As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Huh, switching tags apparently causes you to lose every provincial decision in every province

• Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    Is it just you and the Ottomans?

• Options
    No Ottomans in the mod. That's Byzantium. They're definitely in second, but they have a yearly income of 4k, 70 provinces and 200k troops to my 27k income, 630 provinces and 470k troops in 1723. I'm just working out how to finish the WC by grabbing everything. I think I have to start 50 years out and make use of my almost 10 diplomats / year for constant warring

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The Ottomans actually have 1 or 2 cores in some provinces in Anatolia, so it is hypothetically possible (although very unlikely) for them to spring up.

Also someone else testing had noted the loss of province modifiers 'sometime' around the tag switching. After I looked further I found that it's a bug from the latest patch; changing province ownership appears to remove previous province decisions (not just tag changes). So there's nothing I could correct about it. We could potentially circumvent it with a barrage of save game editing, but the way we're rolling it probably won't matter much if there's some income/manpower/trade fluctuations with our provinces. Although it would be best to try to switch sooner than later if we want to try to judge Victoria positions based on all sorts of EU3 information.

I also hope to have an updated patch for the next in line, but assorted stuff may push me back until early October.

President Rex on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I could release the Ottomans in this war, if we really wanted. I think there are a few Ottoman cores still in their possession.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The Reign of Jeanne I, Queen of Vermandois, 1610 - 1618: Relative Peace
    zxqnux.png

After ratification by Parliament, the School Establishment Act was passed on New Year's Day 1610. More and more Frankish citizens would get a decent education under the tutelage of the priests of the church.

(note: mild time warp because I apparently forgot to save; the only truly important thing that happened I had to restart, which saved us a small amount of infamy later on. Oops)

346qr8m.png

The first of the newly trained spies by the Frankish espionage agencies were set to work fomenting rebellion in Zenata's Egyptian provinces. Ideally the rebels would return the territory to Egyptian control, but anything to distract the Zenatan military and lure them into an easily cut off area.

vsdvf5.png

Frightening news from the east. The largest of the German states has been inherited by the Austrian Kings. Austria now nearly stretches from the Adriatic to the Baltic and has massive amounts of manpower.

2a5chk.png2wqrgwj.png

The size of the empire was making it increasingly difficult to govern. Slave uprisings were common in the colonies and citizens in Europe and Morocco demanded lowered taxes, threatening rebellion. Not wishing to distract from the war in the Holy Land, Jeanne chose to give in to the demands of her citizens.

25zowty.png

The rebellions begun by Frankish spies successfully lured a large majority of the Zenatan army into the Nile, where they were pinned down by Frankish troops under the command of Benoit Kreytz. The battle became a mass slaughter as over 10,000 Arabs were killed and the last of the Egyptian territories occupied.

2v0ldvd.png

Jeanne used the battle to force the Zenatan Empire to the bargaining table, demanding an end to their claims on various territories of the Kingdom of Jerusalem as well as the provinces of Nile and Diamientia, which she returned to Egypt and gave to Jerusalem, respectively.

22eyx4.png

Eastern Europe continued to consolidate, with the Kingdom of Lithuania coming under control of Bohemia. This puts Russia and Bohemia on a direct path towards war. Austria is sure to intervene, but on which side?

1492v0i.png

Jerusalem attempts to invade Egypt, just as rebellions among the Egyptians in Zenata create a border between the two Christian nations. Jeanne refuses to assist the invasion, as she has personally created one of the kingdoms and moved to stabilize the other and reclaim its ancestral lands. Without Frankish assistance, Jerusalem sues for and achieves a white peace mere days after declaring war. They refuse to sign a new alliance with Jeanne, but she decides to still guarantee the independence of her crusader state.

1585sp.png

With the general instability in Vermandois, relative peace and freedom in the colonies seemed appealing. Hundreds of families applied to move to the New World. Jeanne had them establish colonies in the jungles between her possessions in the south and the conquered Mayan Empire.

a2dyfs.pngmm7ok1.png

The lack of production in Nouveau Vermandois had made establishing a major trading center there maddening to Jeanne. So she decided to try again in the Mayan colony of Belize. This time the vast numbers and varieties of luxury goods were indeed valuable enough and late in her reign a trading port was built. It was to be the last major accomplishment of Queen Jeanne's reign. In November of 1618, she died, leaving her somewhat impatient 54 year old son Isaac to take the throne. Long live King Isaac II of Vermandois!

ortgts.png

Note the continued existence of Catalunya, we did not inherit it.

Jeanne had greatly expanded the colonial empire of the Franks, nearly doubling the size of Nouveau Vermandois and taking the entire isthmus between the two continents as well as some territory beyond that. She had established Jerusalem as fair sized power and beat back the first Zenatan counter attack. Egypt's lands had been restored to it, and while that country needed to end its decades long wars with Genoa and Makuria to truly stabilize, it was back on the right track. Her reign saw the Eastern Roman Empire reacquire much of Anatolia, and Naples conquer much of the Italian peninsula. Austria and Russia continued their rapid expansion. At home, Jeanne built hundreds of temples, courthouses, constabularies, customs houses, and marketplaces. She reformed and expanded the army, and began a systematic approach to training spies. She converted hundreds of thousands to Catholicism both in Europe and among the Mayans in the New World. The government became increasingly centralized and powerful. All in all, Jeanne had been a powerful Queen, if perhaps overly focused on the Holy Land, and less interested in re-claiming traditional Frankish possessions.

Charles doesn't have 7 admin either, so no Frankish Empire for a while. 8 military though! My major bit of advice would be to build some recruiting centers or somehow wrest away the HRE from the Austrians. Less than 100k manpower will not cut it against them. I built a few, but I love me infrastructure and started some manufacturies to improve our tech a bit. I think if you want to set up the Frankish Empire decision, you mostly need to annex Brittany and Dauphine and conquer Munster, which has returned to Dutch rule. I think we'd need one more Occitanian possession to pull that off.

Some state of the world stuff:

24ffhat.png

Brazil is a mess, Castille is the largest power, but lots of people have tried colonizing there.

2rcsu9c.png

As mentioned, Byzantium has been largely restored. Zenata beat back a tad. Also, if you look closely, there's a Russian/Byzantine war in the Crimea, which has changed hands a couple times.

15qw8ih.png

Naples had been doing such a nice job of uniting Italy, but then they attacked an Austrian ally (Parma, I think). Lost their northernmost two provinces (Verona and one other). And then Austria annexed Venice for shits and giggles. Also pictured, the Egyptian/Genoese War, which has had that as the status quo quite literally my entire turn. Egypt refuses to make peace, Genoa can't sail over to take some Egyptian home territories, so they remain in perpetual stalemate, with Egypt's war weariness being approximately a billion. Also also pictured, us. Brittany and Normandy are vassals, Catlunya is our subject nation, we're huge.

2ykf191.png

Egypt! Also Jerusalem. Makuria is winning this war currently, but usually some Egyptian Peasants will rise up, crush the Makurians long enough for Egypt to make a small military, which they use to crush the peasants and temporarily liberate Alexandria and then push down into the occupied territories only to have rebels re-take Alexandria and then the cycle begins anew. It's dumb. But they never break/make peace.

263zlso.png

Late in my reign Leon lost a war against Castille and Galicia, losing Lisbon and its Caribbean colony to the Galicians and Gibraltar and an African colony to Castille. Next war has a decent chance of removing them from Europe and relocating them to their African territories. Or perhaps Argentina.

2ngyj6g.png

Scandinavia has been in a state of near constant war with Norway attacking the minors and taking their land, only to have the British come in and re-release the minors and take some land for themselves. It's a mess. I wouldn't be shocked if the British end up with both Finland and Sweden though.

The full world map

Castille continues to take some territory in India, though we don't have maps about it yet. I think they annexed Mysore and released the Maldives from whoever had controlled them. They also keep annexing African nations. And have continued colonizing NE Canada. No one has gone after the Inca or annexed Huron yet, which is surprising. We're in the best position to take the Inca, but I was using badboy on less territorial things. Also pure white is not the best color for this particular style of map, suddenly the Suez Canal is much wider and in existence almost 300 years early.

So with that, I'm done. Isaac II is pretty old (54) already so his reign is likely to be fairly short. Arang is next on the list, so I'll be PMing him. The other two people on the list needed to wait til mid-September or so, which we are at. So I'll ask if you're ready.

• Options
    Russia looks ...err...huge. And contiguous.

I am still rooting for Sharkil to pull out a miracle and survive to Vicky. Also Makuria, but they've been trading provinces with Egypt all game.

And if Austria manages to retain Brandenburg and something cuts up Bohemia (or they just manage to connect Austrai with psuedo-Prussia) they could be quite a force - even without the crown. I am also surprised that Ming hasn't imploded. And also that the Dutch haven't done more with a trade realm.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    The Dutch got their asses kicked by Austria early in the last update and then spent the rest of that time reconquering things. We'll need to fight them once more, as mentioned.

And yeah, Russia is being all Russian. They took Kartli from the Zenatans in this update. I assume they'll start heading either east or towards the Balkans.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    So Arang forgot he had signed up and my PM reminded him to actually start reading the thread again. He had even uninstalled EU3, so we're going to pass him over.

At this point I will ask for new signups and the status of the three people who could not play previously for whatever reason. Like getting married. Psh.

• Options
    I'll sign up for a second round whenever you run out of people

• Options
    Alright, we'll start recycling people starting with Phyphor if no one is interested by the end of the weekend.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I'll sign up if I can play with Divine Wind installed without borking everything.

• Options
    I'd imagine that won't work. Rex would know better, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't.

• Options
    I guess we go with second runs then. Phyphor is the winner.

• Options
    DW has fancy new mechanics that could cause unforseen conflichts if the game didn't outright crash. Switching to DW and back again wouldn't work well. Fortunately for Victoria and HOI2/AOD there aren't any more expansions random expansions coming out so EU3 should be a special case.

And if you're open to fishing for more people for a few days (or alternatively having Phyphor wait), I can try to throw out an updated version with more complete 'tech tree' events. Possibly some new historical/dynastic events and the "Leaving the HRE" event talked about earlier. I could try to find some way to mitigate the province modifiers lost on tag switch, but that just seems to be a fundamental patch problem.

• Options
    I don't mind waiting

• Options
    Playing as Leon and inheriting Castille, Galciia, and Navarra all at once makes me happy. Plus a bunch of the New World. I'm playing a pretty backwards religious style, our next goal is Jerusalem and Mecca. At some point I'll probably turn around and grab Rome.

• Options
    So curiosities from the game:

1) Italy got formed! Hooray! By Romagna if you're curious, though capturing the entire peninsula might be tough as Byzantium has the southern end and 130,000 men. Never seen the AI pull it off.
    2) The Scottish Union got formed... and now Great Britain is likely if England can take Lothian from Holland. I haven't even screwed around up there!
    3) For a long time, the Papacy wasn't working right. Two of the cardinals had the Frankish Empire flag but no listed controller (as they didn't exist). This also made the cardinals all immortal. Which meant no one ever controlled the papacy and that was a big part of my gameplan. Started working when I went and fixed the tags on those two cardinals. They were tagged ---. I'm not sure what caused it or if it's replicable.
    4) Aquitaine is real close to Occitania. They just need Toulousse, which is owned by one of my vassals. Bastards betrayed me though and then became Protestant (and have one of the Spanish cores) so that probably won't actually happen.

• Options
    So are we waiting for Rex to add some more stuff?

Anyway, 1750 in the WC!
    EU3_MAP_CRL_1750.jpg

Re-examining the CBs it looks like the revolutionary war CB is 25%. So I'm pushing government. I've got 300k in my treasury ready to dump via static investment in a few years, estimated current year research to 53 is 480k. With that I can grab 3 provinces / year. Still not enough, but it can push back when I have to ignore the infamy limit

• Options
    There's a more general purpose Paradox thread here

• Options
  • Options
    Well this is interesting. Trying to fight tech 60 ships with mid 20s tech

• Options
    Well this is interesting. Trying to fight tech 60 ships with mid 20s tech

• Options
    Well everyone's at 5 provinces or less now. Aragon is pulling an impressive 6k / yr down as a OPM

• Options
    So I think the save has finally been sent to Phyphor. I am a slacker. If Rex gets the latest update done and Phyphor updates, the OP will probably be shocking neglected for a few days, as I am leaving for Orlando on Thursday to go to a cousin's wedding. Fun times. Back next Wednesday.

• Options
    starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    I'll re-up too. But I imagine I should be fitted down the list of re-uppers....part of the fun is being able to pull the game away from your predecessors policies.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Got the save, I'll probably wait a couple days to see if Rex gets the new mod version out. Also, that file is big. 38MB vs my game 200 years later that's not even 32.

edit: Also, Rex, some potential bugs I ran across
    - permanent overextension once past a certain size regardless of administration, core ratio, etc
    - your super high infamy event didn't fire in 12+ years of being over 100 infamy
    - govt change events don't lock each other out; constantly got the administrative monarchy event as an absolute monarchy and republic. Also, the absolute monarchy -> republican dictatorship transition was greyed out for some reason (had to edit the save to force it)

edit2: Admin 4 king & 6 heir means we won't get to form the Empire any time soon. Maybe I can get an heir replacement event (although 6/5/8 is pretty decent)

Phyphor on
  • Options
    Lots more country/history information in our game, one would think.

• Options
    Plodding along with stuff; also looking into potentially fixing that tag switch bug, but I'm pretty certain it's beyond my control. I'm also attempting to move, which doesn't lend it self well to modding since I've had to switch from my desktop to my laptop. An abundance of free time is coming next weekend, but I hope to have a version out before then (and if someone has an upload place recommendation I could use that as well, otherwise I can just try the suggestion of trying to upload it as a RAR instead of a ZIP just so Google Docs doesn't try to explode every folder and sub folder in there).

At the very least I hope to fix all the tiny(ish) bugs in the government tree and have the technology stuff up-to-date, the HRE crown thing, the dynastic events added back in there, and then a few missions for the AI to get them back on track. And if I can make time there may be some colony stuff for us to ensure there's at least some new world countries that form in-game instead of having a bunch of them squeeze into the Vicky mod.

I'd have to look at the overextension modifier to be sure, but even in the original version of the modifier you would also get it 'permanently' once you attained and stayed over a certain size. The numbers in the mod are lower than they were in the base game, but I can check it to make sure it's not doing anything ridiculous (although last I saw you've got a few hundred provinces, which doesn't bode well for the modifier.

• Options
    And it's done

EU3_18.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2011
    1618-1631
    Isaac took control of the realm in a period of peace, yet with the Austrian Emperor growing unchecked in power, he began to take steps to assert Frankish independence from the Empire. His first action was to integrate the Duchy of Dauphine to Vermandois proper.

EU3_19.jpg

Soon after, a Dutch cleric discovered a series of ancient letters dating back over 400 years, an exchange of alliances with the Dutch. Recognizing the letters would ensure Dutch autonomy in a greater Vermandois, Isaac instead kept them secret, strengthening the central government.

EU3_20.jpg

Two months later a group of citizens petitioned the government for lower taxes, however they were summarily ignored, the unrest would go away over time.

EU3_22.jpg

Isaac's dismissal of the burghers' complaints resulted in a small political crisis soon after as reports of the event reached neighbouring countries, causing a minor scandal. Over time, this scandal would fade away however.

EU3_23.jpg

The next ten years were peaceful and uneventful. Isaac focused on manufactuary construction, colonial development and gradual development of forts throught the land.

In 1628, yet more serfdom laws were repealed by royal decree. This had the effect of wiping out all remaining inflation.

EU3_24.jpg

In early 1630, Isaac began looking warily at the rampant growth of Austria. With no competition for the imperial crown they had successfully taken over huge swaths of imperial territory. A unified Emipre behind a strong Emperor was a major threat and, as the only place for Vermandois to expand were into the Empire, a confrontation was inevitable. So it was that in December of 1629, Isaac declared war on Austria, with the declared goal of liberating the many subjugated Austrian states.

Our vassals and allies joined in, Lappland, Alsace, Brittany, Normandy, Trier, Catalunya and Galicia. Ragusa, AnsbachBavaria, Switzerland, Tuscany and the Ukraine joined in with Austria to maintain the status quo

EU3_33.jpg

The war was going favorably for us. Austria was losing many battles while holding very little of our territory. Out allies prove to be valuable, helping to capture several Austrian provinces.

EU3_25.jpg

The counter-reformation had achieved it's goal of maintaining Catholic dominance throughout the Christian world. Only a handful of Protestant states remained in the world.

EU3_26.jpg

Spies sent to report on Austrian troop movement were successful

EU3_28.jpg

With much of his territory occupied, the Holy Roman Emperor was forced to cede much of his acquired lands to the dispossessed princes of the empire. The Emperor's authority had taken a major blow from agreeing to such a humiliating peace and the electors had begun favoring Prussia and had hinted to Isaac that he could become Emperor if he challenged Austria.

EU3_29.jpg
    EU3_30.jpg

Great Britian took advantage of our conflict on the mainland and has started a colonial war, stealing one of our colonies, fortunately it was able to be reclaimed.

EU3_31.jpg

They are assisted by Scania, Munster (Ireland, not the mainland one) and Hannover, while our alliance responded in full. Unfortunately for Great Britian, they seem to be greatly outgunned

EU3_32.jpg

Three questions to be put to the nobles

First of all:
    The imperial crown is up for grabs. Austria has only 2 votes. Prussia has 3, we have 1. Two of Prussia's votes can be stolen. Shall we?

Second:
    How strongly should Great Britian be punished for this foolish war? Any and all colonial provinces are up for grabs.

Third:
    We are going to need another national idea vote in the next 10 years. All tech 30 ideas are now on the table: Naval Fighting Instructions, Regimental System, Scientific Revolution, Smithian Economics, Cabinet

My vote is for Scientific Revolution. For SCIENCE!

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Cabinet More for the continuing reforms of the Frankish government than for the in game effects, which I would like to not get.

Our focus should be not on Germany and Italy, but we should create a Germanic counter balance to the powers of Bohemia and Austria. Therefore we should do everything in our power to make Prussia the Holy Roman Emperor. Meanwhile, I propose launching an exploratory expedition to the far east for lands in that area to colonize. With that focus it doesn't make any sense to acquire British colonies. Re-take any provinces with Frankish culture and if you can do it without actually invading the islands, force them to re-lease their oppressed Scottish and Welsh subjects.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Does cabinet affect anything like that? Rex didn't add the 30+ ideas to his post so I don't know what changes he has in other than the usual effects

Phyphor on
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it triggers anything that Rex scripted, but I'm pro-constitutionalism, basically.

• Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    1. Let Prussia have it. The only empire I'm interested in is reforging the proper Frankish Empire of Charlemagne. Let the pretenders squabble.
    2. Take back anything of ours and maybe a little bit of high value, and release nations if you can. Basically what enlightenedbum said.
    3. Scientific Revolution! It's time for some Kuhnian paradigm shifts! Mostly I just like going to the nation sort screen and having way higher tech than everyone else.

• Options
    Cabinet may speed up some of the events, but there's nothing specifically dependant on Cabient.

I think I can back a Scientific Revolution. Henri Olbers would have wanted it that way.

Also, are you playing with 1.04a or the one from the regular 1.04 from the first page? The "A" version (buried in a post a few pages back because I hoped to have a newer version out for the next person - foolish me) should address instances of higher level governments reverting to Administrative Monarchy. If you are using that I'll take a closer look through the events.

• Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    1. Let Prussia have the Imperial Crown.
    2. Emphasize releasing Scotland and Wales.
    3. Scientific Revolution.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    1. I agree with letting Prussia have the HRE crown; we can always take it back, later, if we want to add a useless bauble to the true Imperial crown.

2. Don't we need at least one Irish territory to reform the Carolingian empire? If so, beat up on England and Ireland until you can take that one back, otherwise focus on taking back our N.V. colonies and then forcing the Brits to release some sovereign states. Furthermore, see if you can add a bit more to the Carolingian buffer zone around the Huron; I'd like to see them survive as a nation.

3. I'll hold my vote on the next idea until I see the what they actually do. :)

Enterprises in Asia sounds like fun; we need somewhere else to ship off our malcontents.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Maybe you're thinking of Dutch provinces? We optionally need some of those.

carolingiannation2.gif

• Options
    He probably confused the Irish Munster for the other one which we do need