As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Windows software raid fuckup (edit: nevermind?)

DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
So, I was trying to set up software RAID on my storage drive on my computer and I think I might have screwed something up.

I've got a 640GB boot drive and a 1500GB storage drive. I bought another 1500GB drive recently and wanted to mirror them, and since I cheaped out when buying my motherboard, I was going to use Windows's software mirroring. They're not the boot drive, so no problem, right?

So in Computer Management I right-clicked on the drive with all my stuff on it, clicked "Add mirror", and I thought I was setting the other (blank) drive to mirror the full drive.

Only now, the full drive is showing up as "unallocated" and so is the other one. Have I accidentally mirrored the blank drive onto the full drive? Am I completely screwed?

EDIT:
Okay, so I used a program called TestDisk to recover the old partition table and now the data is visible again (I knew the thing hadn't been whirring and grinding enough to have copied the blank disk's data over the good disk!). But it looks like I've followed the "add mirror" directions exactly, so why the hell did it just give me a heart attack like that?

edit 2: just did the same thing again and now it worked fine, so, uh, I give up. Some kind of fluke? Ugh, I need to move to hardware RAID, because this Windows software RAID is bullshit.

Daedalus on