As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monday Night Combat - You got DotA in my Guns!

1565758596062»

• Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The biggest issue I have with a decent (or better) support is when they are able to setup on Steel Peel. It is very difficult to remove them since a hacked turret on the upper level can pretty easily ravage an entire side with the support both safely protected and able to rain down airstrikes.

I am not sure how difficult this is to actually configure since I rarely play as support but it seems to inevitably lead to my teams downfall. Then again I just loathe that map in general so my disgust may just be exaggerating the whole event in my head.

Getting set up there can be pretty tricky, since you're so exposed, snipers and gunners can usually take out the firebase from their spawn and a support can kill it in one airstrike.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    All I want is for them to find a way to keep supports from camping next to their turrets. Seriously, that's all I think needs to be fixed. Even if they need to buff him in some other area to make up for it, I wouldn't mind. But having my game come to a screeching halt because some entrenched support has plopped down if front of my base, forcing me to spend agonizing minutes dealing with him, really makes me want to see people use the support in a different way. Honestly, to everyone here playing as support who doesn't think support is op, ask yourself what your favorite strategy is? If it's pushing into an opponents base and plopping down a turret? If so, then I have two things to say to you.

1. That's exactly what you should be doing because it's the most effective strategy.
    2. I wish is wasn't so effective because it's boring to do, easy as walking, annoying as hell and way too common.

enderjsv on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    enderjsv wrote: »
    1. That's exactly what you should be doing because it's the most effective strategy.
    2. I wish is wasn't so effective because it's boring to do, easy as walking, annoying as hell and way too common.

Plopping down a firebase in the middle of someone else's base, or even close to it is far from easy.

Now, a support following his team, setting up behind them as they assault the base, dropping his firebase, hacking it and laying down support fire? That's call being a good player.

But again, far from easy.

Seriously, we should play sometime. Maybe you can school me in how easy it is for a single Support to own a map like you keep describing. Because right now, I'm calling BS.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The biggest issue I have with a decent (or better) support is when they are able to setup on Steel Peel. It is very difficult to remove them since a hacked turret on the upper level can pretty easily ravage an entire side with the support both safely protected and able to rain down airstrikes.

I am not sure how difficult this is to actually configure since I rarely play as support but it seems to inevitably lead to my teams downfall. Then again I just loathe that map in general so my disgust may just be exaggerating the whole event in my head.

Your support should take the time to throw an air strike underneath them.

Quid on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Quid wrote: »

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read this.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Tommatt wrote: »

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read this.

I think I'd rather be holding that spot with ice traps and flak... mmm... G Armor/S Skill/B RoF Sniper...

KillerBeeGees on
  • Options
    dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    dinoarus wrote: »
    Don't forget, with the patch "splash air strike damages" will be changed. What this means...?

Probably means you won't be killed by an air strike that lands 10 ft away from you anymore. (an exaggeration)

They are likely looking at reducing the radius of damage because, in my opinion, it is too large for the damage inflicted.

From the wording of the patch, I don't think they're changing how the air strike works, they're probably just fixing the bug where airstrike damage can hit through floors. The radius is comparable to the assault bomb, and less than flak, so it seems fine to me.

I play assault as my main and the only bomb instakill I get is a direct stick or a ring out, not to mention it is a 1 person kill, I only get one, and it doesn't work if I'm dead. I don't think they are comparable.

I was talking specifically about the radius. But honestly, I find the assault bomb just as useful as airstrikes. The airstrike is better vs bots/turrets, while the bomb is better against pros. The fact that you can detonate it anytime makes it so much more versatile.

I like the idea of capping the amount of juice gained when healing each turret/bot, but the actual amount should still be reduced. Capping it per unit would just mean the supports sit next to their bot spawn instead of next to a single turret.

the easiest way to beat a support is just to not let them get entrenched. check the common firebase spots at the start of the match, and just take them out while they're setting up/hacking. as long as you keep a consistent push it should be very hard for them to get set up.

edit: ha BeeGees thats the exact sniper build I use.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

This.

This is the problem.

Support's main counter (most of the time) is another Support. Which mean your team HAS to have a Support, else you lose.

There is not another class in this game that is necessary to win. That's my problem with the Support class.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Steel Peel bugged me until I learned to use the back door a little more and realized that controlling the middle is 100% everything on that map.

I know there's limited maps, but Steel Peel just comes up so damn much I get sick of it, give me more Ammo Mule!

Also, we don't have to do it just yet, but we are nearing 100 pages. I can take the helm if nobody else has been secretely creating an OP.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ObiFett wrote: »

This.

This is the problem.

Support's main counter (most of the time) is another Support. Which mean your team HAS to have a Support, else you lose.

There is not another class in this game that is necessary to win. That's my problem with the Support class.

It's really not as difficult as all that to lob Mortar fire at the firebase as a Gunner.

And even if they're actively healing it, it only takes like three shots and it explodes and chances are you did damage to the Support while you were doing it.

I mean, I only play Support every so often, far more often it's Tank or Gunner, and I don't see these issues people are having with Support.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My main issue with Steel Peel is the fact that Supports, Snipers and Gunners can easily set up overlooking one half of a base and completely lock it down. Also, I keep lagging into the doompit in the middle.

EtherealWalrus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    My main issue with Steel Peel is the fact that Supports, Snipers and Gunners can easily set up overlooking one half of a base and completely lock it down. Also, I keep lagging into the doompit in the middle.

Snipers in Steel Peel make me rage so hard

They just dance in and out of their base behind the rockit turret, shooting down the lane directly into the other base. Such a terrible map.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    SamuraiGattsSamuraiGatts Bearded Bully Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On a completely unrelated thread note:

Does anyone know if there is a ringtone somewhere, or has the ability to make a ringtone, of the menu screen music? That song gets stuck in my head after playing a bit and I think it would be funny as a ringtone.

SamuraiGatts on
  • Options
    T0MBERENGERT0MBERENGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ObiFett wrote: »

They tell you this in the game. Without a support you will not win against other teams.

T0MBERENGER on
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Team Infinite Support was the most fun I've had with this game.

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alright, I have a template for a new OP, although the current one is pretty comprehensive as it is, so I only made a few adjustments.

Last chance, nobody else was waiting in the wings?

EDIT: Well, I have to head off for a few hours and it doesn't need to be done yet, so if the thread reaches critical mass and I'm still away someone else is free to do it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Dead!Dead! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    After reading the responses to my post, I can see that opinions on Supports are pretty widely dispersed. (And also, apparently, a great way to kick-start a thread.)

I will say this, however, in response to Supports needing to upgrade to be effective: When I play Support, my custom class is Gold Skill Recharge, Silver Armor, and Bronze Health Regeneration. Furthermore, my initial cash goes to exactly 2 skills: Hack and Firebase. A 2.2 Firebase is fairly resilient and can do quite a bit of damage. When placed close to the enemy base, especially on GrenADE III, I can effectively dominate a bot lane from the start of the match. Add airstrikes that kill a bot or pro caught in the radius, and do massive damage to turrets, and my conclusion is that the class is over-powered.

On the subject of Sniper headshots, I'm fine with them doing a lot of damage, but I would like it if it were possible to take either Gold or Silver Armor and survive them. Under those circumstances, you will still die if you got trapped (which is your own fault/good play on the Sniper's part), but random headshots would be less aggravating, because you have the option to mitigate the damage.

Edit: I'm getting on now. If you want to play, message me.

Dead! on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Dead! wrote: »
    After reading the responses to my post, I can see that opinions on Supports are pretty widely dispersed. (And also, apparently, a great way to kick-start a thread.)

I will say this, however, in response to Supports needing to upgrade to be effective: When I play Support, my custom class is Gold Skill Recharge, Silver Armor, and Bronze Health Regeneration. Furthermore, my initial cash goes to exactly 2 skills: Hack and Firebase. A 2.2 Firebase is fairly resilient and can do quite a bit of damage. When placed close to the enemy base, especially on GrenADE III, I can effectively dominate a bot lane from the start of the match. Add airstrikes that kill a bot or pro caught in the radius, and do massive damage to turrets, and my conclusion is that the class is over-powered.

On the subject of Sniper headshots, I'm fine with them doing a lot of damage, but I would like it if it were possible to take either Gold or Silver Armor and survive them. Under those circumstances, you will still die if you got trapped (which is your own fault/good play on the Sniper's part), but random headshots would be less aggravating, because you have the option to mitigate the damage.

Edit: I'm getting on now. If you want to play, message me.

G3 is, in my opinion, the most Pro-Support map so far. Possibly the only one where I could entertain any such notion that the Support is too powerful.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I think a tank with gold armor and some passives will survive a headshot. You might want to get rid of your support custom class, since it has the same endorsements as the default one. Could free up a slot for another class.

dinoarus on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    +
    dinoarus wrote: »
    I think a tank with gold armor and some passives will survive a headshot. You might want to get rid of your support custom class, since it has the same endorsements as the default one. Could free up a slot for another class.

I didn't think it was, but thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: You are right, it is the default class. I'm not as ingenious as I thought. Time to try something new.

Dead! on
  • Options
    KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Sorry Dead, I've been having trouble joining people the last couple of days. Then I tried to hard wire my xbox and now it's not working quite right. Hopefully I'll be joining you shortly.

KillerBeeGees on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sorry Dead, I've been having trouble joining people the last couple of days. Then I tried to hard wire my xbox and now it's not working quite right. Hopefully I'll be joining you shortly.

No problem, it was fun while it lasted.

Dead! on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    oh ffs, support is not that OP, a single tank, gunner, sniper or support can ridiculously easily take out a firebase and most likely the support with it. If you're a tank and dying to a support's fb you are doing it way fucking wrong. A gunner and sniper can easily out hurt a firebase on their lonesome and most of the time an assault can too. An assassin shouldn't be able to just take out a support by their firebase but I've found that there are ways around it. You talk like a support is impossible to de-trench then you talk about how they get all this help from bots and pros, that's just entitlement bullshit, do you bitch when other opposing player's teammates come and help them out of a jam?

To let you know I play as every class pretty consistently, except the sniper—gotta get a build for it first, was that armor, skills rof you guys were talking about?

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sanguinary wrote: »
    oh ffs, support is not that OP, a single tank, gunner, sniper or support can ridiculously easily take out a firebase and most likely the support with it. If you're a tank and dying to a support's fb you are doing it way fucking wrong. A gunner and sniper can easily out hurt a firebase on their lonesome and most of the time an assault can too. An assassin shouldn't be able to just take out a support by their firebase but I've found that there are ways around it. You talk like a support is impossible to de-trench then you talk about how they get all this help from bots and pros, that's just entitlement bullshit, do you bitch when other opposing player's teammates come and help them out of a jam?

To let you know I play as every class pretty consistently, except the sniper—gotta get a build for it first, was that armor, skills rof you guys were talking about?

Assassin can pretty easily take out the Support once the Firebase starts shooting at bots, though they may not have enough time to also take out the firebase depending on what bots there are. (If it's a group with two blackjacks, I think the Assassin would have enough time between that and a smoke bomb)

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    yep, armor, skills and rof on my sniper. I dont do much actual sniping though, the skills are just too good to waste.

sorry for ignoring invites, had people over and the splitscreen lag is horrendous in crossfire.

need to hurry up and knock out the 2500 minigun tag so I can start playing more assault/tank.

dinoarus on
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Sanguinary wrote: »

Assassin can pretty easily take out the Support once the Firebase starts shooting at bots, though they may not have enough time to also take out the firebase depending on what bots there are. (If it's a group with two blackjacks, I think the Assassin would have enough time between that and a smoke bomb)

Ah, yar, that's one of the ways I was referring to. There's another 1 or 2 that're pretty much guaranteed to kill the support or the fb given a moment. Also, if you're an assassin and you're close to someone but they may have noticed you, the whole blinding smoke bombs works wonders. Just sayin'.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm back!

Let me get this new thread up and running.
    You want a snow cone while I'm at it?

EDIT: NEW THREAD

PaperLuigi44 on
This discussion has been closed.