As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ancient [Chat]ese Secret

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Watching that fencing clip Winky posted. Man, sport fencing is weird. Like, it's kind of interesting from one perspective, but how utterly divorced it is from actual sword fighting makes it hard for me to be that interested in it.

It's like, some strange contest to see who can touch the guy with the whippy piece of metal first.

Uh, that's kind of what sword fighting is? The first person to seriously wound the other person generally wins and putting 6 inches of steel into someone's chest usually qualifies.

The weapon they use in sport fencing is way too light and flexible to actually be a sword that you would cut and stab with, and they way they whip it at each other is something you can't do with an actual sword. They aren't striking what would really be blows in an actual fight, so much as just touching each other, if that makes sense.

It's really hard to write the letter Z on a guy's chest with a broad sword, Inquisitor.

What sport fencers fence with is super light and bendy compared to rapiers Sarks, not even other swords. :P

Inquisitor on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Yeah.

I lucked out in that working 2nd shift in the server room means I get to wear jeans and any shirt that isn't like an Iron Maiden shirt or something.

But most of the rest of the office does the polo thing.

Maybe the loan officers and whatnot dress nicer since they deal more directly with customers and their money.

We wear jeans on friday, but honestly after working fast food for 3 and half years and wearing jeans I like the idea of having "dress down" clothes.

When I worked for Waldenbooks, the dress code for booksellers was business casual. When I transferred to Borders, the dress code was "No political messages and no holes". I was constantly mistaken for a manager then. When I went to Half-Price Books, the dress code was "No pro-drug t-shirts". I stood out like a sore thumb.

Thomamelas on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Watching that fencing clip Winky posted. Man, sport fencing is weird. Like, it's kind of interesting from one perspective, but how utterly divorced it is from actual sword fighting makes it hard for me to be that interested in it.

It's like, some strange contest to see who can touch the guy with the whippy piece of metal first.

Uh, that's kind of what sword fighting is? The first person to seriously wound the other person generally wins and putting 6 inches of steel into someone's chest usually qualifies.

The weapon they use in sport fencing is way too light and flexible to actually be a sword that you would cut and stab with, and they way they whip it at each other is something you can't do with an actual sword. They aren't striking what would really be blows in an actual fight, so much as just touching each other, if that makes sense.

It's really hard to write the letter Z on a guy's chest with a broad sword, Inquisitor.

maybe for a bitch

You end up hacking the guy's head and legs off and cutting his chest in half like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Sarksus on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    FWW why do you know so much about persian stuff anyway

You live in SoCal don't you

Naw, Bay Area. A few of my homies are persian though. I lived with a persian girl for two years in college too. She's hells of (as you'd say) sefeed but her dad was oh my god scary traditional persian man who more or less promised to fucked my shit up if I touched his daughter.

But anyway, lots of persians in SF. They're fun to party with.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I dunno I prefer fights where one guy takes on lots of dudes. Like Tony Jaa and his bukkake of violence.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas, are you on? I missed you this morning.

Ah, no worries. You had been asking about interest in a MM game and I was gonna express interest.

Thomamelas on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Yeah.

I lucked out in that working 2nd shift in the server room means I get to wear jeans and any shirt that isn't like an Iron Maiden shirt or something.

Maybe the loan officers and whatnot dress nicer since they deal more directly with customers and their money.

We wear jeans on friday, but honestly after working fast food for 3 and half years and wearing jeans I like the idea of having "dress down" clothes.

When I worked for Waldenbooks, the dress code for booksellers was business casual. When I transferred to Borders, the dress code was "No political messages and no holes". I was constantly mistaken for a manager then. When I went to Half-Price Books, the dress code was "No pro-drug t-shirts". I stood out like a sore thumb.

Man. Walden Books is where I discovered D&D.

♪ Meeeeemoriiiiieees ♪

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

maybe for a bitch

You end up hacking the guy's head and legs off and cutting his chest in half like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Especially if you like your sandwiches with the crust off.

mrflippy on
    edited August 2010
    I dunno I prefer fights where one guy takes on lots of dudes. Like Tony Jaa and his bukkake of violence.

Those are always fun to watch. Especially if it's Jackie Chan as a drunken master.

Inquisitor on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you're talking like olympic fencing with foils then yeah. But like the stuff Other Mike posted they're using actual rapiers and if they weren't dulled and whatnot they'd damn sure be able to cut you up baaadly.

HappylilElf on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

maybe for a bitch

hehehehehe

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh and I took a few classes in farsi at UCSC to try to impress a girl once, but that was short lived.

firewaterword on
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Yeah.

Man. Walden Books is where I discovered D&D.

♪ Meeeeemoriiiiieees ♪

Waldenbooks was an interesting place to work. Had some fun co-workers there.

Thomamelas on
    edited August 2010

maybe for a bitch

hehehehehe

What you laughin' at!

Sarksus on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Whenever Twitter is down I get an urge to tweet about it. Addiction!

So hello, [chat].

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    time for bed, methinks. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

night [chat].

BobCesca on
    edited August 2010

If you're talking like olympic fencing with foils then yeah. But liek the stuff Other Mike posted they're using actual rapiers and if they weren't dulled and whatnot they'd damn sure be able to cut you up baaadly.

Of course I'm talking olympic fencing ya silly git, that's the video Winky linked. The video from Other Mike is the one I linked, because that's the kind of fencing I am doing. And eh, rapiers still ain't great at cutting, though they could, but the cuts are more to distract/harass than kill, rapiers are fer stabbing.

Inquisitor on
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Two of my lab mates wander over to my desk.

Them: "What is this!" Pointing at my tack-board.

Me: "Umm, southern bot, western blot, embryo stages..."

Them: "You are abnormal! Your desk looks like the desk of a jerk! Put up some personal pictures!"

:(

I have toys on my windowsill. Thats personal. Kinda.

Galahad on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Those are always fun to watch. Especially if it's Jackie Chan as a drunken master.

Chan's all right, but he doesn't deliver hits like Jaa, or Li. I prefer to see something that makes me wince, and Jaa is the fucking master of making you wince. Especially the bone breaking scene from the protector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0E8AP3uqs

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh and I took a few classes in farsi at UCSC to try to impress a girl once, but that was short lived.

man I hope it wasn't a persian girl

especially not a california persian girl

You will never live up to her standards, my friend, no matter what you do

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Galahad wrote: »

Them: "You are abnormal! Your desk looks like the desk of a jerk! Put up some personal pictures!"

Stop being such a jerk and take pictures of some random kids.

Chanus on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

What if I be Persian?

Winky on
    edited August 2010
    Man, if you are posting Jaa Preacher post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K06wDn3XsZE&feature=related

Not some elephant crap :P

Inquisitor on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want to make a movie with Tony Jaa.

That is just two hours of people doing stuff for about 10-40 seconds

then suddenly interrupted

as Tony Jaa runs in from off-camera

and does a flying knee to their head.

Like: "Guy gets off a bus, checks his watch, sighs, FLYING KNEE TO THE HEAD!"

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
    edited August 2010

She'll make you drive her daddy's BMW because your car is a piece of crap and text her friends while you're on a date and fast food isn't even good enough for her!

Sarksus on
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Winky wrote: »

What if I be Persian?

your mustache will never be silky enough

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Fuck em. It's your personal work space.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010

maybe for a bitch

hehehehehe

What you laughin' at!

look she knows how to tell a man from an upstate new yorker don't hate

Organichu on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

If you're talking like olympic fencing with foils then yeah. But liek the stuff Other Mike posted they're using actual rapiers and if they weren't dulled and whatnot they'd damn sure be able to cut you up baaadly.

Of course I'm talking olympic fencing ya silly git, that's the video Winky linked. The video from Other Mike is the one I linked, because that's the kind of fencing I am doing. And eh, rapiers still ain't great at cutting, though they could, but the cuts are more to distract/harass than kill, rapiers are fer stabbing.

Who is Other Mike?

Winky on
    edited August 2010

What if I be Persian?

your mustache will never be silky enough

Can Winks grow a mustache?

Chanus on
    edited August 2010

Ok but if you're talking about the kind of fencing in the vid you posted why are we talking about olympic fencing?

Stop trying to confuse me, Inq!

Yeah rapiers are totes stabbity stab stab weaons although if you do it right you can sever some realy importat things like tendons.

HappylilElf on
    edited August 2010

God tell me about it. That shit was insurmountable.

It did make my following relationship seem like ez-mode though!

firewaterword on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

She'll make you drive her daddy's BMW because your car is a piece of crap and text her friends while you're on a date and fast food isn't even good enough for her!

"What do you mean you don't consider In-n-Out a delicacy? I even sprung for the animal style fries! Ahhhh, why you busting my chops here?"

He became Italian at the very end for some reason.

Gim on
    edited August 2010
    Oooh... waiting for backup to finish to I can leave work... giant fuck thunderstorms rolling in... it's a race against tiiiiime!

Chanus on
    edited August 2010

Who is Other Mike?

Dude who works at PA. Was featured in one of the episodes doing his fencing stuff and then posted in the thread about the episode with more info when it becamse apparent there was much interest.

HappylilElf on
    edited August 2010

maybe for a bitch

hehehehehe

What you laughin' at!

look she knows how to tell a man from an upstate new yorker don't hate

I'm going to invite you into my home and then set the animal hide door on fire.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    Other Mike is the Mike that works for PA that is not Gabe.

Elf: I was talking about olympic fencing originally! :P

Inquisitor on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Ok but if you're talking about the kind of fencing in the vid you posted why are we talking about olympic fencing?

Stop trying to confuse me, Inq!

Yeah rapiers are totes stabbity stab stab weaons although if you do it right you can sever some realy importat things like tendons.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Chanus wrote: »

Stop being such a jerk and take pictures of some random kids.

That would be pretty amusing actually.

I could just steal some of the placeholder pictures out from the inside of some picture frames and tack those up.

Make up elaborate family histories for all of them.

Galahad on
    edited August 2010
    Jeez VH, stop white knighting Inquisitor.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.