As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Got screwed on eBay - What are my options? -UPDATED

RialeRiale I'm a little slowRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I rarely use eBay (maybe five total purchases) largely because of issues like this. Because of my lack of familiarity with it, I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point (or if there even is anything I can do).

I ordered a Collector's Edition copy of the newest Everquest 2 expansion (specifically this game). The game was advertised as Like New - Mint condition by the seller, which, according to their description meant that all items were included (box, discs, extras, MANUAL, etc) and were in close to new condition.

I received the item yesterday, and everything is included, except for the manual with the activation code. In other words, the actual item that would allow me to create an account (or add this collector's edition to my current account) is gone. All I have is a box (which by the way, is crushed to hell/covered in glue residue and certainly not mint condition) and some of the collector's edition boxed extras which I don't give two silly gooses about (I only want the in-game items from the code).

I've contacted the seller, and his response has basically been that he has no idea what I'm talking about and he never tampered with anything and that everything should have been included.

Am I just screwed? He doesn't seem willing to make a return, because there's no way I can verify that I didn't get the code in the box, and there's nothing I can really do to prove that to him. Should I just swallow my losses and make a mental note not to buy crap from eBay anymore? Is there some other avenue I should take?

33c9nxz.gif
Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
Riale on

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Riale wrote: »
    Should I just swallow my losses and make a mental note not to buy crap from eBay anymore?

I wouldn't swear off Ebay entirely, but don't use it to buy things like single-use codes that aren't listed as New - In Box.

Can't help with the complaint process as I've never done it.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    contact ebay/paypal -they have processes for this

hope you paid by paypal and credit card

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The seller's insatiable love for caps lock should have tipped you off to look elsewhere.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You aren't totally out of luck.

If the seller is unresponsive, start a claim with both eBay and Paypal. Worst case scenario is they have you ship it back to him with tracking information and they reverse the funds back into your account once they see it's been delivered to the seller's address.

Also, he cannot leave you a negative feedback, but you can leave him one. Make sure he knows that if he doesn't pick up the item on his own dime, that you'll be leaving him a negative feedback and starting a Paypal claim. Most sellers will try and get out of refunding a customer until they are threatened with the prospect of receiving a negative feedback.

darqness on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    darqness wrote: »
    You aren't totally out of luck.

If the seller is unresponsive, start a claim with both eBay and Paypal. Worst case scenario is they have you ship it back to him with tracking information and they reverse the funds back into your account once they see it's been delivered to the seller's address.

Also, he cannot leave you a negative feedback, but you can leave him one. Make sure he knows that if he doesn't pick up the item on his own dime, that you'll be leaving him a negative feedback and starting a Paypal claim. Most sellers will try and get out of refunding a customer until they are threatened with the prospect of receiving a negative feedback.

He looks like a fairly prolific seller, most of which are terrified of negative feedback, so this is the way to go.

NODe on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    eBay may have some type of buyer protection for you. Regardless, if you paid via PayPal, you can file a complaint. Only thing is that you have to keep the complaint form updated or they will close it due to non activity and assume the situation resolved itself.

So, file a complaint both with eBay and PayPal stating the item was not as described and you'll get your money back.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    eBay may have some type of buyer protection for you. Regardless, if you paid via PayPal, you can file a complaint. Only thing is that you have to keep the complaint form updated or they will close it due to non activity and assume the situation resolved itself.

I learned this lesson the hard way. A seller told me he would take care of an issue, and I just let it sit. Turns out he just waited long enough for the case to be "resolved" and I got screwed. Make sure you stay on top of your claim.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, file a claim with eBay / PayPal for . . . man, I forget the exact term, it's something like "item not in condition advertised." PayPal is heavily weighted in favor of the buyer and will probably award you the money even if the seller doesn't want to refund it. You have 45 days from the start of the transaction to file with PayPal.

But first send another e-mail to the seller saying indicating that because the manual was not in the box, you're very unsatisfied with the transaction, without the manual the game is worthless and so he has not lived up to his end of the bargain, etc. Do NOT directly say "Send me the manual or I will leave you negative feedback." Because eBay might consider that feedback extortion, which is against its rules and can get you in trouble.

LadyM on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I filed an eBay claim and left him negative feedback. Now he's going to issue a full return, so I'm mailing it back today. Lesson learned.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Track that package. He might try to screw you with the whole "oops never got package no stuffz no refundz lololol!!!11!!one" bullshit.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, an update. My girlfriend received the same item, from the same seller (we ordered copies together) and hers came intact with the code. Apparently my copy was just the unlucky one.

The seller received the package, but not before freaking out about the negative feedback. As it doesn't appear this was his fault, I went ahead and modified the feedback.

Now, he has the package, but he's giving me some runaround about Paypal having my money and being unable to refund me. He also is giving some hoopla about how he would have been willing to email me the activation code from another box (funny how he never offered that earlier...) but of course he's just sold his last copy (how convenient?).

Now I'm out the return shipping cost (which wasn't cheap, I'm moving soon so I wanted to get this all sorted out fast before my address changes and further complicates things) as well as the cost of the product, AND I have nothing to show for it. I've tried to go through Paypal, but when I file a claim on Paypal it takes me back to the Ebay claims process, which I've already gone through (and the seller responded to previously stating he would give a full refund).

Is there anything else I can do, or is this the point where I just cut my losses?

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can you fill out another claims process and modify your feedback back to negative?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, an update. My girlfriend received the same item, from the same seller (we ordered copies together) and hers came intact with the code. Apparently my copy was just the unlucky one.

The seller received the package, but not before freaking out about the negative feedback. As it doesn't appear this was his fault, I went ahead and modified the feedback.

Now, he has the package, but he's giving me some runaround about Paypal having my money and being unable to refund me. He also is giving some hoopla about how he would have been willing to email me the activation code from another box (funny how he never offered that earlier...) but of course he's just sold his last copy (how convenient?).

Now I'm out the return shipping cost (which wasn't cheap, I'm moving soon so I wanted to get this all sorted out fast before my address changes and further complicates things) as well as the cost of the product, AND I have nothing to show for it. I've tried to go through Paypal, but when I file a claim on Paypal it takes me back to the Ebay claims process, which I've already gone through (and the seller responded to previously stating he would give a full refund).

Is there anything else I can do, or is this the point where I just cut my losses?

You just let the seller walk away scot-free on this. He's got no reason to give your money back now.

Negative feedback is the most potent weapon buyers have against silly geese sellers on eBay, and you gave him what he wanted for free- the feedback change- for what he would have refunded your money for. You'll never see a dime of that money again, so just chalk it up to experience and find a new copy.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Now, he has the package, but he's giving me some runaround about Paypal having my money and being unable to refund me.

He may be referring to when Paypal puts a hold on the money for the transaction. Did you start a Paypal claim on top of the eBay claim? Generally they take the money from the seller's account and hold it until the claim is over.

What should have happened is:

1. You start a Paypal claim.
    2. They pull the money from his account.
    3. They require that you return the package with tracking information.
    4. Once they see that the package has been delivered to the seller, they put the money back into your account.

darqness on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have to say, you can't really place all the blame on eBay for this. You made a few pretty naive mistakes. Mind you, naive in that you were ignorant as to how fucking shady eBay sellers can sometimes be and how suspicious buyers must always be.

When he offered a refund, you should have waited until that actually happened before giving the positive feedback.

Now, you'll still get your money back, but it's up to Paypal now. File a claim with them. Keep all message histories. Keep your tracking number/receipt for the return shipment. Screenshot the listing in case it magically disappears.

Edit: And with shipping you saved what, 7 bucks instead of just walking into Bestbuy for this game? Lesson learned about buying software/games off eBay. eBay sellers don't have some magical supply of products they get for dirt cheap and pass the savings on to you. They price it so it seems like a steal, rape you on shipping, and you end up in the same boat as if you walked into any old store for the game.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Figgy wrote: »
    Edit: And with shipping you saved what, 7 bucks instead of just walking into Bestbuy for this game? Lesson learned about buying software/games off eBay. eBay sellers don't have some magical supply of products they get for dirt cheap and pass the savings on to you. They price it so it seems like a steal, rape you on shipping, and you end up in the same boat as if you walked into any old store for the game.

It's a collector's edition for a game that came out in January. They're not available in stores anywhere, hence why I was going through Ebay.

Yes, I know I made some mistakes, but in my defense they don't make the process very easy to understand for someone who isn't familiar with online bidding.

When I go to the resolution center in Paypal and attempt to start that process, it brings me directly to the Ebay resolution center webpage every time, which is where I've already filed a claim. It appears to be the same process.

I also don't think I have the tracking no. for the package anymore (Like I said, moving in a couple days, so every this is hectic/a mess right now) so it's more or less a lost cause. The headache from this really isn't worth it to me anymore. If he refunds me he refunds me. If not, then I guess I've learned not to bother with Ebay anymore.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif