As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 or XBOX? AGAIN?!!

Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology
Yeah, ok. I'm sure this has been done before, but my forum search turned up not much.

I am looking to buy an XBOX 360 or a PS3. I do have a pretty powerful computer, so most games that aren't exclusives to a system I already have on my PC, and cheaply due to the wonder of steam ;) The PS3 has the bluray, which i like, and It has a ton of exclusive games I want. So basically this: Am I just missing the great XBOX games? is the XBOX Live Arcade good enough to compete with PS3 exclusives/PSN stuff? Gears/Halo are of no interest to me, While things like LBP, Metal Gear, Uncharted and Gran Turisimo are.

Basically I'm just wondering if there are things on the Xbox that I'm just plain unaware of, missed. I know it has the better online service, but i consider that a wash with the PSN/Bluray. Also the XBOX seems so occupy much of the same space a computer does, which I already have.

plus I think, deep down, people like these threads!

If you want to talk about features or whatever, be my guest.

Oh, I should say there's a 4-year old that will be partaking in the gaming. I'm assuming most kids games are cross platform, but if anything stands out, LBP was one I was thinking of.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seems to me that you already know what you're gonna get.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    it depends what your friends are playing on really, if the majority are rolling one way or the other, as the multiplayer experience is what makes alot of games worth the delicious monies you plunk down for them.

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds like you want a ps3.

imo xbox live arcade seems to have better games than PSN.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Unless you are huge into multiplayer and have lots of Xbox friends, I would go with PS3. I have both and I love my PS3, even though I just got it recently and have had the 360 since launch. The 360 has some awesome exclusives, but the only one I can think of that is not on PC is Crackdown.

It's nice not having to pay for multiplayer or wireless networking, Netflix, etc. XBL has better functionality but PSN is still pretty awesome, and doesn't deal with those damn MS Points.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TehSpectre wrote: »

I'm not attached to a console, just the games. Both consoles do the basic things i want. I went through lists of each system's games and it seems like the XBOX just didn't have a lot of exclusive stuff. So I wondered if I just missed something.

Netflix streaming is one of those things, does one do it better than the other? Can either system run Pandora?

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If have a nice tv and a nice computer go ps3

if have you are a multiplayer addict and have a not so great computer go xbox?

maybe

Egos on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Both consoles do Netflix streaming, and though the PS3's client was recently improved it's still not nearly as good as the Xbox client. The PS3 requires a disc to run, while Xbox can just run it from the hard drive. This might change when an exclusivity period between Microsoft and Netflix expires, but who knows.

Neither system has official support for Pandora. The PS3 can run the website in the browser, but I doubt it's a great experience. Xbox has a Last.FM client.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you have a nice computer skip both, most good games are on the PC in better form.

Maybe get a Wii or a nice Blu-Ray player for your tv.

PS3's netflix is becoming disk free in a few more weeks, but there are plenty of DVD players/Blu-Ray players that can handle Netflix now.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    To be honest, I think an XBox 360 is worth it just for the downloadable games (many of which are exclusives). Not only is XBLA probably the strongest of any of the current system's downloadable libraries, but there's also a lot of great stuff available for dirt cheap on the XBox Live Indie Games service.

What kinds of games do you like? That would help a lot in determining whether or not there's stuff you'd enjoy on the 360.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It sounds like you already want the PS3 games, so it makes sense to...get a PS3.

Don't get me wrong, I'm agreeing with the others in that Xbox Live Arcade has a lot better offers than PSN, as well as multiplayer in general, but if you want PS3 games, get a PS3.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If 3d blu-ray is a concern for you, the 120gb PS3 is about the same price right now as some of the least expensive 3d blu-ray players. Sony says the PS3 will be able to support full HD 3D for blu-ray movies, but we'll know for sure in about a month.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Also on the XBLA vs PSN issue: XBLA groups all the content of a game together. You can find the demo, full game, dlc, skins, etc. all at the same place. On PSN you have to search for items individually. Also only a few PSN games have a demo (most of them being games also available on XBLA) while all XBLA games are required to have a demo. I probably would've bought more psn games if only they let my try it before I give them my money.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Also on the XBLA vs PSN issue: XBLA groups all the content of a game together. You can find the demo, full game, dlc, skins, etc. all at the same place. On PSN you have to search for items individually. Also only a few PSN games have a demo (most of them being games also available on XBLA) while all XBLA games are required to have a demo. I probably would've bought more psn games if only they let my try it before I give them my money.

I hadn't realized it concretely, but this probably one of the major reasons I don't own a single PSN game (I have purchased online content for PS3 games, however). The severe lack of demos.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finding specific shit on XBLA can be a pain. I find it the worst out of the three for usability.

The demos and the content as a whole? Really fantastic.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I actually would rate PSN substantially lower in the area of finding anything related to actually games (not so for other content like wallpapers and themes).

On the Xbox 360, if I want to find all the DLC for a game, I hit 'Y' with with the game in the drive, or looking at it in my library. If I want to find it on PSN, I need to pick the type of game, pick the section within that or the genre, look within that for the game, and then I can look at the DLC.

Not a huge problem, but far less convenient. Why there's no way to go directly from looking at your game in the PS3 dashboard to DLC, I'll never know.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Neither system offers an amazing system for browsing the content contained within, I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker either way, though.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »

If you choose 'view all by title' at the main menu when you first enter the PSN store it'll list addons, demos (if available), bundles, and anything else available for a specific title. Only if you choose to browse by something specific like PS3 games will you only get items that are games, for example.

Edit: When doing it like I mentioned above, you choose first 'view all by title' then choose the starting letter, and then it shows a list of games. It seems like a few people have missed out on it. It's not as easy as a button press, but it really isn't as difficult as some make it seem either.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This.

Both systems are great, just pick one.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    This.

To be fair, the real question he's asking is about good games or features that he might've never heard of that could sway his opinion on which console to get. I don't have a 360, so I can't really recommend its good games though.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If Gears and Halo hold no interest to you, get a PS3, hands down. With the exceptions of Fable (2 only, I guess) and some nifty XBLA games like Shadow Complex and Limbo, most everything AAA the 360 has to offer is on PC, whereas the PS3 has Uncharted, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, God of War III, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian coming up...just a ton of great exclusives.

Edit: Of course, with Starcraft II just out and Civilization V, Fallout: New Vegas and Deus Ex 3 coming up soon, now might also be a good time to stick with the PC and sit on the decision for a while, maybe listen for the 3DS price and launch date. There's plenty of gaming to be had on the PC as of late. But if you're sure you're ready to go, PS3 hands down.

Darlan on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you like arcade shmups, the 360 is by far the best system out there right now. You have retail games like DeathSmiles and Raiden Fighters Aces, XBLA games like Ikaruga HD, Triggerheart Excelica, Geometry Wars 2, Omega Five, and Heavy Weapon and you have XBLIG games like Shoot 1Up, Leave Home, Echoes+, Zombie Estate, and radiangames Crossfire.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    MRPeersonMRPeerson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Basically, there's one game that sealed the deal to buy a ps3 after having a 360 for some time: Valkyria Chronicles.

If I could only have one system, it would be a 360 just for mass effect, fable 2, last remnant and braid.

Otherwise, so far the multi-platform titles at the moment tend to be a it better / having less bugs on the 360. Nothing really important, though, and most of those are also on the PC with the added benefit of being able to install mods.

<quote>[...] ton of exclusive games I want</quote>

Buy a PS3.

MRPeerson on
    Wii: 5994 4910 0244 5552
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    If Gears and Halo hold no interest to you, get a PS3, hands down. With the exceptions of Fable (2 only, I guess) and some nifty XBLA games like Shadow Complex and Limbo, most everything AAA the 360 has to offer is on PC, whereas the PS3 has Uncharted, MGS4, LittleBigPlanet, God of War III, Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian coming up...just a ton of great exclusives.

Edit: Of course, with Starcraft II just out and Civilization V, Fallout: New Vegas and Deus Ex 3 coming up soon, now might also be a good time to stick with the PC and sit on the decision for a while, maybe listen for the 3DS price and launch date. There's plenty of gaming to be had on the PC as of late. But if you're sure you're ready to go, PS3 hands down.
    This is why people hate these threads. Because it turns into this. If you think Gears and Halo are the only worthwhile titles exclusively on the 360, then you obviously haven't played a 360 much or haven't researched it at least.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited August 2010

This is why people hate these threads. Because it turns into this. If you think Gears and Halo are the only worthwhile titles exclusively on the 360, then you obviously haven't played a 360 much or haven't researched it at least.
    I had one! It was a great system! And then I got a gaming pc, which for me, replaced it. If there are a ton of exclusives on the 360 that you feel deserve mention in the same breath, great, go for it, list them out; it would be helpful to the OP.

It's just that every list of the greatest 360 games I see consists of Halo, Gears, and a bunch of games that are also on PC. By all means, correct me, I didn't mean to troll.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you have a nice computer skip both, most good games are on the PC in better form.

Can't imagine what it's like to miss a whole generation of exclusives. Scary. D:

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I had one! It was a great system! And then I got a gaming pc, which for me, replaced it. If there are a ton of exclusives on the 360 that you feel deserve mention in the same breath, great, go for it, list them out; it would be helpful to the OP.

It's just that every list of the greatest 360 games I see consists of Halo, Gears, and a bunch of games that are also on PC. By all means, correct me, I didn't mean to troll.

Yeah, don't get all mad about it, anoffday, prove him wrong. It doesn't help anyone otherwise.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    And for what it's worth, a $200-300 viable gaming PC alternative is nothing to sneeze at either; I'm certainly not calling the 360 worthless at all.

Perhaps the OP should consider getting the 360's successor and sticking with your current gaming PC/getting a cheap replacement PC next time around, the 360 is making spending the cash on a top of the line PC harder and harder to justify, but if you already have a gaming PC for the moment...

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    360 does seem to have the better port more often the PS3 on multi-platform games more often than not it seems, but it usually seems like the difference is minuscule and comes down to slight "the game looks kinda darker than it should or a little more jagged"etc.etc. . Unless its live related.

edit: Although PS3 does often win in the fighting game category due to control preference.

Granted there are a few where most agree ps3 is the victor (Darksiders seemed like one I read where most agreed the issues plaguing the 360 version were too much).

Seems like you want the ps3 so just get it . As Spectre said :)

Egos on
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

He has a high end PC and honestly I think most all of 360 games are on PC besides a few.

As far as which system to get 360 has some excellent XBLA indie type games, far more than PSN. Though i'm honestly not sure how many are available on PC also. My opinion is if you have a high end PC go PS3. It has nothing to do with any bias, its just when you can play the PC version of console games on a good PC system it pretty much blows away anything you can get equivalent on the console. And PS3 exclusives (the main reason to go PS3 besides blu-ray) almost never have PC versions.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To repeat what was earlier said, multi-platform titles aren't really a great reason to get a PS3, like exclusives are. Mostly because they tend to be, well, better on the Xbox 360. Games like GTAIV get DLC much, much earlier, while others like Tomb Raider Underworld only get DLC on the Xbox 360. Others like Ghostbusters tend to look better.

There are some reversals (where the PS3 version is better), but they seem rare. It's the reason I only own PS exclusives. Combine with a much higher online population on the Xbox 360, there's not a lot of reason to go multiplatform, and if you only owned one or the other, for those titles, the PS3 is the worse of the two options.

Exclusives are an entirely different story. And, of course, your choice of a controller could make a big difference. I strongly dislike the Dual Shock (and have for a long time), so that deters me personally.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've had both at different times. Started out with a 360. I loved my 360, for a time. It has a great online service and some neat toys for Gold members, even if you don't like the exclusives. But for last two years it froze multiple times a day, outright refused to play certain games and I had to send it in to get fixed multiple times. Until the last time when I just gave up and bought a Playstation. And as for my PS3, it's worked perfectly thus far. However, the online service is below par, and online games are generally silent since the system doesn't come with a mic like the Xbox does. But then, playing online is free on the PS3, whereas on the 360 you have to pay.

Both controllers work fine and I don't understand the bias some people have towards one over the other. There isn't much of a difference. There aren't many exclusives anymore either, but most of the 360 first party games are also on PC so maybe that makes a difference to you. All in all, I'd say it comes down to whether you want to play with your friends or have a machine that actually works.

Also I'm irrevocably biased, so maybe I'm not a great source.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ... or have a machine that actually works.

This is pretty disingenuous. I'm not sure what the current failure rates are, but plenty of PS3s fail. I imagine that failure rates between the XBox 360 S and whatever gen the current PS3 is are pretty similar. Saying that is simply prejudicial and has no place in a thread like this these days.

I have a gaming rig and an XBox 360. They serve different gaming needs. I prefer my first person shooters and strategy titles on the PC, pretty much everything else on the XBox. I love my XBox and I'm not a fan of Halo or Gears, so there's that I guess.

I'd suggest getting an XBox just for Castle Crashers, but that's probably not cost effective. :P However, Microsoft has really made the platform attractive for indie developers, which is a massive plus.

The cost of Live Gold has never bothered me because I've never paid it - none of my friends own consoles and I got a lifetime's worth of bullshit from the gaming community playing WoW as long as I did so I just have it for single player and party games.

EDIT: I'd like to add that I played Gran Turismo 3 an absolute shitton. And Forza offers all the same goodness with a few things GT doesn't. I haven't tried out GT5, so who knows, but if you want a PS3 for GT5, Forza 3 is at least as good if not better.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The failure rates aren't even close, Castle Crashers is on both consoles and I said I was biased!

Also I don't think GT5 is actually out. Prologue was like a $40 demo.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I;'m kind of in this weird limbo myself. I have the finances to buy the 360 right now but I already owned it before and I actually have two just sitting next to the wall, broken. I repaired them and kept them going for as long as they'd last but eventually they just took too much work. More games interest me on the 360 abd I can use it in my bedroom meaning I don't have to wait forr everybody to go to bed or out to play it.

PS3 would have to go into the living room which means limited play but on the plus side all my real-life friends on the PS3 as opposed to the 360. Also it's a blu-ray player, which is redundant since I watch everything on the laptop and hook it up to the main tv in the living room which in itself isn't even full-HD but try telling my idiotic brother that who#s hell bent on getting the PS3 despite not wanting to pay a penny. Woah..... Long sentence.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For arguments sake, I'd like to know what apart from cross game chat makes the ps3 online sub par. I've played tonnes of online games and had no bad experiences apart from the rare SFIV match with a little lag. But then Demon's Souls has been fine when I've been a blue phantom or had blue phantoms, I played lots of Borderlands with no issues, some online Wipeout HD and Juiced 2 races, and ghostbusters.

Also, why is it chat only comes up in 2 instances: When people wanna slam PS3 for not coming with a mic or having cross game chat and when people wanna complain about the obscene 12 y/o's who shouldn't be allowed on their console?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It seems mainly lobby related...

Egos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's not that it lags more or something like that. It's just formatted poorly. Xbox Live is much easier to use, and has more features to it. Even small things like notifying you that you have a message is better on the 360 (as in, you actually notice it - half the time I get an invite or a message on PSN I miss it completely).

• Options
    edited August 2010
    eternalbl wrote: »
    This.

To be fair, the real question he's asking is about good games or features that he might've never heard of that could sway his opinion on which console to get. I don't have a 360, so I can't really recommend its good games though.

;) He's right, I've basically ignored consoles this round. Only the big stuff has come to my attention.

I am definitely leaning PS3, moreso now though. It really does seem like the Xbox and PC sort of occupy the same gaming space. A lot of the killer Xbla games make their way to the PC anyway. I guess that hasn't really hurt MS, as they sell a zillion of those things.

I had an oxbox, PS2 and GC. The oxbox had it's fair share of really cool exclusives, including some more interesting stuff like gunvalkrie and oddworld. I just don't see that for the 360 and it seemed strange.

Wicked Uncle Ernie on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A related question I have is about the wisdom of buying either system used. Are there any risks inherent in buying a used system that can't be fixed by sending it in for a repair?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Microsoft is probably the same way, but Sony has a policy (I'm not sure if it's enforced) that says a console which has been tampered with they will refuse to repair, even for out of warranty repairs.

Fortunately, I can say the YLOD repair that involves removing the heatsink, replacing the thermal paste, and adding washers so the heatsink is held to the processor more tightly works, unfortunately in my case it only worked for a matter of a week or 2 each time I repaired it. I could see someone trading in a PS3 or 360 that they just couldn't get to consistantly repair by making sure it was working just for when they took it in.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png