As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stuff

NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade UsernameRegistered User regular
edited October 2021 in Artist's Corner

NightDragon on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    These are all terrible, those swords are particularly bad and in no way shape or form make me want to ride gloriously into battle for the love of Gondor.

Mustang on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rockin hard ND! Your handles for your axes and spears are relatively the same. Could use some more interesting shapes for those.

but yes everything here is really aweomse. armadillo is very cool. kinda dark crystal-esque. I love your sword variations.

PROX on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm....you're right. And that would be easy to fix! Thanka. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Always happy to help!

Also dont just think about attaching parts, the parts have to look functional even for these simple weapons. so how thick does that spear have to be to feel like you can really thrust with it?

poast moar plz. then I can help even more. as a team. with uniforms.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    so how thick does that spear have to be to feel like you can really thrust with it?

They're made of a metal material, so I figured that would offer enough heft.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome stuff.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think im stuck in warcraft mode so everything has to be thick. that being said, thin objects dont do well in games. You get that non-antialiased thing going.

PROX on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm digging these a lot. How do you get your weapons to look so symmetrical?

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really? Freehand? The whole point of thumbnail concepts is efficiency. Flip that shit and draw another 20 swords with the time you just saved.

I'm not really sold on any of the weapon designs. They're falling into the same "study from real life first" chasm that animu and stylized superhero anatomy resides in. All form, no function (and yes, they look like WoW weapons. WoW weapons are horrible designs.) You're just making differently styled blades and guards and hilts, without any real understanding as to what the basic structure is.
    And yes, even swords follow a structure that has a little more nuance then "blade, guard, hilt". A good design should look balanced and comfortable, with a readable silhouette that tells how it handles (fast and light, heavy and powerful, etc etc). 90% of this work is already done for you if you study some real world swords and use them as archetypes to build more exaggerated and fancy designs off of. There are THOUSANDS of realworld sword designs and types that you should be using as inspiration, not generic fantasy brickabrack.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's true, flipping would save you all kinds of time. especially when it comes to modeling and texturing. Gibs also has a point about function. Of course I'm guilty of the same thing with my sword. I did go on wikipedia and research claymores and different parts. And it looks like you did too. I think it's just a matter of getting more in-depth.

I mean #4 sword is pretty crazy lookin. It has a really fun handle. But with a handle like that, you wouldnt be able to swing it easily both ways. Which is why most curved swords have the blade on one side.

PROX on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    el coro made a lot good points in his weapon design dvd. Gibs hit on just about all of them.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'd say Blizzard gets away with it because at least they're consistent. EVERYTHING in WoW is overblown and cartoony and redundant from the weapons and armor, to the characters and architecture. I still think they're stupid, boarderline-japanese levels of ridiculousness, but they fit with the world they're in.

Most of the stuff you do ND, is pretty well grounded in reality and rendered such. I can't really see any of your characters wielding any of those weapons and have it look synergetic.

I highly recommend the book "Weapons" by the diagram group by the diagram group. It has a pretty complete history of weapons with easy to understand explanations of their basic mechanics, and several hundred excellent diagrams of historical examples. I keep it on hand all the time as a launching point for ideas, as there's plenty of weird and obscure weapon types with interesting ideas from all around the world.

As a general rule of thumb though, most ornate weapons keep pretty much the same shape and function as their non-fancy kin. You won't see many real world swords with crazily shaped blades, because thats the function part of the weapon. Pretty much anything else you can find examples of folks going nuts with (hilts, guards, pommels, the flat of the blade, etc) because adding ornateness there doesn't hamper the effect of the weapon.

100_104a_038.jpg

Look at these polearms. They're fancy and ornate and probably only used by honor guards in parades, but the FUNCTIONAL parts of the weapons are still pretty clean. The detail is crammed into the areas that arnt important to the effectiveness of the weapon, like behind or under the cutting edge. Design the weapon FIRST. The decoration comes afterwards.

Prox pointed out sword #4 being a cool idea, and it is, it just doesn't have the structure to back it up. Like a cool character costume with horrible anatomy.
    The general public may not know specifically what the problems are, but like poor anamtomy, theyve seen enough swords and held enough sticks to know when something doesnt look right.
    The sword has no tang (the part that goes into the grip) and would snap off the handle in an instant. It's symetrical and slim, which is a quality good for stabbing weapons, yet the handle is curved and off center, a quality good for slashing weapons. The handguard is angled in such a way that it doesn't sit well in a persons hand (the middle bit would poke them). Again, it COULD be an interesting design, if you had the structure to back it up.

I'm raggin on you alot, but you know how I am with killy things :p
    I won't let people get away with drawing a box and a cylinder for a gun, and I won't let you get away with this for swords.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    that character turnaround is remarkable

turning the form in your mind is an incredibly difficult process, and rending it accurately can be maddening

lovely work, as usual

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    1, 2, 5, 7, and 8 are my favorites. I think that 8 is the best of them all, though.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4 no diggity

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    8 or 10 ... I like 2 and 5 but they lack liveliness.

tynic on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I could get behind 4 if the darker foot tones were in carried into the hands, as well. As is it I'm gonna confuse matters and say I like 3. I'm partial to hotter, saturated color. 8's cool too, though, in a diametrically-opposite kinda way.

Maybe these color variants are all options when you create your character.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like 2 and 8.

But if you texture it with colour variations in mind, there should be no reason why you can't do all of them pretty easily.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    2+4

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    6+8

Though i kinda wish for higher contrast.

PROX on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    coworker likes 5+6

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The texturing is probably going to be relatively complicated, so doing additional color variations would be more than just sliding some photoshop sliders around, or going over large sections with the airbrush...so I think doing all of them is out of the question, for me.

Exactly how do you plan on setting up the colouring process? Flexibility is a good thing to learn for the industry. It really shouldn't take more than a few slider tweaks to change the colour scheme, especially with something as relatively straight forward as this (there's no crazy clothing or different materials).

Like, the diffuse map essentially controls the colours. Set that up with enough layers that you can easily and quickly change the tone and shade.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't want to make this project too overwhelming for myself just yet

Yes you do. How else will you feel comfortable and at home?

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    fair 'nuff. :p

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    2,4,8, and 10.

The seem to have a nice vibrancy and 8 seems it would do well in forests, while some of the other ones more sandy terrain for camouflage.

But yesssss this look so bitching, great job ND!

And I'm with you, I rarely use colour tweaks unless I'm exploring a colour to paint over it. Too often I try and mess with the pattern the colour is forming over the concept. It really counts on the importance of the concept for me, or if it needs patterning.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    jeremyhjeremyh Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, I don't really have anything constructive to suggest. Just wanted to say that I really enjoy your work especially your paintings. Good luck with your portfolio studies!

jeremyh on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    6 is my favourite, followed by 2 I think.

Flay on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like 5 the best!

melting_doll on