As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic 4; Now with more Jumping.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lest we look at previous Sonic games with rose tinted glasses, here's an interesting Sonic 3 bashing article. ;-)

Frem on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Lest we look at previous Sonic games with rose tinted glasses, here's an interesting Sonic 3 bashing article. ;-)

I didn't have a Genesis until I was like 21.

I can safely say my Sonic experience is unbiased.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonic 3&K is a game where you view it with rose tinted spectacles

and then someone knocks off the spectacles

and it's still rose coloured.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think that's much of a bashing article. As the title itself says, it's a good game with some potentially bad gameplay design. And I don't know if I agree with everything he said either. Sonic should be able to break spikes with his flash move? Like all the time?

Basically his whole argument is that the designers wanted you to play it with each character and have a different experience, which he equates with needing three different paths. Personally I think it's a greater achievement if all the paths can work with all the characters, even with their different abilities...but regardless, he calls it poor design because it doesn't match the designers' stated intentions, not because it is actually poor design. I don't feel bad about playing through with Knuckles just because I visit a lot of the same areas as Sonic.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daius wrote: »
    Sonic 3&K is a game where you view it with rose tinted spectacles

and then someone knocks off the spectacles

and it's still rose coloured.

That happens sometimes when I use the wrong power adapter on my Genesis

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    agoaj wrote: »
    They should have this torch mechanic in Oil Ocean.

I hate oil ocean so much.

Burning it to the ground er seafloor would make me so happy.

It's amazing to think that Sonic 2 predicted the BP oil disaster so long before it happened.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

It's amazing to think that Sonic 2 predicted the BP oil disaster so long before it happened.

Every zone of Sonic 2 has been eerily, chronologically prophetic since it was released.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Every zone of Sonic 2 has been eerily, chronologically prophetic since it was released.

Yeah, remember that time Las Vegas exploded into a pinball machine?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or that one time where the Death Egg re-entered the Earth's atmosphere and crash-landed in the ocean.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or that one time where the Death Egg re-entered the Earth's atmosphere and crash-landed in the ocean.

That's Sonic 3, and the Death Egg didn't crash into the ocean, it crashed into Angel Island, which is floating in the sky.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

That's Sonic 3, and the Death Egg didn't crash into the ocean, it crashed into Angel Island, which is floating in the sky.

To be fair, that's supposed to occur between games. Also, I forgot it landed on a land mass--could have swore it went down in water and he started re-building it on Angel Island. Also, Angel Island is in the sky? I never knew that, and I played all of the Sonic games to completion multiple times. I went so far as to finish Sonic 3/S&K with all possible characters/combinations, and with no gems, all chaos gems, and then all super gems. Yeah, it took me a while.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ...You fly onto the island at the beginning of Sonic 3. You're all Super Sonic and then you crash into Knuckles because Sonic is flying drunk or something and then BAM! No more emeralds.

President Rex on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I didn't actually finish S3 or S&K until very recently, and he has one interesting point in all his whining. Sonic 3 holds up just fine as a standalone product, but S&K does not. Together they make a really nice package.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ...You fly onto the island at the beginning of Sonic 3. You're all Super Sonic and then you crash into Knuckles because Sonic is flying drunk or something and then BAM! No more emeralds.

Right, and I remember Tails coasting the water before he arrives.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sonic canon is incredibly important to me

And that's why Robotnik should be dead at the start of Sonic 4

Because I blew that fucker up god damn it

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Game looks fun, that's all I got to say. I'm glad retro games are really finding their niche. I wish they were available in a form through some universal account, like a steam account that is accessable on whatever system you are using. That's my biggest problem with downloaded games, and ultimately as it comes down to it all games. But I understand the development has to be done differently for each platform. I just want a day in the near future that I can buy sonic 4 as a product, and play it remotely on my ipad, 360, ds or pc.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You fly into the water because Robotnik crashed into Angel Island and knocked the master emerald out of place. That's the story of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's why Knuckles is pissed at you, because he thinks YOU knocked Angel Island out of the sky.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I didn't actually finish S3 or S&K until very recently, and he has one interesting point in all his whining. Sonic 3 holds up just fine as a standalone product, but S&K does not. Together they make a really nice package.

I feel the opposite. I think Sonic 3 solo is by far the worst of the genesis games, and Sonic & Knuckles is superior to Sonic 2.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For some reason I could never get into S&K. I love the first two games but something about that one just doesn't click with me.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    For some reason I could never get into S&K. I love the first two games but something about that one just doesn't click with me.

IMO

Sonic CD > Sonic 3 & Knuckles > Sonic 1 > Sonic & Knuckles > Sonic 2 > Sonic 3

I generally dislike the majority of Sonic 3. I love Hydrocity Zone and Ice cap zone, I think Angel Island Zone is mediocre, and I hate everything else in the game. I also think it has, by far, the weakest music.

By contrast, there isn't a single zone in Sonic & Knuckles I don't like.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonic 3 connected to Sonic and Knuckles was my favorite. Used to play co-op with my brothers.

Plus I like Sonic snowboarding.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sonic 3 connected to Sonic and Knuckles was my favorite. Used to play co-op with my brothers.

Plus I like Sonic snowboarding.

I always liked the idea of Sonic snowboarding. It seemed so cool. I also like how it was worked into Sonic Adventure. You literally revisit the old Ice Cap Zone on Angel Island.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

You fly into the water because Robotnik crashed into Angel Island and knocked the master emerald out of place. That's the story of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's why Knuckles is pissed at you, because he thinks YOU knocked Angel Island out of the sky.

I dunno man, in This Island Hedgehog part 1 from issue 13 you can clearly see Sonic and Tails flying up to Angel Island and it is clearly floating. Knuckles is angry because Robotnik told him that you were going to steal his chaos emerald that kept it floating!

Also Tails' plane is actually green.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As far as music goes, I liked the direction Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles took it. Ice Cap Zone in particular was pretty awesome. I might just have my nostalgia goggles all up on's.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    As far as music goes, I liked the direction Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles took it. Ice Cap Zone in particular was pretty awesome. I might just have my nostalgia goggles all up on's.

I would probably have loved Ice Cap if I had heard it prior to the invention of GameFAQs.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Its not nostalgia, that music is boss.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that is pretty slick. Thinking on it, the music in those games played a large part in my liking them. Seemed more mature than what's found in Sonic 1 & 2 IMHO. Also, Hydrocity Act II fo' life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPYzgCI6Q1I&feature=related

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I dunno man, in This Island Hedgehog part 1 from issue 13 you can clearly see Sonic and Tails flying up to Angel Island and it is clearly floating. Knuckles is angry because Robotnik told him that you were going to steal his chaos emerald that kept it floating!

Also Tails' plane is actually green.

Oh God, you've made me go Sonic nerd by pulling out a manual.
    Sonic The Hedgehog 3 takes place on the mysterious Floating Island which holds many special powers. The source of these powers are Chaos Emeralds. In Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic and Tails thought that they had destroyed the Death Egg, which was Dr. Robotnik's heavily armored ship. Instead, Dr. Robotnik managed to crash land on the Floating Island. After learning that the island is able to float in the sky by harnessing the power of the emeralds, the Doc decides to steal the emeralds so he can repair his Death Egg ship.

To obtain the emeralds, Dr. Robotnik tricks Knuckles, the guardian of the Floating Island's Chaos Emeralds. He also tells Knuckles that Sonic and Tails are the ones trying to steal the emeralds.

Between battling the new types of Badniks and trying to outsmart Knuckles, Sonic and Tails have their work cut out for them once they arrive on the Floating Island and search for Dr. Robotnik.

You'll soon discover that Sonic The Hedgehog 3 is packed with Zones which are three times larger than those found in Sonic The Hedgehog 2. Each Zone is made up of two Acts, and each Act contains dozens of challenges and obstacles fro Sonic and Tails to overcome.

And apparently Knuckles is the last living descendent of a mysterious lost civilization. He's also 15 years old, so it's not so much lost as Knuckles is retarded and they left him behind.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If we're gonna talk about Sonic songs we love, then I'm gonna mention this criminally underrated song:

Hell yeah

That song always gets me in the mood to fuck some shit up. The beginning is like "Oh shit, it's go time." It helps that it replaced what was, bar none, my absolute most hated Sonic 3 song, this pile of shit:

Yuk

That song is too slow. By contrast, the Sonic & Knuckles version just feels like good old fashioned villain battlin' music.

I'd even go so far as to say it's my favorite boss theme in the series, except for Final Zone:

Holy shit

That horn section in the beginning, it screams "Yall ready for this shit?!"

It's sick as hell.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yup

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That is truly awful what they did to Flying Battery.

I always liked how it has a James Bond theme chord progression.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    gross

Ew

awesome

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really the more I think about it, S&K just didn't stand up to Sonic 3 in terms of Music

Apart from Flying Battery, The new miniboss theme and Doomsday Zone

Not really that much memorable stuff

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Really the more I think about it, S&K just didn't stand up to Sonic 3 in terms of Music

Apart from Flying Battery, The new miniboss theme and Doomsday Zone

Not really that much memorable stuff

Uuuh...

Ummm...

Errr....

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah I'll give you Sky Sanctuary

Not the other two though, don't ring a bell

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah I'll give you Sky Sanctuary

Not the other two though, don't ring a bell

Your memory is a terrible terrible place then. Those are two of my favorite songs in the series.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I always enjoyed the mood that the Hidden Palace music brought on.

Sandopolis' music will always be evil for trapping my in the pyramid and killing me with ghosts and death by time. And Death Egg is good music, but it doesn't seem to fit the zone that well...particularly once you've been listening to it for 30 minutes straight.

President Rex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I always enjoyed the mood that the Hidden Palace music brought on.

Ditto. It's probably the best remix of a zone's music in the game. Lava Reef Zone act 1 and Lava Reef Zone act 2 are night and day.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Then as soon as Knuckles manages to get it back up in the air the emerald gets fucking broken on him and he's gotta put it back together in Sonic Adventure.

Then he's gotta put it back together again in SA2

Dude just cannot keep that island floating.

Speed Racer on