As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Games and Technology
a

Pojaco on

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    300 dollars? No, not even close.

Maybe 150.. maybe.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Do you have a source or anything I can look at to check some prices?

Pojaco on
  • Options
    AmnioticAmniotic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You should start by running through some ebay auctions selling those exact compenents. That should at least give you a baseline for what people are willing to pay.

Just a quick glance gave me numbers like ~80$ for the video card, maybe 30 for the chip, 50 for the board.

Amniotic on
    EvE Online - Kellen Pikara
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yea, you should be able to get around $200 maybe $220 for the whole thing.

rayofash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    rayofash wrote:
    Yea, you should be able to get around $200 maybe $220 for the whole thing.
    Should I sell them individually or all at once?

I think I've got the PSU laying around as well, if I sell them all together it's practically an entire PC build (and a decent one at that). I suppose eBay is probably the way to go, kind of disappointed that I let them sit around forever instead of selling them right after I was done with them.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    One bump and then I'll just try to post on eBay

Pojaco on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Individually.

rayofash on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pojaco wrote:
    My previous PC build, which was constructed in 2003, has just been sitting in my closet ever since I upgraded in 2005. I told myself I would keep it around because I thought it would be cool to use it as an HTPC but after 2 years I've decided that I don't want to, and won't do this. Also, I am in serious need of money right now for school.

So, will you please look at the parts below and help me decide if 1) It is worth it to sell these parts, 2) How I should go about doing so, and 3) Where can I get an idea of what is a fair price?

Radeon 9800 Pro (AGP, 128MB, pristine condition)
    Athlon XP 2700+
    MSI KT4 Ultra
    512MB of quality RAM, just can't recall the specifics right now

I'd love to make at least $300 off this list, is this possible?
    It might be possible if you can find the right sucker. I mean buyer.

Ebay is your friend. I've found craigslist and other local selling services rarely work for getting top dollar for technology.

Just off the cuff, it seems like you'd get $50 a component, for $200 total.

I'm sure that's mere crumbs compared to what you initially paid, but that's computer hardware for you. It depreciates faster than... uh... something that depreciates really, really fast.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Yeah it sucks thinking about how I spent a grand building a dream machine only a couple years ago and now can't get a 1/3 of that by selling, but oh well.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    People pay $500 for computers worse than that in retail. It is Vista Capable, at least. Individually it is just a bunch of outdated parts that no builder is really interested in.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    People pay $500 for computers worse than that in retail. It is Vista Capable, at least. Individually it is just a bunch of outdated parts that no builder is really interested in.

"Vista Capable" just means that it can run XP.

On Topic:
    If you want top dollar go EBay. You may make more money selling the parts individually, but you will probably not sell them all. If you put them all together it will sell easily, but you won't make top dollar.

Craigslist is easier and you can get quick cash, but you will most likely get less money. It is free to post on there though, and you will be dealing with someone face to face, so you don't have to worry about someone not sending the money, and then relisting the item.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Also, in doing the ebay route, you can make a goot presentation and get a bit more. Infact, create a wacky story and it could go for more than anyone would expect.

Veevee on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Veevee wrote:
    Also, in doing the ebay route, you can make a goot presentation and get a bit more. Infact, create a wacky story and it could go for more than anyone would expect.

Bad wacky stories were over done in 2006. Not to say that it couldn't work, but they have been overdone.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    im holding onto one pc part for sentimential reasons.

My Pure 3d Lx 6mb voodoo one card.

Still got the box manuals everything, even the demo cd and case sticker (recepiet to).

such a kick arse card.

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm assuming the RAM is something along the lines of DDR266-400.

I wouldn't sell it now, but wait a year or so. Once it stops showing up in stores the price will shoot up. Look how expensive PC133 is these days.

BubbaT on