As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Advise Me]: Miniatures Gaming for Noobs

HerkimerHerkimer Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
My local games shop hosts weekly tournaments for several different tabletop rulesets, and I'm thinking about getting involved. Thing is, I've never done it before, so I'd have to start from scratch (well, not entirely true: I painted D&D miniatures as a kid, but I have no idea where those are, and the shop doesn't run a Chainmail game (assuming that even exists anymore)).

Of the games the shop hosts, the ones I'd be interested in are Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, and Flames of War. Assuming that I am roughly equally interested in all three genres, I'm hoping to get a little bit of a better sense of what would be the best fit for me. I'm also going to check out some tournaments this week, so that may influence my decision, if y'all wouldn't mind answering a few questions, I'd appreciate it!

1) For the three systems, what kind of startup cost am I looking at for a basic setup? That would need to include the rulebooks, models, paints, and a few brushes.

2) Are any of the three rulesets particularly easy or difficult to learn? I'm assuming that WHF and WH40K are roughly on par, though I've no idea.

3) Availability of games: as I said, my local store runs games, so I'm set for now. Just thinking though, that if I move later on, I wouldn't like to be stuck with a bunch of expensive shit that I could never use.

4) Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Herkimer on