As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

File System Help. Or comparing folders in an OS.

28682868 Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
OK.The family company is a document archival company. They archive documents (Hard copy to Electronic Copy) each hard copy yields two files a high res .tif, and a PDF. Here's the rub. One of the employees just told me he has two folders with about 40,000 files in each. There is a 6 document disparity between the folders.

Is there a way to tell which documents are missing? I guess an easy way to spot the differences between the folders?

Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
2868 on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Um, maybe I solved it my ownself. An application called Windiff.

I should also be clear, this is the Windows OS:Vista. I can do this in the Mac OS with the diff command in the terminal. What I'd like is the ability to do this in windows without a third party application.

2868 on

buy warhams
  • Options
    HuchelHuchel Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You could try different usages of the "fc" or "comp" command in a cmd window on vista. I know it's normally used to compare two files, but I believe there is a way to compare multiple files and directories too.

Huchel on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    windiff should do that for you. might take a while but its a good aplication.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    Geek LordGeek Lord Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    you can output a DOS 'dir' command to a text file on the two folders you want to compare, with ordering if you want, so something like "dir /b /on > folderA.txt" and folderB.txt.

The /b gives you only file names, no date, size, etc. and /on orders filenames by alphabetical order.

Then you run "fc folderA.txt folderB.txt > folderdiff.txt", and for every difference, will output something like this:

Comparing files folderA.txt and folderB.txt
    ***** folderA.txt
    dir.txt
    find
    ***** folderB.txt
    dir.txt
    dir2.txt
    > this is what is different
    find

edit: also don't be afraid of WinDiff, its an official MS application that's part of some Windows Advance Support tools package that you can download straight from microsoft. It doesn't even need to be installed, it can be run as-is once extracted (I think?) and will be much easier than what I did above.

Geek Lord on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'd probably just use the fc command line utility.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for all the help everyone. We went with Windiff. We just had to be careful because of the sensitive nature of the business, we try to do it within the OS if we can, rather than use unvetted utilities.

2868 on

buy warhams