As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pony [chat]

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    aight

see you later [chat]

have a good day

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I stopped reading that quote at "and have read some Nietzschean books" because fuck you, that is not how English works.

one of my friends (english degree) has taken the stance that english is the ultimate mutable language, and every individual is free to express themselves in it in whatever way they wish

basically he has taken an academic stance against grammar rules, spelling, and punctuation and additionally embraces and encourages free coinage of new words

Everyone can choose to sound like a moron in the land of the free!

Echo on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I stopped reading that quote at "and have read some Nietzschean books" because fuck you, that is not how English works.

one of my friends (english degree) has taken the stance that english is the ultimate mutable language, and every individual is free to express themselves in it in whatever way they wish

basically he has taken an academic stance against grammar rules, spelling, and punctuation and additionally embraces and encourages free coinage of new words

Punch him for me next time you see him, please.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    aight

see you later [chat]

have a good day

Aww. Be well, Arivia. Cya.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Man I write awfully, but I don't suddenly think my writing style is a unique new language, its just I spell awfully and my knowledge of grammar is elementary at best.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Justin, thought you might want to know that Louis CK is going to be in Boston on September 24th and 25th.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

There are many nuanced positions in the spectrum between total prescriptivism and absolute descriptivism. This is frankly not the kind of debate I have trust in this forum's ability to discuss without endlessly attacking absurd caricatures of each others' arguments.

Hachface on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    From Nietzsche Wannabe
    •This Troper sees potential in life and have read some Nietzschean books, with him saying our life as art, but he despise today's living conditions. You have the problem of the saturating stench of the majority of humanity, their annoying imbecility, their inability to question the authoritarian regime, etc. To quote Agent Smith: I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it." He also believes that the supposed meanings of life imposed by humans.... are all delusions. Possibly, humans are delusional pieces of microscopic, necrotic and repulsive carbon machinery which try to perceive an absolute meaning in life such as a sovereign God who can meddle and play with our day-to-day lives, when in fact those Gods are just as microscopic and most of all uncaring and unaware of humanity's perceived value, possibly blind idiots or Jerkass Gods. He's not saying humans should stop their delusions, however, he only hates the collective illusory stupidity that organized religion exalted, he wants to see people who have independent control over their own delusions and can create their own meaning out of it as it suits them: The Übermensch.

It's mean to quote private stuff like that mori. I linked that to you to show you my pain!

Don't you know how the internet works by now?

Look do you know how hard it is to be this enlightened? And here I share a part of myself to all of you and I get mockery MOCKERY!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Justin, thought you might want to know that Louis CK is going to be in Boston on September 24th and 25th.

Oooooh.

That's nice.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Punch him for me next time you see him, please.

I make fun of him for it, yes

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    in many ways he has taken the literary equivalent of the linguistics position wherein any language that can convey your meaning is a valid language

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man I write awfully, but I don't suddenly think my writing style is a unique new language, its just I spell awfully and my knowledge of grammar is elementary at best.

I have a bad habit of using Swedish sentence structures in English, but I usually just go "fuck it, they get what I mean anyway".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i dont like this idea because i am a snobby elitist

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I totally agree. I think you can get away with making a story that is totally realistic, but I think that a lot of the reason that it would be enjoyable would be due to its blatant realism. There would have to be an emphasis on how much it is not like a story and more like what would happen in real life. Then you're really getting a lot of the value of the story from the differences between it and the sort of stories we tend to make up. Like the meaning would mostly be in relation to the story that you'd like to believe would happen but doesn't because this is reality.

Part of me wants to disagree that you can make a story that is totally realistic at all.

My brain doesn't really want to co-operate but I'm pretty sure we had a phase where we tried to write true realism or whatever and it went miserable and then went into modernism and then post-modernism and the decline of literature and blah blah and now people are trying to revitalize old story telling modes while still retaining the lessons of modernism/post-modernism blah blah.

All stories play off other stories based on how they are similar and different from other stories. This, pure realistic fiction that you are talking about (other than probably being doomed to fail achieving its goal from the start) would be decently different from other fiction, but unless it had enough similarities it would probably be an awful read.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    in many ways he has taken the literary equivalent of the linguistics position wherein any language that can convey your meaning is a valid language
    Do you know a second language?

Why yes, I'm quite fluent in Charades.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno, we have a (mostly) agreed upon set of standards for English. These standards ebb and flow with, well, the ebb and flow of time. But you write to the current standard for the sake of clarity.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm quite fluent in pointing at objects and grunting.

Echo on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    being elitist about language seems silly

it's gonna do what it's gonna do

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

I know! I need to round up a possy.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh great, as it turns out, I'm going to be late for the event I'm planning

fucking woooo :(

Tav on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    VH. How dare you call me your wife.

I am clearly your pre-waifu.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Right. I was going to take a bath. Ended up sitting here in my underwear for 45 minutes instead.

Echo on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just had the worst poop ever.

First of all, we are all out of toilet paper and we have no money. Like not enough money to drive to the store and buy toilet paper. So we have gone through all the tissues, papertowels, napkins and coffee filters in the house, and now I've resorted to wetting printer paper before crumpling it up and using that.

But that wasn't the really bad part. The really bad part is that my ass was just dripping blood. Enough to dye all the toilet bowl water bright red.

And then it got clogged.

Winky on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

First of all, we are all out of toilet paper and we have no money. Like not enough money to drive to the store and buy toilet paper. So we have gone through all the tissues, papertowels, napkins and coffee filters in the house, and now I've resorted to wetting printer paper before crumpling it up and using that.

But that wasn't the really bad part. The really bad part is that my ass was just dripping blood. Enough to dye all the toilet bowl water bright red.

And then it got clogged.

oh my god.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    aw shit yeah guess who just got paid 1700 dollarss for being bored in a gas station

EDIT: I would start stealing toilet paper way before I tear my anus to shreds. Winky, it seems, is a different man than I.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

And then it got clogged.

Where did 60 dollars to buy Starcraft 2 come from then?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    aw shit yeah guess who just got paid 1700 dollarss for being bored in a gas station

buy winky some fucking toilet paper

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    do you suspect that and using sand paper for your butt have anything in common?

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So my girlfriend's mom went in to get a pacemaker/defibrillator thing put in yesterday morning. Tomorrow morning girl and I leave for a week for vacation. This timing kind of sucks, though I suppose it could be worse.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

And then it got clogged.

Where did 60 dollars to buy Starcraft 2 come from then?

The other video games I sold.

Winky on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

And then it got clogged.

oh my god.

That's p horrible.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    what did you buy before toilet paper, winky

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

From what my buddy in Oslo says that should buy you a nice pizza.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    inquis i think my biggest problem in blaz blue

is that i dont barrier guard

Arch on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    WHAT THE FUCK WINKY?!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ahhhhhh my boss is being such a jerkkkkkkkkk

she is talking to someone about backfilling my position

and all like, "it's a low level job, there are lots of qualified candidates. I don't want to post it before I go for vacation because people at this level take the first job that's offered."

ahahah this is the woman who cried when I told her I was leaving. I have left the dept. in shambles because of my low level position!

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Winky

Winky

I can't

can't stop laughing

oh god no it's horrible

Hachface on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I AM SORRY I AM NOT A VP GOD

also she is leaving for her second vacay of the summer here momentarily

2 week trip to scotland after a 3.5 week trip to south africa for world cup

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    do you suspect that and using sand paper for your butt have anything in common?

I actually doubt they're related because I actually poop blood kind of often. I've done it since sophomore year in highschool, and I ended going to a doctor to have him shove his finger up my ass but then he just shrugged his shoulders so since then I've been like "fuck it, it's obviously not a big deal". I mean, I've gone a few good years without it being a serious problem. But just now a lot of blood came out.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    inquis i think my biggest problem in blaz blue

is that i dont barrier guard

Do you instant block?

Barrier guard is both good and bad. It's good because it pushes the enemy further away so you can get out of their pressure fast. It's bad, because you recover from blocking slightly slower and it is obvious that you are block (so you invite throws).

Instant blocking on the other hand makes you recover from blocking much faster, allowing you to regain momentum and launch counter attacks, or escape your opponents pressure.

Proper use of both instant block and barrier guard will go along way to keeping you alive. Also bursting.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.