As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sonic 4; Now with more Jumping.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ...You fly onto the island at the beginning of Sonic 3. You're all Super Sonic and then you crash into Knuckles because Sonic is flying drunk or something and then BAM! No more emeralds.

You fly into the water because Robotnik crashed into Angel Island and knocked the master emerald out of place. That's the story of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's why Knuckles is pissed at you, because he thinks YOU knocked Angel Island out of the sky.

Then as soon as Knuckles manages to get it back up in the air the emerald gets fucking broken on him and he's gotta put it back together in Sonic Adventure.

Then he's gotta put it back together again in SA2

Dude just cannot keep that island floating.

It's funnier when you realize that Knuckles' game in Sonic 3 & Knuckles takes place after Sonic's game.

He spends all of Sonic 3 & Knuckles trying to relift angel island, only to have it immediately begin to fall again. And then he saves it from falling (or not if you get the bad ending) only to have it crash again in Sonic Adventure. And, like you said, AGAIN in Sonic Adventure 2.

TheSonicRetard on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love Death Egg Zone's music. Unrelated, for some reason it reminds me of music from the GBA Sonic games.

This is probably my favorite one from those. Suffers for lack of good instrument samples but the composition's all there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ixg96gKPz8&feature=search

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2010
    I love Death Egg Zone's music. Unrelated, for some reason it reminds me of music from the GBA Sonic games.

This is probably my favorite one from those. Suffers for lack of good instrument samples but the composition's all there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ixg96gKPz8&feature=search

I learned to appreciate Sonic 3 & Knuckles music a lot thanks to Sonic Pocket Adventure. I dunno why, but those tinny, PSG renditions of Sonic 3 & Knuckles music got burned into my head, and from that point on I loved the S3&K soundtrack.

Awesome

Awesomer

Awesomest

Awesomester

TheSonicRetard on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually like Sonic 3's miniboss battle theme. It makes me want to have some kind of floor-dance battle with things.

And I just love that "Come on!" sample.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kupi wrote: »
    I actually like Sonic 3's miniboss battle theme. It makes me want to have some kind of floor-dance battle with things.

Hell yes

Speed Racer on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Good lord mymorningjackets' stuff is amazing. I'm going through all his stuff and I'm just in awe of some of these.

cr0w on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kupi wrote: »

Hell yes

Limed for truth and justice!

Sonic series always had great music. I would sometimes just load a level just to hear the music. It gave great ambiance to the level.

Who all thought that the Death Egg Zone in Sonic and Knuckles was crazy the first time through? I was thinking, "Whoa! Gravity changed! Damn that's rad!! Holy hell, is that a energy tube that I'm flying through? WOW! HOLY SHIT! SPACE BATTLE AFTER ROBOTNIC! GO SONIC!"

Edit: This was before I ever heard of Dragonball Z, so all that Super Sonic stuff was still cool.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    As much as I love S3&K, I have to agree with that critique of it a few pages back - on pretty much every point.

Sonic 2 flowed better for me whilst I ended up feeling railroaded a lot of the time in S3&K. Knuckles doing Carnival Night zone is the one that stands out the most in my memory... just running under the level for most of it.

Shutdown on
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Daius wrote: »
    Oh yeah I'll give you Sky Sanctuary

Not the other two though, don't ring a bell

Your memory is a terrible terrible place then. Those are two of my favorite songs in the series.

Yep, me too. Lava Zone is great, as well.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Shutdown wrote: »
    As much as I love S3&K, I have to agree with that critique of it a few pages back - on pretty much every point.

Sonic 2 flowed better for me whilst I ended up feeling railroaded a lot of the time in S3&K. Knuckles doing Carnival Night zone is the one that stands out the most in my memory... just running under the level for most of it.

But see, if you were like me, this just made you want to work harder to take the other paths. They were there, it was just hard to get to them sometimes. To me, that made it feel like there was more mystery to S3&K, I suppose. Also, the claim that article makes about being slowed down more often--there were plenty of moments like that in both Sonic and Sonic 2. Places where jumping and getting oxygen was more important, for example. Or buckets that carry you along like in Hill Top Zone.

I love it, but in many ways, feel that Sonic 2 was too linear. Yes, there were branching paths, but it was too easy to go either way most of the time. In Sonic 3, you had to work to go that different direction. Maybe I'm just masochistic?

Although, being able to go back later as Knuckles was pretty boss. I spent all my time figuring out how to go places I never could with Sonic. :mrgreen:

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isn't Sonic 2 the one that's notorious for putting enemies in your path?

President Rex on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Enemies tend to be in your path in all videogames.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought that the island was still floating in Sonic Adventure, somehow, but was chained or otherwise tied to the mainland?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shutdown wrote: »

But see, if you were like me, this just made you want to work harder to take the other paths. They were there, it was just hard to get to them sometimes. To me, that made it feel like there was more mystery to S3&K, I suppose. Also, the claim that article makes about being slowed down more often--there were plenty of moments like that in both Sonic and Sonic 2. Places where jumping and getting oxygen was more important, for example. Or buckets that carry you along like in Hill Top Zone.

I love it, but in many ways, feel that Sonic 2 was too linear. Yes, there were branching paths, but it was too easy to go either way most of the time. In Sonic 3, you had to work to go that different direction. Maybe I'm just masochistic?

Although, being able to go back later as Knuckles was pretty boss. I spent all my time figuring out how to go places I never could with Sonic. :mrgreen:

I think the difficulty does make a big difference, I've felt it's easier to see where the second pathway is in S2 over S3&K - I think it's really a gravitationally thing; If I'm just playing casually (not hunting through levels looking for secrets) I find it's easier to 'mix-up' a play through of S2 which contrasts with S3&K where I end up realising I've gone through the same bit I have gone through every game.

I'm totally aware this is just something based on my on experience.

Shutdown on
    edited August 2010
    I think for me was that Sonic 3 and S&K had save options. If you turned off Sonic 2, you had to start over from the beginning, including getting the chaos emeralds. In Sonic 3 and S&K, it saved your progress.

I remember back in the day, I had a save for Sonic alone, Sonic & Tails, Tails, and Knuckles. All of them with all the super emeralds.

So that was pretty cool.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought that the island was still floating in Sonic Adventure, somehow, but was chained or otherwise tied to the mainland?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5NayuhDSsg

Speed Racer on
    edited August 2010
    Ah, thanks. I'd forgotten all about those cutscenes. I guess the island just sits a bit higher in the water now than it did back in Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

But is it me, or did the island seem a LOT smaller when you actually go to it?

Ah, well. Anyway, watching some of those scenes takes me back... I wasn't big into 3D when it first appeared, largely due to the graphics of the time. With a few odd exceptions, I thought a lot of stuff didn't look or translate very well. Super Mario 64 and even The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time disappointed me a bit on that front after the earlier promises of "Project Reality" and games that would look like Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park.

But Sonic Adventure and the Dreamcast? That's when I remember first really thinking that 3D looks pretty good. There were exceptions prior; I thought Metal Gear Solid, Mega Man Legends, Bushido Blade, and Star Fox 64 did pretty well with the lower-polygon counts, for example. But Sonic Adventure is where I remember sitting up and saying "yes, sir" to 3D graphics.

On a related note, can't wait for the XBLA version of Sonic Adventure. Hopefully I can actually catch Froggy this time. :P Still have no idea why I never could in the original...

(Crazy Taxi, I'm looking less forward to, since it sounds like the original soundtrack may not be in.)

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited August 2010

I was just gonna say this.

I mean, where is the snow covered ice mountain and the carnival at? I don't see the desert or pyramids either!

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2010

I was just gonna say this.

I mean, where is the snow covered ice mountain and the carnival at? I don't see the desert or pyramids either!

The part actually containing the master emerald isn't the entire island, it's just a small bit. The entire land mass is the island.

And you go to the snow covered ice mountain. It's ice cap zone. That zone in Sonic Adventure is the same from Sonic 3.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    See, I saw it as all the zones in Sonic 3 and S&K were all on the Angel Island. I just assumed it was a big island with a volcano in the middle. I remember as a kid, looking at the opening screen of S&K where Knuckles and Sonic are standing side by side and trying to see if I could identify all the zones in the game.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2010
    I think for me was that Sonic 3 and S&K had save options. If you turned off Sonic 2, you had to start over from the beginning, including getting the chaos emeralds. In Sonic 3 and S&K, it saved your progress.

I remember back in the day, I had a save for Sonic alone, Sonic & Tails, Tails, and Knuckles. All of them with all the super emeralds.

So that was pretty cool.

Me too, only I went and intentionally beat it with no emeralds, the regular ones, and the super ones--for each of those characters. Started over each time. :)

I may have mentioned this already, so if you've already read it, please disregard.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never played Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Genesis. My introduction to the Sonic series was via the PC ports of Sonic CD and the Sonic & Knuckles Collection.

Subsequently, the Genesis music for several stages in Sonic 3 just sounds strange to me.
    The PC music also sounds a lot more awful than I remember. Apparently nobody on YouTube gets decent sound from their MIDI card.

Icecap! The Genesis version might be better, but does it give me nostalgia? I think not!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVK-UEY-yE&feature=related

I definitely prefer this to the original one. It might be that I lack taste, or that I hate horribly compressed sounding voices.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3wxsCcfxQ

Edit: Also, this. Although I'm not fond of either version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoj7kUXbrX0

Frem on
    edited August 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    I never played Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Genesis. My introduction to the Sonic series was via the PC ports of Sonic CD and the Sonic & Knuckles Collection.

Subsequently, the Genesis music for several stages in Sonic 3 just sounds strange to me.
    The PC music also sounds a lot more awful than I remember. Apparently nobody on YouTube gets decent sound from their MIDI card.

Icecap! The Genesis version might be better, but does it give me nostalgia? I think not!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVK-UEY-yE&feature=related

I definitely prefer this to the original one. It might be that I lack taste, or that I hate horribly compressed sounding voices.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_3wxsCcfxQ

Edit: Also, this. Although I'm not fond of either version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoj7kUXbrX0

That's.....that's horrible!

D:

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ...You fly onto the island at the beginning of Sonic 3. You're all Super Sonic and then you crash into Knuckles because Sonic is flying drunk or something and then BAM! No more emeralds.

You fly into the water because Robotnik crashed into Angel Island and knocked the master emerald out of place. That's the story of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. That's why Knuckles is pissed at you, because he thinks YOU knocked Angel Island out of the sky.

Then as soon as Knuckles manages to get it back up in the air the emerald gets fucking broken on him and he's gotta put it back together in Sonic Adventure.

Then he's gotta put it back together again in SA2

Dude just cannot keep that island floating.

Look at his ancestors dude is genetically incompetent.

" We don't like those cute thingies all up in our emerald! "

" What about the deadly guardian with god like powers ?"
    " Oh please if he was really all that strong that emerald would be lifting an entire island or something"

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited August 2010
    It's weird, when I was younger I liked Knuckles head and shoulders above the rest of the cast

Now I am Sonic all the way

Speed Racer on
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's okay, as a kid I thought Tails was easily the best character. He had two tails and that somehow allowed him to fly! And he also had an airplane! As I grew up I realized that he was usually portrayed as just kind of annoying.
    Tails is still my favorite.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    edited August 2010
    Sonic was literally the coolest thing ever when I was a kid.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    I was a Mario kid growing up, and my friend was the Sonic guy. Of course, we'd play one-another's games/systems, in which case he'd tend to be Luigi on Mario titles.

Naturally, I was thrilled when Tails came along. Even more so on the opportunities we could get a second controller going.

On another note, with the discussion above, I cannot help but wonder what a 3D Sonic 3 & Knuckles might be like...

...you know, if done right.

Edit: Just went to watch some Sonic Adventure footage right now, and... you know, it almost seems like Sonic Adventure transitioned 2D Sonic gameplay to 3D better than Mario did. Not going into sequels, or even other characters, but just Sonic in SA1. It seems like more elements and such were kept, plus your goal was pretty well defined, while Mario has you hunting for Stars.

Not saying 3D Sonic is better than 3D Mario, either, just that SA seemed to feel like classic Sonic in 3D, but without resorting to turning to a 2D angle. Heck, Mario never even got invincible Stars or Fire Flowers until Galaxy.

Then again, it's been a while since I've played (when is the XBLA release due again?), so my mind and the videos may just be playing tricks on me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sonic was literally the coolest thing ever when I was a kid.

Can not lime hard enough.

Igort on
    edited August 2010
    I got a Genesis pretty late in the game, half because I lived in a Nintendo household and half because i wasn't old enough to really get into video games until it was already relatively old. We picked up a used Genesis with Sonic 3, and the order I actually got the Sonic games was:

Sonic 3
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 1
    Sonic and Knuckles

I didn't even know you were "supposed" to connect 3 and S&K together to get the full game until a good ten years later, I just thought it was a perk the same as in Sonic 2.

I've still never played Sonic CD.

Speed Racer on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No Knuckles in this one? He and Tails are the only two non-sonic protagonists I can stand. I'm not going to complain about them erring on the side of too few friends, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also I figure this is as appropriate a place as any to ask, but TSR, do you know where I can find that comic of tails screwing Sonic over in a variety of ways?

joshofalltrades on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also I figure this is as appropriate a place as any to ask, but TSR, do you know where I can find that comic of tails screwing Sonic over in a variety of ways?

I'm not TSR, but are you looking for this particular comic, perhaps?
    3322e51.gif

TetraNitroCubane on
    edited August 2010

I'm not TSR, but are you looking for this particular comic, perhaps?
    3322e51.gif

Yesssssss, that is the one

Much thankings

joshofalltrades on
    edited August 2010
    The new nintendo power claims they've played the new build, but I don't think so. It sounds like the partnernet build because they claim they can pick any act/zone, and the wall segments in LLZ act 3 and MGZ act 3 are still there, despite Ruby mentioning their removal.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The new nintendo power claims they've played the new build, but I don't think so. It sounds like the partnernet build because they claim they can pick any act/zone, and the wall segments in LLZ act 3 and MGZ act 3 are still there, despite Ruby mentioning their removal.

Aren't magazines made like 2 or 3 months in advance due to publishing schedules?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited August 2010

Aren't magazines made like 2 or 3 months in advance due to publishing schedules?

That's not really the case with downloadable titles

EDIT: Oh, misread that

usually about a month and a half head, yeah.

TheSonicRetard on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    plufim wrote: »
    As far as music goes, I liked the direction Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles took it. Ice Cap Zone in particular was pretty awesome. I might just have my nostalgia goggles all up on's.

Its not nostalgia, that music is boss.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24

You see to me this is pretty boring and doesn't come close to the music of the first two games.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
    edited August 2010
    I got a Genesis pretty late in the game, half because I lived in a Nintendo household and half because i wasn't old enough to really get into video games until it was already relatively old. We picked up a used Genesis with Sonic 3, and the order I actually got the Sonic games was:

Sonic 3
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 1
    Sonic and Knuckles

I didn't even know you were "supposed" to connect 3 and S&K together to get the full game until a good ten years later, I just thought it was a perk the same as in Sonic 2.

I've still never played Sonic CD.

While I mostly played at that friend's house, I did get my own Genesis... sometime after the 32-bit era had begun, I think. It was a second-model with a six-button controller, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles included. Friend gave me Sonic 2, and the only other game I had for a long while was Garfield: Caught in the Act (which I did enjoy).

I was disappointed that by that time, SEGA had quit packing in the cases for games bundled with the hardware, though.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I only own Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 for the Genesis. The rest I played via the Sega Channel (and Sonic CD via the computer). I now technically own them all via compilations.

Opty on