As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pc fan cancelling mic

Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I use skype alot, vent too and will be doing so a hell of alot more with doubles partners when sc2 comes out. I have an ongoing issue though, i have a usb mic and a very noisy computer, so noisy infact that sometimes when alot is running, it ramps up and really is a pain in the ass for anyone trying to hear me. So im looking for a new mic, and im wondering if anyone here has experience with this kind of issue and can advise a brand maybe, or a style of mic, which will either minimise surround sounds or remove them completely, at least so i can be heard smoothly when playing.

Cheers

I should say im not aiming for top of the line best you can buy stuff, so hopefully nothing too expensive.

League of Legends - Enzo III
Zombie Monkey on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Why not try and get quieter fans? Or maybe reposition the PC.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    both good suggestions, cant move the pc, i need a new mic in general anyhoo so a new fan would alleviate the issue, but id still need a new mic.

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I use a Sennheiser PC151, they cost about $80.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you use a mic on a headset, hopefully it'll pickup less ambient sound than one that is meant to be far away from your mouth

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you have really nice headphones and don't want to go the headset route (your best bet in solving the problem btw) you want to make sure you get a unidirectional microphone and not omnidirectional. Omni will pick up sound from multiple directions whereas uni will pick it up from one direction. This does mean you need to make sure you aren't talking into your mic from the side however, you have to line it up reasonably well.

DekuStick on