As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd be okay with you taking it. If nothing else, it'll let you hive off portions of the empire more easily in prep for the next stage.

Elvenshae on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's room for one more person. Need the new game to enliven interest, I think.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'll have another go if needed, but I'm not sure how to deal with an empire that large to be honest :) I'll be a lot more comfortable once we hit EU3

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's a good thing though! We don't want to be very big for EU3 to give it some challenge

Phyphor on
    edited October 2010
    If I'm playing it, I'll be... restructuring things slightly.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    I'll have another go if needed, but I'm not sure how to deal with an empire that large to be honest :) I'll be a lot more comfortable once we hit EU3

Go for it!!!

Elvenshae on
    edited October 2010
    Take it, Zedar.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Okay, I'll try to get an update in before the weekend. End date is the start of 1399? Not likely I'll hit it in my turn, but theres always the outside chance.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Technically I think EU3's default is like October 1399, but yeah.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Okay, I've got the save, everything seems to be working fine. Brief state of the union is below, with map pictures for those who are into that.
    Our glorious king
    sotu1.jpg

And the world in general:
    sotu2.jpg
    sotu3.jpg
    sotu4.jpg
    sotu5.jpg

We still have a lot of land all over the place, and Michael only has one child, so splitting the realm is going to require a lot of procreation :) At the moment this five year old son is all that stands between a reunification of Egypt and Burgundy.

Before I get too involved, I'm a bit vague on the mechanics of creating kingdoms. If I create, say, a king of Leon, will he automatically get all the related duchies as vassals, or am I going to need to manually give him those titles beforehand to hand out as he sees fit? I notice that our king of Castille is missing a lot of land that should logically be his.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    All the Duchies currently loyal to you when you make the King appointment should go to him. I think.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Sort of, when I tried it it didn't seem to work so well. I think only duchies and counties with capitals in the kingdom you're giving away will actually switch

Phyphor on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Seems that we're getting close to the end of CK. I think the general interest will pick up when EU comes into play, seeing how more people have played it and might be more willing to pick up the turns.

Rhan9 on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been waiting the whole thread for EU3, so I'll defineately be able tp join in.

The Fourth Estate on
    edited October 2010
    This should be the last non-me CK reign.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    I'm still not sure how we're going to be able to not grow to eat all of Europe at minimum by the end of EU3 though

Phyphor on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I'm still not sure how we're going to be able to not grow to eat all of Europe at minimum by the end of EU3 though

If you get an idiot for a king, you RP as an idiot?

schuss on
  • The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Heavy modding?

The Fourth Estate on
    edited October 2010

Heavy modding?

There will be some badboy limits, yes.

enlightenedbum on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Heavy modding?

You'll probably have to make it something ridiculously low. Like 10. Or 5. Anything else and we're gonna stomp our way through Europe.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited October 2010
    Actually the basic limits with the restriction of never exceeding them would be fine. The badboy wars aren't all that bad once you have a bit of territory, although I guess the difficulty of BB wars would depend on if we border a major power and/or do HRE shenanigans.

Phyphor on
  • HellvinkHellvink Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I come all the way from the paradox forums, just to say, that we are all very very VERY proud of you. :')

But.

Why Burgundy of all things? It's COA is just so ugly..

Hellvink on
    edited October 2010
    Hellvink wrote: »
    I come all the way from the paradox forums, just to say, that we are all very very VERY proud of you. :')

But.

It was a historical accident!

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »

Heavy modding?

You'll probably have to make it something ridiculously low. Like 10. Or 5. Anything else and we're gonna stomp our way through Europe.

My instinct is like... 12. Possibly 10.

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Hellvink wrote: »

But.

That happened on my turn, and basically the realm was collapsing, and there was a ridiculous chance to snag the Burgundian crown and a bunch of their holdings quickly, which stabilized the situation. I tried to get the French crown earlier, but the little bastards kept fleeing further and further from me with every conquest I made, and when they relocated to Spain I couldn't follow any longer. At least that's what I think happened, it's been a while.

Also, the red color is better since there were the Swedes and the French and whatnot in the area, so it was easier to distinguish holdings without jumping between viewing modes. But yeah, it was pretty much an aberration.

Rhan9 on
    edited October 2010
    Update coming?

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    Sorry, weekend was busier than I anticipated. I'll get an update in tonight hopefully.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Over The MoonOver The Moon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys, I've been following for a while and I was interested in playing when you guys hit EU3. I see you guys claim turns, but I'm not sure what to do. I just wanted to express my interest in playing when the EU3 leg rolls around.

Over The Moon on
    edited October 2010
    Sometime around when I post the mod I'll allow for signups.

enlightenedbum on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm personally interested in how the EU3 game plays out. I don't have EU3, but I'm interested from all the LP's I've read - just not sure if I'm ready yet. Reading the LP here will add more knowledge before I decide to purchase the game, I guess. :)

Reboot on
    edited October 2010
    Michael, King of Burgundy, Part One (1367-1373)
    Now that the burden of the crown has fallen to us, we must needs let others care for our children so that we do not neglect our new duties.
    1.jpg

Our reign starts auspiciously, with our vassals showing appreciation for our just and fair rule, and others wishing petitioning to share in the prosperity.
    2.jpg
    3.jpg

Unfortunately some of our new subjects clearly see us as an easy target, now that our father no longer reigns. They raise bloody rebellion against their rightful liege.
    4.jpg

The realm tetters on the brink of civil war. Why had my fathers loyal subjects turned against me, his son and heir, their rightful king? I, who only sought the best interest of the realm. I begin to suspect that the Lord is testing me. I will strive to meet this challenge.
    (Incidentally, I got a lot of independence notification without any information about who was seceeding, so I'm not entirely sure what land I lost in this process)

Our increasingly disloyal vassals have the temerity to demand changes in the succession laws, as if to say they do not consider house Vermadois worthy of the throne!
    5.jpg

Alas this constant warfare and struggle for supremacy has left our reputation in tatters. His eminence the Pope somehow disapproves of our efforts to retain our birthright. In the end, we make the difficult decision that God's favour far outweighs martial glory, and for the nonce we let unruly vassals depart peacefully, such that we might win Papal favour and regain the imperial title which has yet been denied us. If we were to regain imperial status, perhaps our former vassals will see the error of their ways.
    6.jpg

We lose the greater part of Sicily to this villainy, and even our own blood turns against us, declaring an indepdendent Duchy of Damascus. We fear that with all the struggle around our Burgundian homeland, waging war to retain such distant holdings must needs wait for a more opportune time.
    7.jpg

A tragedy at home, as our beloved wife loses a child.
    8.jpg

We regain papal favor to an extent, and this appears to work in our favour as once again lords beg to be part of mighty Burgundy.
    9.jpg

Peace is short lived. A civil war to put all previous disturbances in the shade soon emerges, with Aquitaine, Galicia and Champagne all abrogating the pledges of fealty and bringing upon their heads our righteous wrath.
    11.jpg
    12.jpg
    14.jpg
    15.jpg
    16.jpg

After the loss of our unborn child earlier, more effort must be made to ensure the continuation of the dynasty.
    17.jpg

Our wayward vassals are brought back into line one by one, but our misfortune never lets up. We begin to feel like Job, a rightout man perpetually tested by a seemingly unjust world.
    18.jpg
    19.jpg
    20.jpg
    21.jpg

So much struggle, and we are once again in disfavour with the Pope. Our realm crumbles as we try to keep God's peace, but war is still perpetually thrust upon us, and still we are denied our imperial heritage.

If the realm keeps falling apart at this rate, we won't even need to split it up at the end. Not sure why everyone hates Michael so, but we've lost a large portion of our eastern holdings by now.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    We still have a bit too much of France, but Aquitaine bailing is good news. :P

26 years to reduce ourselves to the areas around Paris!

enlightenedbum on
    edited October 2010
    And it all comes crashing down.

Rhan9 on
    edited October 2010
    No I took aquitaine back unfortunately :) We did lose Galicia though.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You had almost the exact same duchies turn on you. Galacia came back into the fold but I had an insane prestige score when it happened towards the end of the Ducal War. Fortunately they might join up with the Kingdom of Leon. I actually hope Damascus (your Great-Uncle if I remember correctly) does well. His holdings far exceed anything the Crusaders pulled off. The world will likely be a better safer place. In fact, as long as no catastrophe hits them, they might make a worthy opponent come Vicky II (a Christian civilized middle east with access to the Suez if Egypt and Damascus re-unite).

starkiller on
    edited October 2010
    Galicia actually declared independence via a war, was brought back into the fold, and then declared independence without a war later on, so they just seem determined to leave. Is there any way to actually tell who is leaving in those "A vassal has declared independence" messages? I've had heaps of them, and I'm not even sure what I've lost apart from what I've noticed on the map.

We have shamefully actually lost the duchy of burgundy at the moment, I will probably make a point of reclaiming that one.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Galicia actually declared independence via a war, was brought back into the fold, and then declared independence without a war later on, so they just seem determined to leave. Is there any way to actually tell who is leaving in those "A vassal has declared independence" messages? I've had heaps of them, and I'm not even sure what I've lost apart from what I've noticed on the map.

It took me awhile to figure this out, but yes.

Make sure the game is paused, and look in the message log history. When a vassal declares independence, your ruler gains a claim on all of their personal holdings.

So, you can flip back through the message log, and you'll see something like:

Centule King of Burgundy has a claim on Duke of Galicia
    Centule King of Burgundy has a claim on Count of Blah
    Centule King of Burgundy has a claim on Count of Bleh
    Centule King of Burgundy has a claim on Count of Blih

So, you know it was the Duke of Galicia who declared independence. You don't get a claim on any of their vassals, who automatically go with them.

Elvenshae on
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, trouble is I think we already have claims on pretty much all our vassals from previous civil wars :) So I could do that in some cases, but not all.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, trouble is I think we already have claims on pretty much all our vassals from previous civil wars :) So I could do that in some cases, but not all.

You still get the message, I think. Just like you can gain the same trait multiple times, even though it doesn't stack.

EDIT: Like, when forcing a rebellious Duke back into the fold, I usually recognize his count titles first, and only recognize his Ducal titles if I have to. I still got the "Claim on Duke of X" messages each time.

I could be misremembering, though.

Elvenshae on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't recall seeing that message if you already have a previous claim.

Reboot on