As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[futurama] "almost ten deliveries per year!"

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The assignment of partners was awesome.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I laughed a lot and I'm usually stone-faced when watching TV.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Watched it again. A very enjoyable episode. Easily the best of this run so far.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! Bender wouldn't share! /minor plot hole grumble

/end of episode

"You win this time, show."

The very idea!

Loved this line. Same vein as one of my other favorite Bender lines, when he's arguing with the ship about art.

"Why not create a National Endowment for strip clubs while we're at it?!"
    "WHY NOT INDEED!"

KalTorak on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT! Bender wouldn't share! /minor plot hole grumble

/end of episode

"You win this time, show."

The very idea!

Loved this line. Same vein as one of my other favorite Bender lines, when he's arguing with the ship about art.

"Why not create a National Endowment for strip clubs while we're at it?!"
    "WHY NOT INDEED!"

This.

The very idea

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I loved the bender & ship episode, because it shows something interesting when you look at male/female interaction.

Male-Male = arguing all the time about whatever
    Male-Female = humping

Mainly because it happened to me at some point. Turns out it doesn't end well. Who knew she would try to merge with my programming?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Also Zoidberg's narration at the end is fantastic.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Pi-r8 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Schrodinger's cat jokes are really, really lame?

:cry:

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

It's not you Shrodinger, he just doesn't like your cat.

see317 on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Everyone hates Schrodinger's pussy.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "Also, there's a lot of drugs in here."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

cmon man, you send me like 10 stupid lolcat pictures every day. I may have to add you to my spam email list.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Still makes me laugh out loud, even after watching it sooooo many times.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011

cmon man, you send me like 10 stupid lolcat pictures every day. I may have to add you to my spam email list.

You know, thery're not actually lolcat pictures for certain until you open them and collapse the wave form.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    see317 wrote: »

You know, thery're not actually lolcat pictures for certain until you open them and collapse the wave form.

That MAY have been an easy lob but goddamn if I'm not going to report that for awesome.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Once pointed out to me as a joke during the ball war, "This is not a productive area of conversation" I finally got the joke, and I laugh really hard at that line everytime now. I think its missed very often, because the cold delivery makes you think that is the joke itself.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    "This is not a productive area of conversation"

I get it!
    "This is not a productive area of conversation"

ooooohh, now I get it!!

Joolander on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I don't get it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    This episode definitely wins for best of the new season (so far). It wasn't landmark and didn't expand the arc of the show in ways other episodes have, but it was just a good, solid episode.

The shifting tone the writers (and Billy West) have had with Fry since the movies was missing here, and that was a blessing.

But Christ, Hedonism Bot again? Are gay-panic jokes all the writers have now?

Atomika on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    gay-panic jokes
    I've been seeing this phrase is reviews all over lately, and can't come up with a definition anywhere. Pretty sure you're not referring to the Matthew Shepard defense.

I think I know what you mean from context, but is this term more specific than "gay jokes" somehow?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    gay-panic jokes
    I've been seeing this phrase is reviews all over lately, and can't come up with a definition anywhere. Pretty sure you're not referring to the Matthew Shepard defense.

I think I know what you mean from context, but is this term more specific than "gay jokes" somehow?

More specifically, it usually refers to an unwarranted or inappropriate solicitation of a homosexual dynamic.

For example, a gay character talking about gay sex to another gay character isn't gay panic, even if it's meant as a joke. However, a straight character suddenly being approached by a gay character for gay acts is gay panic, and quite often the extent of the joke itself, making it not only shallow and poor writing, but bigoted as well, i.e., "Oh, no, how horrible it is that this gay person is attracted to me!"

Atomika on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Everyone likes Hedonism Bot, though. He seems to be a pillar of the community, and everyone likes going to his orgies.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    Plus, to be fair, it's not homosexuality that's frightening about Hedonismbot, it's the possibility that he might dip you in molten chocolate.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    My biggest issue with Hedonism Bot is that he's a one-note character that has been run into the ground in the last two seasons.

Atomika on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    He was always a one note character.

But just like "My Manwich!" the writers keep running back to the same wells over and over. Instead of digging new ones.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Considering that Hedonism Bot's proclivities run well beyond "let's have gay sex" I'm not quite sure that's "Gay Panic"

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    He was always a one note character.

But just like "My Manwich!" the writers keep running back to the same wells over and over. Instead of digging new ones.

Right. With the exception of The Simpsons, few shows have a peripheral cast as deep as Futurama, so returning to the same handful of punchlines and catchphrases is really getting stale now.

I mean, it's "Drinking Game" bad. From now on, "my manwich!" gets you two shots, Hedonism Bot gets you three, and Leela's "oh, Lord," gets you five.

Atomika on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Leela saying that; that's just her character.

I really like Hedonism Bot but he needs to be a one off thing. it was great in that episode with Bender and the elite robot society, but bringing him up again kills it.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Are people getting mad about Hedonism Bot being... hedonistic? Really?!?

On that note, who else would you expect to own such a high-class item as the Maltese Liquor? Other than the head of Billy Dee Williams, of course.
    tumblr_lgo7x4Lem61qa8kz9o1_500.jpg

Houn on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Leela saying that; that's just her character.

I really like Hedonism Bot but he needs to be a one off thing. it was great in that episode with Bender and the elite robot society, but bringing him up again kills it.

Are you talking about "The Beast With a Billion Backs"? His first appearance was in "Crimes of the Hot", and he was a key plot point in "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings", so he was long past a one off thing by that point.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

It could only be more romantic if it was Valentines Day.

...What?
    It WAS!?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

It could only be more romantic if it was Valentines Day.

...What?
    It WAS!?

Hooray!

Personally, I'm impressed that the staff manages to work in a little bit of funny Scruffy stuff into most episodes without succumbing to the temptation to give him his own b-plot or, god help us, an entire episode. A quick comment is all we need. I think that Scruffy's romance with the washbucket was about as much plot as he could possibly handle.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Love Hedonism Bot. It was sad when everyone was killed as his orgy, but fortunately he survived. Thats the danger you get when you have atomic powered stripper-bots. As if regular ones weren't bad enough!

Jambi! More Oil!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Love Hedonism Bot. It was sad when everyone was killed as his orgy, but fortunately he survived. Thats the danger you get when you have atomic powered stripper-bots. As if regular ones weren't bad enough!

Jambi! More Oil!

I love the idea of an entire gigantic warehouse filled with deactivated hedonism-bots, just waiting for the current one to explode or otherwise die in some horribly decadent way. Then, the next hedonism bot in line activates and shuffles out the door. No explanation for why this warehouse exists, or who created it, or why they felt it necessary that there always be a hedonism bot.

see317 on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    see317 wrote: »

Jambi! More Oil!

I love the idea of an entire gigantic warehouse filled with deactivated hedonism-bots, just waiting for the current one to explode or otherwise die in some horribly decadent way. Then, the next hedonism bot in line activates and shuffles out the door. No explanation for why this warehouse exists, or who created it, or why they felt it necessary that there always be a hedonism bot.

I love this idea as well. I love trying to think up reasons why anyone would want to create or purchase a hedonism bot.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Houn wrote: »
    Are people getting mad about Hedonism Bot being... hedonistic? Really?!?

I'd rather his hedonism was mutli-faceted. These days it seems to be only sexual. What happened to the gluttony?

Roger from American Dad is closer to the original Hedonism Bot these days than Hedonism Bot is.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Once pointed out to me as a joke during the ball war, "This is not a productive area of conversation" I finally got the joke, and I laugh really hard at that line everytime now. I think its missed very often, because the cold delivery makes you think that is the joke itself.

I don't get that one. Does it have something to do with, uh, testicles? Not a native speaker.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    ResorathResorath Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tinche wrote: »

I don't get that one. Does it have something to do with, uh, testicles? Not a native speaker.

Since the whole episode is centered around testicles, I'm going to say yes.

(also, I wanted to type "centred", but firefox tells me I spelled that wrong, it also looks weird).

Resorath on
    makibanner.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

Are you talking about "The Beast With a Billion Backs"? His first appearance was in "Crimes of the Hot", and he was a key plot point in "The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings", so he was long past a one off thing by that point.

I guess so. I don't mean one off in the strictest of senses. But he does seem to be showing up a lot lately.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tinche wrote: »

Reproductive is a common adjective for referring to sex-related things.

Also hedonism bot has done a decent amount of eating in recent episodes. And while he assumed Bender was at his house for some sort of robot orgy, the fact he has a giant wine cellar with the most alcoholic beverage ever produced fits into the theme of gluttony pretty well.

President Rex on