As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fondue?

ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
edited July 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am looking to get my wife a nice fondue set for her birthday and was curious if anyone here has purchased one in the past.

What do you like about it? What don't you like about it?

I want something electric that has interchangeable bowls, so that we could do cheese and then dinner, without having to use multiple pots [and without having to clean it in between].

Thanks!

ToddJewell on

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't really have a recommendation for a fondue set, but I will mention (as a female who has birthdays) that you might want to consider a different gift, unless your wife is a secret Swiss cheese enthusiast

Gift her a massage or a facial at a local spa, flowers, jewelry, good-smelling bath stuff, a weekend at a bed and breakfast, a gift certificate to her favorite clothing store, etc. - not something that's darned close to the vacuum-cleaner cliche.

Usagi on
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Basically its a pot that heats up - make sure its stainless steel and see if you can find the ones with the actualy temperature settings - the ones that just have on/off tend to suck - either too hot or not hot enough.

Other than those things, its a matter of size - does she like Fondue alone, w/ you, w/ 20 people, etc. Get one appropriate for the setting.

If she hasnt ever done Fondue or this is an unexpected gift - do what Usagi suggested - get something else. If you are dying to involve fondue, there are fondue restaurants now. You may be on an express bullet train to the couch.

WildEEP on
  • Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    She requested it =)

ToddJewell on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I got my mom a fondue set for her wedding gift. She loves it and they use it for chocolate and oil as well as the staple cheese fondue. I went with clay and open flame, not electric but you can get cast iron and electric (Swissmar) as well as stainless steel and electric (Cuisinart). I love fondue and it's high on my list of kitchen gadgets to acquire. I haven't seen many with interchangeable bowls, but you may be able to buy extra bowls from the manufacturer.

VisionOfClarity on