As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] 4, now with online multiplayer!! Coming to 3DS 2013

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, considering this is the flagship monster for Port 3:

mhp3rd_dl_m01.jpg

Your wish is granted. :P

Also, the bear. Maybe they'll bring back the apes, though I could go either way with those. Get blasted through the air from a Congalala super fart, and the charm wears off pretty quick.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    SLZMatrixSLZMatrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    btw, also, there's a new unannounced herbivore. you can see it in the royal ludroth scan, too green to be him, and it's got elephant/rhino/hippo feet. like a herbivorous dinosaur. also, the hunter is clearly slashing it, yet there is no "eye" emblem beside the name, yellow or red. new herbivore

SLZMatrix on
    Vicariously I Live While The Whole World Dies.
    Monster Hunter Tri : Pandion/JFRXYE Xbox360 Gamertag: GypBuster
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    now it just needs to come out for wii and i will be set.

i think i found an armor set i like and will be a nice alternative and maybe good for alatreon as well

combo of Dober and Barioth(+) gives you chancefor drag res, evasion, marathon, crit draw.

if i go with the + barioth i also get evasion distance it will just depend on gemming etc to get the best possibile skill set

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MHP3 also has some sort of full on Armadillo-Bear type monster in it...

Did some hunts last night with 3 guys from Minegarde spamming Pierce S. I was just there to chop off tails. Nothing was still alive after 10 minutes, most things didn't last 5. Now I want a Pierce set...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MHP3 also has some sort of full on Armadillo-Bear type monster in it...

Did some hunts last night with 3 guys from Minegarde spamming Pierce S. I was just there to chop off tails. Nothing was still alive after 10 minutes, most things didn't last 5. Now I want a Pierce set...

pierce is great. usually my hunting routine goes like this: crag s, clust s, any weaknesses, then para. after that, i use a mixture of pierce and when there's an opening, i'll bomb or use my wyvern fire. i gemmed in crag +, royal ludroth though, so eventually i'll need something a bit better. i found a nice armor set online for pierce too, which i'll post once i find a gun to go with it

SLZMatrix on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seems to me that any Pierce set is basically: Diablos Helm, Chest and Arms. With whatever Waist and Legs you want for skills.

I'm thinking that with Barioth legs and waist I might be able to get Evade+2, or definantly +1 which is always a boon for gunner. Or failing that Aganktor for Guard+1/2.

Then I guess I'll need a gun...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well the guard only works if you have the stock with a shield.

barioth is actually pretty easy to make though evade is highest on the gloves and wasit (LR) and Chest and gloves (HR)

though it is pretty easy to upgrade the LR to HR

I see that it is Jho event now. Anyone interested in throwing down? i need some more barioth parts but would be down to try

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Has anyone stopped to consider the potential for ridiculous damage when using the Barroth Smasher GS with Critical Draw? Think about it: Barroth weapons have delirious attack, but shit Affinity. Critical Draw removes that problem as long as you rely mainly on draw attacks like you should be doing anyway.

According to the handy-dandy MH3 weapons app I love so much, with Power Charm, Demondrug/Kitchen Attack Up (S), and 100% Critical, the Barroth Smasher ranks among at least the top three for a great majority of monsters.

It seems like this should be pretty obvious to anyone who stops to think for a moment, but I've never seen any discussion on the matter, let alone people USING the sword.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's a fair point, and I'm not sure why I've never seen people using it. I guess if it's only in the top 3 then it's not the absolute best? By the point in the game where you can afford to mess around with skills and stats then there's no point shooting for second best weapon...

Damn changes from Unite; I found an Artisan +4 gem and thought 'awesome, with a 3 slot armour piece I can get Evade+2 and Sharpness+1.' So I made Barioth+ armour and then found at the Artisan threshold had been boosted from +10 to +15. Very irritating. But at least I got to replace me low rank Barioth stuff, and I managed to charm/gem in Sneak and Fire Res +10.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    By the time you can make Barroth Smasher you may as well save your cash and pour your genocidal thirst into Deviljho instead and get very best GS in the game. Unless you have a dedicated group running the Wyvern Egg quest, money is pretty hard to get when you're an obsessive armor/weapon crafter like me :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, it is #1 against several, including Barioth, Gigginox, and grounded Alatreon, among others. Naturally, you'd always want to choose the most effective weapon, but there are certainly times when the Smasher is that weapon.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Except, the Smasher has terrible sharpness compared to Anguish(P). Quoting the wiki: purple:150%, white: 130%, blue: 125%.

Without Sharpness+1, the Smasher is 1056 * 1.25 = 1320, and Anguish is 960 * 1.3 = 1248 (before dragon) Slight edge to Smasher if dragon is ignored.

With Sharpness+1, Smasher is 1056 * 1.25 (because its still only blue) = 1320, while Anguish is 960 * 1.5 (purple now) = 1440. Thus doing more damage even if the dragon is ignored.

Lastly, and personal preference, that 1 slot on the Anguish can help achieve a skill that would be impossible with no slots on the Smasher.

This might be totally incorrect, but it's how I understood it to work.

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @Stryker: Actually, the multipliers are 1.2, 1.32, and 1.5, but that's just me nit-picking. But yes, assuming you have the appropriate armor/talisman needed to get Sharpness+1 AND Critical Draw, yes, Anguish beats out Barroth in every case. But that's a Devijho weapon, which, as a rule, are unfairly good against well near everything. :P

Okay, so playing around with hammers some more offline, I've made a few more observations:

Charging gives you immunity to wind pressure. AWESOME!
    You need at least blue sharpness to not bounce off fucking everything (e.g. Rath wings). NOT AWESOME!
    Mashing the X button haphazardly is a bad idea because you can't change your mind and evade before the second/third attack.
    You have a really long cooldown period after a lot of attacks where you can't evade, leaving you wide open to the monster whose face you were just pounding.
    Rathian's tailflip is stupid and can hit you from a good foot away.
    Evasion+1 doesn't do a terrible lot of good if you can't get it up to +2.
    I still cannot use hammers very well.

And SnS are a pain to use underwater. (FUCKING DEPTH PERCEPTION, HOW DOES IT WORK?)

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Here's the set I have now. Nothing in it too difficult to get once you can access 6*, even the charm is pretty obtainable.

http://www.monsterhunter-armory.com/combination_details.php?combination=1703

Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mts wrote: »
    well the guard only works if you have the stock with a shield.

barioth is actually pretty easy to make though evade is highest on the gloves and wasit (LR) and Chest and gloves (HR)

though it is pretty easy to upgrade the LR to HR

I see that it is Jho event now. Anyone interested in throwing down? i need some more barioth parts but would be down to try

actually it's just barrels that have shield attachments IIRC

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    stock barrel, whatever, he still needs a part witha shield.

miz
    hammers are very much effected by wind pressure. its teh bane of our existence trying to time it so you get to a monster right as they land, with a a full charge.

the only attack that you can't really dodge out of at teh end is a full on windmill. i find the trick with that is to use it to move along the monster so the final hit is somewhere safe off to the side.

besides teh souper pound is way more effective on a stationary monster

I don't thnk blue sharpness matters. none of my hammers have it right now and you only bounce off certain parts of the wings and things like uragan jaws which everyone bounces off of

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i used to use the hammer in MHF2. kicked butt. i think i'll try to use it again, and learn to use the lance as well.

anyways, has anyone actually noticed the size differance in monsters. like you'll be fighting ex) rathalos and he looks a little smaller or larger? i did but i always thought it was just me and the size number was just a number assigned randomly (except for mini uragaan of course)

UNTIL YESTERDAY!!! DUN DUN DUUUUN. It was The White Wind of the Tundra, the offline endgame urgent dual barioth quest. I killed the two in the same area, and i thought one looked larger. both had there necks perfectly rested on the ground, not floating or into the ground. i stood by both barioth necks right where the head starts. one was indeed larger. Then after the quest, i got two new records:

Old Record
    This Run
    Longest
    Shortest

SLZMatrix on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yea. there is a small and a large version i believe.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    @SLZM: Old hat, son.

But yeah, it took me a while to realize there were occassional actual variations in the size of the models too. (Teeny-tiny G. Jaggi are my favorite :> )
    I don't remember what the first monster I actually noticed it on was, but it was a lot bigger than usual. Now almost every time I see some monsters, particularly Blos, I jump to the conclusion that they must be bigger than usual. Then, of course, they turn out to be average size. :U

@mts: well, I don't know too much about the strategy involved, but as long as I was in the charge stance, holding down R, I could stand directly underneath a landing wyvern and get right up next to and behind air-charging Ian without wind knockback.

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You'd be amazed at how big/small things could get on the engine used; the folks who did custom quests for Freedom 2/Unite would sometimes make doozies; elder dragons that were waist high, kut ku so large that their tail swing cleared your head by 10 feet. The hilarity of those were either in the fact that the big monsters would either have hits that would miss you completely, or there'd be absolutely no way to avoid the hit. Or tiny little puppy monsters with full-sized flamethrower breaths. :P

And hammer charges are indeed unaffected by (most) winds (can't remember if kushala in 2/Unite negated hammer charge). But if you were trying to pull off the triple pound, then you'd obviously get blown away.

Supercharge also doesn't bounce. Not even on the Leno jaw.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Haven't seen the Phantom Uragaan yet, I take it.

jothki on
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I'm at rank 30 and have yet to do Ura for my urgent. I'm trying to build a good set to jump into high rank with but I was wondering how this one works.

Full Jhen set upgraded all the way, Wyvern Jawblade, and a charm that has 2 slots.

All my single slots would be Attack and my doubles would have Assault.

In the end I get this :
    Recovery Spd +1
    Focus
    Razor Sharp
    Combination -5%
    Attack Up (M)

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Short version: Wearing max-def low-rank armor at the beginning of high rank is slightly worse than how you were naked at the beginning of the game. Start over with the basic high-rank armors, such as Leather+ and you will have better defense and skills.

Later on, once you have high-rank monster bits in your box, you can start upgrading your low-rank armor's rarity. This makes its defense jump up to match high-rank sets.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hmm.

so finally got all teh pieces for my dober/barioth set but not sure how i like the gem situation. i am realizing i can really only have either evasion or evade distance if i want some of the other skills (stamina, crit draw, drag res)

right now i have gem'ed in evadasion +2 and evade distance but i think i might get rid of one and put in another skill

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Short version: Wearing max-def low-rank armor at the beginning of high rank is slightly worse than how you were naked at the beginning of the game. Start over with the basic high-rank armors, such as Leather+ and you will have better defense and skills.

Later on, once you have high-rank monster bits in your box, you can start upgrading your low-rank armor's rarity. This makes its defense jump up to match high-rank sets.

Ah crud I forgot about the whole defense thing... but thanks for the reminder. Now I won't walk into high rank hunts and get torn to shreds, or at least not as badly heh.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i don't think any early HR is better than a fully upgraded rare LR version at first.

just bring extra potions etc to the fight. I didn't go HR until i upgraded rathian armor to HR, adn then i added two HR rath pieces and was able to get Health +50 HG earplugs , fire res +10.

For anything other than water people it was great.

it didn't work too well for me against gobul but i hate him,

i think for early gobul i just switched to lagi armor for the resistance.

I think i found an acceptable combo. evade +1, evasion up and crit draw. though i can also add drag res with a 2 slot weapon

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    Haven't seen the Phantom Uragaan yet, I take it.

Err, you talking about my post? The size one? If so, I don't think you thoroughly read it, in one part, i said, "except mini uragaan".

SLZMatrix on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My friends have become obsessed with the MH series to the point of making "Monster Hunter (Tri) Tuesdays" and playing the PSP version on Fridays when we all hang out. Crazy.

Also, a comic we did that is only partial MH related:

comic_0331_monsterhunter.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    mts wrote: »
    i don't think any early HR is better than a fully upgraded rare LR version at first.

just bring extra potions etc to the fight. I didn't go HR until i upgraded rathian armor to HR, adn then i added two HR rath pieces and was able to get Health +50 HG earplugs , fire res +10.

For anything other than water people it was great.

it didn't work too well for me against gobul but i hate him,

i think for early gobul i just switched to lagi armor for the resistance.

I think i found an acceptable combo. evade +1, evasion up and crit draw. though i can also add drag res with a 2 slot weapon

The only problem with that is that you can't rank-up any low-rank sets until you start beating high-rank versions of the same monster. Meanwhile, your Rathian / Rathalos / Lagia / Diablos / Agnaktor / Uragaan set has worse defense than Leather+ (provided you don't catch a fireball). The Jhen set can come close, but still has less def.

What more, the Leather+ set has a ridiculous number of open decoration slots, as do the other starter high-rank sets.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    yea but HR rathian is in the first set of high rank quests you get when you reach HR. so as long as you are smart about taking her on and have a good crew you can easily upgrade. I don't think any of the LR stuff has anything crazy hard to get for the upgrade. mostly carapaces I think.

I am not disagreeing with you in the fact that leather + is easy to get by just killing some kelbi, i am just saying if you have a HR crew, you might as well upgrade that rath armor first.

I am actually dissapointed in how hard it is to upgrade jhen armor. stupid f'in conquerers seals.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcasArcas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hunter+ is a good set to use early HR. It's got decent defense, autotracker, evade +1, and a good number of slots. You have to fight G. Jaggi to make it but he isn't hard.

Arcas on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, guys. Looks like some server maintenance is planned for tonight.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster_hunter/blog/2010/08/25/monster_hunter_tri_server_maintenance_tonight

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    1) that comic is depressing. now i'm sad. (depression makes me a saaaaaaaad panda)
    2) i hope they actually make noticeable changes. if i don't notice anything, ima be ticked off. i don't know whats wrong with tuesday. start at 12, work 6 hours longer than usual. the people in the maintenance group don't have any lives, so, its all good. jk. no offense

SLZMatrix on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    maybe now me an you can join the same room

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    that would be cool. i know this guy IRL that plays. we can only connect when there`s a third person. perhaps we`ll be able to connect without an annoying third wheel.

SLZMatrix on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I seriously doubt this is going to be any kind of major overhaul, just some extra-thorough maintainance.

And even if they did make MASSIVE CHANGES, it would only fix problems server-side, and most of your problems appear to be the fault of your router, SLZM.

YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT YOUR FAULT

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually did a Jho quest last night. Have to say it was probably one of my favorite fights. it was intense but you still got frequent breathers since he goes all over teh place.

Cool little occurance, he is ready to capture and so two people drop their traps. of course ike any good monster this means Jho takes off. of course no one has any more traps at this point. so what do we do. Dung bomb herding. we shuffled Jho through 3 areas back to the original one with the traps and then successfully trapped him there all without losing one of the two traps that were first place.

And i love my build now. Evade distance, evasion +1 and crit draw. its awesome.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I've made a ninja skill set with Evade+2, Evade Inc. and Stealth (also fire res and cold res.) It's really fun, and gives me a tonne of time to heal and sharpen if there are 4 people in the zone.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    SilentRoughWaterSilentRoughWater Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just wanted to tell the people I play with on a semi-regular basis (mts and Mizuumi) that I'm going to be off the monster huntings for a bit more than a week starting 08/28. I'll be in the hinterlands of northern Michigan hopefully not encountering monsters of any sort.

SilentRoughWater on
    sig.php?user=BrokenBrik

Wii U NNID: TJandSam Steam: BrokenBrik
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i have actually been puttering around the recruitment server as of late since its hard to get people together on minegarde and i have been trying to get some specific mats.

still need alatreon though

mts on
    camo_sig.png