As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Patch is being worked on, in QA now, I believe. I don't have many details other than that, though.

http://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/22754350468

C2B on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Also, since the thread is bumped, the console versions are on sale at gogamer for $20 for the next day or two

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Also, since the thread is bumped, the console versions are on sale at gogamer for $20 for the next day or two
    This is, quite simply, incredible value, and it's shocking that AP is selling for £20 in the UK now while Heavy Rain is still going for full price. Weird doesn't cover it.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I figure, the best way of doing things for the ladies achievements is

Rome
    Moscow
    Tapei
    etc

Nope, the best way for doing anything in this game isn't a fixed order like KOTOR or Dragon Age, or any 4 planets, 5th planet point of no return games.

The best way of doing things is to do them all parallel, and take the @ missions as marks when to do other hubs.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Also, a patch is still coming. So buy it you people.
    #
    # @devslayer It wasn't a dream, I was there, in your bedroom.

Aother tweet from Avellone I saw when I looked up the first. I KNEW IT.

C2B on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What can they patch, though, that will fix problems people had and not ruin the game? Iron sights? Or are they just going to fix stuff like doors locking you out and enemies not spawning.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What can they patch, though, that will fix problems people had and not ruin the game? Iron sights? Or are they just going to fix stuff like doors locking you out and enemies not spawning.

Bugs and scripting errors, of which there are several, in typical Obsidian fashion.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Bugs and scripting errors, of which there are several, in typical Obsidian fashion.

There's way less than other Obsidian titles though. It would already be enough if it fixes 3 things:

-Checkpoint System respawn
    -Awful Mouse stuttering in PC version and all the problems that arise with it
    -The scripting bug in the embassy mission report

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, other than those 3 things that C2B mentioned, AP is relatively pristine, especially for obsidian. Everything else that people complain about are quirks common to all UE3 games, and there's not much a patch can do to fix them.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well this is exciting. I honestly only ever encountered the Moscow mission report bug and checkpoint disappearing enemies, so this probably won't have all that noticeable of an impact on my play, but still it's nice.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've been hanging off a while on starting the second play through in hopes that the story elements won't seem tired the second time around if I put enough time and distance between it and my first play through. My concern is that when I start it I'm going to be surprised once again by how loose some of the mechanics feel. The cover system in particular I remember being a hot mess at points, and I don't know how I'm going to feel about the game if it's actually worse than I remember.

I think I'll give it another week or so of down time. Feels like it's been months at this point.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Well, if you're worried about the cover system seeming wonky, just play a crazy-ass Thorton who doesn't put any stock in cover, pump all your points into toughness and SMGs, and lay waste, brofisting Heck.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    don't even bother with the cover unless you have that one pistol perk. Just crouch right behind it

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly, apart from Mike occasionally sticking to cover surfaces that weren't there I didn't have a huge problem with the actual shooting of dudes. It was really more environmental interaction that bugged me, like being unable to jump back across something I just jumped across because there's no glowing arrow on this side. Being able to just step over a concrete barrier would've saved so many headaches, as would being able to drop down from a ledge at will.

That weird little float-walk thing that most guys do over the ground needs to go, too. Once you see it you can't not notice it unless the guy doing it is dead. Granted this did encourage me to be more expedient in dealing with hostiles, but the point stands.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just started playing this on PC over the weekend. It's... strange. I'm still in Saudi Arabia so I've hardly cracked the game's hard shell to get at the meaty goodness inside but I get the impression I'm not having as much fun as I should.

Am I supposed to be going through these missions shooting up the place? I can't sneak for beans. Is it just a gear/skills problem? I'm trying to play the game like it's Splinter Cell and not doing particularly well.

zilo on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Just started playing this on PC over the weekend. It's... strange. I'm still in Saudi Arabia so I've hardly cracked the game's hard shell to get at the meaty goodness inside but I get the impression I'm not having as much fun as I should.

Am I supposed to be going through these missions shooting up the place? I can't sneak for beans. Is it just a gear/skills problem? I'm trying to play the game like it's Splinter Cell and not doing particularly well.

Well Saudi's the weakest section of the game.

Ideally, aside from the stealth skill (having it up to at least the point where awareness is on all the time is a huge help) you want an armour which helps with sneaking. Can't remember the numbers but basically some armours are naturally louder than others, and it shows in the stats. Quiet armours will allow you to stealth right up behind someone and knock them out.

Silent running's also a huge help there. Hit it when the guard's turned, run up, takedown.

If you're going with using a pistol then aside from the silencer, a really useful skill is the one that allows you to take aim whilst still in cover, lining up a critical shot whilst hidden.

That's all if you want stealthy play. It's not a question of shooting up the place or not, both are pretty much viable.

subedii on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man.

I managed to avoid being interested in this game until now.

Fortunately I don't have the money to buy it, so I just added it to my Steam wishlist to sit there, taunting me, until probably Christmas when it's either on sale or I have extra golds to spend on games.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Well Saudi's the weakest section of the game.

Ideally, aside from the stealth skill (having it up to at least the point where awareness is on all the time is a huge help) you want an armour which helps with sneaking. Can't remember the numbers but basically some armours are naturally louder than others, and it shows in the stats. Quiet armours will allow you to stealth right up behind someone and knock them out.

Silent running's also a huge help there. Hit it when the guard's turned, run up, takedown.

If you're going with using a pistol then aside from the silencer, a really useful skill is the one that allows you to take aim whilst still in cover, lining up a critical shot whilst hidden.

That's all if you want stealthy play. It's not a question of shooting up the place or not, both are pretty much viable.

And if you haven't played around with the customizing yet you might not have noticed that you have a silencer for the pistol from the start. Other than that pretty much everything above me

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks guys, I think I must be on the cusp of making stealth gameplay viable. I've got some +stealth-type mods (digital camo and.. something else), plus a pistol w/ silencer and a laser sight I found somewhere. I think I'm one skill away from being able to line up crits from cover.

The level design, at least in the two parts of Saudi Arabia I've played, seem to favor shooting over sneaking. Which is fine, I just didn't know that's what I would be in for right out of the gate.

How useful are traps? Unfortunately none of the traps I've got are silent, which sort of defeats the purpose. I can lure one guard in easily but it's always been easier to get them close with the sound generator and either shoot them or knock them out when there are multiples about (which has been almost always, so far).

zilo on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the only time I've ever set traps besides in the intro was during the
    Russia boss fight
    That's really only a spoiler if you don't want to know what locations you go to after saudi.

I take that back. I also used them in a mission where you get ambushed after starting an event.

So I guess they're sort of useful when you know you have to be in combat and have time to set them up or slap em on the wall while crazed murderers are chasing you

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thanks guys, I think I must be on the cusp of making stealth gameplay viable. I've got some +stealth-type mods (digital camo and.. something else), plus a pistol w/ silencer and a laser sight I found somewhere. I think I'm one skill away from being able to line up crits from cover.

The level design, at least in the two parts of Saudi Arabia I've played, seem to favor shooting over sneaking. Which is fine, I just didn't know that's what I would be in for right out of the gate.

How useful are traps? Unfortunately none of the traps I've got are silent, which sort of defeats the purpose. I can lure one guard in easily but it's always been easier to get them close with the sound generator and either shoot them or knock them out when there are multiples about (which has been almost always, so far).

I'd actually say that all 3 are viable for stealth (barring the part in one where there's a forced firefight). At least, I've managed to beat two of them without being seen, without triggering an alarm, and killing less than 5 people.

As for the traps, you're right that they aren't silent. They're actually very useful, just not for stealth. You'll be glad you have them in the boss fights.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Rejoice people:
    The second is a franchise originally developed internally. Some rumors from alleged former member of Obsidian reported a spiritual sequel based on some of the ideas behind Alpha Protocol. Asked about this during the Gamescom, Nathaniel Chapman of Obsidian had confirmed the rumors hint by saying that "One could describe it like that".

http://www.gamers.fr/actus/2010/09/08/obsidian-a-quatre-projets-en-cours

Hopefully they have a good publisher this time. Would be nice if either Bethesda or Square Enix is supporting them again.

C2B on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    As long as there's no shooting in it

Or the shooting is better

Either or, really

I'm excited!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    As long as there's no shooting in it

Or the shooting is better

Either or, really

I'm excited!

It would be great if Sawyer was working on it too after New Vegas. Because then I wouldn't have to worry about gameplay. Also if they do it on the Onyx Engine.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Pretty much the best thing in the world is for Obsidian to take the ideas behind AP and expand on them. Very excited to see what they come up with.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So there's new information about problems in the development of Alpha Protocol.

A canned developer showed up on the SA boards. Apparently, he was the lead designer on Rome. Also nearly all the spoken dialog was written by Avellone while nearly all text (like E-Mails) was by Travis Stout and MattMclean. This bit was interesting:
    Crappy Jack posted:
    Totally understandable if you can't talk about this for whatever reason, but I was always kinda curious about the atmosphere at Obsidian in regards to the game while it was in development. I know there were a lot of changes from the initial ideas, and I understand there was a ton of work that had to be scrapped altogether and started again from scratch.

I could talk about that, but I think it would be unprofessional to do so. The fact is that anytime people are working on something like this, especially something "troubled" there is going to be a lot of bad blood. Hell, I got fired on this project and so did a number of other people. That doesn't mean that any negative attitudes were indicative of general malaise or distaste for the project. It had ups and downs, and it was a big team, so at any one time half the team might be psyched and the other half might be pissed off. Any stories I were to tell would be out-of-school and not very descriptive anyway.

All I can say is that the guy who posted that anonymous bullshit on gamespot or wherever about how everyone hated Chris Parker and the project in general is talking out his rear end.

He also designed the Al Samed charachter in the sniper mission and mentions frequently budget constraints which is why he got canned.

Head over there if you want he also talks about a lot of other things regarding Rome's design:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3308998&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=144

C2B on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heh, that's a pretty cool thread. I find this part pretty interesting:
    It was never planned to have to sneak around the sniper mission. If you were able to open the data files and look at the maps, you'd see that they are basically facades. Originally that mission area was just for some cutscene bullshit, but I re purposed it for a real mission. Actually, that's one of the things I'm most proud of rome. Almost noen of those levels were built for the missions that they eventually contained. The whole thing ws put together with demo levels and scrapped missions, cast offs from other versions of the project and stuff that was never meant to be played. In that sense, I think Rome was a great success.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This is a great game. I wish more RPGs took some cues from it in terms of design and structure. its so much better to have a short 12-15 game with massive replay value and branching paths than a 60 hour grindfest. SO much replay value to this its insane.

Chain shot and shadow operative break the game btw.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Heh, that's a pretty cool thread. I find this part pretty interesting:
    It was never planned to have to sneak around the sniper mission. If you were able to open the data files and look at the maps, you'd see that they are basically facades. Originally that mission area was just for some cutscene bullshit, but I re purposed it for a real mission. Actually, that's one of the things I'm most proud of rome. Almost noen of those levels were built for the missions that they eventually contained. The whole thing ws put together with demo levels and scrapped missions, cast offs from other versions of the project and stuff that was never meant to be played. In that sense, I think Rome was a great success.

That's pretty impressive. Especially since Rome was the best hub

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Patch is out by Sega but its horrible and introduces dozens of problems. And only an executable like some no-cd crack.

C2B on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    And I finally realized today that I have no urge to play through Recruit. Off to Goozex, you go! To a better home!

edit: Are they talking about the Jibara mission? What mission had you sneaking around and avoiding snipers? I remember mentioning that level to Avellone on Twitter and him saying that that was one he was particularly proud of his team for.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It's the one where you're the sniper identifying people at the party

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Patch is out by Sega but its horrible and introduces dozens of problems. And only an executable like some no-cd crack.
    WTF? I was under the impression that the reason it was taking this long was that SEGA were taking the time to review the whole game's technical difficulties so that they could release one all-encompassing patch that'd actually improve game performance. This is an utter joke, and speaks only of how utterly contemptible SEGA appear to be.

It'll be fun when Deus Ex: Human Revolution comes out and it just doesn't do Deus Ex as well as Alpha Protocol does.

In other news, I got my Platinum trophy last night. Fuck yeah!

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, apparently this is an region-specific patch. Is reported to work with the US Version and apparently helps both on the stuttering and savepoint issues.

Why it wasn't decleared as one... No idea. Sega.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    So, to give a little update. Patch works perfectly (fixes checkpoint problems, reduces stuttering dramaticaly) for the US Version and Sega doesn't adjust and release a seperate one for other countries thus beeing assholes.

Also if anyone wants to see some concept art to Alpha Protocol Brian Menzes Deviant Art is always worth a visit:

http://brenze.deviantart.com/

C2B on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the update, is there any word on when an EU patch will be available?

Will there be patches for the 360 and ps3 versions?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Cojones wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, is there any word on when an EU patch will be available?

Will there be patches for the 360 and ps3 versions?

Nope. I'm pretty sure SEGA wants AP to be some flop at this point. They probably only let the patch through because it was announced early.

Hell, they didn't bother to get that damn patch into a setup utility and only released the patch itself for the player to self extract into the directory. They did the absolut minium possible as a publisher. The MINIMUM.

Edit: Sorry, looking at the whole thing its just really frustrating.

C2B on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The PC version of this is available for $3.48/€2.49/£2.25, download via Steam.

Details here.

LewieP on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just fired this up because I can't bring myself to play anymore Borderlands without the level patch. Knocking out some of those cheevos I hadn't hit on my earlier runs.

I'd forgotten just how enjoyable this game is.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    First time player of this tips GO!

joshgotro on