As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

League of Legends: Free and also Awesome

KwoaruKwoaru Confident SmirkFlawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in Social Entropy++
All Glory to Kovak's OP

Go here to download and play for free.

League of Legends is a game based off a Warcraft III Mod called DotA, all the cool kids call it a moba.

You pick one of like 10 million champions and then try to destroy the other teams base in a 5v5 map. Between you and the enemy base is a series of towers and automatically spawning npcs called creeps or minions.

There's also a 3v3 map but it's terrible.

Here's the map of Summoner's Rift
lolsummonersriftmap.png
Black Dots are Towers
Red Dots are Inhibitors
Red X is the base
Creeps:
1.Golems
2.Dragon
3.Lizard Elder
4.Wraith
5.Ancient Golem
6.Wolfs
7.Wraiths
8.Lizard Elder
9.Golems
10.Wolfs
11.Ancient Golem
12.Baron

There are tougher creeps that give you a temporary buff when you kill them, these creeps are hardto kill but the buffs can be worth it
Lizard Elder - Lizard Elder provides a buff that gives your attacks a slow with a DoT component
Ancient Golem - Ancient golem provides a buff that increases mana regen and decreases cooldown time
Baron - Killing baron usually takes at least 2 to 3 late game dudes, and provides a crazy buff that I don't have the stats on right now.
Dragon - gives the whole team XP and Gold if

Destroying your enemies:
You must destroy each lane's towers in order, the other towers will be invulnerable until the one before them is destroyed. In order to destroy the opponents base at least one inhibitor must be down.
Destroying an inhibitor causes your nexus to spawn super creeps in that lane. Super Creeps can be hard for even a max level champion to kill quickly.
Inhibitors will respawn after five minutes, so work fast to make the most of your super minions.

Champion Level:
Every time your champion levels up their stats increase and they get a skill point.
Each champion has 4 unique abilities that go up to rank 4, 3 available from the start and 1 ultimate that becomes available at level 6. Regular skills have 5 ranks and ultimates have 3 ranks.

Summoner Level:
Each match awards XP that goes towards your Summoner Level.
Summoner levels unlock rune slots, talent points, and additional summoner spells.

Summoner Spells:
Before a match starts you can pick 2 summoner spells to use during the game. You can use any spell with any champion, but some spells are more effective for some champs than they are for others.
Exhaust (Level 1) Blinds (100% Miss Chance) the target and slows its Movement Speed by 40% for 3 seconds.
Ghost (Level 1) Your Champion ignores unit collision and moves 32% faster for 14 seconds
Heal (Level 1) Restores 140 + 20 x level Health to your Champion and 50% of that to nearby allies.
Revive (Level 1) Instantly revives your Champion at your Spawning Pool. In addition your champion gains a speed bonus that decreases over time. 9 Minute cooldown.
Smite (Level 1) Deals 420, plus 25 times your level, damage to target enemy minion or pet.
Teleport (Level 1) After 4 seconds, teleports your champion to target friendly minion or turret.
Cleanse (Level 2) Removes all stuns, slows, taunts, fears, snares, sleeps, and immobilizers and lowers the duration of new ones applied by 65% for 3 seconds.
Fortify (Level 4) Grants invulnerability to all Allied Turrets and causes them to attack 100% faster. While Fortify is ready to cast, you deal 9 bonus damage to minions.
Clarity (Level 6) Restores 160 + 30 x level Mana to your champion and 50% of that to nearby allies.
Ignite (Level 7) Ignite is a DoT that targets a single champion, dealing 50 damage plus 20 damage per level over 5 seconds. Ignores enemy magic resist, and reduces healing and regeneration by 50%
Rally (Level 8) Summons a beacon with 200 + 25 x level health for 15 seconds which increases allied attack damage by 10-35.
Clairvoyance (Level 10) Reveals an area of the map for 6 seconds
Flash (Level 12) Teleports your champion to your cursor's location
For new players I recommend Ghost and Exhaust. Taking Heal or Revive is for noobs who are going to lose.

Items:
Each champion has 6 item slots to choose from. Items often can be combined together to build stronger items, although having partial pieces will apply a discount to the purchase of the stronger item and remove that piece, so you do not have to purchase all the parts to get the stronger item.
Some items have abilities that have to be activated in combat, also potions fall under this category.
Items are hotkeyed to 1 through 6 by default.

For tips on item builds, talent builds, and skilling orders go to www.leaguecraft.com

Champions have a couple vague descriptors to help explain to you what they do!
Sometimes these accurately describe a champion and sometimes they are outright lies, so it never hurts to ask if you aren't sure.
Melee - Basic attacks can only be used in close combat
Ranged - Basic attacks can be used from a distance
Assassin - Damage-based champion that has at least one ability to close distance between enemy targets quickly; champions with this attribute tend to die much quicker when

targeted.
Fighter - Damage-based champion that performs better in large group fights.
Mage - Damage-based champion whose abilities are typically ranged and greatly affected by ability power.
Support - Champion with abilities that aid in team fights and usually aren't good in 1v1 fights.
Tank - Champion that can act as a group shield due to their above-average health, armor, and magic resist; usually they have low damage output.
Carry - A champion that typically starts out with below average stats and becomes above average as a match progresses. The name comes from how they can "carry" their team at the
end of the game if their team carries them at the beginning.
Disabler - A champion that can disable enemy champions with their abilities (sometimes labeled disable instead of disabler in-game).
Farmer - A champion that can easily kill enemy minions and neutral monsters, thus allowing them to build in-match gold faster.
Flee - A champion that possesses abilities that enable it to escape from combat.
Haste - A champion that can temporarily speed up self, allies, or both.
Heal - A champion that can heal either itself, its allies, or both.
Ninja - This champion uses energy instead of mana (energy recharges quickly and is not effected by mana and mana regeneration stat increases, and has a fixed maximum amount that
can be increased by runes).
Nuke - A champion that can deal a significant amount of damage in a short time.
Pet - A champion that can create a non-champion ally (sometimes controllable).
Pusher - A champion that can quickly destroy enemy towers and inhibitors due to their ability to summon additional units or deal damage to an area of enemy creeps.
Recommended - A champion that Riot Games staff would recommend for people new to League of Legends.
Silence - A champion that can silence enemy champions; champions affected by silence cannot use abilities or summoner spells during its duration.
Snare - A champion that can snare enemy champions; champions affected by snares cannot move during its duration.
Slow - A champion that can slow enemy champions; champions affected by slows move slower during its duration.
Stealth - A champion that can become invisible to enemies (other than when near turrets, vision wards, and enemy champions with an Oracles buff).
Stun - A champion that can stun enemy champions; champions affected by stuns cannot move, attack, use abilities, or use summoner spells other than Cleanse.
Teleport - A champion that can teleport to other locations or champions; champions with abilities that are similar to the summoner spell Flash do not have this attribute.
Tough - A champion that lives longer than usual in combat.

Champion Stats:
Each champion has a stat window that looks like this:

lolstats.png

Attack Damage governs your champion’s auto attack damage and Ability Power governs any of your champion’s abilities.
Armor protects against Physical Damage and Magic Resist protects against Magic Damage.
I think everything else is pretty self explanatory.

Things Not to Do/Things to get your opponent to do:
Over Committing: Don't chase that kill just because you want it so bad, it's usually going to end up in you dead. Bide your time, be patient, and own when you know you can.

Feeding: Feeding is dying a whole lot and giving your opponents gold allowing them to spank you even more efficiently and get even more gold. If you're having trouble with the opposing characters on a lane, maybe ask to switch with someone else.

Being Baited: Oftentimes one wounded character will attempt to lead you into a trap where multiple dudes will jump out of the bushes and sodomize you. Don't let it be you on the ground in a puddle of fluids and broken dreams.

HEAWEFB.png
ack – sacksy
anjin-san – steezus
andrew ryan – andrewdyin
as7 - arsenic7
.avi - clockwork wizard

bendery – bendery
Bucketman - Bucketman
burning organ - organburner
b_r – ishuma

charles kinbote – esopus
CodeRed - Muckdork
corporatelogo – corporatelogo
cosmic sombrero - nouveau chapeau
Cowardly - Dangersock

dadouw – dadouw
der waffle mous - derwafflemous
dread pirate arbuthnot - requine
druhim - druhim
dr.funkenstein - borylord

fallout – fallovt
faynor – faynor
FirmSkater - Qlanth

grath - grath
gumpy - gumpyvonbear

hellajeff – efrenchlove
hunter - hunterse

iamthepieman - pyeman

JohnHam - J0HNH4M
jyardana - jyardana

kabuki64 - blts / e101
koshian - koshian
kovak - bigg johnson
kwoaru – kwoaru

lardalish – lardalish
lilli - lilli fen

Mr. Mojo Risin - Vaamoose

nirya - nirya

phonehand – hobbesmee
pipthefair - pipthefair
pkerthbnd – thegodfajah
projeck - projeck

Sagaxus - Zolnab
SeñorAmor - senoramor
skettios - zymirra / obliviousninja
Swill - SwillaThaThrilla
Syrellis - Syrellis

the cheat – menstrosaurus
The Far Side - JudgeDreddScott
thelawinator – thelawinator
TracerBullet - SpacemanSpliffed

unintentional - Unintentional
uriel - jarofmolymayo

wimble - wimble

XLShadow - xls

zen vulgarity - zenvulgarity
Zoel - kingzoel
zombiemombo - essgee

we'll just use the se++ vent like chumps

vtx14.defconservers.com
fortytwo

Servers are Busy!
Enter the code:

up down left right up up down down

2x39jD4.jpg
Kwoaru on

• Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    man, shoulda used kovak's OP but its all good

i got janna now

liking casters lately

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kovak's gon' be mad, also that player list needs updating, for example PUT ME ON THERE: J0HNH4M

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I couldn't quote it so I just grabbed the important stuff and I'll fiddle with the code and images later

Casters are really fun, if this new guy is less than 6k I'm probably gonna grab him for kicks

edit-Oh shit kovak's op really is good

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am pretty terrible at this game.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I would be willing to bet that the new guy is going to cost 6300 points.

Depending on how good he is I might buy him, though.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if he was a 6k champ but I can always hope

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Man, I think its safe to say at this point that Xin Zhao is pretty overpowered. I honestly wouldn't mind if he was a carry or something but he can basically whoop anyones ass at any point in the game very reliably.

The only decent counter to him is a bunch of stuns but lets be honest anyone is going to die if you stun them enough.

Its to the point where I don't even want to play if the other team has a Xin Zhao because I know its just going to end in frustration.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yo I am Unintentional in this game :D:D

unintentional on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am not in the player list. Summoner name: pyeman.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Man, I think its safe to say at this point that Xin Zhao is pretty overpowered. I honestly wouldn't mind if he was a carry or something but he can basically whoop anyones ass at any point in the game very reliably.

The only decent counter to him is a bunch of stuns but lets be honest anyone is going to die if you stun them enough.

Its to the point where I don't even want to play if the other team has a Xin Zhao because I know its just going to end in frustration.

riot has already said xin is overpowered for quite some time now

they are going to fiddle with his numbers on his ult and slow and such

but they are taking their sweet time

also, as if it is news to everyone, it's hard to win when your karthus feeds four kills to their annie within 12 minutes

my team didn't know this

so i had to endure a 50 minute slow as molasses loss

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yo who wants to be the third wheel while I teach my friend to play in a 3v3 maybe

e: nevermind

unintentional on
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You got my name wrong. It is "ishuma" not "inhuma".

B_R on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    add me to that list! my username is the same as my forum name

Also which hero should I get for my first dude? I can decide between the 4 of 5 450 point guys (fuck the Star Child)

Bucketman on
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ashe is a pretty solid choice. My brother started off with Master Yi and then moved to Nunu and likes Nunu way more.

Really it depends on how you like to play.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I want to unlock morgana already!

unintentional on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Ashe is a pretty solid choice. My brother started off with Master Yi and then moved to Nunu and likes Nunu way more.

Really it depends on how you like to play.

I remember back in beta my top 4 where Jax, the paladin guy, Master Yi, and the chick with the big throwing star, I might give Ashe a shot

Bucketman on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm SenorAmor.

Please to be adding me to the OP.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am the champion

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    add me to that list! my username is the same as my forum name

Also which hero should I get for my first dude? I can decide between the 4 of 5 450 point guys (fuck the Star Child)

Kayle can be a force to reckon with when played correctly.

First slow the enemy, enhance your attacks and make them ranged and if necessary give yourself more speed. With the right items you will be killing things.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    undeinpirat's guide to being the best kayle

items -> doran's ring and hp pot start

rush guinsoo's rageblade

after that build nashor's tooth

skills priority is R>E>W>Q

use e to get easy last hits and harass, w for heals

once you have your rageblade you are a farming and dps machine

once you have your nashor's tooth you are a tower melting machine

stay in lane for a long time, i usually get a rageblade and boots 1 first trip back (try and get a solo sidelane if you can if you have a jungler)

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

rush guinsoo's rageblade

you're done right here

EDIT: wait, you gotta hit e first

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That's pretty much the guide I used I think.

I mean that as in you said that in the last thread and I fell in love.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

rush guinsoo's rageblade

you're done right here

EDIT: wait, you gotta hit e first

what do you mean mister dogpic

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    kayle is lol

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    pip is lol heh

Faynor on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Faynor is jailed

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ROBOT HUGS FOR ALL

unintentional on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is the new rotation going to be today or tomorrow? Free Vlad?

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    New champs aren't free the week they get released

It'll be free Xin Zhao this week

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    ROBOT HUGS FOR ALL

except morgana

ice cold bitch

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Better steer clear of the LoL forums, then, unless they're going to nerf him slightly with the update. The Xin hate seems pretty overblown IMO, I haven't played him but he ain't been much of a pain in any games I've played against him, and I am awful and usually squishy as some forumers can attest.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    xin is a fucking ludicrous champ what is wrong with you

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    xin is a fucking ludicrous champ what is wrong with you

mostly play with noobs (I'm like level 11), so that's probably the problem.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Xin and Malphite working together is hilarious

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    xin + anyone is like oh okay

Faynor on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    At least Xin isn't Heimer, I guess.

Except there are a few decent counters to Heimer.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    JohnHam wrote: »

Better steer clear of the LoL forums, then, unless they're going to nerf him slightly with the update. The Xin hate seems pretty overblown IMO, I haven't played him but he ain't been much of a pain in any games I've played against him, and I am awful and usually squishy as some forumers can attest.

XZ is absolutely on of the strongest DPS champion in the game, no question about it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    XZ is pretty powerful but if there's someone out that can snare him I don't think he poses quite as much of a threat

if you don't have someone on your team that can snare then you might have bigger problems than XZ

e: (He's still ridiculous though don't get me wrong)

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i really haven't found xin pissing me off as say

heimerdinger

or fucking teemo god damn i hate that little bitch

Kovak on
  • Options
    SyrellisSyrellis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Names Syrellis, can you please add me to the OP? :D

I usually play as Ashe, I really enjoy her. And have a decent grasp of the game... still learning good builds, but that doesn't take too long to figure out.

Syrellis on
This discussion has been closed.