As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can go until Baradas manages to find/restore his pictures or you really want to go. I also removed the core Sweden has on Gotland in the save game, so I can potentially send that to you.

President Rex on
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'll pass then and let you take it. I feel uncomfortable not following a report since it breaks the narrative...which, yes, is silly. I'll pick up after you.

starkiller on
    edited July 2011
    starkiller wrote: »
    I'll pass then and let you take it. I feel uncomfortable not following a report since it breaks the narrative...which, yes, is silly. I'll pick up after you.

I meant go in the sense of continuing to mod until Baradas finds his pictures. But if you really want me to go I can.

He did say he had the text written up somewhere, so at some point I guess we could just take the text instead of waiting for pictures.

President Rex on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    There are plenty of other people in the queue, so Rex don't play. I PM'd him to see what's going on. Does anyone happen to have the old save just in case?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I still have the save I gave to Baradas if thats what you're referring to.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    I have his save. I'll play...I'd forgot Rex already had a turn. Rex if your finished with the mod you can send it back and I can play it out this weekend.

starkiller on
    edited July 2011
    Zedar I'm going to ask you to give your save to starkiller if we don't hear from Farseer by tomorrow. No response to the PM and it's been two and a half weeks since he posted in the thread. Hasn't even been here for 10 days.

enlightenedbum on
    edited July 2011
    I haven't gotten to actually add much in the way of missions to help the AI, but I have accomplished a few other things. There are some bug corrections and a few events to help the AI fulfill missions they're having trouble with (Zenata in particular refuses to conquer Baghdad and has kept the same mission since the game's start despite the fact it surrounds the current owner on all sides).

(Not that Zenata needs the help necessarily, it's doing a decent job becoming an Ottoman replacement on its own)

I also added a series of events to help determine technology levels in Vicky (in case - by the time we get to the 1700s - I am unavailable) and who gets to lead the industrial revolution. Only steam power, clean coal, money regulation and railroad levels are really deviate from basic tech groups, so those are the only ones that will be affected.

Plus who gets to lead the industrial revolution.

The UK starts Vicky with a Machine Parts factory, but does not actually start with the tech researched to build more. This gives them a very healthy lead on factory production into the mid to late 1840s. So the tech events are basically a fancy way of determining who gets that magical machine parts plant. And which provinces will have experimental railroads.

The EU3 benefits are marginal at best (tiny prestige bonuses, mostly), but will have a bigger impact in Vicky. Plus the earliest any of the chains can start is in the 1550s.

President Rex on
    edited July 2011
    So is the latest posted in the link? I'm waiting for final word before I start. I ended up working all weekend so didn't check the forum until today.

starkiller on
    edited July 2011
    You should have gotten a new save from Zedar today. Farseer's getting postponed, if he ever comes back he can try again hopefully with less computer death.

enlightenedbum on
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Be careful, it is clearly the save of doom. My EU3 stopped working and it has apparently destroyed Farseer's computer.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    Here is 1.04.

President Rex on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Save of doom indeed

Phyphor on
    Any status update?

• LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    I had a question about the mod... How do you get rid of the traditional worldview where you get a massive decrease in colonists?

I haven't played a ton of EU3, and when I've done so I've only been involved with land warring. I'm doing a new play of the mod now where I want to do some colonizing and sea battles so I know what I'm doing when my turn on the LP comes. I got the event where I got an explorer even though I don't have the Quest for the New World idea yet, and so I managed get as far west as Bermuda in the 1420s (though Bermuda itself is still whited out). The Azores are sitting there just waiting for colonists, though, and I can't move on that since my colonists never increase.

Does the worldview change once you get the Quest for the New World idea? Is there any way to get colonists prior to that, or am I stuck waiting and just hoping no one on the Iberian Peninsula beats me to the Azores?

Yup, QftNW changes the worldview, and I think there are a few other ways to do it, but you'd have to ask Rex to be sure.

Awesome, thanks! I've been investing heavily in both Government and Trade, so I have a pretty healthy lead over everyone else toward getting QftNW. Leon and Castille have been preoccupied with going after each other enough that I should still be able to beat them.

Who are you playing as? I managed to get a large portion of the New World as Svaeland -> Sweden -> Scandinavia when I was fooling around with the mod. Was contemplating playing as like... Wales, recently.

edited July 2011
    There are 4 modifiers

Traditional Worldview. Ostensibly for those that don't have QFTNW and have not discovered the new world and have no colonial aspiration.

Basically no colonists.

Thar Be Dragons!

No sane European truly believed that the Earth was flat (and only one Medieval map contains the words 'Here be dragons'), but they did believe they were confined to Eurasia and Africa. Most held the Aristotelean view that the Earth was divided into two hemispheres, each consisting of frigid polar, temperate middle and torrid equatorial zones. The torrid zone should prove impassable, since anyone venturing in would be scorched to death as they came too close to the sun. Whether the opposite side of the Earth consisted of a great sea or Terra Australis - a southern land - was uncertain. All that they could be sure of was that it must be uninhabited since Jesus had sent his 12 apostles to preach to every inhabited corner of the Earth and unreachable men would prove God fallible.

Expansionist Worldview. Rich/Powerful countries with adjacent unoccupied land (e.g. Russia, Egypt/Makuria) - although they'll revert to traditional afterwards - and countries with colonialism-oriented ideas (LOO, CV, Shipwrights) get this. Iberian and maghreb_arabic (ostensibly for Morocco, but they are defunct now) get a free pass to this as well.

-0.2 per year, which more than negates most non-Christian's colonial bonus.
    The vast tracts of uncivilised land surrounding our great nation have prompted the people to attempt to settle in adjacent lands. Some of the populace is restless and seeks to migrate to these new lands.

Portuguese explorers began probing south along the coast of Africa in the early 1400s. Their exploration was prompted by hostile Muslim nations in the Levant, which blocked trade with the Far East. They soon discovered that an inhospitable equatorial torrid zone did not exist - the sun was not near the Earth. However, the belief persisted that a vast expanse of ocean separated East from West, and that venturing West was a fool's errand, as the explorers would die well before their ships struck land.

Contented Worldview. For countries that have discovered the new world but do not have colonial aspirations. Once you have one of the others you cannot revert to this.

-1 colonist. If you play your cards right you could still come out with 0.1 or more per year.
    Across the great seas a New World awaits, but our government has chosen to focus on more immediate matters. While we know of a vast new world, we choose to instead improve our situation in the Old World.

Colonisational Worldview. QFTNW will get you this. Or having a pair of other colonial-related ideas after 1530.

No reduction in colonists (although game-wide reductions - such as from religion - would still be in place. This is designed to limit colonization so there's still something left for Vicky).
    A New World awaits! A great sea separates our lands from a wealth of unclaimed resources. It is God's Will that we go out and obtain them for the greater good of our people and our coffers.

The torrid zone does not exist, and an entire hemisphere of ocean does not sepearate Europe from the Far East. For some time the idea persisted that the world must have symmetry, and therefore a large Eurasia-sized southern continent must exist. Only in the late 1700s with the exploration of Australia and circumnavigation of the world near the frigid southern polar circle did the idea disappear.

After 1700 all bets are off and everybody has a chance to become imperialistic and grab some colonies. Since the AI does not have the wherewithal to not spend its 3rd or 4th idea until it can get QFTNW there's also an event that can fire to give appropriate colony seekers their 4th idea as QFTNW a bit earlier than their government tech may allow.

The names/descriptions/mechanics are very euro-centric because the game is about our country. If I actually intended to create a mod representing everyone there'd be a few more in there. But it serves its purposes to limit the number of colonizers and the speed of colonizing.

President Rex on
    Will have one (late) tonight I'm still unpacking boxes from the move. In the meantime, in real life, the Crown Prince of the Austrian Empire died. I thought the burial challenge at the end was enchanting in its own way:
    http://cantuar.blogspot.com/2011/07/yesterdays-requiem-for-christendom.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+taylormarshall+(Canterbury+Tales+by+Taylor+Marshall)&utm_content=FaceBook

Who are you playing as? I managed to get a large portion of the New World as Svaeland -> Sweden -> Scandinavia when I was fooling around with the mod. Was contemplating playing as like... Wales, recently.

Just playing as Vermandois again. I ended up beating everyone else to the New World by a huge time frame, as well as successfully circumnavigating the globe and starting an East India Trading Company before the year 1500. I got very lucky with several missions in a row to discover areas which rewarded 5 colonists, giving me a huge leg up in colonization. I've got most of the Caribbean colonized, as well as the Azores and Bermuda, and started on the East Coast. I didn't realize quite how severe the tariff penalty is when your navy is on the weak side, though, which has severely lessened the value of my colonies. That kind of knowledge is why I wanted to do this latest play through though, since I've totally neglected colonization in the past and have little experience. Best way to learn is by screwing it up in a practice game.

I should note I usually play Italian minors and don't colonize. I failed. hard. Report being formatted right now. I'm only a few years in...but whoever follows me is going to have a really hard time.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    starkiller wrote:
    I should note I usually play Italian minors and don't colonize. I failed. hard. Report being formatted right now. I'm only a few years in...but whoever follows me is going to have a really hard time.

I can't decide if this is awesome or sad. :D

(I apologize for the lack of shots I played late at night and forgot to take many)

Coming to this crown is not what We wanted. We know We are sometimes mocked at court (traits 1, -, 1!!!!!!). We know that the mocking will continue. However, We swear We will try our best. Our recent father has left us unwelcome in many of the courts of Europe and has embarked on a plan of modernization that We feel is unwise. We are heavily invested in holdings in the Southern Mountains of Iberia and far to the south.
    EU3_3.png

Our father has set out on a path of centralization and it is one We follow. While We disagree with him in part, We agree that a strong and just government will only benefit our subjects. However the changes We make upset some historical rights. There is some turmoil at home, but what is most surprising is that when the pretender comes he comes in Africa. He is a nuisance and quickly dispatched but it is our first experience of how heartland issues can become a colonial crisis. We pray that this is not a pattern that is repeated.

Our father has built a powerful navy, but it sits idle. So We set it on patrol to guard the waters of our colonies in both Africa and The New World. We attempt to spread our dynastic influence by marrying some distant members of the family to courts in Europe. Evidently We are not welcome anywhere. Most horrifying is all of the Electors of the Empire and the Emperor himself are on very unfriendly terms.

We have government resources that have sat idle during our father's reign (six magistrates) so We dispatch them to expanding our new road network. Our father has commited much of our treasury to an active military (max slider on maint, heavy invest in navy) and We allow these monies to be reinvested in advances in government philosophy and farm and industry investments. Something called "the money supply" is evidently stable so I dispatch my banker and join a master diplomat to my court to reduce the antagonism developed by my father.

All of this We accomplished in the first few months of my reign, the Year of our Lord 1509. I believe, unfortunately, that this may have been the best part of my reign.

(The Political Map)
    EU3_4.png

In 1510 we receive news that the Kingdom of Scotland has been extinguished. A mighty power is rising off our coast that is hostile to us (as all are). The reformation spreads further and under the advice of my councilors I adopt a new policy of Counter Reformation. I also increase the fortifications in the protestant region of Barbant in the hope that such moves will increase stability. I also offer protection to the only elector that doesn't outright refuse us admittance to their court, Romagna (-180).

In May of the same year we capture two spies. The first is an agent of Leon. The second does not provide any clues but We assume that it is also from Leon. The first is also successful in siring a rebellious plot.

EU3_10.png

We collect our European fleet in response and prepare for war. Leon is fairly weak and We expect a quick victory. We declare war shortly after expecting to quickly subdue Brittany and then punish Leon in Africa where we have a very competent general.

EU3_11.png

Within a few months, with our forces committed, our vassal Granada is attacked by Castille dragging us into another war. Egypt is an ally of Castille, but we discount that because of the distances involved. Sailing such a large fleet is dangerous, and within the first month we surprise and smash a squadron of fifteen transports off the coast. It is to be a short lived victory.

EU3_13.png

EU3_12.png

We are now at war with most of Iberia. However that is not daunting. Many of the countries involved are small. Insignificant. A quick disaster in for anyone of them will swing things in Our favor. What We do not expect is Egypt. Egypt lands forces on the Mederteranian coast (We assume) and march them north. Our southern countryside is laid waste and our largest European force of twenty thousand plus men is completely destroyed in two key battles. Fortunately, our allies have fought well and Castille desires peace. However, the cost is the release of Flanders. We acquiesce in 1511 since we have no forces nor any provinces to muster more in Europe [there are some but I'm already in debt so I take the peace in the hope of doing better elsewhere].

(Sorry only one of the disasters is recorded)
    EU3_16.png

Morocco, who had earlier warned us, also enters the war in 1511. They are quickly brought to a white peace which ends harassment that has hurt us in Africa. Egypt, now free to look elsewhere, ends Makuria. We are able to sack much of Leon's African holdings. However the loss of provinces to the new Flanders prevents us from launching a counter force so we release Granada to win the peace.

We leave early because we are more concerned with Castille, who has now committed against Leon. The balance of power has to be maintained at any cost.

EU3_23.png

Elvenshae wrote:
    starkiller wrote:

I can't decide if this is awesome or sad. :D

The loss of that portion of the low countries is going to suck. There's also no way (that I know of) to quickly see where the road networks have spread so I don't know where to move the center of influence. Some of the trade choices were also odd...we seemed to be building for trade but acting like a colonial empire. The sliders seemed to be minor optimized...

And of course the wars immediately after I had popped the banker were frustrating (we're at .2 inf so not bad). I'm now deeply in debt...I think 1100 ducats. Though it might be more.

Hmmm....and the images didn't work out right...well fiddle.

Did you play the save Baradas sent you? Because we're missing like a decade.

Did you play the save Baradas sent you? Because we're missing like a decade.

Very temporary dark age!

Yes I'm playing the original save sent to me. I should be able to get some more time in tonight and send the report in tomorrow.

BTW, just to confirm because we talked about it so long ago, we are still playing till monarch death, correct?

starkiller wrote:
    BTW, just to confirm because we talked about it so long ago, we are still playing till monarch death, correct?

Yep!

Any chance you can summarize what it looks like Baradas did? And tell me what years that update covered for the list. And what your dude's name is. And all that good stuff.

1510 - 1513

Have no idea what Baradas did; which is why I was considering waiting. We now have a hole in the timeline. I am aware that everyone is angry at Vandermois. It looks like magistrates weren't used and diplomacy stopped. We may face a financial collapse.

Could you send me your initial save? And Elvenshae, if you could send me the save you gave to Baradas? I'll try to piece together a rough idea of what happened. No screenshots obviously, but the history files are robust enough I should be able to figure it out.

edited July 2011
    Could you send me your initial save? And Elvenshae, if you could send me the save you gave to Baradas? I'll try to piece together a rough idea of what happened. No screenshots obviously, but the history files are robust enough I should be able to figure it out.

Can you PM me your email address?

And, actually, I sent my save to Zedar, not Baradas, in case that's important.

Elvenshae on
    I've been informed the links to updates are broken on the first page. I'll fix it when I figure out what Baradas did.

The Lost Reign of Louis VI, King of Vermandois, or Vermandois Conquers the Mayans!

OK, so I think I have pieced together much of what happened. But first, a brief summary of the realm when Louis VI takes power:

x4m9aq.jpg

Vermandois itself is a powerful nation with a fairly large army (49,000 men) and 17 ships. There is that annoying hole that is Hainaut, but they're our vassal, so huzzah. Also, here you can see Brittany is fighting a war with England, which they will lose, being forced to release Cornwall in the process.

s1jogh.png

Vermandois also has a large overseas presence in Morocco, including the vital trade port in Tangiers. We can also see Murcia is controlled by the Franks.

11hw3tf.png

There had also been some exploration into the Atlantic Ocean and land had been discovered.

So that was the state of Vermandois when Louis VI took the throne. Incidentally, he had another Louis for a son. Who was kind of retarded. Seriously: 4-3-4! Awful. Sorry starkiller!

28u5kqe.png

Louis fairly clearly fought a war with Alsace and took the northern two provinces of that small nation (Worms and Koblenz, I believe). You can also see some results from the Brittany/England war here, with Brittany releasing Normandy and Cornwall and Navarre being forced to release Anjou by Brittany in a separate peace. I think. Otherwise not a ton of change in our immediate region, though the reformation has converted a few provinces.

2dgt85e.png

In Morocco, Toubkhal has been seized to create a contiguous border. In addition, two provinces at the southern end of the holdings have grown into full cities and are no longer colonies. Huzzah.

28078k9.png

The major accomplishment during Louis VI's reign. The conquest of the Mayan empire on the new land mass to the west. Unfortunately, there is a major piracy problem in the area and the European fleet had not sailed to begin patrolling the waters in the area. Which means the empire is getting any profit from the conquest. Also, we have no missionaries and we're not making any, so these territories are shrinking. Which... is a problem. Hopefully one which Louis VII has addressed, at least somewhat.

ibfb01.png

Frankish explorers also discovered that the land mass extended quite far to the north and colonists were sent to build settlements in the area. The first was named Rocheville, in honor of the first explorer to discover the new continent, and built in an area the settlers called Nouvelle Valencien. The island of Bermuda was also colonized during Louis VI's reign.

neao0p.png

Explorers were also sent down the west coast of Africa, but fairly little of note was discovered.

Other things of note: we got another two moves towards innovation which is good for technology, but we're going to need a tolerant national idea or something to start getting missionaries, as we're currently getting -.55 per year, have none, and the Reformation is happening around us as well as the New World conquered provinces needing converting. The budget was hosed and we were losing 50 some ducats per year, so without some native bashing we'd either have to mint or downsize the army. Though obviously clearing out those pirates would help as well. We're also close to another national idea and I imagine starkiller probably had to pick one? If not, we should re-assess and vote again.

And now a WORLD UPDATE!

fnwubl.png

Iberia remains a muddled place, without a true dominant power. Portugal is our vassal. The Netherlands actually has colonized the Azores and Canaries, so they have nice ports from which to colonize when they become cores. Leon has taken quite a lot of the North African to the east of our holdings across to almost Tripoli. Catalunya is doing surprisingly nicely for itself.

b4b2q0.png

England kicked Scotland's ass quite thoroughly. They've got the Western Isles to take before annexation. I forgot to check, but they're actually probably England's vassal, which means we're ~60-70 years from Great Britain forming.

5bae7n.png

Scandinavia is starting to organize a little. Goetheland has become the dominant power in Sweden, and may be on its way to re-forming that nation.

2q35f05.png

Ryazan has become a dominant power in the Russian steppes. They've taken Novgorod and I'm not sure but could be on their way to actually forming Russia. I forget the requirements other than needing Novgorod and Moscow. I think you need Neva (what would become St. Petersberg) as well.

awow47.png

Eastern Europe has Poland as a major power, though sometime during Louis' 12 years they lost a war and had to release Chernigov, which split their empire in two. Bohemia is a respectable power, and likely to be the next Holy Roman Emperor if the King of Austria were to die. Austria has done Austrian things and is doing quite nicely for itself, as you can see.

29e4113.png

Zenata continues to nibble away at Anatolia, slowly taking over the eastern holdings of Byzantium.

Not pictured: Egypt has Makuria and is currently fighting with Brittany over something or other. Galicia is also involved. Leon is fighting Zenata and Oman, they've occupied the Zenatan province on the Sinai. Italy is largely as it began, a mess of city states, with Sicily still being fairly powerful. No one else has crossed the Atlantic, as of yet.

So I THINK the second post is fixed now. That was a fun hour or so.

I think it would be hilarious and interesting if we end up like the Spanish Empire. Capture awesome lands, maybe form some important personal unions throughout the world, only to crumble due to inflation, manufacturing shortfalls, colonial politicking and internal strife. Slowly collapsing to a regional power in Vicky and then basically being the Spanish Civil War of HOI2.

But I'm sure starkiller can decently recover from the few pitfalls he has encountered.

And we're quite a few years off from Spain's downfall. Plus there's another 300+ years to go.

Anyone have Morocco just kick ass and take names? I started a game with us and they've almost made it to Egypt and fought off an English/Romagnese invasion with no losses.