanny ability to perceive things, Rolan is a little slow to draw out his orb and is average in his reaction speed.
    Initiative: 1d20+0=10

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kallas, although at home traveling, is unused to such company, and as such pays little attention to the forest ahead.
    Perception 6
    I'd like to start in D17

Initiative 8

Korsahn on
  • Options
    AlphaboomerangAlphaboomerang Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Thogg takes position alongside the genasi.
    Start me in D18 if you would be so kind
    Initiative 19

Perception 14

Alphaboomerang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    As you move towards the smoke, you can just make out the source. A smoldering fire sits almost completely out in the middle of a dirty campsite. From the looks of it there was a small force staying here. Bones litter the ground along with discarded refuse. Just as you’re thinking to yourself that you must’ve found the goblin’s camp, Roland catches movement from off to the party’s left out of the corner of his eye. Before he can say a word, a shrill whistle pierces the air and two wolves and a goblin burst from the underbrush charging in your direction as a crossbow quiver streaks from the bushes, imbedding itself deeply in Thogg’s chest.

Map:
    4839672396_19829134dc_b.jpg
    Initiative:
    Shadow Wolf- HP 38/38, AC 17 Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14
    Zan-Kyri- HP 21/31, AC 19, Fort 14, Ref 14, Will 12 Surges 8/8 AP1/1
    Shadow Wolf 1- HP 38/38, AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14
    Skull Cleaver- HP 53/53, AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 12
    Kallas- Hp 14/28, AC 14, Fort 14, Ref 14, Will 16 Surges 5/8 AP 0/1 BLOODIED
    Radulus- HP 18/30, AC 17, Fort 16, Ref 12, Will 13 Surges 8/10 AP 0/1
    Sharpshooter- HP 31/31 AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 14, Will 11
    Rolan- HP 20/20, AC 14, Fort 10, Ref 14, Will 15 Surges 5/6 AP 0/1
    Thogg- HP 11/25, AC16, Fort14, Ref 17, Will 11 Surges 4/6 AP 0/1 BLOODIED

Combat Actions:
    Shadow Wolf Charge Kallas 1d20+9= 19 HIT, 1d8+1d6+2 damage = 14 Damage
    Shadow Wolf 1 Charge Radulus 1d20+9= 28 HIT, 1d8+1d6+2 damage = 12 Damage
    Skullcleaver- Charge Zan-Kyri 1d20+7= 20, 1d10+5 = 10 Damage
    Sharpshooter- Snipe vs Thogg 1d20+9 = 20, 1d6+1d6+4 = 12 Damage

Talk about an unlucky surprise round.
    Rolan, you can have a single surprise action, either Standard, move, or Minor.

Shadow Wolf is on deck
    Shadow Wolf is on deck

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    With lightning fast reflexes Rolan throws his arm out and two bolts of force fly from his fingertips. The bolts fly harmlessly past all the attackers as Rolan was distracted by the surprise attack and could not harness his energies to hit a target.
    Standard: Magic Missile, 1d20+4 = 6 vs Reflex, Miss

Well that was fucking useful

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The lightning quick wolf bites at Kallas, nipping his calf before moving back into the bushes.

Standard: Bite vs Kallas 1d20+8=23 HIT! 1d8+2 damage = 3 damage
    Move: H, 14
    Minor: Snarl

Zan-Kyri is up!
    Shadow Wolf1 is on deck

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kallas is shocked by the brutal attack and yelps as his calf is bitten into.
    Responding quickly, he bashes the wolf, forcing it backwards.

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Concentrates and sets his sights on the Shadow Wolf. Then, he moves in front of Kallas to protect him from the skull cleaver. With a crackling slash he keeps the Skull Cleaver locked in combat with him.
    Minor: Aegis of Assault (burst 2) on Shadow Wolf. Shadow Wolf is marked by Zan, -2 to attack anyone else.
    Move: Shift to F12
    Standard: Booming Blade vs Skull Cleaver's AC: 1d20+7 25 Hit for 1d8+5 9 lightning Damage. If Skull Cleaver moves away from Zan on its next turn, it takes 1d6 + Constitution lightning damage.

Squints on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The shadow wolf viciously bites at Kallas again, its teeth glancing off his armor.
    Snarling in frustration, it backs off, its form blurring slightly as the shadows coalesce around it.
    Enraged at being struck, the Goblin Skullcleaver swings wildly at Zan-Kyri, missing terribly.

Map:
    4840335961_d6c05a6337_b.jpg
    Initiative:
    Shadow Wolf- HP 35/38, AC 17 Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14 Has Concealment
    Zan-Kyri- HP 21/31, AC 19, Fort 14, Ref 14, Will 12 Surges 8/8 AP1/1
    Shadow Wolf 1- HP 38/38, AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 16, Will 14 Has Concealment
    Skull Cleaver- HP 44/53, AC 17, Fort 15, Ref 14, Will 12
    Kallas- Hp 11/28, AC 14, Fort 14, Ref 14, Will 16 Surges 5/8 AP 0/1 BLOODIED
    Radulus- HP 18/30, AC 17, Fort 16, Ref 12, Will 13 Surges 8/10 AP 0/1
    Sharpshooter- HP 31/31 AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 14, Will 11
    Rolan- HP 20/20, AC 14, Fort 10, Ref 14, Will 15 Surges 5/6 AP 0/1
    Thogg- HP 11/25, AC16, Fort14, Ref 17, Will 11 Surges 4/6 AP 0/1 BLOODIED

Combat Actions:
    Shadow Wolf 1- Bite vs Radulus 1d20+9= 14 MISS
    Move: (A,14)
    Minor: Snarl
    Shadow Stalk - The Wolf gains Concealment
    Skullcleaver- MBA vs Zan-Kyri 1d20+6 = 8 MISS!

Radulus, you can make an OA vs the wolf.

Kallas is up
    Radulus is on deck

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Was Shadow Wolf 1 attacking me or Radulus?
    Because Wolf x was the one adjacent as far as I can tell...

Twisting just enough to avoid the snapping jaws, Kallas backs away, words of power rolling off his lips.
    Standard: Astral Terror vs will
    Vs Shadow Wolf (will 14) Hit!
    Vs Skull Cleaver (will 12) Critical!
    Shadow Wolf takes 5 psychic damage and is pushed 2sq to J13
    Skull Cleaver takes 7 psychic damage and is pushed 2sq to I12

Move: to F17
    Minor: lick my very painful wounds...
    Radulus is up
    Sharpshooter on deck

Korsahn on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fixed. I forgot to turn map tokens on for you guys.

Shadow Wolf is below the group, attacked kallas twice and took damage from an OA

Shadow Wolf 1 is above the group, attacked Radulus twice, and Radulus still has an OA to resolve against it.

I will turn token names back on next map post for you.

Snowdown on