As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Comic Thread for Friday, August 13, 2010

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Belruel wrote: »
    I look at the poster above me, I look at the poster below me, I look at the OP of the thread.

And I know that all of these men would rape anything if given half a chance.

Look at your OP, then back to me, back to your OP, now back to me.

Thankfully, he is not me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I'd never get along with her.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    >_< god dammit

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I cannot fathom living as the sort of person who stops enjoying comedy because of the off chance a rape joke might pop up.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    scsscs wrote: »
    http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2010/08/rape-is-hilarious-part-53-in-ongoing.html
    Rape is Hilarious, Part 53 in an Ongoing Series
    Posted by Guest Blogger at Thursday, August 12, 2010
    by Shaker Milli A

[Trigger warning for rape used in a "humorous" capacity.]

This is why, as a feminist, I barely have a sense of humor.

I found the problem

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh, look at Gabe trying to hide his boner.

Rape boner.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    natek wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    natek wrote: »
    Belruel wrote: »
    I look at the poster above me, I look at the poster below me, I look at the OP of the thread.

And I know that all of these men would rape anything if given half a chance.

anything but belruel

I aint touching that one

I tried to think about raping him once, and my dick went flacid for 3 years.

yeah

he is disgusting

scratchin my nuts

smellin my hand

beeeelch

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://shakespearessister.blogspot.com/2010/08/rape-is-hilarious-part-53-in-ongoing.html
    by Shaker Milli A

Yesterday's Penny Arcade,a webcomic centered around video gaming and its culture, featured a joke a lot of World of Warcraft players make, in a sense. In WoW, you'll often get quests like "Kill 10 of these terrible people" or "Save five prisoners". Because the game has millions of players all existing in the world who will do that quest, even if you kill all the bad guys and free everyone, they'll reappear against quickly, so the next person can do their good deeds. It's a silly conundrum if you let your suspension of disbelief lapse.

Penny Arcade took it to another level. In a strip titled, "The Sixth Slave," the comic features a (white, male) slave begging for rescue from another character. "Hero!" he pleads. "Please take me with you! Release me from this hell unending! Every morning, we are roused by savage blows. Every night, we are raped to sleep by the dickwolves." The hero tells him, "I only needed to save five slaves. Alright? Quest complete." The prisoner protests, "But…" The hero interrupts him, "Hey, pal. Don't make this weird."

Rape isn't a part of the game, so for the slave to explicitly state he is being raped is a "humorous" exaggeration. When he hero tells the slave his quest is complete and instructs him not to make it "weird," we're meant to laugh: "Haha, what a strange underreaction!" (Or not.)

When I have a sense of humor, it is a little offbeat. I have liked, for example, Penny Arcade's comics about the numerous times they've killed each other. I have a dark sense of humor, and I'll admit it.

But unlike Gabe killing Tycho so he doesn't have to share a video game, a slave being raped is a real thing that happens in the world every day. I don't find this "joke" funny because, unlike characters cartoonishly killing each other repeatedly and coming back to life, just as in video games, rape isn't a central feature of (most) games—at least in the actual gameplay, totally aside from the language used by players.

The problem is, I just don't find rape funny. Because rape survivors exist among us, and after being victimized by rapists, they are revictimized by a society that treats even real rape like a joke, forced to live in a culture that actually has a lot of rape jokes, including those about rape victims being actively denied justice for no other reason than because people don't take rape seriously. I don't find rape funny because rape victims are often doubted, mocked, and insulted openly.

This is why I avoid comedy. I don't go to comedy movies, I rarely watch comedians, I avoid sitcoms like the plague. I've started to develop a Pavlovian response, cringing preemptively, to things I do find funny, because if somebody makes a dark joke, I've learned it won't be long until the rape jokes show up.

This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.

But murder happens everyday. I guess it is okay because murder survivors don't walk amongst us?

Melding on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    she's acting pretty....butthurt.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    by Shaker Milli A

Yesterday's Penny Arcade,a webcomic centered around video gaming and its culture, featured a joke a lot of World of Warcraft players make, in a sense. In WoW, you'll often get quests like "Kill 10 of these terrible people" or "Save five prisoners". Because the game has millions of players all existing in the world who will do that quest, even if you kill all the bad guys and free everyone, they'll reappear against quickly, so the next person can do their good deeds. It's a silly conundrum if you let your suspension of disbelief lapse.

Penny Arcade took it to another level. In a strip titled, "The Sixth Slave," the comic features a (white, male) slave begging for rescue from another character. "Hero!" he pleads. "Please take me with you! Release me from this hell unending! Every morning, we are roused by savage blows. Every night, we are raped to sleep by the dickwolves." The hero tells him, "I only needed to save five slaves. Alright? Quest complete." The prisoner protests, "But…" The hero interrupts him, "Hey, pal. Don't make this weird."

Rape isn't a part of the game, so for the slave to explicitly state he is being raped is a "humorous" exaggeration. When he hero tells the slave his quest is complete and instructs him not to make it "weird," we're meant to laugh: "Haha, what a strange underreaction!" (Or not.)

When I have a sense of humor, it is a little offbeat. I have liked, for example, Penny Arcade's comics about the numerous times they've killed each other. I have a dark sense of humor, and I'll admit it.

But unlike Gabe killing Tycho so he doesn't have to share a video game, a slave being raped is a real thing that happens in the world every day. I don't find this "joke" funny because, unlike characters cartoonishly killing each other repeatedly and coming back to life, just as in video games, rape isn't a central feature of (most) games—at least in the actual gameplay, totally aside from the language used by players.

The problem is, I just don't find rape funny. Because rape survivors exist among us, and after being victimized by rapists, they are revictimized by a society that treats even real rape like a joke, forced to live in a culture that actually has a lot of rape jokes, including those about rape victims being actively denied justice for no other reason than because people don't take rape seriously. I don't find rape funny because rape victims are often doubted, mocked, and insulted openly.

This is why I avoid comedy. I don't go to comedy movies, I rarely watch comedians, I avoid sitcoms like the plague. I've started to develop a Pavlovian response, cringing preemptively, to things I do find funny, because if somebody makes a dark joke, I've learned it won't be long until the rape jokes show up.

This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.

But murder happens everyday. I guess it is okay because murder survivors don't walk amongst us?

There are many responses to this, all of them to terrible for me to post.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    this comic is fantastic and his expression in the last panel is so great

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    But...

Bel is a woman.

wymon?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The sanctioned term is 'womyn'.

Feminists are unusual beings.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Uriel wrote: »
    But...

Bel is a woman.

wymon?

naw, that ain't me

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    by Shaker Milli A

There are many responses to this, all of them to terrible for me to post.

That has never stopped me, why should it stop you?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

That makes more sense.

Wymon sounds like a digital monster.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Feminists need to be put in their place
    You were expecting a kitchen joke weren't you, you filthy manpig oppressor!

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Feminists need to be put in their place
    You were expecting a kitchen joke weren't you, you filthy manpig oppressor!

I was actually expecting a glass ceiling joke, imply some kind of violence with it.

Melding on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sexist jokes are the best though. :(

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    aaaah booh i was gonna call it the TFmanifeSto and now you ruined it.
    ejecting thread.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A femminists' utopia.

Dickwolves extinct.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ahahahahahaaaaa the second i saw wedensday's comic i knew they'd get flak

'raped to sleep by dickwolves' cracked me up and i usually really dislike rape jokes

and gabe's panel 1 face is the greatest face

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh hey i read the rest of the thread and lolfeminism pops up everywhere

ok

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not even an hour in and the thread's to page 3.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Controversy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i think rape's wrong, and i wouldn't rape anybody

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think that writer is taking this far too seriously, but that's just me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think that writer is taking this far too seriously, but that's just me.

yeah

It takes some logical gymnastics to see how penny arcade was endorsing the further victimization of people who have been raped.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I agree that rape isn't anything to joke about, G&T have been able to pull off jokes about it in ways that don't offend me. I'm not sure how to explain the comic about sharing a hotel room.

As for the recent comic, "raped to sleep by the dickwolves" loses any amount of "RAPE JOKES AREN'T FUNNY" reaction for me because the rape isn't the joke part of that whole bit - it's dickwolves. Dickwolves are the punch on that. What exactly is a dickwolf? What does it look like? The possibilities are endless. We know it's bad though because it has slaves and rapes them.

But now today's strip kinda makes things awkward for me. I'm not sure how to react to it. I just like Gabe's faces across all three panels.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i find it adorable that that blogger specifically mentions the fact that the 6th slave is white and male. Someone's been doing too many content analyses for their feminist studies hurr hurr

Aldo on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it is pretty silly to just dismiss all feminists as dumb

and I put that phrase very mildly

Swill on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Swill wrote: »
    it is pretty silly to just dismiss all feminists as dumb

and I put that phrase very mildly

who was doing this?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    feminism isn't dumb.

i'd just like the status quo re-established without being painted as an oppressive rapist.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aldo wrote: »
    i find it adorable that that blogger specifically mentions the fact that the 6th slave is white and male. Someone's been doing too many content analyses for their feminist studies hurr hurr

So the blogger isn't really a feminist as s/he proclaims and more of a... one of those people who takes offense on other people's behalf types. What're they called? There's a term for them right?

Henroid on
  • Options
    AnnoraAnnora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I agree with people pointing out rape culture as a bad thing, I can't help but feel bad for the creators of PA. Wednesday's comic was the only time I've found reference to rape humorous, because as an MMO gamer, I've done a lot of quests and felt exactly like that before.

Dickwolves are clearly fictional, and I don't believe Mike and Jerry meant any harm by it. However, a lot of the posts I've read here are... unsettling. Can we keep it civil?

Annora on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the dickwolves thing was only funny because it went so outrageously out of its way to be over-the-top awful that i couldnt take it seriously

if the slave just said that they were raped every day i wouldnt have liked it at all

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I didn't even take rape as the base of that joke. The joke was something Unspeakably Bad is happening to these slaves, and the hero is just going on his way.

it isn't 'haha RAPE!' it's 'haha, man that hero is a dick, a real hero would save all the slaves! oh you mmo quests.'

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah nice try penny-arcade

reap what you sow

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the dickwolves thing was only funny because it went so outrageously out of its way to be over-the-top awful that i couldnt take it seriously

if the slave just said that they were raped every day i wouldnt have liked it at all

100% agreeance!

I've never liked it when playing online and some dude was saying 'oh man we raped them'. It's really just turned
    me off to a lot of multiplayer games. Obviously I can't control what other people say, so I just go do something else.

Meissnerd on
This discussion has been closed.