As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

okay so demons souls thread

PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
this game is fun as shit and it's kicking my ass. i'm a soldier stuck on the tower knight. i almost beat his stupid face in last night but then he got lucky and stomped my ass in to the ground. talk about how infuriatingly awesome everything about this game is. i think we had a thread but i just started last week yeeeeeah

pmdunk.jpg
Phonehand on

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    How do you pronounce this.

It's a tongue twister.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If the tower knight is too hard you might want to try your hand at some other areas first. Stonefang tunnel should be easy with a good shield and spear.

Also, magic/holy is good against the towerknight. I found a blessed mace from somewhere that absolutely decimated him.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yeah i poked around at some of the other areas but i get snagged in different places. after fighting him a couple of times he is not that intimidating, i just screw up for one moment and he reams me because he does so much damage.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is a good game! But it is so fucking hard. I haven't really even touched it in ages because god damn.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The spell you get from his soul if you start using spells (And you should) is so fucking handy later in the game.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Artreus wrote: »
    This is a good game! But it is so fucking hard. I haven't really even touched it in ages because god damn.

it is surprisingly addictive
    i just have to take rage breaks

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah! beat tower knight with the starting fucking sword. This game is so damn satisfying.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    How do you pronounce this.

It's a tongue twister.

dee-mon-s so-ll-s

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DocWalrusDocWalrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This might be the first time I've posted in a goddamn year.

Level 112 or so, started NG++ this morning. PvP is still an even matchup, obviously, but I'm cleaving through PvE shit with my +5 Crushing Knight Sword like Bruce Campbell at a zombie convention. I'm Pyrowalrus on PSN if anyone around 100-120 wants to phantom it up.

DocWalrus on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Maaan I made a big ol' thread with a huge OP for this game.

Well, not that huge. It was nothing compared to my STALKER thread, at least.

But yeah, this game is fantastic. I still haven't finished a complete playthrough. Going to work on that in the upcoming week.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this is a cool game but 'infuriatingly awesome' is a poor way to put it. it's occasionally brilliant but it's also legitemately, unneccessarily infuriating. at one stage the latter took over and i haven't gone back to it

p.s. the best way to beat almost all the bosses is to be extremely cheap

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    This is a game I really want to buy. Need a hard game to kick my ass.

Rinder on
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I really feel like this game is like the dungeon crawler version of monster hunter, except for the crafting system they both share the, " why is this game so hard, HOLY SHIT THAT WAS SO WORTH IT" Kind of deal. Because man am I tired of thoughtless gameplay.

HellaJeff on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I simply do not see the draw in this game.

I am a quitter. I would die in the same spot three times and never play it again.

#pipe on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    #pipe wrote: »

I am a quitter. I would die in the same spot three times and never play it again.

Because, on the fourth time, you beat that spot.

And you feel like a gorram Gaming Rockstar.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It took me a while to get past this point.

But when I was finally able to beat Vanguard in the tutorial, I felt pretty pleased with myself.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this is the reason i want a ps3

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Because, on the fourth time, you beat that spot.

And you feel like a gorram Gaming Rockstar.

gorram

gaming

rockstar

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    see i felt more like the game deliberately made you feel less satisfied about beating half the scenarios because it's a lot easier to just glitch the hell out of it to get past tricky bits. finally getting that bow to +4 isn't all that satisfying when all it does is make cheating your way through the boss fights by wedging yourself behind a rock just so marginally quicker

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »
    see i felt more like the game deliberately made you feel less satisfied about beating half the scenarios because it's a lot easier to just glitch the hell out of it to get past tricky bits. finally getting that bow to +4 isn't all that satisfying when all it does is make cheating your way through the boss fights by wedging yourself behind a rock just so marginally quicker

I'm by no means trying to be defensive, but how far did you get in the game? This is true of some of the boss fights - but when you hit a lot of the later ones, it is very difficult to beat them in the way you suggest. Moreover, in a lot of cases, it isn't the boss fights that's the hard part - it's getting past the dungeon on the way there and then still having enough in your tank to beat the boss.

I didn't mind that I could beat some of these guys using glitches, because oh my god were some of the levels hard, and some of the other non-glitchable bosses were damn near impossible (Firelurker kicked my ass way more times than I'd care to admit. Turns out he eventually gets smart enough to run past the rock you're hiding behind).

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    additionally

the best way to avoid having glitches ruin your fun is in choosing not to do things that glitch the game

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    it depends on the rock

oh and i beat 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1 and that's about where i wasn't having fun anymore

that took me about 40 hours of playing. if you're spending that much time on a game you want to be damned sure you're still having fun

edit: you know i think many of the bosses are balanced in such a way that without stupid amounts of grinding the same short levels or tricky glitching, the only way to beat them is with help of other souls. that's fine. i think that's a noble idea to encourage multiplayer. but that wasn't explained well enough until i was deep in the game (and even then only indirectly) and i could rarely find anyone to help me, so i figured i wasn't quite playing it right and it just felt hollow

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    this game is too hard for me

I see the appeal but I'm far too wussy for the challenge it entails

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kovak wrote: »
    additionally

the best way to avoid having glitches ruin your fun is in choosing not to do things that glitch the game

ugh I hate it when games have glitches in them that I am able to take advantage of if I want to and they make the game way too easy if I do those things that you aren't supposed to be able to do but can

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    they don't make the game way to easy

the game is still terribly hard

it just drives you into a position so hopeless and confounded that the only forseeable way to move on is by using every cheap trick you can find

i'm not sorry i beat the bosses that way, i wouldn't have gotten to check out a lot of the cool level design if i hadn't, but it certainly didn't do a good job of making me feel satisfied

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Demons Souls has one of the most clever uses of cooperative (and competitive) multiplayer I've ever seen.

I think people, when playing it, have a tendency to basically play it online in solo mode. This is acceptable, but you can have a lot more fun if you're playing together with someone else.

When you first come into a level, if you're in soul form, just drop your blue soul stone right at the entrance. A lot of people drop them right before the boss, but this is by no means a requirement. Play through the level once (or twice, or three times!) as a blue shiny, helping somone else out, until you get a feel for the level. Then, rock through on your own - and bring a couple blue souls with you, to return the favor.

This is also a great way to get souls because, if you die as a blue phantom in someone else's game (assuming it wasn't to a Black Phantom), you don't lose any of the souls that you collected playing with them.

Then, of course, you can always be the Black Phantom ...

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    yeah, the game really feels like it just works when taking advantage of the multiplayer features.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So I got invaded today. In walks a blacksoul, dressed down but looking like a caster. I'm all super armor and I catch him on a cliff. Snicker-Snack off goes his head.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The appeal of the game is the challenge because it forces you to get better. You die horribly, then later on, you go back and slay everyone with one hand behind your back.

Also OP needs demons.

demonssoulspic1.jpg

I'm at 1-3.

I've yet to try co-op, I take on an area solo, then maybe try it later.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    i'd love to do some MP if you want some help
    i figure i am about your level
    my psn is phrizzo

also is there an easy way to change a world tendency to white?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Phonehand wrote: »
    i'd love to do some MP if you want some help
    i figure i am about your level
    my psn is phrizzo

also is there an easy way to change a world tendency to white?

Never die when you have your body and beat all the bosses without dying.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like the look of this game, but I already have like 5 RPGs in my backlog that I've barely even scratched the surface of. I don't need another bajillion or so hours to add to that.

Flay on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    in my opinion this game could have benefited greatly if it were a lot longer. most of the game is simply repeating the same dungeon over and over to grind your soul level. something with more zelda'esque like exploration would have been great. the combat and everything was fun and all but I just got tired of the same old over and over.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    There's a pretty great way to grind later on, so grinding never was that bad for me.

Mostly only gave it a couple of runs if I needed some special arrows or something for a demon.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i love this game but i never finished it

i got stuck fighting the hero in the swamp area with the hugeass butcher's knife weapon (the same one that i used) except that cunt can run freely in the muck and i move like a tranquilized sloth with down syndrome

it was just too frustrating

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    in my opinion this game could have benefited greatly if it were a lot longer. most of the game is simply repeating the same dungeon over and over to grind your soul level. something with more zelda'esque like exploration would have been great. the combat and everything was fun and all but I just got tired of the same old over and over.

yeah

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Fallout wrote: »
    i love this game but i never finished it

i got stuck fighting the hero in the swamp area with the hugeass butcher's knife weapon (the same one that i used) except that cunt can run freely in the muck and i move like a tranquilized sloth with down syndrome

it was just too frustrating

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's the end of the forest map.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i was playing this last night, my dude is sitting around soul level 39...then i died trying to kill the adjudicator and rage quit. screw that guy and his stupid tongue and his micro sized lair that he all but fills up with his fatass making it nigh impossible to roll around.
    i'll probably try to kill him again tonight

spazmojack on