As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting a New Cat soon, tips?

2»

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Entriech wrote: »
    Clean the litter box every day. Get a Litter Locker. They make the process a loooooot easier. I love mine. Bear in mind that even if they're using it properly, they may still kick litter out of the box when they're digging around in there. Place the box accordingly.

What is the point of that? Why not just put the clumped litter and poo into a plastic bag and dump it in your outside garbage to be collected? That thing is HUGE too. The OP is in a little apartment.

Yeah, that's a bit much. I use the plastic sleeves the newspaper comes in. I just scoop the stuff in sleeve, tie it off and toss it.

Oddly enough, a ways back when my old roommate had a dog we'd use the same plastic sleeves to pick up the dog's stuff outside.

Also I personally use Feline Pine litter. It kills odor very well. And you only have to scoop out the poo, and change the whole litter box once a week or so. No scooping of clumped litter.

And yes, expect to need to vacuum around the litter box somewhat frequently.

But back to food for a minute.
    I use Wellness Core dry and Wellness wet. The dry I leave out for free feeding, the wet I feed twice a day (breakfast and dinner). They're not the kind of cats that devour all the food in site, they eat when they're hungry. And they're not fat.

Selner on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Taya wrote: »
    Get your cat spayed/neutered.

Buy a scratching post and a spray bottle. Spray the cat if it scratches anywhere except the post, or if it jumps up on the kitchen counter etc.

Here's one: buy little cat nail clippers. When the cat is used to you, touch the cat's paws during your usual petting and snugglish sessions. Eventually you should be able to squeeze your cat's paw to see the claw without the cat getting mad. When your cat is fully comfortable with this, wrap it up in a towel like a burrito and clip the nails of one paw. Release the cat and give it treats. Repeat until all nails are clipped.

Neither of my cats love getting their nails clipped but they tolerate it. If you're careful not to clip the nail on the quick, it will be a painless process.
    I use something that looks like this for nail trimming... my dog and cats, both. The important feature is that it has a guard on the back. It keeps you from cutting too deep. Honestly, I don't even go to the guard... I just take off the tips a bit. If you cut a cat's nails too short (or a dog's), it will bleed like crazy and the cat (or dog) will be in a lot of pain. It will never trust you (or anyone else) around its toes again, and it will become a nightmare to cut their toenails in the future. My parents needed to have their pug sedated to cut his nails because my mom tried to use scissors on the dog's nails.

My cats (and dog) don't pull back or anything when I clip the nails. I usually do it after they've played a bit and are winding down for a nap. If they start to look like they're going to resist, I wait til later. No point in making it a fight. I don't need to burrito them or anything. If it looks like I'm going to have to do that, I back off. There's no need in pushing it... it's not like they're going anywhere.

GungHo on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're taking your cat into the vet every six months, they'll trim them for free. I don't go anywhere near my cats nails.

Esh on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I highly recommend against ever letting your cat be an indoor/outdoor unless you like the idea of shortening its lifespan immensely. If you must though, make sure you're putting Frontline on him once a month.
    I've never have a cat not make it into its twenties and they've all been able to go wherever they want.

815165 on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    I highly recommend against ever letting your cat be an indoor/outdoor unless you like the idea of shortening its lifespan immensely. If you must though, make sure you're putting Frontline on him once a month.
    I've never have a cat not make it into its twenties and they've all been able to go wherever they want.

You're extremely lucky then. Do some Googling on the subject.

Esh on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The first google hit is saying that the average lifespan for a cat allowed outdoors is four.

I can only imagine this is due to people letting their cat out in areas it'd be stupid to, maybe if they live in a blimp or something.

815165 on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Taya wrote: »

Don't spend a fortune on toys. Just get a few small balls and toy mice. Or just crumple up some paper.

Also, Boxes, it's like crack for cats.

And paper bags. My cat loves the rings from milk jugs as well.

Oh yes. Our two cats love to play with milk rings. The downside is that they're so tiny that they are easily lost; I wouldn't be surprised if there are close to a hundred stuck under bookcases and other pieces of furniture in our house.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If it hasn't been said yet, get a drinkwell for your cat.

http://www.vetventures.com/

This is very handy to have if you ever plan on having a day or two away from your place. With a drinkwell, a feeder, and a cleaned litter box you can break out for a day or two and be assured that your feline will be alive when you get back.

If you have the bathroom space and don't mind dropping the cash, a really neat idea is THE CAT GENIE (DUN DUN DUN)

http://www.catgenie.com/

Basically, it's a cat toilet that hooks up to your toilet. Cat does business, leaves, cat genie CRUSHES AND LIQUIFIES CAT WASTE, then flushes it down your toilet. No actual cat litter. Last I checked they were like 300 bucks though.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This is very handy to have if you ever plan on having a day or two away from your place. With a drinkwell, a feeder, and a cleaned litter box you can break out for a day or two and be assured that your feline will be alive when you get back.

If you have the bathroom space and don't mind dropping the cash, a really neat idea is THE CAT GENIE (DUN DUN DUN)

Basically, it's a cat toilet that hooks up to your toilet. Cat does business, leaves, cat genie CRUSHES AND LIQUIFIES CAT WASTE, then flushes it down your toilet. No actual cat litter. Last I checked they were like 300 bucks though.

Cat Genie = FUCK YES

I got in a pretty serious accident a few days ago, and my deductible is taking up all my funds so I am going to push back getting the cat till October but I am definitely getting this. YESSS!! Thanks so much for the tip! Seriously.

lsukalel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    lsukalel wrote: »

Cat Genie = FUCK YES

I got in a pretty serious accident a few days ago, and my deductible is taking up all my funds so I am going to push back getting the cat till October but I am definitely getting this. YESSS!! Thanks so much for the tip! Seriously.

You're welcome. They get great reviews. My wife and I were going to get a pair when we bought our house but to our dismay we don't have the space in our bathrooms since our house was built in 1940. Our melancholy knew no bounds.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wet food. Wet food. Good quality wet food. Wellness is what I use, only the varieties which are grain free. Cats are obligate carnivores, and can't do shit nutritionally with carbs besides get fat off 'em. So you want something grain free, with lots of protein and fat, and wet is better than dry, as cats have an abysmal thirst drive and a tendency towards bladder/urinary track/kidney issues.

When you first get your cat, start them off in one room of your place with the door closed, preferably the one that the litter box is in. When they've calmed down and explored, you can let them out to see everything else. You just want to make sure they feel safe before they're overwhelmed with new stimuli.

Shelters feed cats crap dry food for the most part. It can be pretty addictive, sorta like feeding a kid twinkies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so transitioning them to a healthier food can be tricky. With mine we basically started off feeding him mostly the dry food the shelter was using, and over a week phased in more and more wet food. Wasn't any issue at all, but some cats are pickier than others. Do not allow your cat to go more than 48 hours without eating something, as it can lead to a fatal condition known as fatty liver disease. Some tricks that can help are sprinkling some Parmesan cheese over their food, or getting some tuna. Cats don't have much in the way of a sense of taste, but a very strong sense of smell, so that's how you can appeal to them that something is tasty.

Ya know, I hear some of this stuff pretty often, and I just want to say this is highly dependent on the cat. Our cats can't eat what some consider "healthier" cat foods. We've tried switching them a couple times, and 3 of the 4 (different 3 each time) scratched themselves raw, and had some awful smelling poop. Purina works well for them, and they're all healthy and happy. Also, dry food is far better for their teeth than wet food.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Cat Genie = FUCK YES

You're welcome. They get great reviews. My wife and I were going to get a pair when we bought our house but to our dismay we don't have the space in our bathrooms since our house was built in 1940. Our melancholy knew no bounds.

It really depends on where you look for reviews - on Amazon even the new 120 models have generally awful reviews, including how frequently the hoses get plugged, flooded bowls of feces and pee water, the stench of air-baked cat poop, miserable customer service, high pellet loss, and high maintenance costs... I looked into these just because it'd be worth it for me to not have to clean the litter boxes here, but after reading through pages and pages of reviews I wouldn't ever buy one.

OP: If you do buy one, give us a review of it in like a year? :P

cabsy on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Cat Genie = FUCK YES

Or you can take the minute or two it takes to scoop the box, and not have to worry that some tubing is going to blow and flood your cat box/cat/bathroom. A clean litterbox doesn't smell.

seems like an unnecessary solution to a nonexistant problem

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Wet food. Wet food. Good quality wet food. Wellness is what I use, only the varieties which are grain free. Cats are obligate carnivores, and can't do shit nutritionally with carbs besides get fat off 'em. So you want something grain free, with lots of protein and fat, and wet is better than dry, as cats have an abysmal thirst drive and a tendency towards bladder/urinary track/kidney issues.

When you first get your cat, start them off in one room of your place with the door closed, preferably the one that the litter box is in. When they've calmed down and explored, you can let them out to see everything else. You just want to make sure they feel safe before they're overwhelmed with new stimuli.

Shelters feed cats crap dry food for the most part. It can be pretty addictive, sorta like feeding a kid twinkies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner so transitioning them to a healthier food can be tricky. With mine we basically started off feeding him mostly the dry food the shelter was using, and over a week phased in more and more wet food. Wasn't any issue at all, but some cats are pickier than others. Do not allow your cat to go more than 48 hours without eating something, as it can lead to a fatal condition known as fatty liver disease. Some tricks that can help are sprinkling some Parmesan cheese over their food, or getting some tuna. Cats don't have much in the way of a sense of taste, but a very strong sense of smell, so that's how you can appeal to them that something is tasty.

Ya know, I hear some of this stuff pretty often, and I just want to say this is highly dependent on the cat. Our cats can't eat what some consider "healthier" cat foods. We've tried switching them a couple times, and 3 of the 4 (different 3 each time) scratched themselves raw, and had some awful smelling poop. Purina works well for them, and they're all healthy and happy. Also, dry food is far better for their teeth than wet food.
    It is definitely different for every cat. Some cats do absolutely fine on corn/rice based food sprayed with scents to make it appealing to consume. Much in the same way that there's that person everyone knows that eats like, chocolate cake and fries and is in perfect health.

However regarding the teeth health issue, I'm not 100% sold on dry being that much better than wet. Better than both of those is to buy some cat toothpaste and a fingerbrush and clean your cat's teeth yourself. Cats get righteous teeth problems, so this is a good idea.

Unrelatedly that Cat Genie thing looks amazing, and I am definitely trying to figure out how to fit one into my house now.
    Edit: Or perhaps not, if it's as nonfunctional as those reviews indicate. Ah well.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cabsy wrote: »

Cat Genie = FUCK YES

It really depends on where you look for reviews - on Amazon even the new 120 models have generally awful reviews, including how frequently the hoses get plugged, flooded bowls of feces and pee water, the stench of air-baked cat poop, miserable customer service, high pellet loss, and high maintenance costs... I looked into these just because it'd be worth it for me to not have to clean the litter boxes here, but after reading through pages and pages of reviews I wouldn't ever buy one.

OP: If you do buy one, give us a review of it in like a year? :P

I should have been more specific. I know three people that have them and love them, which is a personal review I didn't make clear.

@mts - It's no different in principle than a feeder or a fountain. It keeps you from having to do it every day. If that rubs you the wrong way, meh.

Chases Street Demons on

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I appreciate all the advice fellow forumers. I will follow almost all of it. I just am probably not getting two cats, I just don't see how with my apartment layout it would work. Its 674 but it feels smaller than that ya know? Plus I have never had to deal with a litter box or other issues so I really want to start small and learn before jumping in with two cats.

I live in a 600 sqft apartment, and it's definitely big enough for two cats. Cats don't really need a huge amount of space. If you get two they will be better adjusted and less likely to destroy things out of boredom. You also don't really have to worry about them getting along if you get them at the same time. Most shelters don't have a lot of room so they double up on cages for cats who get along. If you go to the shelter and say you want two adult cats who get along they will point you to probably a few couples they have. Also they will pretty much hug you for being so awesome. If you do decide to get a second cat, it'll be more difficult to introduce one to an already established cat.

I've had one cat and then when I moved away from that cat I got two cats. There is really no difference in the amount of work required between one cat and two cats, you just end up with more social, well adjusted pets. So really, consider it. Especially since you live alone and are away for large parts of the day.

Plus you'll get to watch the adorableness of cats wrestling and trying to hold each other down to give the other a bath.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, that's why I got two. I work longish hours at time and I don't want to be their only friend. Depressed animals are... well... depressing.

I also have a big damn dog who is inside all day (and getting fat) and I honestly got two cats so that he can't get away with bullying a single cat. They always have an ally. They also play with him (they all socialized remarkably well) and he plays with them (when he feels like playing). It's actually been great for him... it's improved his disposition remarkably (he was getting depressed because of my changed hours). He has two cats to boss around and they have someone to ignore the shit out of and later ambush.

The biggest issue has been keeping him out of their food and keeping him out of their litter box.

GungHo on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    gungho
    sounds like our setup. we got one cat to keep our dog company and then go the cat a cat to have cat companionship since he liked other cats so much.

as far as food goes. we feed our cats up on a table/counter in teh kitchen where our dog can't reach. its not ideal but if the food is on the ground our dog will eat it without hesitating.

we have to litter areas in teh house. we keep one in our office that is inside a cabinet. i just got a cheapo two door cabinet from home goods and cut a cat sized hole in the side. it would be hard for our dog to get into that though she could stick her head in it.

the other boxes are in the laundry room. we have a set of doors that i put a cat flap in. keeps the dog out and gives the cats access as well as a place to escape to if they are scared.

our friends used a closet for their litter area, they just put a cat flap on the door.

you can probably do something similar for the food but it would make it a pain if you ask me

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the table part could work (he can't jump... he could turn over the table if he wanted to, but he's not that goofy/brazen). I've been putting them in the laundry room to eat undisturbed, but it seems too much like segregation. They are all willing to drink out of a communal bowl. For the first couple of weeks, I told him that if he ate cat food that it'd make him meow, but he finally rolled to disbelieve.

The catflap litter area sounds like a good idea. There's no way he could get his head/shoulders into a "cat sized" door unless he becomes Mr. Fantastic. He's shaped like a brick with legs. I bought one of the igloo-like cover things for the litter pan, but the cats didn't like that and it's frankly too much bullshit to disassemble it every time I gotta change the litter (once at morning, once at night... they shit a lot).

GungHo on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're taking your cat into the vet every six months, they'll trim them for free. I don't go anywhere near my cats nails.

I started trimming my cats front claws when they were kittens. It took a little bit, but they got somewhat adjusted to it. My wife is unable to get them to sit still for trimming, but they sit still for me.

I just have to sit there and pet them until they are nearly asleep and purring like little machines.

But both cats recognize the clippers at this point, and get a serious "oh crap!" look on their faces when they see them.

Oh, and for grooming you really can't beat The Furminator!
    http://www.furminator.com/

The thing is amazing. My cats have crazy long fur, which mats from time to time. But that simple little thing takes all that undercoat off, and makes them very soft. They almost like being groomed now, almost.

Selner on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Trimming your cats nails is about infinite patience and control. Just remember that you are stronger than them and more patient. You can wear them out, but you have to be confident. If you hestitate your cat will sense it and not trust you near their claws. Just don't let them go until it's over. It's never really an enjoyable experience, but after doing it every month or so for a year they will quietly tolerate the 45 seconds it takes to do all four paws. You just need to show them initially that you won't give up, and that struggling will only prolong the experience.

Asiina on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Screw that catgenie stuff. Someone on PAH/A tossed the idea of the LitterRobot into a cat thread a couple months ago. My girlfriend was moving in with me at the time and she didn't want me (or her) to have to keep a smelly litterbox around. She got a refurbished litterrobot (v2 I think), and it works so well.

My only complaint with it after using it for a month and a half with two (and for the past week or two, three) cats is that they seem to track a lot of clean litter around, but she tells me this is normal.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

The biggest issue has been keeping him out of their food and keeping him out of their litter box.

I'm pretty sure that I've read that eating catfood is very bad for dogs, so I wouldn't have any problem feeding them in separate rooms.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's a big debate amongst cat owners whether it's better to let your cat be an outdoor kitty or to keep them safe inside. Most shelters side with the indoor crowd, which makes sense from their perspective. Really, I think it depends on the cat, the owner, and the location as to which is better.

Our kitty is an outdoor kitty. We got her from the SPCA and she'd been living outside previously. For the first month when we brought her home, we kept her inside for her to get used to her new home. During this time, I observed her to see if she was smart enough to go outside and take care of herself. Had she been a stupid kitty, she would have stayed indoors. We have rules about when she can go out that align with our schedules so that we can be there to take care of her if she gets into trouble. Essentially, she comes in when we go to bed and isn't allowed out during the day unless we're around.

Whatever you decide, there are things you need to know about each lifestyle. Indoor kitties need to have extra supplements for their diet and most foods will indicate whether or not they address those needs. Also, indoor kitties will need a way to get additional exercise. If your indoor kitty wants to go outside, be prepared to feel guilty, but stand by your decision, because it's much harder to take it back.

Outdoor kitties need additional vaccines to protect them - specifically for things that they can catch from other cats. You should of course get basic vaccines regardless, but be prepared for the extra expense - roughly $100 at my vet. Our cat also prefers to do her business outside when she has the opportunity, so that does cut down on litter box maintainance to some extent.

For the litter box, I have to say, the Arm& Hammer baking soda for litter, specifically, is great at controlling the smell. We keep our litter box in our guest bedroom/my study, so keeping the smell controlled is very important.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tips! I am going to use each one of em, getting a cat on September 15 again, I can't wait longer than that. lol I have taken to going to petsmart and just visiting the cats there. lol

/thread

lsukalel on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have taken to going to petsmart and just visiting the cats there.

Please please please get your cat from a shelter.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    I have taken to going to petsmart and just visiting the cats there.

Please please please get your cat from a shelter.

Well the cats there are from a local shelter.

lsukalel on