As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting offended: the new national pastime

1192021222325»

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Do you think Wednesday's comic was creepy or insensitive?

That's the thing. It wasn't. At all. People just saw the word 'rape' and took offense.

And, per the front page, accused them of advocating rape. Which is a terribly ridiculous claim. Why, so ridiculous poorly thought out that one might even make a comic of it.

Quid on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    My criticism of Gabe and Tycho isn't that the comic was offensive (it wasn't), but rather that they chose derision over dialogue.

I have no problem deriding a group of people who conclude mention of rape = advocating rape.

Except that's not what the criticism of the "dickwolves" cartoon is based on.

Hence, it's a complete fucking strawman for anyone, including G&T, to presume that's what the criticism is and respond to that non-existent claim.

But seriously, quote me where anyone, even the dread evil feminist bloggers, claims that the PA comic was advocating rape.

Oh hey I missed this. For the second time:
    Tycho wrote:
    Reaction to Wednesday's comic fell, conveniently for my purpose, into two camps: those who found a phrase like "raped by dickwolves" a stunning return to form, and those who felt that we were somehow advocating the actual rape of human beings.

In fact, you've already seen and read this.

Quid on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What would cause anyone to think that a nerd culture webcomic is the venue for a frank discussion on rape?

I must have missed where "nerd" is a synonym for "clueless asshole".

Do you think a 3 panel gamer comic is a good place to have a realistic discussion about rape?

Maybe. Maybe not. But waving "nerd" and "gamer" around as if they're talismans that excuse being creepy or insensitive to the feelings of others strikes me as misguided at best.

Which is not even close to what I was doing.

Stop being a Goose, Lawn. You're better peeps than that.

I'm still at a loss as to what a self-imposed label like "nerd" or "gamer" has to do with how one deals with issues like rape or rape jokes?

Sorry if that came off like an attack, but I do find it a bit weird that "being a nerd" or "being a gamer" is supposed to excuse or accompany having certain attitudes towards rape.

No it admits that most of us aren't professional therapists, or rapists for that matter I guess, and there are areas better fitted to discuss rape issues in this country.
    Note they aren't feminist blogs either.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DickwolfDickwolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    With whom were they communicating? Their critics?

Yes, as well as their general readership who would wonder at the context of their latest comic.
    If, as some posited, the critics are infrequent or non-readers of PA, then using their news blog and comics would generally fail to reach said critics. So if they truly wanted to engage their critics, they would have used a more appropriate medium, like email or perhaps an open letter.

Why is this a problem? Why does this matter?
    While I agree that derision and dialogue are not mutually exclusive, their choice of medium suggests that they chose the former at the expense of the latter.

Their choice of medium? Webcomic and blog post? With humor?

Dickwolf on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dickwolf wrote: »
    Except that it's not. It's the argument you've pulled out of your ass and attributed to me.
    Why? They have absolutely no impact on the content being produced. Why is a photosensitivity warning, or an ESRB rating acceptable but the two tiny words "trigger warning" one step over the line?
    Yes, including the two words "trigger warning" above a comic that makes a rape joke is such a burden.
    Why is it acceptable for one form of advertisement-supported art to voluntarily rate content but it's unacceptable for another form of advertisement-supported art to do the same?
    Explain to me how it takes a huge staff or a third-party organization to append two words to a webcomic.

Every response out of you has been "yeah fine but it's not hard". You've ignored the reasons and just repeated how easy it would be. So either you're insisting that they do it anyway or you're unnecessarily repeating "but it's easy but it's easy but it's easy" just to hear yourself speak.

Not to mention that said warning is obscure at best, pointless at worst.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BobDobolinaBobDobolina Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zython wrote: »
    In regards to trigger warning, aren't PTSD triggers different from person to person? If so, wouldn't a universal warning be ineffective, if not pointless?

Ok, since no one wants to answer this, I'll try asking something else.

I for one agree with you that PTSD triggers and disclaimers should never, ever have been in the same conversation. The second is irrelevant to the first, which is a major medical problem that requires treatment, not disclaimers.
    Did anyone actually expect Gabe and Tycho to use Friday's comic space to issue a formal apology in lieu of doing their job?

No. Although it's a shame they didn't find a funnier way to do Friday's comic.

BobDobolina on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Do you think Wednesday's comic was creepy or insensitive?

That's the thing. It wasn't. At all. People just saw the word 'rape' and took offense.

And, per the front page, accused them of advocating rape. Which is a terribly ridiculous claim. Why, so ridiculous poorly thought out that one might even make a comic of it.

You might even require it of people who make fully jpgs.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In regards to trigger warning, aren't PTSD triggers different from person to person? If so, wouldn't a universal warning be ineffective, if not pointless?

Did anyone actually expect Gabe and Tycho to use Friday's comic space to issue a formal apology in lieu of doing their job?

Clearly the trigger warning is something for the audience, not the speaker, to worry about. If you're in counseling, still dealing with these issues, then don't seek out anything but g-rated entertainment unless you accept the risk that the 'trigger concept' may be addressed, however tangentially. There is a risk of being offended by your entertainment. Don't take the risk if you aren't willing to be offended.

And no, of course they weren't going to apologize. There was nothing to apologize for.

Spaten Optimator on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My criticism of Gabe and Tycho isn't that the comic was offensive (it wasn't), but rather that they chose derision over dialogue.

I have no problem deriding a group of people who conclude mention of rape = advocating rape.

Except that's not what the criticism of the "dickwolves" cartoon is based on.

Hence, it's a complete fucking strawman for anyone, including G&T, to presume that's what the criticism is and respond to that non-existent claim.

But seriously, quote me where anyone, even the dread evil feminist bloggers, claims that the PA comic was advocating rape.

Oh hey I missed this. For the second time:
    Tycho wrote:
    Reaction to Wednesday's comic fell, conveniently for my purpose, into two camps: those who found a phrase like "raped by dickwolves" a stunning return to form, and those who felt that we were somehow advocating the actual rape of human beings.

In fact, you've already seen and read this.

Except that all of the actual criticism of the strip that I've read doesn't accuse them of that.

Hence, it seems like a pretty blatant strawman argument.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I personally found Friday's comic hilarious since it was completely unexpected. The mention of the word rape didn't shock me in Wednesday's comic so I didn't expect any controversy over it. I read Wednesday's comic and thought, "Heh, I've done that quest in multiple MMOs and always thought it was funny you just free some but not all of the slaves." BTW Wednesday's comic isn't a WoW one but an MMO in general one for those who didn't catch that its even inferred from the news post. Also how can you see Gabe's expression in the third panel of Friday's comic and do anything other then laugh? I honestly do sometimes wonder if my fellow forum posters are fans of the comic.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I for one agree with you that PTSD triggers and disclaimers should never, ever have been in the same conversation. The second is irrelevant to the first, which is a major medical problem that requires treatment, not disclaimers.

No. Although it's a shame they didn't find a funnier way to do Friday's comic.

Well, while I agree you have a point about the first part, my question was more inclined to whether a disclaimer would even do anything.

As for the second one, I thought Friday's comic was funny, but different tastes and whatnot.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Except that all of the actual criticism of the strip that I've read doesn't accuse them of that.

Hence, it seems like a pretty blatant strawman argument.

Because they don't post personal emails sent to them you accuse them of strawmanning? And of course if they had then people would be complaining about privacy issues as well.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2010
    Ok we reached the limits of our ability to discuss this like grown ups on page one.

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.