As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Apparently now an Obsidian gossip thread

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    So, I just started playing this. Does it turn into absolute suck later? After finishing the prologue and a couple missions in Saudi Arabia, this is bringing back all my favorite memories of Deus Ex.

Sure, it's not perfect, but so far, I can't see any reason for the 63 (!) this game has on Metacritic. This game should easily fall into the high-70s, from what I've seen.

No, as long as you can manage the bosses it only gets better. After Saudi Arabia it actually gets way better.

(It's one of my favourite games of all time actually. Just because how much I love spy fiction^^)

C2B on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I just started playing this. Does it turn into absolute suck later? After finishing the prologue and a couple missions in Saudi Arabia, this is bringing back all my favorite memories of Deus Ex.

Sure, it's not perfect, but so far, I can't see any reason for the 63 (!) this game has on Metacritic. This game should easily fall into the high-70s, from what I've seen.

It's less a statement of overall quality than it is the likelihood of you enjoying the game. You're either going to have gobs of fun building your own spy and finding new and exotic ways to mess with people, or you're going to lock in on the fact that you can't jump back across the gap you just jumped and you are now sticking to a cover surface that isn't there.

I found it extremely fun and I'm gearing up for another run myself, but it goes down a lot easier once you're prepared for stuff like checkpoint doors closing forever behind you; or, my personal favorite, the most interesting wall in the world.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I knew there was some controversy about the low reviews, but I was wondering if I should be lowering my expectations. I'm excited to hear that it gets better from here on.

One question: I think I've heard that I should max out pistols as soon as I can in order to cheese the bosses -- is that right? Any other upgrade tips? I'm playing as a Field Operative, with a few points in Stealth, Pistols, and Toughness right now.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Spy (Stealth, Martial Arts, Pistol) is basically cheating. Assault Rifle is great for just straight killing, but the Pistol is your utility gun of choice.

Take one rank of Sabotage so you can use EMPs to crack locks quickly. As a corollary; buy and equip EMPs.

When you have the option to take a mook down non-lethally or kill him, don't kill him. You'll get several perks for this that make you tougher.

Take Stealth 5 (master awareness) even if you don't plan on sneaking. This lets you see where your enemies are looking at all times. Well worth 30 AP.

Chain Shot (Pistol skill) demolishes bosses and ignores cover geometry (doesn't break windows, etc). It's crazy useful.

Technical Aptitude is worth putting points in for Brilliance. If you end up specializing in it you can basically chain invisibility your way through any level if you have Master Shadow Operative. It's like being the predator.

Incendiary Grenades rock.

I think that covers most of it.

Edit: Forgot one. Don't use tranqs for boss fights, and take off the silencer. I always carry a second pistol muzzle/barrel and save my steel jacketed rounds for boss fights.
    Also: Sell everything you're not going to use. Top end gear is crazy expensive.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What Zed said. Stealth+Pistols+Anything basically makes you the Predator. The Rifle is another good multipurpose weapon, since subsonic rounds allow for silent kills at range. I've also been told the Clearinghouse only sells special ammo when you're low on what you have, and you'll usually find enough of the good stuff to use on occasion.

You can only carry a set amount of gear into the field, even if you have more in storage; ammo, grenades, etc.

The pistol reticule only closes when it's actually on top of a target. It's best used behind cover, and with some training you don't even need to poke your head out to line up a shot.

When you get to a new hub, hit up the conversation (meet with so-and-so) missions as soon as you can. Usually it opens up Clearinghouse contacts and gives you free XP, and you sometimes get discounts on intel for later missions.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aside from recommending pistols for every character regardless of intention, I'd say stealth or martial arts (or, to a much lesser degree, toughness) is important to have some of solely because of one section.

Since you have most of those, you should be fine for pretty much the whole game so long as you keep on them.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok, I'm near the end of Moscow, and this game is fantastic. Yes, it's buggy. Yes, the enemy AI is awful, including having alerted enemies looking right past me as I line up my shots. Yes, the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired. And yes, sometimes the writing assumes you know something that you would have learned had you taken a different conversation path.

But despite all that, I just can't put this game down. The conversation / reputation system is just so well put together; I find myself reloading saves just to see how things would have gone had I picked different conversation options (I just played through the embassy mission twice with different handlers each time).

This is the most engrossed I've been in a game in years.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok, I'm near the end of Moscow, and this game is fantastic. Yes, it's buggy. Yes, the enemy AI is awful, including having alerted enemies looking right past me as I line up my shots. Yes, the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired. And yes, sometimes the writing assumes you know something that you would have learned had you taken a different conversation path.

But despite all that, I just can't put this game down. The conversation / reputation system is just so well put together; I find myself reloading saves just to see how things would have gone had I picked different conversation options (I just played through the embassy mission twice with different handlers each time).

What? That was one of the best parts of the game. oO

Anyway, glad you like it^^

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's damn enjoyable, if you can roll with the less than perfect stuff.

You either get it or you don't.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think for all the times I've played it the only thing that really annoyed me was popping out of cover to chain shot and having evasion activate while I was lining up shots because it cancels your chain shot but treats it like you used it cooldown wise.

Glad to see more people liking the game though

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmmm . . . Target here has it on clearance for $25. Pick up the boxed copy now, or wait for a Steam sale around the holidays . . . Decisions, decisions . . .

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »

Alright, I should qualify that. The voice acting on all the NPCs? Good to great. The voice acting on Thorton? Ugh. Every line, no matter the conversation stance, is spoken at a near montone. If I were being generous, I would say that the VA was trying to be subtle and missed.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Alright, I should qualify that. The voice acting on all the NPCs? Good to great. The voice acting on Thorton? Ugh. Every line, no matter the conversation stance, is spoken at a near montone. If I were being generous, I would say that the VA was trying to be subtle and missed.

Personally I thought the exact opposite on Thorton. But I see where you coming from. That was discussed before.

C2B on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Personally I thought the exact opposite on Thorton. But I see where you coming from. That was discussed before.

Yeah I thought Thorton's VA was brilliant. I mean if it's a choice between him and Shepard, no competition, Thorton' VA sounds so much better.

subedii on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, this is a necessary evil when you can choose your character's dialogue. Otherwise you can pick an aggressive option and have Thorton screaming at the top of his lungs, then pick a professional option and have him immediately sound cold and detached, meaning it's way too easy to make him sound like he's just plain bipolar.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thorton's VA is great. He couldn't be particularly emotive or change his inflection too much without losing cohesion within a playthrough.

I have yet to encounter a line, though, that just doesn't feel right for a given playthrough.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I finally got
    the alienate Heck achievement.

Unfortunately that means I can't get Judge, Jury and Executioner this run. So I guess it's once more into the breach.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    jdarksun wrote: »
    In retrospect, I think my only complaint is with the "no wrong answers" concept presented by Avalone. That's not really true; there are just two "right answers" now, maxing out your faction in a positive or negative direction.

It would be interesting for a game to have each option generate a minor effect, rather than only rewarding extremes.

It does. Apart from Reputation how you choose answers affects several things. And that at multiple times. Probably the biggest example of this is at the end when you have the choice to upload the data or phone parker. What you choose there has big influence.

Min/Maxing relationships has a part too but thats only a part.

Not to mention nearly always you get vastly different answers.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In retrospect, I think my only complaint is with the "no wrong answers" concept presented by Avalone. That's not really true; there are just two "right answers" now, maxing out your faction in a positive or negative direction.
    It does. Apart from Reputation...
    Let me stop you right there, because that's the majority reason behind most of the conversations.

If you're trying to max Reputation, and you pick a bad response, that's absolutely a "wrong answer." I'm saying it'd be nice if there actually weren't "wrong answers."

With the same answer anything would be a "wrong" answer if you perceive it so. There is no wrong answer in regards to releationship means wherever you stand in a relationship is valid. What do you want to do with your conversation partner is valid. Sure if you want to have the best Releationship with a charachter its clear that when you piss him off it was "your" wrong answer. But that has only influence if you perceive it so.

Hell, releationships would still work the same way even if we don't know the number.

I bolded what is wrong with your reasoning.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah I thought Thorton's VA was brilliant. I mean if it's a choice between him and Shepard, no competition, Thorton' VA sounds so much better.

I thought Thorton's VA was really good too. Can't really compare him to Shep's though because it would just be unfair to put anyone up against Jeniffer Hale and I've never played a male shep. It just wouldn't be right to do that.

So I'm debating buying this game again for my PS3. How's it compare to the PC version? Why would I want to give SEGA my money for their terrible business practices?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well the obvious question is why do you want to buy it if you've already bought it on another platform?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know... I haven't really been playing games on my PC in the last few months but I still get the AP itch once in a while, plus trophies.

There's not really any compelling reason for everything.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just buy a 360 controller and pretend it's a console

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Whelp.

That's No Time For Love and Never Trust a Sociopath.

Now I just need Judge, Jury and Executioner (which has eluded me through three runs designed to pick it up) and No Compromise, No Mercy (which I'm surprised I don't have by now).

I think JJE is glitched for me, though. It almost has to be at this point.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Try reading an Achievement/Trophy guide, if you haven't.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Done this.

Killed everyone who was supposed to die to get me the achievement. Didn't get it.

I honestly wouldn't even be trying if I wasn't going to be playing AP anyway.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Done this.

Killed everyone who was supposed to die to get me the achievement. Didn't get it.

I followed a trophy guide to get JJ&E and it worked absolutely fine. Got my plat a while back - not sure what you've done wrong here. Leave mina?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cojones wrote: »
    Done this.

I followed a trophy guide to get JJ&E and it worked absolutely fine. Got my plat a while back - not sure what you've done wrong here. Leave mina?
    I've ignored Mina and left Mina, neither got me the *doink*.

I'm working from a new one this time. It seems identical, but we'll see.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cojones wrote: »
    Done this.

I've ignored Mina and left Mina, neither got me the *doink*.

I'm working from a new one this time. It seems identical, but we'll see.

This is the one I used - see what you think. Best of luck!

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, it really sucks that the game makes it near impossible to kill Marburg

Every fuckin' time I talk to him it's all "+3 reputation" and "+1 reputation" just for being competent

I don't want rep with that fuck, I want him dead, I want his family dead, I want his house burned to the ground and I wanna go there at night and piss on his ashes

Stupid game

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, you've got to rack up a bodycount in Rome if you want him to hate you.

The first game I wound up accidentally talking him out of a fight because I was stealthing and tranqing my way through the hub, and playing professional spy guy.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Ah, apparently there's another way I can kill Marburg

I just need more intel on Parker, for some reason

Hope I can still get that, if I can't this game officially still sucks

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That intel can be rough to get. Good luck, man.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to be killing the bastard this playthrough.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Ah, apparently there's another way I can kill Marburg

I just need more intel on Parker, for some reason

Hope I can still get that, if I can't this game officially still sucks

The way I found just involves being supremely chummy with Madison, and then deploying the resultant information at the right point. Don't think I ever got much intel on Parker.
    It results in its own special scene in the endgame, and is worth going for for this alone.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    To kill Marburg you also have to have played the game as a snarky guy. Apparently it's not only your rep with him that factors into you being able to gun him down properly.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    To kill Marburg you also have to have played the game as a snarky guy. Apparently it's not only your rep with him that factors into you being able to gun him down properly.

Oh no, it's not just that

Apparently, to kill Marburg, you have to have

1) chosen the suave dialogue a bunch of times before you even meet him
    2) gotten a low rep with him, by chumming up with SIE or shooting up Rome before you met
    3) gotten at least two pieces of intel on him (but don't tell him what you know about him or else that gives you plus rep)
    4) chosen the suave dialogue stance three times during your confrontation with him

Also it helps if you go to save Madison and not the people at the museum (which I still don't know why anyone would make that choice)

It's pretty fuckin' bogus, all things considered

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    He's the hardest person in the game to kill. That's probably why there are two different ways.

Neither is terribly easy, though.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    Fuckin' a, I think I'm basically fucked for not buying Madison's intel from the Clearinghouse and not asking Mina to look into Parker

Don't suppose anyone knows some value in an .ini somewhere that I can edit to make my rep with Marburg lower? Because I don't even give a fuck at this point

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can you "turn" him though? I got supremely high reputation with him, and
    subsequent to my endgame capture and discussion with Leland, I briefly got the opportunity to talk with him and convince him that his future didn't lie with Halbech. I never got a chance to see how that played out, since I
    told Parker about what Marburg had tried to do to Madison, and was forced to kill him.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I already committed to trying to make him hate me, but since I didn't go shooting up Rome like an asshole, I got like +5 rep with him so now he's at like 0 rep and I'm fucked all around

Man, this game

Even when I like it I hate it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg