As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K]Imperial Inf'ty Uplifting Primer Ed: So Dark Eldar are a thing I guess?

• Options
    Captain ScurvyCaptain Scurvy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    altmann wrote: »
    Question, I just finished the ultramarines omnibus, and uriel just did his death quest. Now, I had just started Courage and Honor but I'm not sure thats the next book since he just returns to ultramar. Is the killing grounds the next book after the omnibus? If so i need to hit up a bookstore since i was planning on reading it on the airplane tomorrow.

ill bring my copy tuesday altmann you can borrow it.

Captain Scurvy on
    [Enter Witty Catch Phrase Here]
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nax wrote: »
    And every other was upside down

sorry to shit on your parade here, but its a book if its written upside down then you just....turn it over :P

Every other page, though. I imagine it would be pretty annoying :P

SJ on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Question, I just finished the ultramarines omnibus, and uriel just did his death quest. Now, I had just started Courage and Honor but I'm not sure thats the next book since he just returns to ultramar. Is the killing grounds the next book after the omnibus? If so i need to hit up a bookstore since i was planning on reading it on the airplane tomorrow.

I think you missed the part where he's going to buy it to read on the place tomorrow? :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nax, I think u offered but I thought courage and honor was the next one.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SJ is criticizing bad sci fi in the plastic mans thread in a webcomic forum. Such standards! :P

I do want to paint a Uriel Ventris mini though...

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SJ is criticizing bad sci fi in the plastic mans thread in a webcomic forum. Such standards! :P

To be fair, 40k is really just science fantasy. And it's not that it's bad sci-fi, it's just bad writing. He doesn't seem to understand the roll of the codex astartes at all, which makes the main characters ramblings about it especially terrible to read. In fact, most of the Ultramarines seem like idiots.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I think you missed the part where he's going to buy it to read on the place tomorrow? :P

yes, i totally did i forgot hes going on vacation damnit. BTW nax whats with gamestop already offereing D3 preorder is there even a possible street date on it yet?

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dude Ultramarines are the awesomest! Roberto Guilimandro or something is the man!

They like, created the space marines! Here, have the cliffnotes version of the index startes as posted by Roberto on another website no one should ever go to:

1277722097291.jpg

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I think you could do a cool one of him too, if you want altmann i have the spare sicarious helmet head. Which would fit well as it has that honorific on top. Just have to find a good sword body. Maybe a honor guard figure or somehting.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    SlapnutsSlapnuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was under the assumption that Eldar are a good shooting army, until this weekend.

Today my cousin and I played a 1500 point Eldar v. Space Wolves game with a weird deployment idea taken from a Tyranid mission in the Battle Missions Book. Basically the table was sectioned off into sixths with an objective in each sixth. The three areas on the right were 1,3,5 the three areas on the left were 2,4,6. We alternated deployment and had to roll a dice. Whatever number you got, is where your army deployed. So the board looked like this:

Also, any unit except for vehicles were scoring.

I used Njal (first time ever - holy shit is he awesome) w/ WG Terminators, Wolf Priest with Grey Hunters in a Rhino. 2 Grey Hunter Squads in Rhinos and 2 Long Fang Squads.

Both of my Long Fang Squads ended up in section 1 with absolutely no height or cover.

Njal and his squad, along with a Grey Hunter squad ended up in section 6 with a War Walker, Farseer and Warlocks and Wraithguard unit.

Another Grey Hunter squad was alone in section 2. While my Wolf Priest squad ended up in section 3 with a squad of guardians

Everything else my cousin had, including a Falcon with nothing in it, Falcon with Dire Avengers, Wraithlord and another squad of Guardians ended up in section 5.

The recap is quite literally all death on his side and all awesome on mine.

My shooting and assaults were ridiculous, to the point where I was hitting and wounding 80% of the time -- while my cousin couldn't make any saves.

By turn three, Njal's squad and the Grey Hunters had taken out the Farseer, Wraithguard and 2 squads of Guardians. The only wound Njal took all game was one 6,6 roll I managed on a Perils test in turn 4.

My Long Fangs knocked the Wraithlord out by turn two.

By turn 4 I had secured 5 of the 6 objectives and would have had the 6th on Turn 6. In total I lost 3 Grey Hunters and one WG Terminator, while I killed everything he had save for one Falcon. (My Meltas, which were 6" away, due to a pretty awesome daisy-chain from the objective, stopped hitting on the very last turn.)

Today was a very good day for the Sons of Russ at my house.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My thread! My beautiful thread! This is because I've started playing Fantasy isn't it?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2010
    SJ, I can DEFINTELY relate to the codex gayness in the ultramarine books but they're not complete shit. I managed to get the missing book as well as the new hours heresy book, nemesis or whatever. Its about assassins so that should be rad.

Slap, man I need to use njal more. I always forget he has so many rules. Did you take a 4+invul against the perils? Also he has chooser and like extra CC shit and a storm caller power and a 3+ psychic hood (rune staff) instead of the normal 4+. Glad to hear you whipped ass. Did your brother go into apathy about his eldar?

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    HuntzyHuntzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually thought that the smurf omnibus was pretty good because almost everyone but uriel and pasanius has their dick in the codex

Huntzy on
  • Options
    drama_drama_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It Burns wrote: »
    Dude Ultramarines are the awesomest! Roberto Guilimandro or something is the man!

They like, created the space marines! Here, have the cliffnotes version of the index startes as posted by Roberto on another website no one should ever go to:

1277722097291.jpg

looks like a primer to being an ork translated into comprehensible gothic

drama_ on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

yes, i totally did i forgot hes going on vacation damnit. BTW nax whats with gamestop already offereing D3 preorder is there even a possible street date on it yet?

Do you realize that you could have preordered SC2 like.... six years ago? :P GameStop doesn't give a shit when things actually come out... They just want your money.

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My thread! My beautiful thread! This is because I've started playing Fantasy isn't it?

Shh don't look it's ok just to walk away

Sigh I got the Bonesinger and a Autarch the other day now I am dusting off my eldar army seeing what I need to repair and repaint
    Help me!

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SJ, I can DEFINTELY relate to the codex gayness in the ultramarine books but they're not complete shit. I managed to get the missing book as well as the new hours heresy book, nemesis or whatever. Its about assassins so that should be rad.

Slap, man I need to use njal more. I always forget he has so many rules. Did you take a 4+invul against the perils? Also he has chooser and like extra CC shit and a storm caller power and a 3+ psychic hood (rune staff) instead of the normal 4+. Glad to hear you whipped ass. Did your brother go into apathy about his eldar?

Yeah I read the first book and halfway through the second. I'll finish that one off sooner or later. The storylines aren't terrible, but the way the guy writes is very obtuse and repetitive. Yeah, I Uriel, I know how you feel about your old captain. And the codex astartes. And that one guy in your company you don't really get along with. I get it already.

e: Oh and slapnuts tell your friend to never take guardians, they're terrible in every way.

SJ on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just started reading Titanicus, much better than I thought it would be.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    drama_ wrote: »
    It Burns wrote: »

1277722097291.jpg

looks like a primer to being an ork translated into comprehensible gothic

Well, if the powered-armor boot fits...

see317 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just started reading Titanicus, much better than I thought it would be.
    Titanicus is amazing. I have never wanted to command a god-machine more, and I always kinda wanted a go...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just started reading <book by Dan Abnett> and it is way better than I thought it would be.

Seriously though I wish most BL authors weren't terrible :(

SJ on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do you realize that you could have preordered SC2 like.... six years ago? :P GameStop doesn't give a shit when things actually come out... They just want your money.

Reserve a copy of Duke Nukem: Forever while you're at it.

Heffling on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SJ wrote: »
    In fact, most of the Ultramarines seem like idiots.

Wait you mean a group of people that recruit only the most vicious deadly fighters, before subjecting them to a series of rigorous physical tests, followed by painful surgery, that only a few survive long enough to become the elite space marine that spends every waking moment either fighting or praying, might in fact produce an organization with the equivalent education of a pack of 5th graders?

You know the quickest way to convert a space marine to Chaos? Lock him in a room with nothing but a book entitles "The Big Book of the Emperors Favorite Word Problems"

Damn now i want to draw a marine sitting there reading this book with the caption "The emperor has 5 bolters... Screw this I'm worshiping Khorne."

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mental conditioning is also part of the marine regimen. The issue isn't with the fluff, or the ultramarines, or space marines. It's with the guy who wrote The Ultramarines novels. He just doesn't get it, and it's painfully obvious whenever he writes about the codex in particular. The codex that the ultramarines revere isn't a straight jacket of idiocy, it's the ultimate in battlefield knowledge for the marines, describing a variety of ways to approach a variety of situations in a manner that the marines can best take advantage of: lightning speed, shock warfare, endurance, adaptability, etc, etc. Like the Emprah said, They shall have tactics, such that no foe can best them

The Ultramarines in that book series do not do any of those things.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Yeah, took the save. Ended up with a 5 but got a 2 on the re-roll. Tempest of the Storm is pretty cool, my wife actually kept reminding me about it because she wanted to see what it would do next. It only ramped up to a 6 (which is some 18" assault rule, IIRC) -- pretty much the other times it got me the 24" difficult/dangerous rule.

His Rune staff negated Fortune when his Farseer tried to cast it. I was actually pretty fortunate (see what I did thur) that Njal ended up close enough to that Farseer to take him out, because he had some rule about making me roll 3 dice on perils tests. Ouch.

My cousin still likes his Eldar. He took the whole thing as a learning experience, which is good because he literally played his first games ever with them this weekend. I think his main problem was that he was spreading his points too thin and only buying units he had models for (6 scorpions, 6 harlequins, etc...). I explained that sometimes this game is just about having enough mans to get enough dice to actually make something happen. Sure, I can take just 3 Long Fangs with Heavy Bolters (which are my deadliest unit), but that's not going to produce a lot of hits, and subsequently, wounds to really be really effective. I suggested that next time he try taking fewer types of units, but more mans in those units.

Also, another thing that really hurt him was that he was reading Heavy Weapons platform rules wrong so he was never moving his Guardians -- which were basically just waiting in a line for JotWW or Grey Hunters, to destroy.

Overall, it was a good experience for me too as we got in enough games that I'm more comfortable with my Wolves and I'm really comfortable with the game rules now. My one regret is that I still haven't tried T-Wolf Cavalry. D'oh!

Oh, and a few pages back someone had asked about my army transport case. It's the smallest one they have, but it holds my entire Wolves army which is about 4 squads of Grey hunters, 15 Blood Claws, 2 squads of long fangs, scouts, a ton of terminators and special units, 2 rhinos and a crusader -- plus my one unit of sisters and an assassin. My only complaint is the glue on the trays sticks to my mans -- and has ripped a few arms off. But if you leave two cubes instead of just 1 up to the edge, you shouldn't have the problem.

Slapnuts on
    There are some acts so ruthless, some deeds so unpalatable, that only the Vlka Fenryka are capable of undertaking them. It's what we were bred for. It's the way we were designed. Without qualm or sentiment, without hesitation or whimsy. We take pride in being the only Astartes who will never, under any circumstances, refuse to strike on the Allfather's behalf, no matter what the target, no matter what the cause.
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Njal has a 3+ invulnerable save, not 4+!

And also the only marine badass enough to use a bolt pistol in terminator armor.

His 3+ negation pretty much makes any army with a psychic backbone cry.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    KrakaggarKrakaggar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Would you say that they're actually Sub-parmarines? :winky:

Krakaggar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Matrias, Njal has runic terminator armor (as an upgrade) which is 4+. are you sure you're not thinking about his rune staff? Or am I missing some wargear?

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Heffling wrote: »

Reserve a copy of Duke Nukem: Forever while you're at it.

Done and done... the pimply faced kid at the store asked me though if i wanted to put down money on D3. I looked at him, said its a blizzard game, and he just stared at me as if i was speaking greek sigh.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »

Sigh I got the Bonesinger and a Autarch the other day now I am dusting off my eldar army seeing what I need to repair and repaint
    Help me!

Quick, send them all to me.
    That'll help!

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »

Help me!

Quick, send them all to me.
    That'll help!

But it's painted as Saim Hann and it's very old
    Picture22.jpg

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The bonesinger goes for loads on ebay by the way

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Slap, due to some setbacks at work (namely a leak above my server rack) my package was delayed till today. Its in the mail now, also included are a bag of these rune bases paint vagrant gave me a while back. They serve no use to me, but i figure your cousin can use them for his eldar. Theve just been growing dust on my shelf. Put them to a good home.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Awesome. Thanks Scurvy. He will definitely appreciate them I'm sure!

Slapnuts on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i just found out they are doing a series of audio books about garro post the eseinstien... awesome.

Captain Scurvy on
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like GW's audio books. They're a lot of fun.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Audiobooks are great. They are the reason MP3 players and long bus rides to work were invented.

Is that bonesinger a Gamesday model? There are some pretty sweet gamesday models out there.

saluksic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Krakaggar wrote: »

Would you say that they're actually Sub-parmarines? :winky:

My mind is literally blown. This is wonderful.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    saluksic wrote: »

Is that bonesinger a Gamesday model? There are some pretty sweet gamesday models out there.

He's limited edition, he only came in the big eldar box they released whenever the codex came out years ago.

Dayspring on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ok so im in the book store buying my copy of nemisis and the guy checking me out on register looks like a geek. He turns to me and asks if ive read the rest of them. I say yes, he asks if i play, i say yes, he asks what army, i say spacewolves and ultramarines. He starts talking about his ultra's and then without promting proceeds to totally rip on blood angels as emo vampire fags for 5 minutes. Priceless.

Captain Scurvy on