As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

car paint scratches: Use insurance?

HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have newish car I got back in November and since then I have accquired quite a few scatches from from road debris and recently found a a nice scuff on my passenger side door (assholes!). I bought some official touch up paint but after the first one I decided to tackle it didn't come out to hot. Its funny that I made a scratch look like a scar now. So now I want a pro to take care of it. Its all very minor looking scratches with a few showing metal.

Should I shop around for pro repair or do I use my full coverage insurance to check it out? I have only ever used insurance to get major accident repairs done on my old car.

steam_sig.png
HyperAquaBlast on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ask your rep if it'll bump up your premium. I would recommend against it if it does, it'll probably cost you a few hundred to get the paint repaired, whereas the insurance premium will probably be way more than that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I doubt your insurance is going to cover what is essentially cosmetic wear and tear. It's kind of like trying to get your insurance to restore your seats to new condition because they have butt-dents.

How much is your deductible? It's probably not even worth asking about once you consider your deductible.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    even if they would cover it, it'll most likely cost you the deductible anyway... and unless you have a very low collateral/comprehensive deductible its going to be you paying for it regardless.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that and a lot of insurances have a no claim bonus in that if you don't file any claims you get a discount. Its worth a call to your agent to see if you have a rider or something for it and if you file for it if it would hit your premium etc. it might pay but ultimately cost you more

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A lot of auto repair places will do a free estimate for you. I would recommend taking the car to one, showing them what you want done, and finding out how much it would cost. Once that's done, look at your insurance and find out how the price relates to your deductible, and also definitely whether or not it would raise your insurance rates. A call to your agent should be able to help you answer your questions.

You should also find out if you have rental car coverage or not, and how long it would take to touch up your scratches. The auto repair shop will be able to tell you that when they do the estimate. You may not think the scratches look like much, but depending on coats of paint and what-have-you, you might be looking at a couple days where your car's in the shop, so think if you can go carless for a while, if your insurance would cover a rental car, or if you'd have to pay for a rental car out of pocket, because that can really increase the cost of getting this fixed.

illirica on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    wringle wrote: »
    situation that I am in.?
    On monday, I hit a car when backing up. And It was a tiny bump and I thought they wouldnt notice. But I parked next to them ,just in case they did, they can see a dent in my car aswell. Anywho, no one was in there car. so no one was hurt. And I came back 4 hours later ( was in college class) , and was arrested by the police. And got 4 tickets for "hit n run" , expired license plate, expired car insurance, expired car registration, and something else.

I am wondering, what you think the fines will be and how many days or months will my car license be suspended or u think it gonna be revoked.

i am an idiot yes. i know.. cant help that i am so stupid.

Please do not hijack this thread. Make a new one instead.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wringle wrote: »
    situation that I am in.?
    On monday, I hit a car when backing up. And It was a tiny bump and I thought they wouldnt notice. But I parked next to them ,just in case they did, they can see a dent in my car aswell. Anywho, no one was in there car. so no one was hurt. And I came back 4 hours later ( was in college class) , and was arrested by the police. And got 4 tickets for "hit n run" , expired license plate, expired car insurance, expired car registration, and something else.

I am wondering, what you think the fines will be and how many days or months will my car license be suspended or u think it gonna be revoked.

i am an idiot yes. i know.. cant help that i am so stupid.
    The plate, insurance and registration tend to get tossed as long as you show up to your court date with those things no longer expired and proof as such. As for hit and run, that one's kind of sketchy. The fact you came back kind of makes it hard to say you 'ran', they'd have to prove intent that you were trying to avoid being caught. You should've left a note, but hindsight is 20/20 of course. Get your plate, insurance and registration paid for, show up to your court date dressed nicely, be polite with the judge and keep your fingers crossed.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png