As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Converting a bootable flash drive to a bootable cd

theclamtheclam Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a flash drive that I custom built that will boot multiple OSes. It's got Ubuntu, a hard disc scanner, several antivirus rescue discs, etc. It boots just fine, but I want to make bootable DVDs that are copies of it. I use grubinst to write the boot record to the drive, then I copy all my files in. It's using grub4dos to boot.

The problem is that I can't figure out a way to make a DVD bootable. I tried running grubinst on a virtual floppy drive and using an ISO creator to copy the boot image to an ISO containing all the files from the usb drive. That didn't work. It eventually loads a grub command line, instead of loading from my menu.lst file. If I try running the commands from that menu.lst file, it won't boot anything. Then I tried using ImgBurn to extract a boot image and then burning that to an ISO. That didn't work. It just gets me to a black screen with an unblinking cursor.

Any ideas?

EDIT: To give a little more info, I started with a bootable Windows PE ISO that works just fine. I tried editing it to add the other OSes and saving it, but the ISO becomes unbootable when I do that, even though it works fine if I do that on the USB.

rez_guy.png
theclam on