As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Incendiary Ammo makes Krogan extra crispy.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    I'm just throwing this out there but do any of you think a Mass Effect style RPG would work better as a first-person game? And I mean everything, including the dialog scenes.

I also want some more Machine Guns in ME3, so that my squaddies can lay down some better covering/suppressive fire (which should also be a command that you can give to your squadmates).

Nah, Mass effect is set up to be like your playing through a movie, FPP would change the story telling of the game.

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Honestly don't see why one would want it to be first person anyway. Not to mention my Shepard is dead sexy and I want to have my eyes on him at all times.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly don't see why one would want it to be first person anyway. Not to mention my Shepard is dead sexy and I want to have my eyes on him at all times.

I based my Shepard on Michael Cera also
    swoops in to ruin another Mass Effect thread

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    I'm just throwing this out there but do any of you think a Mass Effect style RPG would work better as a first-person game? And I mean everything, including the dialog scenes.

I also want some more Machine Guns in ME3, so that my squaddies can lay down some better covering/suppressive fire (which should also be a command that you can give to your squadmates).

First person would blow chunks with a cover-based shooter. Be more realistic, and also more vomit-inducing. And with the dialog scenes it just doesn't work as well. See also: Morrowind. By making it third person they can do much more interesting tricks with the camera to express emotion, intensity, etc., especially for dialog and cutscenes.

Suppressing fire only works if the enemy cares about being hit. I don't see that being helpful without a pretty drastic revamp of both the mechanics and the AI.

In all, I'd say they've got a pretty winning combination right now; any changes I'd expect to be iterative rather than innovative.

Is Morrowind or Oblivion a good example to compare to when talking about first-person dialog scenes, or dialog at all? I never finished Morrowind (a crime, I know), but finished Oblivion and from what I remember the game paused everything else when you went into dialog, keeping the player staring at the other person's face. I'm talking about dialog where the other person(s) have free movement and the game is still moving outside of the dialog. Something more like Half-Life 2 while keeping you in a fixed position maybe.

In terms of the combat, I just find it too simple. Even with my Adept I just setup behind covers, place my squadmates behind some decent cover and fire as many Singularities and Warps as it takes to take out the enemy. I'll only die if decide to poke out my head at some inopportune time. This is on Insanity of course. I don't think suppressive/covering fire is going to fix that, but it would certainly help in places like Garrus' recruitment mission (i.e. the garage and the hall) where moving from cover to cover was difficult.

And I wish more games would combine control schemes. EndWar already showed that you could combine voice communication and and conventional controllers, so why don't they implement this keyword tech in more games? I would guess its a localization and accessibility issue though, but still, it's invaluable in a squad-based game where bringing up the power wheel or pressing the shift key is just a unwelcome break in the action.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

First person would blow chunks with a cover-based shooter. Be more realistic, and also more vomit-inducing. And with the dialog scenes it just doesn't work as well. See also: Morrowind. By making it third person they can do much more interesting tricks with the camera to express emotion, intensity, etc., especially for dialog and cutscenes.

Suppressing fire only works if the enemy cares about being hit. I don't see that being helpful without a pretty drastic revamp of both the mechanics and the AI.

In all, I'd say they've got a pretty winning combination right now; any changes I'd expect to be iterative rather than innovative.

Is Morrowind or Oblivion a good example to compare to when talking about first-person dialog scenes, or dialog at all? I never finished Morrowind (a crime, I know), but finished Oblivion and from what I remember the game paused everything else when you went into dialog, keeping the player staring at the other person's face. I'm talking about dialog where the other person(s) have free movement and the game is still moving outside of the dialog. Something more like Half-Life 2 while keeping you in a fixed position maybe.

In terms of the combat, I just find it too simple. Even with my Adept I just setup behind covers, place my squadmates behind some decent cover and fire as many Singularities and Warps as it takes to take out the enemy. I'll only die if decide to poke out my head at some inopportune time. This is on Insanity of course. I don't think suppressive/covering fire is going to fix that, but it would certainly help in places like Garrus' recruitment mission (i.e. the garage and the hall) where moving from cover to cover was difficult.

And I wish more games would combine control schemes. EndWar already showed that you could combine voice communication and and conventional controllers, so why don't they implement this keyword tech in more games? I would guess its a localization and accessibility issue though, but still, it's invaluable in a squad-based game where bringing up the power wheel or pressing the shift key is just a unwelcome break in the action.

The Rainbow Six 3 port on the Xbox let you use voice commands to tell your squad what to do, but it has a lot of trouble with anyone who doesn't have a perfect lack of accent or tone.

Also: Killzone 2 did the first person cover thing, and I think a lot of people didn't like it because of motion sick and stuff.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Not to mention that has more to do with AI in gaming generally sucking rather than anything based on perspective.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Level 60 and Insanity run achieved 8-)

captaink on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    first person is dumb because you cannot see Shepard

that's the high and low of it

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A first person role playing shooter could work, but it wouldn't be Mass Effect.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Fallout 3?

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

Fallout 3?

Well, both Mass Effects were quality games, so yes, a game made by Bethesda would differ from that quite a bit.

reVerse on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Morrowind is my benchmark, in part because it showed how much suck the first person perspective is when trying to have a cinematic experience, which is what Mass Effect is all about. You don't like that? How about Fallout 3? Same problem. Half Life 2 works for a mute protagonist that never makes any choices, but it still feels silly as all getout and emphatically is not a cinematic experience.

Are you sure that isn't just overplaying? At this point with most classes I find it fairly easy even on Insanity, but that's because I've sunk far too many hours into it. The first and second time around it was a challenge. AI is still a challenge to do properly. Things have come a long way from Wolfenstein 3D, but there's much further to go before we have adaptive human-like AI out there, and that's what keeps multiplayer games going.

With the new weapons, I found myself using every single weapon class regularly as a Soldier, which is in stark contrast to my earlier run of nothing but Revananting it up as soon as I had it in hand. I enjoyed my Insanity Adept run, which was mostly about stripping the defenses off, firing a singularity, and then detonating it with a warp. So I dunno.

You can order your troops to attack a target, move to target, and use a specific power without ever bringing up the shift menu, so if you don't like to break up the action, don't use it. I suck at shooters, so I abuse the crap out of it to place a precisely timed overload on top of that explosive canister. And that's what it's there for, I'd think--to make the game more accessible.

Voice comms is nice, but definitely runs into localization and accent issues. I wouldn't want to be the one to try to implement that.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    voice commands are slow and unresponsive, and it doesn't help immerson that Mordin is listening to me instead of Jennifer Hale

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is Morrowind or Oblivion a good example to compare to when talking about first-person dialog scenes, or dialog at all?

One thing that always weirded me out about that was I'd be idling along, perhaps on my horse, and then someone would catch up to me or start a conversation as I went by, and my head would slowly, inexorably turn to face them, unable to resist their will, until I was staring into their hideous visage.

What I'm saying is everyone in that world is a master vampire.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is Morrowind or Oblivion a good example to compare to when talking about first-person dialog scenes, or dialog at all?

One thing that always weirded me out about that was I'd be idling along, perhaps on my horse, and then someone would catch up to me or start a conversation as I went by, and my head would slowly, inexorably turn to face them, unable to resist their will, until I was staring into their hideous visage.

It's even creepier when you are idling in a tunnel or something, and not really focusing in the game and then suddenly OHMYGODADISGUSTINGFACEOUTOFNOWHEREAAARRGHHITSSPEAKINGTOME

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

if ME is first person how am i supposed to stare at shepards ass as he decimates things.

her.

her ass i mean

I meant her ass.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's even creepier when you are idling in a tunnel or something, and not really focusing in the game and then suddenly OHMYGODADISGUSTINGFACEOUTOFNOWHEREAAARRGHHITSSPEAKINGTOME
    The Elder Scrolls are just a consistently horrific looking set of games when it comes down to character models

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

The Elder Scrolls are just a consistently horrific looking set of games when it comes down to character models

Bethseda can't model/animate/hire good voice actors.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

its really disturbing that the mod community can use the character creation tools in the damn games and create people that look somewhat human.

its like bethesda just cant be bothered.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    this is why I'm glad id and Bethesda have joined forces

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just finished Mass Effect 2 today.

Then it was sunny outside, so I went into the garden to do some weeding.

All I could think as I bent over those damn horsetails was "I wish I had a weed IFF"

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

its really disturbing that the mod community can use the character creation tools in the damn games and create people that look somewhat human.

If by somewhat human, you mean flat textured japanese blow up dolls.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

what the hell mods have you been downloading?

nevermind i dont want to know

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Well I do.

What? Don't judge me.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Let's just say that when you give internet people the ability to mess around with female body models(both young and old...and very young in some cases), they tend to go a bit wild with it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Let's just say that when you give internet people the ability to mess around with female body models(both young and old...and very young in some cases), they tend to go a bit wild with it.

Implications Unpleasent

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Like 90% of Morrowind/Oblivion's mods are sexy clothes mods or sexy companion mods.

Oh, internet.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Have you been to the model section of Falloutnexus?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Like 90% of Morrowind/Oblivion's mods are sexy clothes mods or sexy companion mods.

Oh, internet.

Working on a sexy clothes mod for Mordin now.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You say that like that chest ridge and q-ray neck thing aren't smokin'.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You know, it's probably a good thing that there are no advanced mod tools for ME2, because you know it could only result in naked Tali and Garrus models as far as the eye can see.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You say that like that chest ridge and q-ray neck thing aren't smokin'.

IF THAT WAS ALL HE HAD ON.

AMIRITE?

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ad astra wrote: »
    You know, it's probably a good thing that there are no advanced mod tools for ME2, because you know it could only result in naked Tali and Garrus models as far as the eye can see.

Naked EDI models.

Unf.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Naked EDI models.

Unf.

Isn't EDI already naked?

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Naked EDI models.

Unf.

Isn't EDI already naked?

But now you can see all her hot, hot circuits.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    EDI is a vagina

Cerberus logo is a vagina

vaginas everywhere

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's right, take off that heatsink. Take it all off. Oh yeah. You're a dirty little AI aren't you. You like that thermal grease? You're getting me hot.
    D:

Orca on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's right, take off that heatsink. Take it all off. Oh yeah. You're a dirty little AI aren't you. You like that thermal grease? You're getting me hot.
    D:

Oh yeah baby, show me what an unshackled AI can really do.

D:
    :winky:

Ad astra on
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    this thread

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    never change, Mass Effect thread