As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game industry thread: this one's done.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    An interesting thing I noticed while reading the news on IPhone jailbreaking.
    In addition to jailbreaking, other exemptions announced Monday would:

• allow owners of used cell phones to break access controls on their phones in order to switch wireless carriers.
    • allow people to break technical protections on video games to investigate or correct security flaws.
    • allow college professors, film students, documentary filmmakers and producers of noncommercial videos to break copy-protection measures on DVDs so they can embed clips for educational purposes, criticism or commentary.
    • allow computer owners to bypass the need for external security devices called dongles if the dongle no longer works and cannot be replaced.
    • allow blind people to break locks on electronic books so that they can use them with read-aloud software and similar aides.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100726/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_digital_copyright

This will certainly make the relationships between developers/publishers and their customers more complicated.

I hardly see how. I don't think there's been a history of publishers suing customers for breaking technical protections. And it's not like the law says that it's illegal for publishers to apply those protections in the first place. So everyone stays the course.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't think of a single classier video game company than Valve. They really are the best.

Pffffffhahahahaha

Maybe if you're not a console gamer

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And the fact that he's all excited about delving into the mommy issues of all the characters AGAIN after doing the same thing in the PS2 version isn't worthy of snark because...?

Also Midnight Club doesn't involve the Yakuza and other gangs near as I can tell. GTA does.

From what I can tell from Gamespot's summary, he isn't 'all excited' about delving into their mommy issues, their backstories will just be given in live action cutscenes during the story mode. I'm not sure what the fuck your big deal about that is, most of the people that played Black (the PS2 version) probably won't be buying the game for its single player.

And yes because we all know if a game has gangs, it's clearly a GTA ripoff.

The fact remains that he's still bothering to delve into their mommy issues in great detail despite the fact that he's done it before and no one really cares. (If people didn't buy Black for single-player, then why the hell would they buy this for single-player?)

Man what

The back stories and stuff in Twisted Metal Black were pretty awesome

And single-player was fun as hell

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't think of a single classier video game company than Valve. They really are the best.

Pffffffhahahahaha

Maybe if you're not a console gamer

Didn't they put Steamworks in Portal 2 PS3 so they could put out free updates which Microsoft wouldn't let 'em do on the Xbox?

That's pretty classy.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, after they spent roughly four years bashing the PS3 and calling it a piece of shit

And I feel sorry for the poor bastards that would attempt to play TF2 nowadays on their 360

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Did they really insult the PS3? All I've seen related to the PS3 from them has been Gabe Newell stating that they just didn't have the manpower to make two ports for their games.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    Did they really insult the PS3? All I've seen related to the PS3 from them has been Gabe Newell stating that they just didn't have the manpower to make two ports for their games.
    According to Newell, "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, Nintendo Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

Plus when Steam was finally made available for Mac, they put out a statement that said something along the lines of "We now look at the Mac as a premier gaming platform, along with the personal computer and Xbox 360."

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, those comments don't seem like the kind of thing the owner of a game development company should be flinging to the media.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    According to Newell, "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, Nintendo Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

Plus when Steam was finally made available for Mac, they put out a statement that said something along the lines of "We now look at the Mac as a premier gaming platform, along with the personal computer and Xbox 360."

Oh c'mon, that doesn't imply that those are the only premier gaming platforms.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OK, those comments don't seem like the kind of thing the owner of a game development company should be flinging to the media.

Why exactly? I think it's important that some things do get said. Considering how hard of a push the PS3 was, his comments weren't wrong. It's a pain in the ass to develop for and it created an arbitrary new disc format.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I mean, if anything I'm glad that Valve is pretty much everywhere now except for the Wii, and hopefully Newell has learned the importance of not burning bridges, especially when you have such a high position in the industry

But I still wouldn't call that classy at the end of the day

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

Why exactly? I think it's important that some things do get said. Considering how hard of a push the PS3 was, his comments weren't wrong. It's a pain in the ass to develop for and it created an arbitrary new disc format.

Well, he should've only been presenting his own opinion. And not trying to diss another company on the behalf of the entire video game industry. I mean, we're trying to decide who's classiest. That was not classy.

Still, Valve rules.

Muddy Water on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well, he should've only been presenting his own opinion. And not trying to diss another company on the behalf of the entire video game industry. I mean, we're trying to decide who's classiest. That was not classy.

Still, Valve rules.

Well in the context of classy, okay yeah you guys are right.

Really though, I think he said what everyone else was thinking. The thing is, if people don't stand up to stupid bullshit in the business - and when I say 'stand up to' I don't mean behind-closed-doors business decisions, I mean public statements or interviews - it enables the companies that do the stupid bullshit to continue.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In the interests for fairness, he was pretty much right at the point of time he made that statement.

Sony has made great strides, and now the PS3 is only a disaster in the financial sense.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    In the interests for fairness, he was pretty much right at the point of time he made that statement.

Sony has made great strides, and now the PS3 is only a disaster in the financial sense.

Right. And I've said it before and I'll say it yet again, Sony got lucky this gen.

My worry is that they're gonna pull bullshit on this level next console gen. And that they're gonna get away with it. Super expensive console, arbitrary new format, difficulty in developing for them. People should've walked away from them.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't think they'd abandon Blu-ray just yet

I'd be surprised if the next iteration of the Xbox didn't have Blu-ray

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, Blu-ray is cheap now. I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation Wii uses it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In that case I think it's pretty hard to shit on Sony for doing it

They took a gamble, it paid off, now we have a better format that will eventually be the standard

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In that case I think it's pretty hard to shit on Sony for doing it

They took a gamble, it paid off, now we have a better format that will eventually be the standard

Well, it's cheap now. When the PS3 first came out, it singlehandedly caused the stupid launch price that took the Playstation brand's momentum from "runaway freight train" to "asthmatic chihuahua."

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So they should have just waited for someone else to create a new industry standard?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Your statement assumes there was a huge need for a new industry standard at that point.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So they should have just waited for someone else to create a new industry standard?

The new standard already existed, they needed to just hang back and wait for the digital revolution which is already marginalizing their standard.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There is a huge need

The need being that DVDs running at 480i on HDTVs look like poopy

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The new standard already existed, they needed to just hang back and wait for the digital revolution which is already marginalizing their standard.

I'm gonna assume you're talking about instant streaming, since digitally downloading movies is still a long, long, LONG time from becoming the standard

In which case yeah, instant streaming is really nice, but there is still the matter that some people just A) really prefer having physical media and B) probably don't want that physical media to look like ass.

I'd like to see Blu-ray, Netflix and Hulu all coexist peacefully, really

DVD needs to fuck off and die essentially

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There wasn't a need for a new format. People had just come around to DVD and all this hi-def shit started.

As a nerd, DVD is more than fine with me. It does everything I could expect it to. If the only thing a new format is gonna bring me is a sharper image (which you need a quality TV to see), I'll pass on it for a while.

Blu-Ray paid off for Sony in that it has picked up and might become standard, but financially it's probably a disaster.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sure, once Blu-ray movies stop being 10-15 bucks more expensive than DVDs, then maybe it can start to get rid of DVDs. That extra chunk of change has kept me from buying plenty of BR movies simply because most movies don't really have any need for HD viewing. Not to mention I haven't bothered with the extra expense of putting BR on my computers so the only place I can watch my Blu-ray stuff is with my Blu-ray player.

So it's still a disaster in the only business sense which really matters? What are we supposed to do, congratulate Sony for finally getting over most of their horrible ideas and reaching the bare minimum of "acceptable"?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Messages are OK. They just don't make up for the absence of good game design, something World of Goo perfectly exhibits. Lots of modern art has messages, but it's still not as pleasant to look at or as technically brilliant as anything by Andrew Wyeth, and the message doesn't compensate for that.
    Interesting position. I believe if this is the path that gaming holds to, games will never reach the thematic or artistic depths it's capable of. Guernica is not pleasant to look at. Technically, Guernica looks like something a school principal would show the kid's parents as proof their son is going to shoot up his art class someday. Maybe that means GTA is closer to Picasso than Wyeth, and therefore more artistically relevant than Passage.

People have made the argument that Wyeth's stuff is formulaic, populist and sentimental, which sounds like most video games in a nutshell to me, so I guess the comparison is apt. I have no opinion on his work, but you might want to steer clear of any argument that could indirectly imply that Wyeth is in ANY WAY superior to Goya, except maybe the timid assertion that you get warm fuzzy feelings from Wyeth's work whereas Saturn Devouring His Son makes you nauseous with abject, primal fear and you would rather not have vomit on your shoes. Because if we're talking about cultural and artistic relevance, I hope I live to see the day a game can make me react that way, "solid gameplay" be damned.

So I guess the question that must be asked is: What exactly is it you think modern art is trying to compensate for? Because if your answer is "not looking pretty 'nuff", then I have a feeling we occupy distant extremities regarding this art game debate.

NOTE: I'm sorry this has nothing to do with Starcraft. Insert Zerg joke here.

Why do you assume I don't like looking at Guernica or Saturn Devouring His Son (horror and disgust bring us closer to our mortality, which is an addicting and rewarding sensation)? Furthermore, I think Guernica is strongly composed and technically fascinating, and certainly not message-focused (fucking civilians up is bad and is a horrifying spectacle? Intriguing!). It's just that in so much modern art, the piece (if I am lucky enough to be in front of something I can still envelop in that term, instead of having to call it a "phenomenon") is just there, and all the reactions and thoughts are things I have to concoct on my own, consciously and laboriously, while the artist has just fired off a shotgun at some paint cans in front of a canvas! In that case, the art is just a small springboard into a stream of consciousness all of my own making. In the case of Saturn..., Guernica and the works of Wyeth, I can't escape into my own thoughts, and I appreciate that.

I only support attempts to present players with thematic depths as long as the actual playing is enjoyable and engrossing (because games are played) - take Limbo for example. I see those puzzles as excuses for not turning the game into a long flash movie instead - the playing and the emotions evoked by looking at the events and (beautiful and eerie) backgrounds on the screen have minimal synergy, so why use a game to present the player with whatever it was you wanted to present? To get more sales and get a larger audience? I can understand that at least. I'd wager that if you took the same human being, copied his mind into an identical clone of his and then let one clone watch Limbo being played (by a skilled player that kept the game length to a few hours) and let the other play it through, the two would bear their respective experiences very similarly. Same thing with Edmund, that "controversial" and "deeply upsetting" little nugget of garbage.

To me, lots of games that have the kind of ambitions you want them to have (I don't think your preference here is dumb) just fancy gamemaking and also staple some messaging to it, as if that can make up for the poor playing experience.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Sure, once Blu-ray movies stop being 10-15 bucks more expensive than DVDs, then maybe it can start to get rid of DVDs. That extra chunk of change has kept me from buying plenty of BR movies simply because most movies don't really have any need for HD viewing. Not to mention I haven't bothered with the extra expense of putting BR on my computers so the only place I can watch my Blu-ray stuff is with my Blu-ray player.

So it's still a disaster in the only business sense which really matters? What are we supposed to do, congratulate Sony for finally getting over most of their horrible ideas and reaching the bare minimum of "acceptable"?

I think his tongue was firmly implanted in his cheek.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Isn't there anything else going on aside from Starcraft and our oft-repeated "did Sony screw up" argument?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Isn't there anything else going on aside from Starcraft and our oft-repeated "did Sony screw up" argument?

Well I guess there's this:

http://geimin.net/da/expense.php

Average Development Cost of Non-Budget Titles in Japan (2009)

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kind of makes you wonder if we'll see a lot of 3DS games that are pretty much just DS games in terms of tech and production values, like with the Gamecube and Wii. That low development cost must be hard to let go of.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    What's with the half-mil increase in PS3 over 360 games?

Henroid on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

Do you have the average return? I feel like that statistic may not reflect the total cost per year though (SG&A, PP&E, Talent on more than one project etc.) still interesting.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    For starcraft2, I'd be curious to be how the two "expansions" will sell. I have a feeling that people won't be switching over unless they offer a much cheaper payment option to get the multiplayer additions and changes.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited July 2010

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

If they're non-budget titles, then those numbers seem reeeeeeally low. Like the decimal point is one number too far to the left. Maybe there was a problem in translating from Moon Units to Ameribux?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    For starcraft2, I'd be curious to be how the two "expansions" will sell. I have a feeling that people won't be switching over unless they offer a much cheaper payment option to get the multiplayer additions and changes.

Just a few minutes ago I was thinking about this and was wondering if they're going to offer discounted prices if you already own one of the installments. That would be pretty sweet of them. If you're buying an installment without owning any of the others, probably full price still.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That is literally the extent of the data I have, straight from GAF. Henroid wanted to know if any other news was present!

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

If they're non-budget titles, then those numbers seem reeeeeeally low. Like the decimal point is one number too far to the left. Maybe there was a problem in translating from Moon Units to Ameribux?

You're saying that $2,880,000 on average for game development is low?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That is literally the extent of the data I have, straight from GAF. Henroid wanted to know if any other news was present!

It's laundry / Starcraft 2 day, I'm starved for conversation. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

You're saying that $2,880,000 on average for game development is low?

Yes. 2.8M dollars is chump change for a PS3 game. We hear Capcom and Ubi talking about dropping $20 million on individual HD games all the time like it's nothing. And Wii devs talk about spending 8 to 10 million on those games.

There's definitely something off with this list.

slash000 on