As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hell, it's about time!

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I will be getting this once I sort out the region locking thing

Blizzard said that folks in Australia will be able to play with either SE Asia or North America. Don't know if it's been implemented quite yet, but it'll probably happen before the rest of region switching gets figured out

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    oh man before the specter mission when
    nova

shows up I was like "heh"

also, fuck yes
    zeratul

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Hey so are the campaign completion achievements subsets of each other? IE Will completing on Hard give me the Normal and Casual? Or do you really have to play through four times, half on pathetically easy settings to get the achievements?

Because that'd be dumb.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Hey so are the campaign completion achievements subsets of each other? IE Will completing on Hard give me the Normal and Casual? Or do you really have to play through four times, half on pathetically easy settings to get the achievements?

Because that'd be dumb.

Pretty sure you get them all. I keep getting hard/normal achievements on brutal.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am thinking of subbing wow again.

Someone stop me.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, it seems I'm a bit incompetent as I'm having trouble getting the "Kill all hatcheries" achievement for Zero Hour. Is the problem that I'm just not building enough marines before going?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

Someone stop me.

Do it!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

Someone stop me.

Do it!

But...

I dunno...

I don't know anyone to play it with...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    Ok, it seems I'm a bit incompetent as I'm having trouble getting the "Kill all hatcheries" achievement for Zero Hour. Is the problem that I'm just not building enough marines before going?

waiting longer to get more marines could definitely help, as a critical mass bioball can wreck shit like crazy

if i remember right, there's some zerg bases that are wayyyy better defended than others. You can just hit the less fortified ones to take out the hatcheries, and leave the stronger ones alone (you only need 3 hatchery kills right?)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »
    But Protoss are so fun

I honestly feel intimidated playing Zerg. Is there a trick or a standard on how you should hotkey your hatcheries & queens?

My system is generally to hotkey only my queens.

Each hatchery gets a queen. Whenever I want to look at my hatchery, I double-click the hotkey for the queen associated with that hatchery. This makes it a lot easier to remember to Spawn Larvae; the first thing I do if the Hatchery doesn't have eggs already on it is spawn larvae. Then I click-select the hatchery and go from there.

How in the eff do you macro during battle?

I do hatches 6, queens 7 and spawn larvae on the minimap. I want to work on making my newest hatch 5 as well to focus on making drones there, and then hitting 6 shhhhhhhhhhhhhh (I basically only mass hydras at this point, haha)
    Practice.

Lots and lots of practice.

You ever watch Pros do that mess? They analyze a situation and decide what to do in a heartbeat, then immediately switch back to macro, then switch back to check on the progress, then switch back again....

It's disgusting.

Yes, my point is that your method takes way longer and is thus harder to do in battle. I am impressed you have time to do it. Mind, you may play like me and not even watch battles, just a-move and get back to macroing because your apm can't handle multitasking...

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

Someone stop me.

You complain enough about WoW without even being a subscriber
    Think of the children

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »

Someone stop me.

You complain enough about WoW without even being a subscriber
    Think of the children

I only complain because I loveeeee.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OH MY GOOD LORD
    TASSADAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Also,
    I cannot WAIT to witness the coming apocalypse

before bed tonight

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    OH MY GOOD LORD

Also,

before bed tonight

Use your phoenixes well.

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It is frigging hard
    Here's what I did:
    Salvage the starting bunkers immediately, and pull back onto the ramp for much much easier defense. You can hold them off with 0 casualties for about 10 minutes before you even need to build another 2 bunkers, and that'll last you the rest of the time.
    Get to 4 barracks asap, 3 with reactors and 1 with tech lab. Pump pump pump pump marines and medics. Keep the SCVs coming. Grab the little resource packs asap to get ahead of the curve, but don't let your expedition get caught by one of the attack waves.

Once you have like 3 or 4 pages of dudes in your mob, go to the lower left base. Move the mob in until their units block you, kill the stupid asshole spine crawlers, and then get the 3 hatcheries. The top left base will be pretty easy after that. Make sure you start attacking by about 5 or 6 minutes remaining, or the scripted stream of zerg will ruin everything.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    OH MY GOOD LORD

Also,

before bed tonight

Use your phoenixes well.

Who needs phoenixes when you can mass carrier?

Or void ray.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Isoldae wrote: »
    OH MY GOOD LORD

Also,

before bed tonight

Use your phoenixes well.

Or void ray.

Graviton beam is so good during that mission.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    OH MY GOOD LORD

Also,

before bed tonight

Use your phoenixes well.

Or void ray.

Yeah, it was very useful.

But you don't need to make any more phoenixes after they give you them, if you are careful with your mans.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So by the end of the campaign is money plentiful enough to get everything? My hoarders instinct is making me really conservative with upgrades / mercs

No.

You will need to make choices about what you want.

Which I really kind of like, even though I'm usually a completionist. There are achievements for Dumping all of your Money into one category or another, too.

ok good to know. Those achievements were really the only reason I was wondering, and I may be screwed already as I've already spent some money down both paths. Oh well, something for next time

Well, there's one for each area.

So like, Infantry has its own Achievement, Vehicles, Starships, etc.

And then there's one for Mercenaries.

sarukun on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Haha I'm on that mission and I just got holy fucking raped

Doing the campaign on brutal and it's pretty tough at points. HNGNG TYCHUS SLOW DOWN YOU STUPID CRIMINAL REDNECK

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It is frigging hard
    Here's what I did:
    Salvage the starting bunkers immediately, and pull back onto the ramp for much much easier defense. You can hold them off with 0 casualties for about 10 minutes before you even need to build another 2 bunkers, and that'll last you the rest of the time.
    Get to 4 barracks asap, 3 with reactors and 1 with tech lab. Pump pump pump pump marines and medics. Keep the SCVs coming. Grab the little resource packs asap to get ahead of the curve, but don't let your expedition get caught by one of the attack waves.

Once you have like 3 or 4 pages of dudes in your mob, go to the lower left base. Move the mob in until their units block you, kill the stupid asshole spine crawlers, and then get the 3 hatcheries. The top left base will be pretty easy after that. Make sure you start attacking by about 5 or 6 minutes remaining, or the scripted stream of zerg will ruin everything.

There are 3 hatcheries in there? Shit, I took out the first two and went to the northern base, which failed miserably. Fuck the two spine crawlers covering the ramp.

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tossrock wrote: »

Because that'd be dumb.

Generally speaking, yes, and I'm pretty sure all of the Campaign ones work this way.

There are a COUPLE of exceptions that don't come to mind immediately, I THINK.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

This achievment requires a shitload of Marines with a large number of medics, AND timing.

The earlier you can do this achievement the better, because the Zerg defenses get more intense over time. If you're trying to do it with like 5 minutes left, there's basically no way, because the Nydus worms just keep spawning wave after wave after wave of guys.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    OH MY GOOD LORD

Also,

before bed tonight

Use your phoenixes well.

Or void ray.

Yeah, it was very useful.

But you don't need to make any more phoenixes after they give you them, if you are careful with your mans.

Well, yeah, massing colossi is how I did it, but using graviton beam is the only reason I almost got the last achievement (15 dudes short) by keeping those hard-hitting bastards away from my cannons.

Baidol on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    So by the end of the campaign is money plentiful enough to get everything? My hoarders instinct is making me really conservative with upgrades / mercs

No.

You will need to make choices about what you want.

Which I really kind of like, even though I'm usually a completionist. There are achievements for Dumping all of your Money into one category or another, too.

ok good to know. Those achievements were really the only reason I was wondering, and I may be screwed already as I've already spent some money down both paths. Oh well, something for next time

Well, there's one for each area.

So like, Infantry has its own Achievement, Vehicles, Starships, etc.

And then there's one for Mercenaries.

oh ok, awesome. I'll probably do some save / spend / reload because I'm a terrible person

thanks for the info

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Naphtali wrote: »
    But Protoss are so fun

I honestly feel intimidated playing Zerg. Is there a trick or a standard on how you should hotkey your hatcheries & queens?

My system is generally to hotkey only my queens.

Each hatchery gets a queen. Whenever I want to look at my hatchery, I double-click the hotkey for the queen associated with that hatchery. This makes it a lot easier to remember to Spawn Larvae; the first thing I do if the Hatchery doesn't have eggs already on it is spawn larvae. Then I click-select the hatchery and go from there.

How in the eff do you macro during battle?

I do hatches 6, queens 7 and spawn larvae on the minimap. I want to work on making my newest hatch 5 as well to focus on making drones there, and then hitting 6 shhhhhhhhhhhhhh (I basically only mass hydras at this point, haha)
    Practice.

Lots and lots of practice.

You ever watch Pros do that mess? They analyze a situation and decide what to do in a heartbeat, then immediately switch back to macro, then switch back to check on the progress, then switch back again....

It's disgusting.

Yes, my point is that your method takes way longer and is thus harder to do in battle. I am impressed you have time to do it. Mind, you may play like me and not even watch battles, just a-move and get back to macroing because your apm can't handle multitasking...

The downside to your method is that I can't look at a specific hatchery/queen combo at a moment's notice. Which, especially early game, can be crucial for defending harassment.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It is frigging hard
    Here's what I did:

There are 3 hatcheries in there? Shit, I took out the first two and went to the northern base, which failed miserably. Fuck the two spine crawlers covering the ramp.

Yeah, although the top left base is actually way easier anyway. I ended up with 5 kills in the end even though you only need 4. There's 3 "bases" total, don't bother with top right, it is the suckiest.
    Those spine crawlers guarding the ramp will fuck you up. The key, besides getting an assload of guys into a ball, is moving them as far into the base as you can before you attack the crawlers. You don't want half your dudes milling around in the back or trying to spread out into a big retarded chorus line, and if you hesitate for a second they'll get you clogged up on the bottom of the ramp.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    also

Monty.324

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It is frigging hard
    Here's what I did:

Yeah, although the top left base is actually way easier anyway. I ended up with 5 kills in the end even though you only need 4. There's 3 "bases" total, don't bother with top right, it is the suckiest.
    Those spine crawlers guarding the ramp will fuck you up. The key, besides getting an assload of guys into a ball, is moving them as far into the base as you can before you attack the crawlers. You don't want half your dudes milling around in the back or trying to spread out into a big retarded chorus line, and if you hesitate for a second they'll get you clogged up on the bottom of the ramp.

Funnily enough, if you let the Zerg rebuild the hatcheries you killed and then kill them again, those also count towards the achievement. Woo for getting it with less than five minutes to go by killing the same hatcheries again.

Baidol on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    NMNFTU.941

I loved the campaign. loved

Vladimer on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nice Sarukun is back!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm waiting for someone to give up their Limited Edition copy on GoozeX

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What, people have finished this already?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    What, people have finished this already?

it's been out for more than a day so yes

also leaked copies

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I have nothing but time

I doubt you fuckers will make another one for ten years if it took you this long when SCI made a bunch of money

Unless Activision is breathing down your neck going WE NEED MORE MONEY GUITAR HERO IS NOT SELLING AS WELL AS IT SHOULD

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    going to wait to finish the campaign until i can play it on a better computer

hell i might just start over on hard when i can play it on settings other than low (that sometimes make my computer crash)

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is anyone doing much multiplayer yet or is it all campaign?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i remember when sc1 came out

it was announced and then finally came out like what, 4 years after that first logo?

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I played the shit out of this game tonight.

The missions with
    zeratul
    were awesome

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So the Gamestop by me wouldn't sell me a copy without a preorder even though there were like a dozen on the shelves sitting there, so I drove two blocks down and picked it up at Target

Been dicking around in singleplayer for a bit, name's CorpLogo.631

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.