As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls! This is the old thread. STOP POSTING HERE

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I'll start up a PSN list. If people want on it, PM me or post in thread. PM's being preferred.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm for it.

Mostlyjoe13 = Mostlyjoe on PSN.

I'm on in the evenings EST. If you want to doubleteam something shot me a PM early.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Be sure to include region, especially if you aren't on the USA servers.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm down. psn in the sig.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited August 2010

USA. Yo Gainesville! Fellow Floridan here.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I haven't been invaded or assisted yet. I'm kind of happy about that. At least for my first run-through, I'd like it to be done mostly on my own steam.

Any advice on the best way to get uchigatanas that work off my magic stat?

Moonlightstone or Darkmoonstone. I prefer Darkmoonstone myself, as it is one of the easiest materials in the game to farm and also gives you mana regen.

BTW, I got to thinking about this. You might want to go with one Darkmoonstone and one Moonlightstone if you are going dual uchi's. Crescent weapon stacking for the mana regen works on some weird rules.
    The Mana Regen rates from simultaneously wielding two crescent weapons may or may not combine. The rule is the following:
    If the two crescent weapons have the same Mana Regen/sec rating, the two Regen rates will not combine. The Regen rate will be the same as from just one.
    If the two crescent weapons have different Mana Regen/sec ratings, the two Regen rates will combine.
    This rule has been confirmed for all possible pairings of crescent weapons.

On the other hand you could have 1 fully upgraded Crescent and 1 fully upgraded Moon. It depends on your playstyle, I guess. If you are going full mage you'd want to stack Crescent/Crescent, if you are more of a mixed character (more Strength and Dex) it might be useful to go Crescent/Moon.

Though if you are pure Mage I'd wonder why you are bothering with dual Uchi's in the first place. Generally my preferred setup is Shield/Kris Knife in one hand and Crescent/Caster Item (usually Wooden Catalyst, Insanity Catalyst, or Talisman of Beasts) in the other.

Edit: Done some more reading, and apparently Moon is preferred by many for PvP, as people who do PvP tend to stack magic resist. Crescent does pure magic damage, where as Moon does Magic + Physical (from your Str and Dex). So there is that to consider as well.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't been invaded or assisted yet. I'm kind of happy about that. At least for my first run-through, I'd like it to be done mostly on my own steam.

Moonlightstone or Darkmoonstone. I prefer Darkmoonstone myself, as it is one of the easiest materials in the game to farm and also gives you mana regen.

BTW, I got to thinking about this. You might want to go with one Darkmoonstone and one Moonlightstone if you are going dual uchi's. Crescent weapon stacking for the mana regen works on some weird rules.
    The Mana Regen rates from simultaneously wielding two crescent weapons may or may not combine. The rule is the following:
    If the two crescent weapons have the same Mana Regen/sec rating, the two Regen rates will not combine. The Regen rate will be the same as from just one.
    If the two crescent weapons have different Mana Regen/sec ratings, the two Regen rates will combine.

On the other hand you could have 1 fully upgraded Crescent and 1 fully upgraded Moon. It depends on your playstyle, I guess. If you are going full mage you'd want to stack Crescent/Crescent, if you are more of a mixed character (more Strength and Dex) it might be useful to go Crescent/Moon.

Though if you are pure Mage I'd wonder why you are bothering with dual Uchi's in the first place. Generally my preferred setup is Shield/Kris Knife in one hand and Crescent/Caster Item (usually Wooden Catalyst, Insanity Catalyst, or Talisman of Beasts) in the other.

I upgraded my strength and dex only to the point where uchis would be wieldable. I am such a newbie, but the idea was to get melee weapons that worked primarily off my magic stat/would regen my mana so when I run low I can swap out and go melee for a while.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

WUT WUT FLORIDA REPRESENT

Yo Folken, are you at UF?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I upgraded my strength and dex only to the point where uchis would be wieldable. I am such a newbie, but the idea was to get melee weapons that worked primarily off my magic stat/would regen my mana so when I run low I can swap out and go melee for a while.
    Here is the thing though, generally as a mage your health will be lagging behind, and you generally won't be wearing the heaviest of armors. So a shield/weapon might be a bit better for survivability. The Uchi is really great for offense but really sucks for defense.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

Sweet. But so many are in the West coast. Melbourne here.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yeah, I'm a grad student.

I actually lived in Melbourne for 6 years though. You at FIT Joe?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Here is the thing though, generally as a mage your health will be lagging behind, and you generally won't be wearing the heaviest of armors. So a shield/weapon might be a bit better for survivability. The Uchi is really great for offense but really sucks for defense.

So what's the ideal mage weapon then? I'm using a knight shield at the moment and I like it a lot. Not sure how I want it upgraded.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I actually lived in Melbourne for 6 years though. You at FIT Joe?

Naw. Working shleb. But I use to hang with the FIT Sci-fi club. In fact I'm gonna run a Pathfinder game for some FIT students on Thursday.

Is the Rune Sword/Shield combo a decent set?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

So what's the ideal mage weapon then? I'm using a knight shield at the moment and I like it a lot. Not sure how I want it upgraded.

Typically you upgrade shields to Dark.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

For PvE definitely Crescent. You can go Moon if you expect to PvP alot and attack using melee, but usually if I have any sword out during a PvP fight it will be the Kris Knife, and I usually only use that if I'm against people who don't use magic.

For shields there are really only the two upgrade paths, just depends on your preference.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm going to have to disagree here.

The only advantage of regular shields over DSS is that they have a higher hitres. A Dark Knight Shield would have lower hitres AND lower magic resistance. That and getting Chunks of Cloudstone is a nightmare. It took me hours to get them for a Heater Shield, and they require very few.

Edit: And that was with my BSS character, so I had a pretty solid luck.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

For PvE definitely Crescent. You can go Moon if you expect to PvP alot and attack using melee, but usually if I have any sword out during a PvP fight it will be the Kris Knife, and I usually only use that if I'm against people who don't use magic.

For shields there are really only the two upgrade paths, just depends on your preference.

What is the base weapon I should be upgrading? Should I stick with that magic sword I got at the start of 4-1?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

I'm going to have to disagree here.

The only advantage of regular shields over DSS is that they have a higher hitres. A Dark Knight Shield would have lower hitres AND lower magic resistance. That and getting Chunks of Cloudstone is a nightmare. It took me hours to get them for a Heater Shield, and they require very few.

Edit: And that was with my BSS character, so I had a pretty solid luck.

Very fair. He also does have high magic apparently, so maybe his base magic defense is pretty good?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I'm annoyed enough by how hard it is to get Bladestone chunks.

Red-Eyed Skelly's in 4-2 drop them.
    I know that.
    The problem is that the bastard in the secret passage
    a) Is next to a cliff, severely limiting my mobility. Given I need the Bladestone for a Dex build, I'm not exactly in a position to take his hits
    b) Doesn't drop them nearly often enough. To hell with Soul Remains.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

What is the base weapon I should be upgrading? Should I stick with that magic sword I got at the start of 4-1?

I usually use that Crescent Falchion, as it's less upgrading I have to do and I generally like how it handles. As long as you don't mind farming the resources you can pick any of the weapons that have that upgrade available, so whatever weapon you prefer. You could even make a Crescent Uchi, I'm just not sure it's worth making 2 of them.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Isn't basically the whole point of uchis to dual wield for the stunlock in PvP? If that's the case I'll just stick with my falchion. Sorry to be so green and asking tons of questions.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Uchi's a good offhand weapon anyway, due to the initial strike being faster than in the main hand. Uchi and another weapon's a perfectly good PvE combination.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uchi's are best dual wielded, but can be good on their own. Try going through a level with an un-upgraded Uchi, see if you like how it handles.

And don't worry about being green. We were all noobs once :)

At least you aren't running around with a club and a short sword with no shirt on like one BP I saw the other day.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RE: Crescent Weapons

Wut? Crescent's do physical damage. Many prefer Moon weapons because A): in PVP as a mage if you run out of mana you're boned. And B): Moon weapons have a higher base Phys/Mag damage at each corresponding level.

I.E. A Moon Uchigatana has:
    74/111/0 at +1
    108/133/0 at +3
    143/160/0 at +5

Compared to a Crescent Uchigatana that has:
    75/92/0 at +1
    100/112/0 at +3
    125/133/0 at +5

So, with stat scaling differences, the Moon outdamages the Crescent (If my maths aren't broken) by about 58 per hit at max stats (Something like 389 to 447, again, if my maths aren't broken), which is a horrendous difference considering general health levels and swing speed. Compare that to Makoto, which hits for 300 flat Phys, albeit with a huge chance to bleed, to see the relative difference.

By the by, Epee Rapier based Mage/Phalanx? Fun as hell and hard to kill. That is all.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uchi's a good offhand weapon anyway, due to the initial strike being faster than in the main hand. Uchi and another weapon's a perfectly good PvE combination.

I don't see the point of dual weapon styles. I lose the utility of a shield for nothing. It's not like (in most cases) it's any better than spamswinging one weapon anyway.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think my game is glitched this playthrough. Urbain and Patches are GONE. *poof* Not there. Unless they don't show up in pure white for some reason.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Moon physical damage scales with stats, where as Crescent only scales with magical. As I understood it that would mean a much higher percentage of your damage would be physical compared to a Crescent weapon, which would be better if you are dealing with people stacking magic resist.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I don't see the point of dual weapon styles. I lose the utility of a shield for nothing. It's not like (in most cases) it's any better than spamswinging one weapon anyway.

All I ever read on other boards are how broken dual katana players are in PvP unless you can break their weapons somehow. There are guides dedicated to beating them.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

All I ever read on other boards are how broken dual katana players are in PvP unless you can break their weapons somehow. There are guides dedicated to beating them.

Anything aside from katanas viable though?

Kazaka on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

As someone who has experimented with dual uchis I do not understand why this can be the case

I just don't grok dual weilding

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmmm. Do any weapons work off of Faith? Besides demanding having a high score in it to use Isolde, Moonlight, and Bramdt?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmmm. Do any weapons work off of Faith? Besides demanding having a high score in it to use Isolde, Moonlight, and Bramdt?

Blessed weapons and Istarelle, LSoM, Meat Cleaver, Hands of God.

edit: BBS in a really minor way

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Ah. That explaines why Isarelle, LSoM have the highest damage output for me. Gonna have to make me a Meat Cleaver though. Gotta find the Hands of God though.

Right now my dex is high enough to use Isarelle so I'm done there. I'm just going to raise my MP and Faith for a few soul levels.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Ah. That explaines why Isarelle, LSoM have the highest damage output for me. Gonna have to make me a Meat Cleaver though. Gotta find the Hands of God though.

If you can make a meat claver you should already have found the Hands of God

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I was considering DWing the Hands of God just for the Bawss Factor

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Almost. I can't quite make a Meat Cleaver. The only Archdeamon I've taken down was the Dragon God. Making up my mind if the 4-3, 5-3 should be handled next. Then I'll finish 3-2 and work on dealing with the Monk.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Moon physical damage scales with stats, where as Crescent only scales with magical. As I understood it that would mean a much higher percentage of your damage would be physical compared to a Crescent weapon, which would be better if you are dealing with people stacking magic resist.

Ah, I apologize. I misunderstood your previous post. It sounded to me like you were saying that a Crescent weapon was akin to the LSoM, doing magic damage and magic damage only. With this clarification and re-reading the original post I understand where you are coming from, and agree that you are indeed correct.

But, what I said is also true, because unless you're fighting a faith based build magic defense is still kinda lacking in most BPs, due to the abject love of light armor. It's been my experience with both weapons that the overall increase in damage is the kicker for most fights. It has been rare that I have seen people wearing DSA or something with high Mag Res with a DSS or Rune Shield.

Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Almost. I can't quite make a Meat Cleaver. The only Archdeamon I've taken down was the Dragon God. Making up my mind if the 4-3, 5-3 should be handled next. Then I'll finish 3-2 and work on dealing with the Monk.

The Hands of God are in 2-2

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Must have missed them. But ugh 2-2 eh? Time to head back.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Must have missed them. But ugh 2-2 eh? Time to head back.

They're near the Flamelurker archstone

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing