As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video game industry thread: this one's done.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Kind of makes you wonder if we'll see a lot of 3DS games that are pretty much just DS games in terms of tech and production values, like with the Gamecube and Wii. That low development cost must be hard to let go of.

I don't know, it doesn't look like PSP development values are that much higher, and they have reasonably better assets

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    For starcraft2, I'd be curious to be how the two "expansions" will sell. I have a feeling that people won't be switching over unless they offer a much cheaper payment option to get the multiplayer additions and changes.

You mean like brood war for Starcraft? Or WoW's expansions?

edit: oh I see you posted the same thing on the starcraft thread. Anyway I'm positive all the SC2 expansions will be full price, and everyone will buy them. Multiplayer people especially.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Isn't there anything else going on aside from Starcraft and our oft-repeated "did Sony screw up" argument?

Well I guess there's this:

http://geimin.net/da/expense.php

Average Development Cost of Non-Budget Titles in Japan (2009)

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

If they're non-budget titles, then those numbers seem reeeeeeally low. Like the decimal point is one number too far to the left. Maybe there was a problem in translating from Moon Units to Ameribux?

You're saying that $2,880,000 on average for game development is low?

Yes. 2.8M dollars is chump change for a PS3 game. We hear Capcom and Ubi talking about dropping $20 million on individual HD games all the time like it's nothing. And Wii devs talk about spending 8 to 10 million on those games.

There's definitely something off with this list.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m

Random article from a Google search says the average development cost for a multiplatform game is $18-28M.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isn't there anything else going on aside from Starcraft and our oft-repeated "did Sony screw up" argument?

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

If they're non-budget titles, then those numbers seem reeeeeeally low. Like the decimal point is one number too far to the left. Maybe there was a problem in translating from Moon Units to Ameribux?

Yes. 2.8M dollars is chump change for a PS3 game. We hear Capcom and Ubi talking about dropping $20 million on individual HD games all the time like it's nothing. And Wii devs talk about spending 8 to 10 million on those games.

ministerreaction.jpg

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    alset85 wrote: »
    For starcraft2, I'd be curious to be how the two "expansions" will sell. I have a feeling that people won't be switching over unless they offer a much cheaper payment option to get the multiplayer additions and changes.

I don't know all of the details of how the expansions work, but I can see some people who really don't care to play X race telling themselves, "eh, I don't really feel like buying an entire campaign dedicated to the Zerg/Protoss," (edit) if not "WHAT I have to pay more to play the FULL GAME!?" (Whether or not SCII is a full game, I don't want to get into that argument.)

It's a weird way of handling things.

Darlan on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now you know why so many development houses have been spinning the Wheel O' Layoffs.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember when Capcom was like, "dudes we're spending 20 million dollars to make lost planet. and then twenty million to market it."

And the whole industry was like 'omgwtf thats sooooo much money'

Now it's like.. Eh? Only 40 million? Puh-leeeease.

slash000 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I don't know all of the details of how the expansions work, but I can see some people who really don't care to play X race telling themselves, "eh, I don't really feel like buying an entire campaign dedicated to the Zerg."

Well, chances are that there will be new multiplayer units, making the expansions mandatory if you want to have a full army at your disposal.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

I don't know all of the details of how the expansions work, but I can see some people who really don't care to play X race telling themselves, "eh, I don't really feel like buying an entire campaign dedicated to the Zerg."

Well, chances are that there will be new multiplayer units, making the expansions mandatory if you want to have a full army at your disposal.

Yep.

And you have to remember that Blizzard is owned by Activision now, and the CEO of that company is on record for being incredibly money-grubbing and anti-games in general. He'll make sure the game is milked to the hilt.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I remember when Capcom was like, "dudes we're spending 20 million dollars to make lost planet. and then twenty million to market it."

And the whole industry was like 'omgwtf thats sooooo much money'

Now it's like.. Eh? Only 40 million? Puh-leeeease.

The shock there was probably "What did they spend 40 million on and its going to take more than 20 million to make people buy this thing"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

PS3 - $2.88m (16 games)
    360 - $2.39m (16 games)
    WII - $1.34m (40 games)
    PSP - $681K (56 games)
    NDS - $505K (137 games)

Yeah, there is no way those numbers on the website are in units of 10,000 unless Playstation games cost only $56,000 US to make in 2003. (That would be basically 1 guy making a game in a year).

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2010

The problem with that is that we die-hard single player folk who actually give a shit about Jim's relationship with his mutant Zerg girlfriend and whatnot will be deprived of using the new units in the single player campaign. I wanna play with new human units!
    :winky:

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I wish it was only 2.8m, breakeven point would be fabulously low. Would be one hell of an investment in that case.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I said this in the Starcraft 2 (singleplayer) thread, but I don't think Blizzard is going to require each expansion to have access to the new units they'd bring. It'd complicate the shit out of battle.net, and segmenting the playerbase that much would be so goddamn silly.

I'm expecting the new units to come patched into multiplayer, and each expansion will be pretty much a "pay for the single player experience." Again, also predicting that after owning one of the installments you can buy the other two for cheaper.

Edit - Also in the latest Blizzcast they mentioned that aside from new units and the campaigns, each expansion (and patches) would bring actual new features to the game. But no elaborations on what those could be.

Henroid on
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I said this in the Starcraft 2 (singleplayer) thread, but I don't think Blizzard is going to require each expansion to have access to the new units they'd bring. It'd complicate the shit out of battle.net, and segmenting the playerbase that much would be so goddamn silly.

I'm expecting the new units to come patched into multiplayer, and each expansion will be pretty much a "pay for the single player experience." Again, also predicting that after owning one of the installments you can buy the other two for cheaper.

I have a very very strong reason to believe that is not the case.

Expect each expansion to function similarly to Brood War.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    http://www.develop-online.net/news/33625/Study-Average-dev-cost-as-high-as-28m

Random article from a Google search says the average development cost for a multiplatform game is $18-28M.
    Multiplatform titles are more likely to be AAA? Or rather - AAA games, in order to cover their budget, have to be multiplatform?

I know the original stats said "non-budget", but there's presumably a spectrum where games are neither AAA nor budget.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Erios wrote: »

Yeah, that's never gonna happen. They know that everyone's gonna buy the expansions anyway, so there's not going to be that much segmenting, and for those silly people who choose to segment themselves by not buying the expansions, too bad.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Expect each expansion to function similarly to Brood War.

I don't think they can afford to do that in this modern era of online play (when I say afford, I mean the customers are the currency at risk here).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Yeah, that's never gonna happen. They know that everyone's gonna buy the expansions anyway, so there's not going to be that much segmenting, and for those silly people who choose to segment themselves by not buying the expansions, too bad.

Diablo 2 segmented. Warcraft 3 segmented. Starcraft 2 *expansions* will segment.

They want you to pay 180 dollars for this game, period.

Derrick on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Derrick wrote: »

Diablo 2 segmented. Warcraft 3 segmented. Starcraft 2 *expansions* will segment.

They want you to pay 180 dollars for this game, period.

How many people actually playing the multiplayer in Diablo 2, Starcraft 1 and Warcraft 3 didn't buy the expansion? The amount of people who are segmented out of the latest version of the game will likely be significantly smaller than the amount of people who buy the expansions and play the latest version.

Also, just in case it's not clear, we seem to be in agreement here. They want you to buy all the expansions, and they'll accomplish that by having the expansions provide new units and whatnot to the game, just like their previous games have done.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So Capcom announced some financial plans.
    Major Japanese publishers are struggling with rising costs, exchange rate challenges and a steadily-shrinking software market. Publishers Sega, Tecmo Koei and Konami are making deep cuts to their SKU counts; now, after closing its fiscal 2009 with profits down 73 percent, Capcom is looking to its core properties for a turnaround.

Capcom's home to numerous enduring hit properties like Resident Evil and Street Fighter, and the company has said it expects this year's new entries into its Marvel vs. Capcom, Lost Planet and Monster Hunter Freedom franchises to each reach 2 million units and up.

But the publisher hopes more Western production will help it annualize those key properties better, allowing for more top-property releases in a given year.

That's according to a Nikkei report translated by Andriasang, in which Capcom states its aim to increase output of major franchise titles from the current two titles per year to the arena of three to four titles per year.

When it comes to fighting franchise Street Fighter, arguably the genre's most beloved and one of gaming's most iconic brands overall, that strategy is already evident: during Comic Con last week, Capcom announced major crossover title Street Fighter X Tekken and arcade remake Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition within days of each other.

According to the report, Capcom plans to offset the cost of the large development teams required for major franchise installments by relying on outsourcing to North American studios, banking on external resources and development methodologies to speed up development times.

It estimates that titles that would have previously taken four years can be created in two to three years with this approach, which means long waits for games like Lost Planet 2 -- whose delay was cited as causing harm to the publisher's last fiscal year -- can be avoided.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29610/Report_Capcom_To_Fight_Flagging_Sales_With_More_Franchise_Releases_Western_Outsourcing.php

Let's hope they've finally figured out how to get decent games out of their western partners.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you sure Capcom? Really? Are you sure? Because Square Enix is making Strider Rearmed, er, Necromachina.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Actually, have there been ANY western-developed Capcom games within the last few years that weren't poop?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe Blizzard will release some crazy turn-based version of multiplayer with their next release. Something that wouldn't fly for their competitive community but that might reach a different audience.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually, have there been ANY western-developed Capcom games within the last few years that weren't poop?

Bionic Commando Rearmed was the final one. After that there was the console BC and Dark Void, and Capcom threw in the towel.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maybe Blizzard will release some crazy turn-based version of multiplayer with their next release. Something that wouldn't fly for their competitive community but that might reach a different audience.
    Something like that would be nice to see. Almost every Starcraft II article you see has tons of people talking about how much they got their ass kicked in the beta, and how "hardcore" you have to be to squeeze enjoyment out of the multiplayer.

I might even pick up one of the expansions if it comes with a robust co-op campaign that is more than just a multiplayer match against the CPU.

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Almost every Starcraft II article you see has tons of people talking about how much they got their ass kicked in the beta, and how "hardcore" you have to be to squeeze enjoyment out of the multiplayer.

That was a common criticism of WC3 as well, and pretty apt I think.

There's also this to consider:

http://www.blizzardbeta.com/259/the-problem-with-starcraft-2/

12 years later some features should be standard I would think. I mean, no replay? That was one of my favorite things about WC3 :-/ . Why is Blizzard going backwards all the sudden?

Derrick on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aside from those bizarrely low costs, PS3 development has always been more costly. Dealing with the goofy Cell processor has been a thorn in the side of developers for the entire life of the PS3.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There are replays in StarCraft 2.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The problem is how they had the replay function worked for them. Each time a new patch came out modifying game balance, past replays became unwatchable. Axing that function for the time being isn't a big deal. I'm sure one of the expansions will bring it in as a feature.

Blame Activision or whatever. <_<

Edit - Are there now reVerse?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Wait, they got rid of the replays for the retail game?

reVerse on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "More than likely, the successive products will add multiplayer content; we haven't decided right now what that is." That brought up the question as to how multiplayer would work if some players only buy the first game while others only buy the second or third games. [Pardo] said that they haven't made any determinations yet as to how that would work.

Splintering the multiplayer between versions sounds pretty likely.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    It seems likely because they haven't decided what to do with things yet?

Henroid on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There have been online patches before which allow you to play against people with expansions, but not use those features yourself. So there could be cross-compatibility, just some players have reduced options.

Seol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Seol wrote: »
    There have been online patches before which allow you to play against people with expansions, but not use those features yourself. So there could be cross-compatibility, just some players have reduced options.

That's a level of imbalance that Blizzard isn't going to fuck around with, I think.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

At which point you might just as well buy the expansion because non-expansion Terran doesn't stand a chance against Protoss Cyclops tech rush.

reVerse on
  • Options
    alset85alset85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Well Relic's games do that, but I can't see Blizzard do anything like that since they won't add any new races/factions in multiplayer.

alset85 on
    override said: I can't wait until Toady causes pressurized water to be able to actually damage things. I want to hit goblins with a shit cannon of such pressure that the meat is ripped from their bones

Steam ID
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    They have two clear solutions to a complicated situation, either giving everyone with old versions the new content or splintering the player populations to encourage more sales.

Call me a cynic, but I bet they prefer more money over less money.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Typically, whenever someone gives a non-answer answer, such as "We're still considering all possibilities, and have made no decisions yet." it almost always really means, "We've made the decision you won't like but aren't going to tell you about because we're not stupid. Seriously, come on with that."

a puddle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    They have two clear solutions to a complicated situation, either giving everyone with old versions the new content or splintering the player populations to encourage more sales.

Call me a cynic, but I bet they prefer more money over less money.

The thing is, they've stated clearly in the latest Blizzcast that patches and expansions will bring new features, beyond the new units thing. So new units / abilities in the game itself doesn't have to be the expansion incentive anymore.

I'm just offering up a possibility is all.

Henroid on