Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PechaKucha

EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone ever been to one of these events, or even present at one? I was asked to. I'm currently looking in to it, but some experiences and testimonials would be very helpful.

EskimoDave on

• vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User
    edited July 2010
    My girlfriend presented at one in Montreal. It was a pretty interesting event. It's a basic format, you have a bunch of presenters, they're allowed some number of slides each (ten?) and so many minutes to give their talk (maybe also ten?). What makes it kind of neat is that there's no single topic to the presentations. My girlfriend's talk was on her PhD thesis work (vidja game studies), there was some other presenter talking about his architecture work (which I thought would be boring but was actually neat), some artists with their various art projects... all kinds of stuff. If there is a talk that doesn't quite interest you, there'll be another completely different talk in ten or so minutes. On the whole, I enjoyed it as an audience member.

As a presenter, it shouldn't be too daunting. The format means there's only so much effort you can put in before you're just wasting time on slides and material that won't get presented. If you've been invited to present, it means the organizers think that whatever you're doing is interesting, and they think you'd be able to interest other interesting people your interesting work! No reason not to do it, really, unless you have an utterly crippling fear of public speaking or something. It's good exposure for whatever you're working on, a great place to network and make contacts, see other neat stuff that you'd otherwise probably never be exposed to, etc. I'd say go for it.

Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • LailLail Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    One of my classes last semester, each student had to do one of these at some point over the course of the class. We had to do 20 slides, each 20 seconds long.

It's kind of nice because your presentation is kept nice and short, however you really need to practice before hand and make sure your timing is on.

It was very common for people to finish speaking about a current slide early and have to wait a couple of seconds before the slide would change over (which felt like an eternity), or they had more than 20 seconds of material to say in a slide and they would start falling behind.

So I guess depending on the number of slides and length per slide, practice practice practice.

• EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think my biggest fear is my presentation being more of a lecture than something informative and fun.

Looking at videos from the first one they're using the 20x20 format.