As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New MP3 Player Recommendation

Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen"Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm basically in the market for a MP3 Player. I've had this two gig iPod nano since the 8th Grade (its six years old now) and I feel that its definitely time to upgrade. Especially since my Music Collection is approaching 1000 songs now and I'm sick of having to clear my Nano out to make room for new songs. I've been looking at the iTouch, but price is deterring me at the moment. I noticed the average price for a 32g is roughly $300, or I can pay another $100 for 64g. However, I noticed that the Microsoft Zune is slightly cheaper. Plus I've also heard some decent things about it such as it having better quality of sound (if true, BIG PLUS) as well as Zune Pass. Overall, I'm looking for recommendations about the MP3 Player I buy. It''ll mainly be used when I run (Running six plus miles on hopes and dreams gets boring around mile two)

Waffles or whatever on

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you do get a Zune, keep in mind there's like zero accessories for it in comparison to Apple products.

I found this but until it arrives in the mail and I get my own Zune working again (I think it's just old, but I'm calling support tomorrow.) I can't tell you how it is.

I did read a review for it, and the reviews there on Amazon all make it look promising.

Just FYI if you do get a Zune. I like it cause you can play the radio, as well as a few casual games for it too so you have something to do while you're on a train or something.

Zune pass lets you rent song so long as you stay subscribed. The moment you cancel it though, you lose it all. Just buy the songs outright with Microsoft points. Get something for your 360 and you have 99 points left over? Buy a song.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First: do you have a nice phone? As in, a phone with apps, like an Android phone? I say this because if you don't, I would recommend getting the iPod Touch. Per dollar, you get wayyyy more content than any other competing player.

If you don't care about apps, though, I wholly recommend the Zune HD. I borrowed a friend's 64gb Zune HD for a few weeks and I love it. The interface is incredibly refreshing (even better than the generic spreadsheet of an apple music product), and it does sound a bit richer than the iPod Touch (the difference is neglible, though). The Zune Pass is also super awesome, as is the HD radio. I don't quite remember how were videos on it, but I didn't seem to have any problems, and I remember the screen looking good.

The iPod Touch is a do-it-all device. The Zune HD does music, but it does music the best out of any options available right now (in my opinion, of course). If you're in it for the music, get a Zune HD.

Just to note, and I can't say this concretely, but the Zune refresh should be happening around September, if you want to hold out for a bit. A plus is that even if you don't like the new one, the current model will be cheaper. (The iPod Touch is also rumored to refresh in September, hopefully with the awesome screen of the iPhone 4, so look out for that, too).

EDIT: If you're just now approaching 1000 songs, the 16gb Zune player will last you a long while.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SONY would be my choice.

It's wrong to buy music gear from computer companies and while SONY did not invent MP3 they defined portable music before then and what they have today is very good. They have a nice selection of players, they offer good sound quality, long battery life and fast recharging as well and if you ever travel some you'll love the models with noise-canceling functions.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Choosing between an iPod Touch and a Zune HD is basically a choice between having a ton of app support for your device, or having almost unlimited access to any music you want (at $15 a month, plus you get to keep 10 songs a month forever). Both devices have good interfaces and screens, as well as similar available carrying capacities. I chose to go with Zune Pass, and have no regrets. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm also looking for a new cheap, no-frills mp3 player. I don't need video capability (though it shows up on most units now anyway) or apps, and as far as storage goes, right now I'm considering things that hold 8GB or more for less than $100. The best options right now I've found are the Samsa Fuze 8GB and the Archos 8GB 3cam vision players. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with these players, or others that fit my criteria? I'm a bit wary of the touch screen on the Archos after hearing that it is sometimes nonresponsive or finicky, so I'm leaning toward the Samsa.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My iPod Touch is the only mp3 player I've ever owned, but I have absolutely no complaints about it (except that I'm not a fan of iTunes... not a big issue for me though).

The added wifi capability has come in handy quite a bit.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you're fine with getting only an MP3 player, then I can't recommend the Zune highly enough. The HD model has a great screen, and I love the interferance for it(though it takes a bit to get used to). Like others have pointed out, don't go in expecting lots of apps or other things to do with it though.

And the zune pass is awesome. Plus you get ten free credits per month, and you can use those for the rare few items that aren't available in the zune pass. Also, their store IMHO blows away Itunes in design and ease of use.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does the Zune or iTouch allow me to use Sirius Radio? I have a subscription for my car at the moment (Its nice for USAR weekends when I have to and from school).

As for Apps. I can't say I really care to much about the Apps. Hence why I didn't get an iPhone when my contract expired.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The zune does not support satellite radio (it just has an HD FM tuner), no idea on the ipod touch.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pretty sure the iPod wouldn't support it (I haven't honestly checked).

It does support Pandora, but I dunno if Apple would consider Sirius a competitor. They don't support Napster's online client for that reason.

Chanus on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I ipod/iphone has a sirius app.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zune because Zune Pass.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Six wrote: »
    I ipod/iphone has a sirius app.

Touché :P

Chanus on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Waffen wrote: »
    Does the Zune or iTouch allow me to use Sirius Radio? I have a subscription for my car at the moment (Its nice for USAR weekends when I have to and from school).

As for Apps. I can't say I really care to much about the Apps. Hence why I didn't get an iPhone when my contract expired.

There's a Sirius app for the iTouch, but it will only work when you have internet access (aka somewhere with free wifi).

Personally, I find my iTouch worth it more as a portable gaming device (since I don't have a DS or PSP) than a media device. If you already have a DS or PSP, the Zune HD is what I'd choose.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm also looking for a new cheap, no-frills mp3 player. I don't need video capability (though it shows up on most units now anyway) or apps, and as far as storage goes, right now I'm considering things that hold 8GB or more for less than $100. The best options right now I've found are the Samsa Fuze 8GB and the Archos 8GB 3cam vision players. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with these players, or others that fit my criteria? I'm a bit wary of the touch screen on the Archos after hearing that it is sometimes nonresponsive or finicky, so I'm leaning toward the Samsa.

Don't want to completely hijack the thread, but I'm in this boat as well. I just lost my Creative Zen Micro 8g, which I've had since it was brand new, about 5 or 6 years. All I want out of an mp3 player is music, and it added radio and a mic, which were great bonuses that upped it over ipods out at the time. It also had video and picture capabilities, but I never used them. Since I have constant access to my comp and I only need it at work 8 gigs was more than enough.

I'm keeping things under $100, and I know that if I hit up Factory Direct I can get one for ~$50, but I have no idea about the qualities of any of the models. I'd also like to keep away from ipods altogether, if possible, because I despise itunes. Any suggestions?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream