As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recettear: RPG Shop simulator - It's out and great and you should buy it

• Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Questions for Spacedrake, though:

1) If we buy direct from Carpe Fulgur's site, do they still get the bigger cut regardless of channel?

Currently all three of the distributors get more or less the same cut. You might be able to give us a greater cut of boondollars once Impulse has their affiliate thing up for us, but they don't even have their preorder page up yet.
    2) If we get the Steam version, is it still install agnostic and DRM-free? I like Steam, but I hate DRM more.

It does run through the Steam wrapper, with everything that's involved; you need to do that to play ball with Steam. If you must have it DRM-free, that's why the Impulse and GG options exist.

I just wanted to thank you for being so active, I will be buying this on Steam since I never had heard about the game until Idle Thumbs last week and it sounds incredible and I am pumped to play it.

Lothars on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Here's the steam page to buy.

congrats on getting on steam! I'll go buy it there now. I feel bad for impulse tho, since if they didn't jump in first, I dunno if it would have caught on. OH WELL. Buying on steam!
    nnnnnnnnnnngh prepurchased

Congrats SpaceDrake!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    I worry about you guys now. I imagine a future where you suddenly discover Rosenkreuz Stilette, Ether Vapor, Ragnarok Battle Offline, Vanguard Princesses, etc. It's beautiful, but also terrifying.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, for my part I'm already lining up targets for afterward. (Assuming we make enough money to keep doing this.)

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    Is my little pet still in your sights?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    what's up #5 top seller on steam (was 4th for a while)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, for my part I'm already lining up targets for afterward. (Assuming we make enough money to keep doing this.)

Please do very well and build a market for more; I'm entering my fourth year as a Japanese major and my post-graduation goal is to localize software. :)

That said, pre-ordered off Steam. I feel dirty considering the DRM-free alternatives but it's just so damn convenient.

baudattitude on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    4h place again

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Is my little pet still in your sights?

Potentially, but we're going to need some fairly serious cred (and resources) to make an actual go of it. Robin's a huge fan, though, so it's on the radar.
    Pikapuff wrote:

Check again, ho, we're at 4th again unless the Steam frontpage is lyin' to me.
    Please do very well and build a market for more; I'm entering my fourth year as a Japanese major and my post-graduation goal is to localize software.

I'll say this much: the localization market is one of the most brutal in the industry. I knew that going in. In large part it's luck that I found a project as good as Recettear to take on alone; I could probably search for several decades and not encounter another such project. If you try to get in, prepare yourself for years of grinding search while you compete with a lot of other hopefuls.

If you're good, though, the rewards can be incredible and I'm not just talking dollars here. But those help too.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2010
    Then I'll just have to finish it before you can make your move. Bwa ha ha ha.
    <3

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Pikapuff wrote:

Check again, ho, we're at 4th again unless the Steam frontpage is lyin' to me.

Look at it this way: Your game is currently beating Civilization 5 for preorders.

Yeah, it just started selling today, but that has to be a boost to one's ego.

Bremen on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I might have to preorder this on steam. I get the reduced price as long as I pre-purchase before the activation date, right?

Cause if I have to buy it before I have money, then I'll just wait until the Impulse affiliate thing happens.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having super fun with the demo. The controls definitely scream out for a gamepad. Who do I have to kill to get this on the DS too?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Having super fun with the demo. The controls definitely scream out for a gamepad. Who do I have to kill to get this on the DS too?

You know that it natively supports a 360 controller, right? And it certainly plays comfortably with one.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just received a review copy of the game. Really looking forward to playing it over the holiday weekend. I'll probably put my review out on our website (http://zeboyd.com) a day or two before the official launch date so there'll be at least one review for the full English version when the game launches.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i'm pretty damn excited about this coming out, all i want to do is play past the first week D:

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    what's up third place on steam sales

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    lets push it for #1 woooooo

edit:
    Space Drake, man you gotta make your sig link to your webpage for great justice, we want to promote consumer whores and capitalism!

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't really like the gameplay of the game, but I am a total sucker for bad puns.

Space Drake, you write the worst puns.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Very pleasantly surprised by this. Screenshots just don't do it any justice at all.

The more you get into it, imagination really starts to grip you and end up just imagining this young girl actin' a fool with this exceedingly mature but tiny fairy just hanging her head in disappointment at almost every moment.

And keeping the voice acting was genius; it really makes some of the moments more enjoyable.

DracoGriffin on
  • Options
    ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All I remember from the demo is repeatedly wiping in the first dungeon and uninstalling.

<lowers head in shame>

<re-downloads demo>

Zoelef on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    what's up third place on steam sales

where are you seeing steam sales figures updating in real time

Captain K on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Front page, top sellers tab at the bottom. Back down to fourth, now.

Darian on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Capitalism, ho!

I love that. <3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I will be very pleasantly surprised if/when it passes up mafia 2 on the list

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Back to third 3rd now.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Couldn't resist.. now I just have to wait for release.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finished the demo.

Demand level: frothing

I thought the bit where adventurers who buy things equip them is pretty neat.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Was only expecting to play maybe a half hour to give the game a try. 2 hours later, I finally managed to put it down.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's everywhere I look to buy games. Why did I have to go drinking last Friday?!

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CymrilCymril Son, we just crossed the street. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Considering that, apparently, the Steam Top Seller list isn't ranked by the number of copies sold, but revenue (thus cheaper games need to sell more units than more expensive games) and it's currently 3rd, beating out 4 $50+ 'AAA' games (AND Battlefield: BC2 at $30), I think you guys are set to make a pile.

E: Also, I don't know how much control you guys have over the actual code (and it being so close to release), I'd kill for some widescreen support. Not that it matters, as I've already pre-ordered.

Cymril on
    Shut up Francis. Something about Vietnam. Horseshit.

D3: Cymril#1411 || League of Legends/Steam/Xbox/Origin: Cymril
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'll just say it now: widescreen support for Recettear will never happen. Major graphic elements of the game are built around the assumption of a 4:3 screen ratio. Putting in native widescreen support would mean redeveloping significant portions of the game, and that simply isn't going to happen for a several-years-old project when EGS can - and should - move forward with new things.

That said, for the curious, their most recent project Territoire does feature native widescreen support.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    CymrilCymril Son, we just crossed the street. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry, I should have phrased that a little better, I meant something more along the lines of selectable widescreen resolutions, but keeping the game letterboxed. Obviously recreating every art asset is out of the question. It's just that my screen's native resolution is the pretty common 1366x768, which means the game screen runs into the bottom of the task bar when it's windowed and fullscreen gets stretched because it's a widescreen monitor.

Also, as someone who's heavily invested in the western indie scene, I can't wait to see what else you guys bring over that I'd otherwise never get to play.

Cymril on
    Shut up Francis. Something about Vietnam. Horseshit.

D3: Cymril#1411 || League of Legends/Steam/Xbox/Origin: Cymril
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I enjoyed the demo a lot more than I thought I would. I'm not a huge fan of most Japanese games from the big devs, but this was pretty clever and well written. I do however suck balls at it and got my house taken away which was okay because that game over screen is fantastic.

And yeah a letterboxed widescreen mode would be great. It fits perfectly on my 22 inch monitor, but getting rid of my desktop background for black bars would be great.

Drool on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I CAN'T STOP PLAYING THE DEMO. Help.

Finally managed to beat the first week payment with a comfortable 25k pix in my account. That was neat. Louie was certainly one of my best customers.....looks like he's making a lot of money running those dungeons for me.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    SpazHappySpazHappy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ugh! I've wanted to make an RPG shop simulator game forever! Now I feel like I can't, because of this game!

SpazHappy on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I decided to cave in and give this game a look. I'm playing the demo, just started, and the dialogue is already starting to grow on me. Capitalism ho! :mrgreen:

Now let's see how I manage with selling all this crap I bought from guild president Beardman...

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Monthenor wrote: »
    I don't really like the gameplay of the game, but I am a total sucker for bad puns.

Space Drake, you write the worst puns.

That guy up there? Ignore him, he's a silly goose. This demo was amazing and now you have my monies.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, of course he's a silly goose. I write the best puns. All of them.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    *(friend) wants to Steam chat*
    3:46PM (friend): what the H are you playing?
    3:46PM Monthenor: I believe "item shop simulator" is right there in the title
    3:46PM (friend): haha yeah, why?
    3:46PM Monthenor: I just sold a blacksmith dude a worn sword, and some housewives came in for walnut bread
    3:47PM (friend): haha
    3:48PM (friend): only you monthenor.
    *(friend) is now playing Team Fortress 2*

I failed to sell my friend on Recettear. I wonder...do I really have no talent?...

Monthenor on