As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Castlevania HoD - I'm interested in this!

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The only part of the DLC that is in the base game is the items (some of which don't work, such as the Legion soul) and some voice clips for the existing characters calling out the names of the DLC characters for dual crushes (presumably so they wouldn't have to get back the voice actors later).

The new characters (Julius, Maria, Yoko, etc.) and stages (Pyramid) are not in the base game, but were leaked from Partner Net a while back when they were being tested (except for Yoko), so we do know a good deal about them and that's how videos exist of them.

Presumably the items are in the game so that people that get the DLC stages and get the new items there will still be able to use those items when they play with people who don't have the DLC. Not sure what happens in regards to DLC characters but it's rumored you won't be able to select those characters if you join a room where someone doesn't have the DLC.

As for the new boss, from what I heard she is pretty tough but I don't think she's harder than form 3 Dracula (I haven't heard of any attack similar to Demonic Meggido).
    She has a temptation attack that is harder to dodge than Dracula's and it effects males instead of females.
    The only other attack I heard that she had was Delta Spark, which Charlotte can learn from her (and Soma uses if he gets her soul). I'm guessing it's a variant of Dracula's triangles.

Lars on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The best thing the DLC can do is make it so that people will play Soma/Alucard less and maybe learn how to dodge bosses instead of just hoping they lawnmower them to death before they get killed.

Walt on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a quick question I hope someone can answer, even though it's not directly related to Castlevania. So I'm running the meta tag for us... The Gold trial on that account expired last week. I can see my friends list on the xbox.com site, but I just wanted to make sure I would be able to see and approve friend requests from there with only a Silver account. Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

BTW, apologies if anyone has tried to join the list recently... I've been out of town.

CyberJackal on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a quick question I hope someone can answer, even though it's not directly related to Castlevania. So I'm running the meta tag for us... The Gold trial on that account expired last week. I can see my friends list on the xbox.com site, but I just wanted to make sure I would be able to see and approve friend requests from there with only a Silver account. Does anyone know if that's the case or not?

BTW, apologies if anyone has tried to join the list recently... I've been out of town.

I believe so. As I recall the only restriction of Silver accounts (aside from not being able to download demos right away and whatever other pointless fluff MS puts on there to justify Gold's costs) is not being able to play multiplayer. All the other Live features like friends should still work fine.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Apparently over the last few days the icon for the game has been changing. It was originally Soma from launch until a few days ago and then it changed to Julius for three days, then it changed to Yoko for three days. Today it changed to Maria.

This is leading people to speculate that Maria will be the icon for three more days, then it will switch to another character (likely Richter) for three days which will bring us to the day XBox Live usually updates with game addons and such. So people are hoping that will be the day the DLC comes out, and hopefully actually include the first two waves since they have now hinted Julius, Yoko, and Maria with time for one more (so four characters and two stages) instead of just Julius, Yoko, and Pyramid stage like previously suspected.

Where is this? I checked the Konami site but didn't see anything.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited September 2010
    Recently Played Games list on XBL.

Walt on
    edited September 2010
    Also it looks like it did indeed change to Maria.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited September 2010
    So if there is any truth to that rumor, we'll get the DLC this week. That should hold me over until LoS comes out.

Capt Howdy on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd be cool if there was DLC for this soon, I feel like I didn't play it enough when it came out even though I played the shit out of it.

But...wouldn't' it have been on major's release list for the month, when it was released last week?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just beat level 1 solo with Shanoa. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I feel like I accomplished something. I totally suck at this game. That was probably my 7th attempt before I actually made it to the end. Most of the time I couldn't get out of the water room with the mermen. Only reason I made it out with Shanoa is because of her Magnes glyph. Not sure how to get out with the other dudes like Jonathan Morris or Alucard.

Lucascraft on
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd be cool if there was DLC for this soon, I feel like I didn't play it enough when it came out even though I played the shit out of it.

But...wouldn't' it have been on major's release list for the month, when it was released last week?
    He didn't list Blade Kitten as an arcade release even though it did come out last week. So who knows.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
    edited September 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just beat level 1 solo with Shanoa. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I feel like I accomplished something. I totally suck at this game. That was probably my 7th attempt before I actually made it to the end. Most of the time I couldn't get out of the water room with the mermen. Only reason I made it out with Shanoa is because of her Magnes glyph. Not sure how to get out with the other dudes like Jonathan Morris or Alucard.

Play with me/us sometime and I'll take you on the grand tour of the game.

Walt on
    edited September 2010
    New DLC this morning:

Stage 7 - Beauty, Desire, Situation Dire

Pyramid stage inspired by psychadelic Egyptian art.

To get the secret item
    go to the top of the pyramid and double jump

New boss is Astarte,
    who is all but immune to Valmanway/Yasutsuna and any slashing weapon. If you want to beat her you have to use Holy magic and Blunt weapons. She has a new magic attack Charlotte can absorb (Delta Spark) and a new soul for Soma.

Use Fist of Tulkas with Alucard and Claimh Solais with Soma if you expect to take her down on Hard.

She also has a nasty seduce attack that is pretty hard to dodge. Soma can kick jump off her head and hover with Medusa soul to dodge it, Alucard can mist form, Jonathan can Sonic Strike or Roll through it, and it does minor damage to Shanoa and Charlotte but doesn't mind control.
    Goodbye OP Soma/Alucard, hello OP Alucard/Shanoa.

Walt on
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    New DLC this morning:

Stage 7 - Beauty, Desire, Situation Dire

Pyramid stage inspired by psychadelic Egyptian art.

To get the secret item
    go to the top of the pyramid and hold down

New boss is Astarte,
    who is all but immune to Valmanway/Yasutsuna and any slashing weapon. If you want to beat her you have to use Holy magic and Blunt weapons. She has a new magic attack Charlotte can absorb (Delta Spark) and a new soul for Soma.

Use Fist of Tulkas with Alucard and Claimh Solais with Soma if you expect to take her down on Hard.

She also has a nasty seduce attack that is pretty hard to dodge. Soma can kick jump off her head and hover with Medusa soul to dodge it, Alucard can mist form, Jonathan can Sonic Strike or Roll through it, and it does minor damage to Shanoa and Charlotte but doesn't mind control.
    Goodbye OP Soma/Alucard, hello OP Alucard/Shanoa.

I'm interested in this.

Any shiny new toys from purples?

antherem on
    edited September 2010
    There are new items from Astarte confirmed, as far as I know Chapter 7 chests are at least as good as Chapter 6 chests.

The new stage has pretty sweet music, is filled with traps, is pretty long (took me about 8 minutes rushing to Astarte with maxed out Shanoa), and has a new enemy (mummies) who are not really that interesting. The group gets split up into different halves of the pyramid and meet up in the middle around halfway through or farther, so if you get paired with someone who ridiculously outgears you, there is still a pretty good chance you will get to kill stuff.

You can't play the stage unless everyone in the party has bought it, which sucks.

Walt on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And what does this cost in magic MS bucks?

DietarySupplement on
    edited September 2010
    400 MS Points.

I should also mention there are no shortcuts in this level except for wall studs. You can't use Sonic Strike, Yorick, Mist, Wing Boots jump, or Medusa Head to skip content.

Walt on
    edited September 2010
    400 for one level? Eh, why not. New Characters?

Capt Howdy on
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    400 for one level? Eh, why not. New Characters?

None. I bought the level, but now that I have it, that 400 points still feel a bit steep for just one level...

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, that's some nickel and diming right there. You would think they'd give you a new character to play around with.

SteevL on
    edited September 2010
    The stage is certainly overpriced but it also certifiably awesome. This is coming from me though, and there is not a single stage in HD that I haven't completed at least 100 times nor more than a handful of items I do not have (I'm looking at you, Claimh Solais and Thief Ring).

Walt on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hmm, this sounds a bit disappointing. I think I'll hold off until the next batch of DLC. Especially since I have too many games in my queue as is.

CyberJackal on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Apparently the Stage 7 boss has Winged Boots on her loot table. Don't know what other Dracula drops she may have.

I won't be able to download this until tomorrow night.

Lars on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to drop the money on this stuff at the moment. Especially with Lords of Shadow around the corner.

SteevL on
    edited September 2010
    If you don't intend to play the new stage 100-400 times you are better off waiting for a DLC combo pack. That said, the new stage is the best, longest, and toughest currently in the game, so I'm happy with it.

Walt on
    edited September 2010
    Hows the loot? Any chance of grabbing good stuff in purple chests on single player? I'll probably grab this, but it better be worth 400.

Capt Howdy on
    edited September 2010
    She drops Wing Boots/Mercury Boots, Royal Crown (+5 Luck, +5 Int, +10 Mind, +10 Defense, +5 Fire/Ice/Lightning Resist, +15 HP/MP, better than Holy Veil for Shanoa), a Robe (don't know the stats), Foie Gras and probably other stuff.

Walt on
    edited September 2010
    Hard drops or normal? Or does anyone even know yet? I'm just trying to figure out if everything is worth the $. Getting better gear easier does put a +1 in the buy column. As would new gear.

Capt Howdy on
    edited September 2010
    Hard drops or normal? Or does anyone even know yet? I'm just trying to figure out if everything is worth the $. Getting better gear easier does put a +1 in the buy column. As would new gear.

The new headpiece is a slight upgrade from Holy Veil for Shanoa, the new dress is a sidegrade to Death's Robes, and Wing Boots drop like candy from Astarte. These are all hard drops. Normal mode drops a new dress from purple chests that is pretty good for normal gear and she drops Mercury Boots like candy there as well.

Walt on
    edited September 2010
    Grr, they have to pick right after Dead Rising 2 comes out to release this. I suppose I'll just wait until maybe some of the new characters arrive. I want some damn Wing Boots though :(

Warlock82 on
    edited September 2010
    If folks who are picking this up today want to hook up for some runs through chapter 7 later, let me know. I ran through it on normal; seems pretty good. it's not just a straight loot grab like chapter 6 is, so its gonna have to have better loot than chapter 6 in order to keep people running through it.

I didn't bother trying to find a team for it though since you have no control really over the chapter other players are at when they join you so I thought the odds I'd get enough people who had it to play it were going to be astronomically low.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2010
    Good level, but I don't know if it was worth the $$. This should have been part of a set. They could have at least added two characters or more gear.

If you're a hardcore player, this will seem worth it. If you're just curious, wait for it to be part of a set.

Capt Howdy on
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I'm going to wait. I haven't even gotten the Slaughtervania achievement yet. Oh well. I had a great time playing with you guys a few weeks ago. :)

SteevL on
    edited September 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm going to wait. I haven't even gotten the Slaughtervania achievement yet. Oh well. I had a great time playing with you guys a few weeks ago. :)

Yeah, I recommend you wait. The less people that buy this the better. Maybe it will make Konami realize they can't sell $1 worth of content for $5.

For a buck, I'd say DL right now. But $5 is robbery. Poorly played Konami, poorly played.

Capt Howdy on
  • AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Am I the only one having trouble actually seeing the new boss? One on one its doable, but a soon as a second player drops in to 'help' I constantly lose the boss in the background and have a lot of trouble predicting attacks. Wasn't a problem with any of the other bosses...

Alphagaia on
    Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
    edited September 2010
    I haven't played MP on 7 yet, so I couldn't tell you. I'll jump on this weekend for some MP if anyone is planning on it.

Capt Howdy on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Someone called me "masochistic" for playing with Jonathan...

Morvidus on
    edited September 2010
    The "not seeing the boss" thing is exactly why I always found Death so hard. There is just so much going on when there are 6 players and you can hardly see him since he's so damn small.

But I also haven't played the new chapter in multi so I can't say.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited September 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »

Playing as Jonathan isn't painful; leveling his weapons up is. I really want to use him as my primary, but I just can't spend that many hours trying to level up weapons I don't want to use.

Capt Howdy on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Morvidus wrote: »

Playing as Jonathan isn't painful; leveling his weapons up is. I really want to use him as my primary, but I just can't spend that many hours trying to level up weapons I don't want to use.

I thought his attack power was only calculated from equipped sub-weapons?

DietarySupplement on