As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam Password Changed Without my Permission

KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels StupendousRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ever since I did that veterans deal or something where you got to choose a game to get for free(I chose STALKER) my password changed for no reason whatsoever. I tried to recover my account but I forgot my secret question. I have tried every thing I could think of, in the context of the question, but it still doesn't work. Is there anyway to access my Steam account without using the secret answer?

Kadoken on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Ever since I did that veterans deal or something where you got to choose a game to get for free(I chose STALKER) my password changed for no reason whatsoever. I tried to recover my account but I forgot my secret question. I have tried every thing I could think of, in the context of the question, but it still doesn't work. Is there anyway to access my Steam account without using the secret answer?

Does Steam not have a "I forgot my password" option?

Or a technical support email?

Esh on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All it has is a recover account, where you have to put in a code that comes with an email, then you have to put in the answer to your secret question. I don't care for secret passwords, so I just put in one I thought I might remember, but would never use. My e-mail's password also changed around the time my steam password changed. They also say on the email that I can't mail them back.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Esh on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think your best bet is to send in a steam support ticket giving them your exact situation and start the long arduous process of maybe being able to talk to a real human.

Since the credit/debit card that bought all the games on your account is presuably owned by you you should be able to get the account back somehow.

Casual on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    And when you get it back, verify your email in Steam. File -> Settings somewhere. This will require verification via email to change password or email.

Echo on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Casual wrote: »
    I think your best bet is to send in a steam support ticket giving them your exact situation and start the long arduous process of maybe being able to talk to a real human.

Since the credit/debit card that bought all the games on your account is presuably owned by you you should be able to get the account back somehow.
    Most of my games I bought retail, and were stored in Steam.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Casual wrote: »

Most of my games I bought retail, and were stored in Steam.

But at least one was bought from steam with a card?

To be honest it shouldn't be a problem unless your account has actually been stolen. Either way though get a support ticket ASAP, the process usually takes a long time so the sooner you start the sooner you'll finish.

Casual on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ever since I did that veterans deal or something where you got to choose a game to get for free(I chose STALKER) my password changed for no reason whatsoever.

That's because there is no veterans deal. You entered your steam details on a fake website (that looked like steampowered.com).

There used to be a way to reset your password with the CDKey of the first game activated to your steam account. If you used to have HL2 for example you could try that. Else contact billing.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    What? I usually avoid dumb ass stuff like spam and promises of free shit, but I was texted from steam on chat, by a username called Steam Team, or something official like that. Wait, than how would they get my E-mail? It looked exactly like Steampowered.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah a couple of phishers go around like that, Valve icon as their avatar and a name like Administrat0r or something. Valve employees don't go around messaging people on chat, if there's a deal like that it would be on the storepage and announced via those news windows you get when you log in.

They wouldn't need your email unless you verified your account. Accounts that aren't verified (something that was only introduced not that long ago) don't get e-mail confirmation when they want to change password. You logged in on the website so they got the username/password they needed.
    Not sure what the point is of these phishers, accounts are easily retrieved by their owner after a few days.

Hmm I can't find that option again of resetting one's pass with the CD Key.

Alegis on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would assume they'd take your account, sell it to somebody, and take the money. The buyer loses access within a few days, but the seller has the money already. Check eBay, and see if any of the accounts being sold are yours.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would assume they'd take your account, sell it to somebody, and take the money. The buyer loses access within a few days, but the seller has the money already. Check eBay, and see if any of the accounts being sold are yours.

Also, cheaters use stolen accounts so that they can keep cheating. Since VAC bans are permanent, and since they take days/weeks to go into effect, cheaters grab stolen accounts and then cheat as long as they have control. They eventually lose control of the account, but whoever they stole it from are the ones who get VAC banned after recovery.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Already mailed Steam Support, hopefully they send me a response. I wonder if they tried to jack my E-mail too. Hmm, I might need to change my password too, I use it for almost every account on most sites and password needing things.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Already mailed Steam Support, hopefully they send me a response. I wonder if they tried to jack my E-mail too. Hmm, I might need to change my password too, I use it for almost every account on most sites and password needing things.

That would be a big yes. Do it. Do it now.

Casual on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Internet Security 102: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have separate usernames and passwords for everything.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ^ Easier said than done, my friend :lol:

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I forget usernames sometimes, why would I have different passwords? =P

Kadoken on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I forget usernames sometimes, why would I have different passwords? =P

To avoid, in the future, a situation very similar to the one you're in now?

If you verify your email address with Steam, it's not going to do you any good if that email address has the same password.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Password trick I just made up for you to remember an individual password for every site/app you use:

first letter of the url/appname, Day of birth, second letter of url/appname, month of birth, third letter of url/appname, year of birth, symbol

if it's steam, and your birthday were 10 of June 1982:

s10t06m82!

hotmail?:
    h10o06t82!

You don't have to remember the passwords, just your birthday and the pattern.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or passwords that all share a common theme. Like Batman25 for one site and Superman25 for the next.

Casual on
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I once got infected with a trojan that stole my Steam account info. It also went into my Hotmail options and added Steam support to my blocked senders list so that I couldn't get any password reset emails from them. Took me a while to figure out. You may want to check your email block list to make sure you're getting emails from Steam.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keypass is a great free app you can use that stores your usernames/passwords encrypted and categorizes them by site. So you can come up with some pretty complex stuff and not have to remember them. The database file is also portable so you can keep it on a thumb drive to take with you.

3drage on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I make up a new password on the spot from random things on my desk, replace the letters with numbers, capitalize a few things randomly and I save it to a flash drive. I don't even bother memorizing them, there's so many!

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Good news everybody! Steam reset my password, and I reset my email and Steam password. Thanks for the help guys.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's good that they're pretty understanding about this sort of thing.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Good news everybody! Steam reset my password, and I reset my email and Steam password. Thanks for the help guys.

Now verify your email.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    How? Sorry if I come as retarded, I don't do PC gaming too much anymore.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How? Sorry if I come as retarded, I don't do PC gaming too much anymore.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5151-RUAS-1543

Also, what I'm about to say is going to sound a little harsh but I mean it with the best of intentions.

DON'T visit any more sites that random people link you in chat. It doesn't matter if their name looks official, it's not, and neither is the site url they send you to.

Seriously, check the site url, it'll be something like "Steam-gamers.at" or something. More importantly, if you're already logged into Steam, Valve don't need you to log in again even if they did want to send you a free game. It says right at the top of every chat window that Valve employees will never ask you for your password, this applies equally to sending you to a site asking for your password.

Assuming Valve were interested in you having a free game, it'd be done through the actual Steam interface, not through a chat asking you to visit an external website. For gifts for example, you simply get a pop-up window from the Steam client itself, telling you you've received a gift. If Valve are literally releasing a title for free for all (like Alien Swarm, or when Portal went free for a couple of weeks), you'd go to the game page in the Steam client, and there'd be a link to directly download it from there.

I realise I'm sounding a bit harsh, but this is what you need to do if you're to avoid getting your account hijacked again. Never input your Steam login details into anything other than the official Steam client, or possibly the official steam website when you're certain you're at the right url. Although personally, I'd just stick with the client, but if you absolutely need to login from a website, just use the very first link that you see when you type "steam" into google. Which should in theory be, but is not in any way 100% guaranteed to be: "store.steampowered.com".

subedii on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No, No, I'm not stupid like that. I'm smart enough to not click on anything someone random says I can get for free. This time I was a bit retarded. I learned my lesson. The guy never asked for my password, he just sent me a link to a website.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First off- I'd nuke from orbit. Phishers don't really care what is on thier site- as long as they get your info, well, who are they to begrudge seeding a few viruses/trojans/rootkits? Have you scanned your computer lately?

If you use this email account for anything else, check your logins at every site- especially if you bank online/order stuff online/have an eBay account. Treat all accounts for anything linked to this email as potentially compromised until you change your login details.

A little work now can save you a long while of having to clean up your life and your online reputation.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?