As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Expendables - August 13th, In a Fucking Theater, Where Violence Belongs

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mickey Rourke's monologue

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah, didn't see much shaky cam outside of the car chase.

One hell of slapstick movie though, that shotgun scene was pure art. Fun as hell movie all around, and I thought Jason Statham was particularly at his A game in this.

DanHibiki on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Great, great action movie. Every time Statham had a knife I was elated.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Title should be changed to "Remember this shit at Christmas!"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

is that what he said? Too many people were screaming with joy to hear it in the theater.

DanHibiki on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mickey Rourke's monologue

That was definitely a thing, huh.

Looks like the "Let your nuts hang, be a man, eat raw meat" ad campaign is working - Friday night estimates have it beating Eat Pray Love by around 5 million.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This film was awesome. Yes, don't expect it to be a "thinking persons" movie. Thats not the point of it. Action thick and thin. "The Expendables" is supposed to be that!

Ticaldfjam on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just got back, and it was everything I hoped it would be.

Loud. Violent. Excellent.
    During the last scene where Statham tells Stallone that the girl wasn't right for him their eyes locked for a few seconds. I couldn't resist, and yelled 'now make out!'

Well, I thought it was funny.

chamberlain on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A mantastic mangasm.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

is that what he said? Too many people were screaming with joy to hear it in the theater.

Yeah thats what it sounded like to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's the line. Terry Crews got the best one-liner, AND the best weapon.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This was amazing. A few rough spots, like the monologue, but great overall. The look of terror on Austin's face
    when Crews shows up with that monster weapon - what was it, a full-auto shotgun with explosive rounds? -
    was priceless. I'd love to see a gif of his reaction changing as he looks down that hallway.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Movie needed more Lundgren. Also, more warning shots.

I didn't find the shaky thing to be bad at all. A few instances of problematic editing, but this was miles ahead of something like Batman Begins.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Terrible movie. Action was sub-par, I did notice either shaky-cam or weird editing, the cgi violence was poorly done,dialog wasn't even cheesy-good but just awkward (wtf was that Rourke monologue?), unnecessary shit like Statham and that girl. I frankly was more entertained by the action in Scott Pilgrim.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This was everything I've ever wanted in a movie and more.

I'd pay to see it again just for Crews' hallway scene.
    Terrible movie. Action was sub-par, I did notice either shaky-cam or weird editing, the cgi violence was poorly done,dialog wasn't even cheesy-good but just awkward (wtf was that Rourke monologue?), unnecessary shit like Statham and that girl. I frankly was more entertained by the action in Scott Pilgrim.

I submit that you are a terrible movie.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I concur

pyromaniac221 on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jet Li's character was named Yin Yang for fucks sake.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have 10 tickets ordered in advance for a showing in 2.5 hours. Going to head out early and get some good food and a beer or two nearby before meeting my friends, enjoy the fuck out of this movie, and then stay out all night with said friends drinking, dancing, and over-quoting the movie.

Yes, tonight's going to be a good night.

Wow, what an incredibly poor choice of words. Oh well, if anything can get images of Zonugal dancing out of my head, it should be this movie. At least until we're out afterward and the inevitable stream of Black Eyed Peas songs hits. Fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Ketar on
  • ThatOneYoYoGuyThatOneYoYoGuy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vapid wrote: »

The Statham subplot was worth for this:
    "Next time, I'll deflate all your balls." Probably one of my favorites from the movie.

ThatOneYoYoGuy on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Terrible movie. Action was sub-par, I did notice either shaky-cam or weird editing, the cgi violence was poorly done,dialog wasn't even cheesy-good but just awkward (wtf was that Rourke monologue?), unnecessary shit like Statham and that girl.

pretty much

if this is supposed to be a homage to the 80's they did an awful fucking job, especially considering they had most of the 80's with them in the cast

Nuzak on
    edited August 2010
    unnecessary shit like Statham and that girl

Charisma Carpenter.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited August 2010
    And how was that unnecessary? It gave some simple foundation for Jason Statham to wreck a bunch of toolbags and threaten one with an awesome knife.

pyromaniac221 on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    unnecessary shit like Statham and that girl

Charisma Carpenter.

Something something "Carpenter," something something "wood"

Joolander on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    So a Dove ad before the movie. A quick look at the crowd is making me think that feminine body wash ads may be marketing money poorly spent.
    Dove, really? My theatre ran the Old Spice bodywash ad. It was well received. :lol:

Expendables felt like Rambo V with a style of humor reminiscent of Demolition Man. Which is pretty awesome.

I noticed the shakycam and bad editting too, but only in one part, where
    They were rescuing Stallone from Austin and had the hand to hand battle with the guards and Gary Daniels. It was probably the worst action scene in the whole movie with the shakycam.

It didn't exactly have the feel of the 80's movie, but it was still enjoyable. More enjoyable than Rambo IV for me.

Now to sit back and wait for

EXPENDABLES 2: EXPEND HARDER

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited August 2010
    She is gorgeous, is what I'm saying.

Most certainly not unnecessary.

And besides, nothing Statham does is unnecessary.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

man you're gonna appreciate the first result for her in GIS

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2010

man you're gonna appreciate the first result for her in GIS

I'll be....I'll be back in a sec.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My one gripe
    No Lundgren vs. Stallone? Really?

Kyougu on
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait....why do people hate the Roarke monologue? I liked it.

Also, I found the first half of the movie too slow, but the second half made up for it.

The Last Gent on
    edited August 2010
    That lip, man

that lip

pyromaniac221 on
    edited August 2010
    Lundgren makes an awesome villain, and he actually got to do some Renegade interrupts a-la Mass Effect.

DanHibiki on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dolph Lundgren has a master's degree in chemical engineering, was a Fulbright scholar at M.I.T., speaks seven languages, was an elite marine ranger in the Swedish military, and is a third degree black belt in Kyokushin karate.

Holy shit

Godfather on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This movie was a blast to watch. I wouldn't say it's the best movie ever made, but at least I had fun watching it.

urahonky on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nuzak wrote: »
    Terrible movie. Action was sub-par, I did notice either shaky-cam or weird editing, the cgi violence was poorly done,dialog wasn't even cheesy-good but just awkward (wtf was that Rourke monologue?), unnecessary shit like Statham and that girl.

pretty much

if this is supposed to be a homage to the 80's they did an awful fucking job, especially considering they had most of the 80's with them in the cast

Precisely how I felt after watching

Scott Pilgrim was a tough act to follow anyways, but yeah

I was so damn bored watching this movie. The action was pretty terrible, and pretty terribly shot, throughout.

Kinda bums me out, I don't do double features very often, and I was looking forward to this one for a while. Alas, it was only a half-great day at the theaters.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ReaperSMSReaperSMS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I could see what some people were referring to with the action not being as well refined as Rambo IV, but Crews' line and the awesome Governator burn make up for that in spades.

The usual "who shoulda been in here" discussion was had afterwards, but later imdb research has shown:

Norris: Went born again 9/11 square after Walker
    Van Damme: Emo decade
    Seagal: In Machete
    Pacino/De Niro/etc: Not their kinda movie
    Trejo: In Machete
    Fred Williamson: He's &%*@(# 78. Not redoin his Dusk 'til Dawn style.
    Frank Dudikoff: He did something other than American Ninja?
    Mr. T: Not doing this shit no mo.

ReaperSMS on
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Dolph Lundgren has a master's degree in chemical engineering, was a Fulbright scholar at M.I.T., speaks seven languages, was an elite marine ranger in the Swedish military, and is a third degree black belt in Kyokushin karate.

Holy shit

This makes his line "I'm no math whiz," even funnier. :lol:

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Y'know, it's funny, but I was so taken aback by Dolph not having a russian accent. Call me ignorant, but my only exposure to him is Rocky 4 and Masters of the Universe, both movies in which he was letting his european-ness fly.
    So I was so shocked to hear him speaking a perfect american accent.

The Last Gent on
  • BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Holy shit

This makes his line "I'm no math whiz," even funnier. :lol:

Did you ever see that clip of him performing Elvis songs?

The guy's not a bad musician, either. I wonder if he ever studied music at all.

Also, yeah, I really want to see this movie now. I just hope that Lundgren, Crews and Li get a good amount of screen time because they're the actors I'm the most interested in seeing in this.

BigBear on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't get the bitching about Rourke's monologue.

There's always one of those touching, humanizing moments in an action movie, and Rourke usually plays the quirky, fairly crazy guys; I thought it was perfectly in-line with the genre, and with the rest of the movie.

Thanatos on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Holy shit
    Yeah, Dolph Lundgren is a genuine fucking badass. He's also six-and-a-half feet tall, and in fantastic fucking shape for his age (he's 52 years old).

Thanatos on