As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buy alienware?

futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in the market for a new predominantly gaming computer and I'm looking at alienware to fill my need. I've put together a $1500 system but I have a few reservations which I was hoping someone could chime in on thought:
  • I'm probably going to finance the computer... does any company other than dell do this for gaming computers?
  • Anything about to come out for computers that would make a purchase within the next 2 months inopportune?
  • Dual or single video cards (I run 2 monitors)? Is this even a decision thing?
  • anything else I should be thinking about

futility on

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If you or anyone you know are comfortable building a computer, then $1500 and this thread will get you a lot more power than what you'll be able to buy from Alienware. It's not for everyone, I realize, but it's really remarkable how much money you can save and/or invest in better hardware by putting it together yourself. Alternatively, even if you're not building a system yourself, the people who frequent that thread ought to be able to tell you about impending hardware revisions that might influence even a purchase from alienware.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ever since they were purchased by Dell, I've noticed a distinct quality decrease in the Alienware brand. The case looks cool but the parts are expensive and tend to be overpriced. If you go over to the alienware site and spec out their prices against the stuff you find on newegg, just component by component, you'll find they are really gouging you for what is essentially is a plastic box.

Do you feel comfortable building your own, or do you want an off-the-peg model?

WildEEP on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Do any component places do financing? Because that's what he said he was most likely going to need to do.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I've built my own computer before and have found that the benefit of having service generally outweighs the saving... that and I can't finance computer parts

futility on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Newegg finances part orders over a certain dollar value

WildEEP on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Buying Alienware at full price isn't cheap, but I was lucky enough to get my last system during a sale on desktops PCs, and probably spent about $50 more than I would've had I bought the parts individually. I don't know if they have any on now, but they often have Back to School sales in September, so if you can hold off for another month or two, you might be able to justify a pre-built system along with a spiffy case for not a lot more than you would've paid at another pre-built place. And I too value the service warantee, wherein a little peace of mind can fill in for any other cost discrepancy.

At the very least I'd suggest using their system customizer to design the system you want / can afford, then pricing out those parts individually (and checking other online or local stores) and seeing just how big the price differential is. Around here a lot of people scoff at pre-built systems like you're being massively overcharged (and to be fair, in many cases you are), but personally I've seen that under the right circumstances, it's not nearly as bad a deal as it's often made out to be.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd really, really recommend you don't finance a computer. I know the terms you get from Dell and Alienware are pretty bad compared to just a regular credit card. Interest is really high on their financing. Try to get a regular credit card with a decent rate instead of financing.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alienware's products are expensive, but the aesthetic is second to none (well, as far as mainstream commercial cases go) and what you get pre-assembled will be an efficiently cooled rig with the power to match just about anything people with rigs they've built themselves have.

If you're comfortable building your own computer, you can definitely save some big money by just buying the parts and putting it all together - but if you don't want the hassle, Alienware is about the best pre-assembled gaming PC stuff you can buy.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aren't other pre-built manufacturers just-as-good/better but cheaper than Alienware? Like Falconwest?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I have a line of credit with Newegg. 6months no payments over $500, 12 months over $1000. Just make sure you actually pay it off before that time and you get to avoid any interest/finance charges. I only use it for large part orders, but I do find it useful to have on hand.

Artereis on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Aren't other pre-built manufacturers just-as-good/better but cheaper than Alienware? Like Falconwest?

I didn't like my brief foray into Falcon Northwest rigs, mainly because they were using really cheap-o heat sinks that I had to replace - in fairness, though, that was a few years back. In fact, I should qualify my statements about Alienware, too - it's been 6 years since I've owned an Alienware machine.

EDIT: There's also the case aesthetic. Here's Falcon Northwest's 'Talon':

image-talon.png

vs Alienware's 'Aurora':

alienware-aurora-design1-new.jpg

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Sorry, I just don't remember if there are other builders, Falconwest was the only name I could remember, I didn't remember if they were good or not.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Another thing to consider is if you buy a full computer from places like newegg or NCIX, they can do all the initial setup and building for you if you pay them a little extra.

Oh, and I'm running two monitors on a single card, and I have no performance decreases.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't see the option in Newegg for them putting the parts together D:

They do offer 12 months no interest on orders over $500 though.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, new egg has a pretty good financing plan, granted you qualify with your credit. Building can be a huge pain in the ass, especially when it comes to maintaining the rig (keeping it free of dust, replacing parts, etc..) that just doesn't seem to happen as often with pre-built rigs.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Many years ago I bought a barebones rig from TigerDirect, I just had to add a few components to what they pre-assembled for me. I had no complaints at the time, but things may have changed since then.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KathrisKathris __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Didnt read the rest of this thread.

I bought an Alienware 1.5 years ago.

I will never buy Alienware again.

Kathris on
    673478-1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kathris wrote: »
    Didnt read the rest of this thread.

I bought an Alienware 1.5 years ago.

I will never buy Alienware again.

What made your experience so negative?

Personally I've bought 3 to date over the past 6 or 7 years and haven't had any notable problems.

Hell, they've held up so well I usually hook a buddy up with them when I get a new one, he slaps in some more RAM and it gets a second life with him and his family.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So doing the math in my head it still looks like buying a prebuilt computer is still almost equal to building (maybe save $2-300 but w/o service). I understand that my options are more limited by this route, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on why that really matters.

I have awesome credit so I'm not going to have to worry about qualifying and I plan to pay the whole thing off well before I accrue any interest

Also... holy shit the equivalent falcon computer cost waaaay more than an alienware and no cool lights wtf

futility on
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    In my experience I always saved money on the things I was able to salvage off the old one to use on the new one. OS, maybe hardrive, stuff like that.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's up to you, of course, but you can save more or less by building your own depending on exactly what you want.

I just clicked through that site to build a rig equivalent to the one I'm about to buy parts for on Newegg, and it ended up costing $1599—although I'm only paying $1134 for the components I'm getting. I'm actually getting an extra gig of RAM, too—seems you can only get multiples of 3 gigs from AlienWare; I want 4.

I don't know what's inside the AlienWare, of course—maybe it has a really high-grade motherboard and a fantastic power supply or something—but that's a pretty big difference in price. You also get to learn a lot more by building your own (while assuming greater risk), which may or may not be of value to you.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Alienware is junk. they were bought out by Dell a couple years ago. that should already warn you away.

if not...

Alienware uses junk components in the building of their PCs. near their original founding, Alienware actually did use top of the line components to build their machines, and you could select various good-brand components to go into your system. you were paying Alienware for the labor of assembly, software install, and testing, as well as the Alienware aesthetics.

now you're paying for a fancier Dell machine using absolutely horrid parts, along with Dell's subpar customer service.

seriously, just build your own machine. you could probably even build a powerful rig for $800 or EVEN LESS with much higher quality components.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    *sigh* I think I'm now just going to buy my own parts and pay some kid $100 to deal with the config frustrations

futility on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    futility wrote: »
    *sigh* I think I'm now just going to buy my own parts and pay some kid $100 to deal with the config frustrations

Most local PC shops will assemble a system for you. I tried to put my system together, but it turns out I am not at all handy with a screwdriver. I turned up with a bucket of computer parts and my local PC shop put it all together for me. Careful - I don't mean PC World here - go to a real local place staffed by proper nerds.

For even greater laziness, they often do custom systems too.

I've heard Alienware is rubbish, and the only thing they have over your local custom build PC shop is that they come in nice cases.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Oh, and I just remembered the reason why I go pre-built; my first couple computers came from a small shop, and that place was nothing but trouble. Had to have the PC serviced several times, they fucked up at least one hardware installation, and while the price was acceptable the frustration added up over the years.

Forar on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Oh, and I just remembered the reason why I go pre-built; my first couple computers came from a small shop, and that place was nothing but trouble.

I've had nothing but quality from small shops. You might equally get a bad job from Alienware, or the spotty kid down the street. That's life. Try and get local recommendations, but even that doesn't guarantee quality.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm actually getting an extra gig of RAM, too—seems you can only get multiples of 3 gigs from AlienWare; I want 4.
    I'm assuming you were looking at a setup that used tri channel rather then dual.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

I've built four of my own computers, and not had a single problem with any of them(save for the case I ordered took two weeks to get to me; but with some ingenuity I set the components into a cardboard box). I didn't find it difficult at all to set up the things, in fact I really enjoyed it. It was like legos more than anything. Note that I had no prior experience, and only used resources from the internet.

This is what I picked out, comparable to a $1760 Alienware. You'll need to add a case fan or two($20) and a box($20-$5000); I've also been out of the loop for a year or three, you'll want to run that by some more current tech experts. You'll also need to get a copy of windows if you don't already have one.

Whatever you decide to do, don't do Crossfire/SLI. It's a terrible waste of money.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like cyberpowerpc. They sell their systems on newegg. My roommate and I got PCs from there.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    those computers look pretty decent and reasonable

futility on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got my PC through cyberpower for a great price and so did my buddy. I think both had loose components but it was nothing that couldn't be handled fairly easily considering we don't work much with computers.

Definitely go with them if you're not concerned with aesthetics.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I don't care much for computer aesthetics so long as we're dealing with just alternative forms of big metal boxes... only thing I'm going to worry about here is will it fit under my desk and be quiet

futility on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Cool, I'm glad people agree with me. Their prices were super reasonable and everything came packed in nicely. Absolutely no bloatware or stuff you'll hate all the reviews said and we found it to be true. I got mine in April 2009 for $1050, and my roommate got his April 2010 for $650-700. We play SC2 on Ultra all the way.

I could've built one but was busy with life and didn't want to deal with it at the time.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Instead of finance go to a bank. Interest rates and stuff should be much lower.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I like cyberpowerpc. They sell their systems on newegg. My roommate and I got PCs from there.

You can also put yours together piece by piece on their website, which is what I did a year ago. If you are careful with what you put in (i.e. go light on easy to replace/upgrade components like video card and RAM) you can get away with a good deal.

If I remember right, its all the extras that will jack up the price (offers to tie up your cables, over priced fans and RAM, etc.), while the core components like your motherboard and processor are pretty much right along the lines that you will find on Newegg.com.

But if you aren't feeling too picky, the systems they put on Newegg can be a pretty good deal as well.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    nice... cyberpowerpc is having a sale today too

edit: it looks like I'm going to go with this

unless someone has any changes they think I should make per bad combinations of parts

edit2:stupid company being in California so I have to pay taxes

futility on
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Clicking that shows a 30GB ssd and no other storage. Unless you have a hard disk you're going to put in you need a data drive too.

Nathrak on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    let's pretend that link is an updated one where I added a 500gb drive for data

As I understand it having a ssd drive is awesome for having your os and the programs you often run installed on to.

futility on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    nice... cyberpowerpc is having a sale today too

edit: it looks like I'm going to go with this

unless someone has any changes they think I should make per bad combinations of parts

edit2:stupid company being in California so I have to pay taxes

There's a 5% off code up top on the left.

You should choose to get the free game that is free. Did I mention it costs $0?

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Yup. In that case it looks alright, though I didn't look up reviews on all the parts or anything. It looks like you could get Just Cause 2 for free with just a click and nothing you're required to buy. If you were going to buy Starcraft 2 anyway you could get the cheapest Intel SSD for +$34 and get Starcraft 2 for free and come out ahead.

Still need the data drive of course just musing!

Nathrak on